CairnTalk

Getting to know YOU

Teri9672

Hi

Just found this forum, Sam from Pa.

10 year old Wheaton named Robert Elvis Ishkabibble...........goes by Bob. Fantastic dog, great watchdog and Hunter who keeps Moms garden free of groundhogs.

awards010-1.jpg

awards011.jpg

Scouting for fish

bobfish007.jpg

IMG_0032.jpg

groundhog005.jpg

Welcome to the forum! Love the pictures--Bob certainly has the Cairn expressions down pat and I really am impressed with his ground hog hunting--we don't have them in our urban areas here but I have wondered what a Cairn would do with these animals--now I know. Instinct is such an interesting thing. Handsome fellow your Bob--give him a pat and a "good dog" for me.

Welcome to the forum! Love the pictures--Bob certainly has the Cairn expressions down pat and I really am impressed with his ground hog hunting--we don't have them in our urban areas here but I have wondered what a Cairn would do with these animals--now I know. Instinct is such an interesting thing. Handsome fellow your Bob--give him a pat and a "good dog" for me.

Thanks for the Welcome.

You are right about the hunting instinct. Over the past 3 years He has done away with 15 Groundhogs. I have a 6 foot privacy fence around the back yard that backs up to woodlands. The groundhogs were constantly digging trenches under the fence to get into the garden.

Bob weighs in at 18 pounds, last year He took on a Groundgog that went close to 20 pounds, and once they see a prey and corner it, there is not much you can do to get them away.

Wish I could have filmed that one. He had the GH cornered and standing on its hind legs like Godzilla. Don't know if others have observed this in Cairn's while they are hunting, but Bob kept just out of reach and kept hopping back and forth, which had the grounhogs head on a swivel like he was watching a tennis match. After about 6 hops, He had the ground hog out of sync and lunged for the throat and held on....I have seen him hunt this way on a few of the larger ones.

The smaller ones he just grabs and shakes and they are done.

Poses with them and then is done with them.

groundhog014-1.jpg

A full grown groundhog would be a formidable foe for the average Cairn--obviously Bob doesn't feel undergunned. I love it--I have seen my go after mice and rabbits, chase deer, but no groundhogs yet. We have a smaller version of groundhog out here, about half the size, we call them whistle pigs, now our dogs are entranced with those little guys but they rarely get a chance at them.

When I brought my 2 Koi in from outside to a 55 gallon tank in the basement, He was fascinated with them for weeks, and they Him, had staring contests . Now when I feed them their fish pellets, Bob has to get a couple also or He feels left out.

IMG_0060.jpg

• 4 weeks later...

I am Caroline and I am owned by Dash, who was given to me as a four year old two years ago. I could not have wished for a better dog. He is sunshine on four feet with a strong but endearing personality. I also have a very good mare who has been with me 14 years now. I do not know a whole lot about dogs and I am very happy to find a forum devoted to Cairns.

post-5120-0-51773700-1293178821_thumb.jp

Edited by DashMonkey
Compassion is not a four letter word.

• 2 months later...

Hi, I'm Elise. I turn 40 (gulp!) this year! I am mom to an 8 year old daughter and 6 year old twins. I also have a twelve year old lab (Bacchus) and a Himalyan rescue cat (Jinx). I just got my first Cairn puppy this Feb!

I teach English part-time at a community college. I am passionate about helping first generation college students succeed, as I am one myself! I am also passionate about the importance of the arts in education.

I am a secular homeschooling parent. I never thought I'd do it, but I love the co-op we've joined and the community aspect of my children learning with kids who are older and younger than they are.

I love silly comedies. I am waiting for the day that awards recognize that a comedy is much harder to write than a tragedy!

My favorite color is burnt orange.

I wish I lived in New Zealand (Xena is my hero!).

And the pic is of my new pup, Divot and my old lab Bacchus.

(edited for typos)

post-5217-0-95283400-1299029009_thumb.jp

Edited by tomatosandwich

Hi my name is Lynn I live in Kingsport, TN. I've been married to Eric for 15 years we dated for 7 years. We have 2 sons ages 14 and 8. I will turn 40 this year. We will be getting our first Cairn this summer. We can't wait. I found this forum while looking for info about Cairns. I want to thank you all for yor postings, pictures and videos because finding information on Cairns is almost impossible. Finding this forum has been a blessing. I grew up loving Toto too. I only watched The Wizzard Of Ozz for Toto. I also loved the movie The Ghost and Mrs. Muir mostly for the dog. I always said I'ld have one some day and now my dream is coming true. It took the internet to find one. I can't wait for summer. yehaw!

So, I joined and never did an "about me" post!! So here goes...

My name is Jessica. My husband is John and he's active duty air force. We have a 5 year old son Nathan and 2 1/2 year old daughter Clara. I'm a stay-at-home mom. We have 3 dogs: Gabbie, 7 year old husky/lab mix (my service dog); Kenzie, 4 year old silver brindle Cairn (adopted at around a year old); and Hollie, a 4(ish) year old red wheaten (adopted her in January!!). We also are fostering my husband's cousin's Shih Tzu Kazumi. We also have two cats: Maycee, almost 8 year old 1/2 Persian 1/2 Siamese who looks just like a miniature black panther and Mushu, a 1 1/2 yr old solid white Doll-Face Persian.

I have worked with dogs since I was a kid. (I remember being paid to train a neighbor's lab puppy when I was 12!!) I've done training and rehabilitation since my early 20s and worked as a foster mom for a rescue in OKC for three years. (Then we moved to Seattle and I haven't had time to get involved with one :( )

The only thing better than owning a Cairn is owning two!

• 2 weeks later...

Hi I'm Kerry I'll be 40 next year I'm married to an IT consultant we have a 6 year old son and 3 year old daughter . We have a 4 year old westie a16 mth old lab and in 7 weeks will be picking up our first Cairn :-)

We live in Northumberland UK in a big village next to Hadrians wall called Haltwhistle it's the Centre of Britain :-)

I've been learning so much on this and uk site about Cairns and can't wait to pick "Nessie" up :-)

From Kerry, Molly the Westie, Peppa the black Lab, and Nessie the Cairn xx

Idaho Cairns

Hi I'm Kerry I'll be 40 next year I'm married to an IT consultant we have a 6 year old son and 3 year old daughter . We have a 4 year old westie a16 mth old lab and in 7 weeks will be picking up our first Cairn :-)

We live in Northumberland UK in a big village next to Hadrians wall called Haltwhistle it's the Centre of Britain :-)

I've been learning so much on this and uk site about Cairns and can't wait to pick "Nessie" up :-)

A village named "Haltwhistle"? Now that sounds just like a town that should have a Cairn Terrier in it. I just love the image I am getting of your hometown. It should be rambunctious around your house with those kids and dogs--three great breeds to raise children with by the way.

This thread is so neat. I'm really enjoying reading about all you folks and your Cairns or Cairns to be.

It's a really old fashioned place with a really old fashioned railway station :-) we have gorgeous scenery and such stunning places to walk the dogs and kids within 5 minutes and an hour to the Lake district :-) our Cairn will love the fields and rivers with our Lab I hope :-)

Idaho Cairns

It's a really old fashioned place with a really old fashioned railway station :-) we have gorgeous scenery and such stunning places to walk the dogs and kids within 5 minutes and an hour to the Lake district :-) our Cairn will love the fields and rivers with our Lab I hope :-)

It looks wonderful! I did a google earth tour this morning, the curiosity got the best of me and the "street view" shows the curvy streets, ups and downs in town--all the trees and low walls. I was thinking about how much my dogs would enjoy the walks around town and out in the country adjacent. I can tell you that Cairns love the hills and dales around here and I suspect, in their home area (are you in Scotland?) they should really be excited chasing instinctive and ancient enemies! Cairns are rugged, tough little dogs--you probably won't wear them out. Stay with us and when you get your dog, take lots of panorama pictures so we can see the dog, the countryside, and Haltwhistle! Love that name!

Edited by Idaho Cairns

We're actually on the borders of Scotland just 25 minutes away from Gretna green :-) We live right next to Hadrians Wall which was built to keep the Scottish out of England :-)

There are lots of trust sites all the way along Hadrians wall for walking and lots of forests and lakes within in easy reach :-)

It's great :-) I will definately be putting lots of pictures up ( or hubbi will I'm a techno phobe !!!! ) as soon as Nessie is home :-)

I live in usa, washington state

Im 18, my bday is on the 23rd, I am turning 19 and I am going to college for baseball.

And taking stupid classes in college just to play baseball, and stay in baseball, I need to get good grades, lol dumb college

But the government is paying for it, so I don't care, lalal :D

:D :D

I live with my grandma/mom/sister

9yNb8di.jpg
Click to show the full size image!

You're welcome, Happy Birthday, good luck!

Edited by jimnconnie

Jim, Connie, Bailey & Sophie

FLOWERCHILD-1-1.jpgBAILEYSOPHIE4-22-07002-1.jpg

• 1 month later...

You're welcome, Happy Birthday, good luck!

Well I didn't mean it like that, But thanks for paying taxes :)

I will most likly get a job in college too, so no worries, lol

It's just cause my mom makes so little

9yNb8di.jpg
Click to show the full size image!

Greetings,

I'm Mike,married to Helen for 44 years. We're both on the cusp of retirement from healthcare careers. We have a lake home, where we've been for 32 years. We lost our little Cairn girl 1.5 years ago at the age of 15, and our little guy Cairn a year earlier at the age of 15 also. Their passing was a traumatic occasion for us. Perhaps some of you folks have been down this path before and know what I'm talking about. However, time has helped to heal and now we're about ready to adopt again. Both Alex and Gretchen were Wheatens, so we may be looking for a Brindle this time.

With this brief introduction, I will say I'm glad to have found this forum and look forward to reading and posting with other Cairn lovers.

Regards,

Mike

Hello, Mike & Helen, and welcome to the Forum. My condolences for the loss of your 2 previous Cairns, something we all dread but must eventually experience. Congrats on your coming retirement, which will give you even more time to enjoy a new furkid. Being a retiree myself, having 2 dogs in the house keeps me occupied, when my "child-bride", 7 years my junior still trudges off to work every day. Good luck in your search for the perfect Cairn (they all are!!), and in your life of leisure.

Jim

Jim, Connie, Bailey & Sophie

FLOWERCHILD-1-1.jpgBAILEYSOPHIE4-22-07002-1.jpg

Jim, thanks for the warm welcome. We are looking forward to shifting gears in life now. We are making some inquiries at the moment, looking for a dark gray little fellow. Hopefully, after we return from Honduras towards the end of May, we can find just the child to adopt us. As that happens, I'll announce it on the forum.

Cheers,

Mike

• 2 weeks later...

Hi My name is Sandy and I am originally from Montreal, Canada. I moved to Maine 11 years ago when I married Jerry. He is currently retired and has been a State Trooper and long time carpenter. I am an office manager/assistant for a financial advisor and love the job. I am months away from retirement and can't wait - I plan on taking up quilting and may look into working at the humane society.

We had a Westie named Molly who passed away last July 3rd at 8 1/2 years from complications to skin allergies. We now have Layla, a Cairn Terrier who is just on 8 months.

We live in a log cabin, built entirely by Oldfox. It's situated in central eastern Maine and located on 3 1/2 acres in a very rural area. It backs onto a forested area and atop a mountain. Just down the hill are two beautiful ponds - one on either side of the road. Hubby fishes down there on his pontoon boat and is hoping to take Layla with him this summer.

I have a daughter who lives just south of Nashville and is program director for Alzeimer's Association and her husband is attending a NASA University getting his doctorate in engineering. I also have a son who lives in Toronto, Canada and he is a mechanical engineer. My family (Mother who is 93 and two brothers + all nieces and nephews) all live in Montreal and I usually get up at least once a year to visit.

It's a real pleasure that you all allow us to share in a small part of your lives.

Husband and dog missing ...25 cents reward for dog

• 2 months later...

Hi everyone! Newbie here, name is Nicole. I have a 2-year old Cairn Terrier named Carmine. I got her from a shelter. She was the first to caught my attention so decided to adopt her then. Are there Cairn Terrier owners in here as well?

Looking forward to chatting with you all.

Money will buy a fine cairn terrier dog, but only kindness will make him wag his tail.

Welcome CarmineCairn We all all lovers of Cairns and each of us own at least one - some two - some three and even some who have four. Glad you found this forum and hope you enjoy your time with us here.

• Like 1

Husband and dog missing ...25 cents reward for dog