CairnTalk

Getting to know YOU

Teri9672

Hi! I am Karen, dog mom to Nigel (3) and Aislinn (2). My dh and I have been married almost 6 years (my only, his last), and we live in the great state of Oklahoma. Hubby is retired Air Force and now works for a national auto parts company, and I am beginning my 20th year teaching elementary students. Though I have taught all grades 1-6, fourth grade is far and above my favorite.

Hubby is a car fanatic and spends as much time as possible working on his VW roadster and 1976 Jag, both of which he "rescued". I like to shop and stay connected to my family and friends, and I sing in our church choir. We have family in Colorado, Arkansas, Indiana and Illinois, so we do get in some lite traveling during school breaks.

And the best thing we have ever done is get our puppy-son and girlie-girl. When Nigel was a wee pup we joined a social dog club in OKC. We are predominately Cairns, but we also have Scotties, Norwich and Norfolk ,and a Westie or two. A few of our people show their dogs and a couple do obedience and agility trials. But mostly we get our pets together to play with each other while the people visit and laugh at our dogs' antics. It's such a blast! I am totally convinced Cairns are the best dogs and Cairn people are extra special, too.

"Lord help me be the person my cairn terriers believe I am."

• 2 weeks later...

Hello to everyone from the top of Mississippi. Trying to figure out how to navigate around this website. Guess I need to tell you a little about myself. My name is Deborah and my husband and I are owned by a beautiful 4 year old cairn furbaby named Miss Toto and a solid white cat named Buddy. We have 3 grown children and 10 grandchildren. (9granddaughters, 1grandson, ages 7months to 18 years) I collect Wizard of Oz memorabilia and I make handmade porcelain dolls, crochet, machine embroidery, a little painting, crafts, etc. My husband owns his own flooring business and I work for a very large school district. (planning to retire in a few years) And I must add, I am a Wizard of OZ fanatic as you can see by my login name. My kitchen is completely decorated in WOZ memorabilia. Therefore, Miss Toto couldn't have been named anything else. (Miss because we live in the South):))

I guess that just about wraps it up for me. Everyone seems to be so friendly on this site and I look forward to visiting every day. Bye for now.

• 2 weeks later...

Hi, my name is Jessica and I have 2 Cairns. Scooter who is almost 4 years old and Sadie who just turned 3. They are the best dogs, all though they have their moments. Along with them I have 2 cats which get smothered with kisses whenever they walk by the other 2. We are from NH and Scooter is not too fond of going out in the snow, or the cold, or the rain, or the ice. He prefers warmer weather, lol. Thats my fault because I do carry him up the stairs when the ground is covered in snow, even though the smaller princess (Sadie) runs by full speed. I look forward to posting and although I have had my 2 for almost 4 years I have some issues which I will be posting.

Jessica, Scooter and Sadie

ps- how do I get pictures of the babies at the bottom of my posts?

Jess, Scooter, Sadie and Dozer

DSCN2419-1.jpg

• 1 month later...

Hi, this is my first post on this forum. It's lovely to 'meet' you all.

My name is Ali, but I'm using my pup's name, stig, as my username on here.

I have one cairn, he's 9mths old now, and an absolute gem. I've also got a parson jrt who's fab but has some 'issues' (aggression towards other dogs after being attacked).

I live in Scotland, UK, and work as a nanny. I am also doing a degree in canine behaviour and training, which is absolutely fascinating and will allow me to change careers later in life. This has also given me the tools and resources to help Max, my aggressive dog so we are now on the long road back to calmness and tolerance.

I clicker train both my dogs and Max has done flyball, agility, heelwork to music and obedience. Stig is too young for the first two, but I'll be starting him later in life. He's already doing well with his obedience, although I don't compete so it's just for fun. Stig also has a possible wonky back leg, he runs like a banana and doesn't seem to put full weight on it. We'll know more when he hits the 12mth mark and his bones stop growing. He may have to do hydrotherapy to keep it strong.

Looking forward to much future chatting and advice seeking from / with you guys.

Hi, Ali, and welcome to the Forum. It's always nice to greet a new member, and if you have checked us out before you probably have noticed that there are other folks from the U.K. amongst us. It will be especially nice to have your opinions on behavior & training issues, as there always are lots of questions in those areas. Look forward to hearing from you again, and please post some pictures of Stig & the jrt. By the way, I love that word--"wonky", just what does it mean? :huh:

Jim, Connie, Bailey & Sophie

FLOWERCHILD-1-1.jpgBAILEYSOPHIE4-22-07002-1.jpg

Well, I guess I'll take a turn. My name is Stacie and my husband (Mark) and I, along with our cutie Cairn, Archie live in humid south Louisiana. I just started work in an office for an oil field company (major career change for me), and my husband is a career firefighter and an EMT. We were recently married on St. Patrick's day of this year. Archie is actually a wedding gift from Mark's dad's friend who is a breeder of Cairns and Scotties.

We like to travel to Mississippi and visit Mark's family and of course Archie enjoys the trip also. Otherwise, we are homebodies and enjoy time at home the most. Both of us have grown up here and lived here all of our lives. Regardless of how many hurricanes come and go, I don't think we will ever leave the gulf coast. This is our home, no matter what. I couldn't imagine living somewhere where you couldn't drive down the road a ways and buy fresh shrimp, crabs, and crawfish. Besides, Archie likes to go in our back yard and jump in the bayou, and I don't know of many places that have a bayou in their backyard other than in south Louisiana.

So, I guess that sums up our life. Everyday is a new adventure. B)

P.S. I also forgot to mention that Mark is a public education officer with his fire dept. and we are trying to train Archie to stop drop and roll so that Mark can bring him to the schools when he visits the children to teach about fire safety. I'm hoping it works b/c Arch would eat up all that attention!

Edited by turtlepeace8

• 4 weeks later...

Hello to everyone, I am new to CT, and am having a great time poring over the forum. My name is Diane, and I live in the middle of California, the San Joaquin Valley. It's not a fancy place to live, and it gets HOT in the summer, but it's only 2 hrs. (more or less) from some wonderful places - Monterey, Bay Area, Yosemite, etc. I was born here, so it's definitely home to stay.

Our family has a wonderful 6-year old cairn named Harry. I am not exaggerating to say he is the favorite member of our family - for all of us. It's so fun to read about everyone's dog family- Harry sounds just like them, and it's nice to be among people who "get it"! Most of our friends (and some family, truthfully) think we are nuts. We might possibly be a little obsessed, but now I know we're not alone!

My husband Bob is a cpa who does volunteer search and rescue in his spare time. I work part-time in our church office, which is a great job, it can just get a little blurry to figure where (and when) the job stops! I love to work in the yard and aspire to get my pictures in albums someday. We've been married 25 years and have 3 kids; a 22 year old son, a 19+ daughter, and a 15+ daughter. The older two have recently left for college, and so our house is a little quieter... Both of our sets of parents live here, too, so we are fortunate. My parents moved in behind us recently (and doubled Harry's yard and airspace; he takes patrolling both very seriously), so we have our own little compound going on.

We are hopefully getting a female cairn puppy in December- we are going to visit the litter at the breeder's home on Nov. 17, so we are getting very excited! That is what started me searching and finding the forum. I am a bit nervous about how it will go adding that second cairn... the grooming alone seems daunting to me, but once again, I can see I'm not alone! We love every minute and every thing about Harry, so we're looking to double the fun!

• 1 month later...

Hello everyone

I am a 28 year old stay at home mom living in FL. I got my first Cairn at 21 & have been in love with the breed ever since! I currently have a female & a small male pup, I've been with my husband for 10 years married for 3 & our son is now 19 months old. I originally wanted to have 4 children but who can afford that now days so I told him that my 2 fur babies were just fine! He is a Blueberry farmer working on his fathers 200 acre farm with lots of cattle as well

Our dogs love getting out there & running free (opposite side that the cows are on)

Life is always an adventure for me i am raising my son & a 10 week old Cairn & trying to get my 5 year old female to love him as much as we all do

its such a challenge but one we face with patience & persistence

I am truly glad to have found this forum, it has helped me heal from losing my Rusty roo, & I've gotten some really good advise with raising the pup again so I want to thank all of you! I look forward to reading all the posts ahead...

take care

april

apRiL

• 2 weeks later...

Hi! I'm Colyn from Virginia. I'm the proud caregiver of Max and Maisy. Max is a gorgeous, red, 5 1/2 year old boy. We're his third home (#1 surrendered due to allergies and #2 surrendered due to relocation.) I'm happy to say we're his final home, and while he came to us with some behavioral issues, he just gets more wonderful every day. He's been with us for 2 years. Maisy is our red brindle, fabulous 16 week old puppy. We've had her since she was around 8 weeks old. She's a handful :twisted: , but we're getting there. She and Max get along beautifully. Actually, I think Max is in better health and is happier since Maisy joined our family. I love having two dogs!

Just a bit about me: we're a Navy family (DH is active duty). We have four daughters, three of whom are homeschooled. Also sharing our home are 5 cats, a gerbil, and a hamster. When I'm not hanging out with my people or chasing the dogs, I'm knitting or spinning.

This is a great forum. I've been lurking for a bit, and it's great to read that other people have the same issues/concerns with their own dogs. (We have allergy problems with Max, so reading what other folks are doing is so encouraging.)

Hello!

I`m 17 years old girl from Finland. My name is Heidi and I have two carnterrier. 3 years old "Sissi" (FIN CH Leavenworth Sagittaire) and her 10 mounths old daughter "Inkku" (Leavenworth Blonde Ambition). I also have two english cockerspaniel. All my dogs are homedogs, but sometimes we go to the dogshows.

I live in Kannus that is small city in Central ostrobothnia. I`m second-year studient in Central Ostrobothnia Rural Institute and the Unit of Kannus, Kennel-sector.

I`m very happy that I found this forum and it`s nice to read something from USA. You all can ask me anything from Finland and Finnish cairns.

I`m sorry about my bad english but I hope you can understand me. :)

Here is my website. It`s in Finnish but there is some photos at me and my dogs.

-Heidi-

Edited by Heidi

Heidi &cairns Sissi and Inkku+english cockerspaniels Mimmi and Donna

Hi ! I'm Pegasus, I didn't see this topic to present oneself ... so i've present myself in Gallery ...

So, i'm going to present myself again !!! :

Hello !

I'm Pegasus, I'm french ... I don't speak English very well, sorry for some mistakes ... I'm 16 years old and I've learnt English for serveral years. ( I haven't found any forum's part where I could present myself, thus i do it there.)

I like Cairns very much, and i've created a french forum about Cairns.

Anyway ...

My dog is called Rudy

He is 7 years old, and 8 in March !

He isn't a very active dog ...

He likes very much the sofa and sleeping all the day !

For you, a photo :

Rudy in action ! http://img223.imageshack.us/img223/6408/02xa3.jpg

• 3 weeks later...

Hi, My name is Linda, my husband Tom and I , now have two lovely little girls...Maggie Mae and Dusty. Maggie came thru the Oklahoma Westie Rescue and Dusty, was a "sort of' rescue. My d-i-l had a friend whose Mom was looking for a new home for Dusty.

Maggie is a wee little girl-12 1/2 lbs. and dark brindle..but DEFINITELY not a shrinking violet. Dusty is our blonde with a Brindle face and points. She is still settling in--I don't think she has been leash trained or crate trained...so we are busy with that. Fortunately, Maggie is helping us! She seems to be showing Dusty what she is suppose to do.

Hi,

I never formally introduced myself; I'm Antonietta and my Husband Paul are the proud parents of a cairn called Oscar. We received him at 8 weeks old and now he is 1 1/2 yrs old. We went through very tring times with him, but with the support of the website we have gotten through the 1 st year of puppy hood. He is a great little guy, and we can't wait to get a home with a backyard to add a girl cairn to our home.

Hello everyone-

I'm pretty new to this group & have really been enjoying all the stories, advice, and the opportunity to hear from kindred dog lovers from across the world. My name is Nancy, my husband Dave & I live in Yakima, Washington, and we have our Cairn, Rocky, and our Black Lab Mick. Our two kids are grown & married, 2 grandchildren & one on the way.

I publish 2 real estate magazines; I've been in advertising for about 15 years. I retired from Corporate America just over 2 years ago, then launched these magazines & now work from home with my own business- life is good! I love to cook & garden, we installed our own water feature a few years ago so in addition to the dogs we have a constantly changing population of Koi & goldfish as well. I stopped naming the fish so I don't feel too devastated when the neighborhood herons come in & clean us out.

We live in the country & for recreation mostly go fishing on the Columbia for salmon & steelhead, spring & summer for walleye on lake Roosevelt & the surrounding lakes in North Central Washington. Rocky is an official 'boat dog' - everyone knows when we land a big one because he barks to 'help' net it. So far, no hooks in the snout - keep your fingers crossed! The photo of Rocky is from when he had to wear a cone after getting all 4 dewclaws removed - everyone at fish camp signed his cone - it was pretty funny!

If anyone can tell me what size we need to make these photos so they show up well, I'm all ears!

post-3208-1201544597_thumb.jpg

post-3208-1201544612_thumb.jpg

post-3208-1201544622_thumb.jpg

If you think you are too small to be effective, you have never been in bed with a mosquito

Hi, Amy and Andrew here. (Well, Amy's typing this :P.) Let's see...I am going to 20 next month, I've been working at a dog kennel for about 4 years, I am going to college for an English degree, possibly a double major in Philosophy, and possibly with a Writing emphasis tacted on as well. Andrew and I will have been dating for 2 years in April, and hopefully moving in together by summer.

Andrew works as a line cook at a restaurant. (He's a very good cook, especially those Chicken Bacon Lettuce sandwhich things.) He's 20, and plans on attending college this fall. He wants to go for Biology and Art, possibly becoming a doctor, nurse, zoologist, something in the Biology field.

Valentine is our first dog together, though our families own dogs and his also have 3 cats...who didn't quite welcoming the puppiness to the family.

Oh, yeah and we live in Wisconsin.

Amy

• 4 weeks later...

Well, I guess since I now have a Cairn in my hands I can post here.

My name is Darcy and I am 31 years old. My DH and I have 2 wonderful human girls, Kayleigh is almost 10 and Keara is just 7 months. We live in Selkirk Manitoba Canada, which is about 30 min outside of our capital city Winnipeg, and no we don't live in igloo's or have sled dogs as a mode of transportation! Believe it or not, I get asked that ALL the time from American's. I worked in a call center taking calls for Toro/LawnBoy help line and most callers where American and would guess I was Canadian by my "accent". Yes it is cold here, really, really cold, but we deal with it. Our really hot summers make up for it.

We have a little boy Cairn who we just got going on 3 weeks ago, he's 10 weeks, and he is the most well behaved puppy I have ever seen! Yes I am sure that will change, but for now he is so good! He is about 85% housebroken already and has had only 3 accidents off the paper. I do let him out every 2 hours so I do a lot of running back and forth. We have a fenced in yard and deck so I just block off the deck for now so he doesn't take off on me. He hasen't learned to come when called yet but I am sure that will come. I love it when he is chasing his ball or someother toy and he makes the growling noise as he is running...too funny!! My mom used to breed Scotties back in the 80's and I remember them chasing a scoccer ball and making that noise.

We are looking forward to many many long years with Toby, and all the joy he will bring us!!

Welcome! Seems we Cairn enthusiasts come in all shapes sizes

and persuasions...kinda like our Cairn children themselves.

Thanks for the bio.

(P.S. - whenever I want to see a movie with Wisconsin in it I

bring out the "Prince and Me" DVD. :P )

Tara, Mom of Many in Annapolis

Max and Nelly
signature.jpg.1a2f02ae93418630654caf879c6d4783.jpg

I'm Shelley from Dallas. DH and I are in our mid-40s. We have 2 *almost* grown human children. I'm a paralegal, hubby is in sales.

We are huge wine enthusiasts. I also do hot yoga (gotta try to work off at least some of the wine and cheese!) and love reading. Although I haven't had opportunity to do much of either since we got Angus a few weeks ago. He wants to chew on any book, magazine or newspaper in our hands and taking a 90 minute yoga class after work is pretty much out unless DH has worked from home that day.

We've lived in Dallas for the past 10 years or so, but plan to move to the Pacific Northwest when the kids are both out of college in a few years. (Good to see Washington and Oregon well represented on this forum!) We visit Oregon almost every Memorial Day weekend for the release of the wonderful Pinot Noirs. We love all kinds of wine, but DH has a special fondness for Pinot from Willamette Valley. In fact, I had to argue against naming the new puppy PINOT.

Angus is our first dog together, and we are really head over heels. DH even bought a web cam so we can check in on the furbaby when we're both out of the house. LOL

Glad to have found this forum. It's been a wealth of information and support!

Shelley, Angus and Mickey in Seattle

You have good taste in wine, and impeccable taste in dog breeds :P Pinot would be a challenging name for a dog - you'd end up spelling it Pee NO! for sure. Lots of lovely dog-name possibilities drawn from the wineries around here. Argyle, Westrey, Beau(x) Frere(s), Maysara, Sineann to name but a few...

CAIRNTALK: Questions? Need help? → Support Forum Please do not use PMs for tech support
CRCTC: Columbia River Cairn Terrier Club 

Lots of lovely dog-name possibilities drawn from the wineries around here, for sure. Argyle, Westrey, Beau(x) Frere(s), Maysara, Sineann to name but a few...

You are SO right! Believe me, we went through all of them. Argyle was actually a finalist. :) You've named a few of our favorites! Beaux Freres is perfection, I only wish we could afford more of it! $$

We can't wait to take Angus to Oregon. I'm sure he will love the mountains and beaches as much as we do!

Shelley, Angus and Mickey in Seattle

• 2 weeks later...

My names is Nikki and I am a 28 yr old 911 Dispatcher - now. I've held lots of others jobs over the years (newspaper reporter, vet assistant and assistant manager at a bar) but this one seems to fit my personality the best. I also love to write and have started numerous books....just have yet to finish one!

Since I don't have kids yet my two Cairns are #1 on my list of importance, followed by the my family and bf, and of course my friends.

I love to kayak (yes my one Cairn Lily comes with me- sans life jacket), hike with my dogs, swim in Lake Michigan, and do yoga. Since I live in a fairly rural area in Michigan I have to find ways to entertain myself!

I've been dating the same man for 3 years - but no plans for marriage (phew...sigh of relief).

I'm Kat and Mr Ian McTavish is my new baby. I also have a Chow and a Pom. I am so happy to find this forum, as I'm sure it will be very useful in the future as I raise this little "holy terror."

post-3340-1205616590_thumb.jpg

• Like 1

• 1 month later...

Hello

I'm Anne and have just adopted a darling Cairn Terrier mix named Sui (named after the late Sui, aka dog of Croc. Hunter). She is 4 months old and has been living with us for a week now. I look forward to posting and reading about our favorite Cairn Terriers.

post-3436-1209952495_thumb.jpg

Hi! My husband and I purchased our first Cairn almost a year ago.

I teach math at a high school. We also bought our first house a year ago and are busily planting a garden.

We don't have any kids yet, but hope to soon. I like to read and scrapbook.

Ok its about time I did this eh? Lol

My name is Amy and I have been married to Andrew for almost 7 years...we have a (almost) 2 year old and a 6 year old.

I live in Melbourne, Australia, but am a big traveller (usually to other states to show my cairns!) I am very passionate about the breed and have just started to study my terrier license. Presently we have 5 dogs at home, two Cairn bitches, A Brittany, A dodgy maltese (our desexed puppycat!) and an Airedale (whom I am showing for someone!)

I work hard to present and train any of my dogs for the ring and occasionally do terrier grooming for pet owners that ring me in desperation cause groomers clip their cairns! lol

Andrew works hard for a big company here and I stay at home working hard cleaning and chasing the toddler! Hes not very doggy at all and rarely does anything with the dogs unless I ask him :whistle: But he loves me and knows they are my passion so gives them a pat or too occasionally :surrender:

I show pretty much every weekend. :innocent:

>http://www.freewebs.com/aimforcairns/