CairnTalk

Getting to know YOU

Teri9672

It's probably time I introduced myself.

I'm Angie and I have two Cairns, a husband, and a two and half year old. I graduate with my BA this December and am very excited about that. I am a Humanities major and have minors in Psychology and Professional Writing and Editing. In my free time I like to hike, walk, kayak, and read non-school books. Luckily, I live in a great part of the country for all those things :D .

I got Benny four years ago after doing a lot of research about dog breeds. I knew I wanted a small, spunky, but still sweet dog and that is what I got. A year after I got Benny I got married and a few months after that we had a baby. When Benny was three I noticed he seemed a little sad, so we decided to get him a friend. Little Kimmy perked Benny right up and completed our family.

• 2 weeks later...

I have been a member of this forum for a while now, but realized never told you about myself. So here goes...my name is Lynda and I have been married to my husband for 35 years now (we met in high school) and we have two grown children and one grandchild. I have been enjoying being a grandmother very much. We lived in Massachusetts until our youngest child went off to college, then moved to Connecticut for my husbands work. So the joke around the house is that we moved away from our kids. My husband works in the IT industry and I'm an Administrative Assistant. Most of our spare time is filled with traveling to visit someone...kids, parents, family, etc. all are MA and yes we do some traveling for ourselves.

We fell in love with the cairns when my kids were very young...25 yrs ago we got our first cairn. Mandy was a black brindle full of spirit and perfect for a family with active kids. After Mandy passed away our family was devasted so the kids (including hubby) decided we need two dogs. So the hunt was on again to find another cairn (Penny) and this time we decided to get a westie (Casey) so they would have each other as the kids were busy with school and other teenage activities. ;)

Last year we lost Penny to cancer and again devasted. My husband and I decided that we wanted to get another cairn and got Bailey last August. So I guess you can say that the cairn breed has captured our hearts, but I do have to add that my westie is very special too. I love having the two of them.

Thanks for listening.

• 2 weeks later...

Registered today because my friend who has been using the forum for about a year now keeps giving me large 'hints' about it in the hope that I will sign up.

Have 4 Cairns - all bitches and 4 generations - 3 of them I bred myself.

Have been involved with terriers for about 30-something years, starting out with West Highland White Terriers.

My Cairn ownership goes back about 16 years and I have done a bit of showing although I don't pursue this now.

I used to cover one of the 'shifts' for the Cairn Terrier Discover Dogs stand at Crufts, which was exhausting for me but more so for the dogs as they had to endure being patted, stroked, admired and demonstrated on.

They've all gone to bed now so I'm off too. Best wishes to all.

Poppy4

animal0019.gif

Welcome to the Forum!! It's good to have another member from the UK on board. I'm sure with your background & experience with Cairns, you will be a great help to those of us who muddle through raising ours. My better-half & I have 2 wonderful Cairns, a 6 yr old male & a 3 yr old female. I think it would be great to have 4, but lack of space and good sense tell me that's not probably going to happen to us. We look forward to your posts & some pictures of your pack.

Jim

Jim, Connie, Bailey & Sophie

FLOWERCHILD-1-1.jpgBAILEYSOPHIE4-22-07002-1.jpg

• 3 weeks later...

Hello everyone!

My name is Bonnie and me and my Fiance Will live in Baltimore City, Maryland. We got Gretsch about four weeks ago now, boy how times flies! Such a cute little creature, I don't mind waking up at 4 am if he whines go out. I'm just glad he lets me know! We decided we wanted a pooch when we moved, we made sure our building was pet friendly- we also have an older cat. He has been such a bright light in our lives, and keeps us very busy! I am currently a senior at MICA, about to get my BA in Illustration. I got my AA in Wilmington at the Delaware College of Art and Design. I hope to do children's picture books for my career. I have a blog where I post my newest art, I am currently working on a book about raising a puppy and responsibility for kids. (featuring a Cairn of course!) I have first hand experience now!!! My love Will is a Sous Chef at a catering company, Gretsch loves his chicken, which he gets every night for dinner! (he eats better than us!) We researched breeds last year and in May found a breeder. Gretsch was born July 8 and we brought him home August 28. He has been a pleasure and is oh-so smart! He makes some of the cutest noises I've ever heard!

We plan on one day moving to Annapolis or the Eastern Shore, where we're from. (Chestertown)

post-4289-12541036420059_thumb.png

He's got one ear up so far! 11 weeks.

• 5 weeks later...

Hi,

My name is Molly. My husband, 2 children and I live in Michigan. We currently have two dogs,an Aussie Mix that I play at agility with, and a Collie that I am showing in Conformation. We also have horses & chickens, and are active in 4-H.

I've been wanting to add a third dog to the mix for a while, and hope to find a Cairn pup within the next couple of years.

Hi Molly, and welcome to the Forum. My DW & I, and our 2 Cairns, Bailey & Sophie, are also Michiganders. It sound like a Cairn would be a great fit in your little menagerie. What part of MI are you folks in?

Jim

• 2 months later...

Hello!!

Im Christina, and Im sure theres a Canadian version of this site somewhere, but I found this one first :P I live in Toronto, Ontario and got my Cairn about 5 weeks ago. I actually adopted him from my roommate who bought him but did not bond with him at all. I was home all the time and not working then, and did bond with him. She then gave me custody of the little guy, and Ive been madly in love with him since day 1!

I'm 30 years old (or 20 with 10 years experience as I like to say!) and just recently moved back to Toronto from Columbus, Ohio. I lived out there for 2 years with my boyfriend at the time but we have now since broken up. wallE came into my life, just as the bf was making his exit. Im currently working as a server in a restaurant, but its just a stepping stone, since Im just now reestablishing life back here. If there's anything anybody needs to know about me, I LOVE karaoke! :D Thats about all for now!

• Like 1

Puntuation MAKES the post

My name is Kileen & my husband, Ryan, and I will celebrate our 1 year anniversary next month. I am a postdoctoral fellow in medical microbiology and my DH is a computer & electrical engineer. We have our 3 year old Cairn, Kenna, a 7 month old Whoodle (soft-coated wheaton terrier x poodle, sacrilege, I know) named Whoody, and a 7 year old cat, Keiko. We live in Los Angeles. I haven't been on the forum in a couple years, too busy with personal life, but as things settle down, I hope to visit a little more regularly. I've always loved the stories, pictures, and advice, and this forum really helped me manage life with an adolescent Cairn.

• Like 1

• 4 months later...

I guess this is as good a place as any to introduce myself, lol. My name is Jayme. I live in rural Kansas and am married. I've got an 8 year old daughter and a 6 year old son and am expecting a little Cairn boy in the next few weeks. He'll be coming to my home as soon as he's old enough to leave his breeder. We are thinking is name will be Max. I'll have to post pictures when he comes home.

Welcome to the Forum, and as I like to say "CAIRNGRATULATIONS!!!!" on the upcoming addition to your family. I'll bet you & your family are anxious to get your hands on Max, & get some of those puppy kisses. You'll find lots of nice folks here, and we're all willing to give help & advice when it's asked for. Cairns are the greatest, and Kansas is a natural place for a Toto-dog. Be sure to post lots of pix as soon as Max gets home.

Jim

• 3 weeks later...

Howdy. My name is Jarrod. I'm a filmmaker. Documentaries, surf films, music videos, short films... I posted a short film and a music video starring Hank in the Member Gallery in the Cairn Life section. I take waaaaaaaay too many pictures of Hank. Hank is my best friend. I got him a couple days after New Years 2009. He was born on October 28th 2008. He was smaller than my forearm when I brought him home :)

I like writing, taking photos, making movies, reading, surfing, golf and all kinds of music. I really like the original American country... along the lines of Waylon Jennings or Hank Williams. I like Hank Williams so much that I named my Cairn after him. My Cairn, Hank, is officially named 'Hank Williams Rough-n-Tough S.O.B.'

We have a lot of fun together. We go to the beach every morning. Hank's been going to the beach since he was about 3 months old. He swims in the surf when the waves are small.

Hank has changed my life and the way I see the world for the better =)

Hank, Merle and me.

-----

http://www.hankfilm.com

Idaho Cairns

Welcome Jarrod--we share an appreciation of not only Cairn Terriers but of good "old" country music--tho mine is more in the Hoyt Axton, Don Williams, Vern Gosdin vein. Not only that but your Hank and my little Bonnie are a month apart in age! I understand.

My name is Laura, sometime between this Christmas and New Years, Miley joined my family, she's a 2 yr old Cairn,Yorkie mix.

i got her from a family who'd only had her for 2 weeks before they had allergies to her and didn't want to take her back to the shelter in Indiana, So she's had at least 3 families, She is the bright spot of my day. Sshe is such a terrier she thinks she's the best :)

• 2 weeks later...

Hi,

My name is Sandi and I just lost my best friend unexpectedly. We were visiting family in Atlanta. I feel so lost without my sweet Chloe! She would have turned 12 on June 16th, but passed away on the 14th. We even shared the same birthday! I feel as though someone ripped out a part of my heart. How will I return home without her?

Thanks for listening.

Sandi

• 1 month later...

Hi, my name is Maggie, from the UK and I got my first Cairn at the beginning of June. His name is Scruffy and he was born on 6th April so he's almost 4 months old now. I can't imagine life without him now, I just retired and wanted a pal to go places with me and enjoy exploring. He has turned our lives upside down!! in a nice way.

I am a member of the UK Cairn Talk and see some of you are members here too. I have been reading lots of your posts and already found some very useful info. original.gif

www.cairnterriertalk.co.uk

Hi everyone! I just joined tonight and I'm really excited to be here!

I'm Sarah. I'm 31 and live in Thunder Bay, Ontario. I work as a cook in a popular restaurant in town (way TOO popular in my opinion) and I enjoy making crafts.

I am the proud owner of a rescued Cairn by the name of Ginger. She's the apple of my eye and my world pretty much revolves around her. She's 4, a little spitfire, and obsessed with balls and eating paper. She is currently in agility and really enjoying it. Flyball will be our next attempt (she's got the love for the tennis ball and is very keen on bringing it back to me so I can throw it for her again). She's not very Cairn like since I will always believe that my family's first Cairn, Scamp, was the precise definition of a Cairn Terrier. Ginger is quiet, quite obedient, not as stubborn, she needs the comfort pf her kennel to keep her safe when she's home alone, and when she did get out at my Grandpa's house (while I was out of town) she came home looking for me.

Well there is more about Ginger than me, but I promise, she's way more interesting than I!

Hope everyone is well and I can't wait to start talking to everyone on here!

Sarah and Ginger

• 1 month later...

Hey everyone,

I'm Stephanie (25) and I've been married to Chris (24) for almost 4 years. We live in Mitchell, South Dakota, home of the world famous Corn Palace :-D. We have 3 dogs, Cairn Terrier "Missy" (3), Papillon "Rocko" (3) and Min Pin "Flash" (2).

post-5006-12828577467906_thumb.jpg

post-5006-12828577689411_thumb.jpg

post-5006-12828577760777_thumb.jpg

• 4 weeks later...

Hi Everyone,

My name is Lisa, I live in Maine. I am 39 years old and I have been married to my husband John for 8 years. We have no children but we have a little cairn named Harry. Harry just turned 8 months old and is prooving to be every inch a cairn. My husband is my very best friend and we enjoy lots of hiking, skiing, biking, scuba diving and boating. We take Harry everywhere with us and he has become a lover of my kayak. I enjoy this forum very much and I am very grateful to all of you other cairn lovers who have helped me out so much during our first year as puppy owners!! Thank you!

Hi Lisa This is Sandy (we used to ride together to work!) I can't believe I've tripped over you on this (of all web sites) I've been wanting to get back in touch with you as our little Molly passed away in June and we have just put a deposit down on a Cairn with a breeder here in Maine. I was fortunate enough to contact your old boss and have your phone number and was going to contact you for any tips you might be able to give me once we have our new baby. We will be getting her just before Thanksgiving (Nov. 19th) Hope all is well with you and can't wait to see and Harry again.

Husband and dog missing ...25 cents reward for dog