CairnTalk

Getting to know YOU

Teri9672

Hello, My name is JoAnne and I have two cairn terriers. Our male Henry is 6yrs old and sweet little Heidi is 2yrs. Our 24yr old daughter lives home with her 3yr old toy poodle Mia and we also have Morgan yellow lab/ springer mix we adopted from our local SPCA 12 yrs ago.... both easy going dogs! They make Heidi & Henry look like devil dogs! I found this board a few yrs after I brought Henry home and it has been a life saver. My prior dog experience did not prepare me for life with cairn terriers. It seemed like many people have a negetive view of terriers and weren't keen on these dogs. Only when you meet people with similar dogs with similar issues can you relate. Much of the info I have obtained through reading the post at this forum have helped me deal with many issues with our cairns. It actually helped me to decide to bring Heidi home for a playmate for Henry. I felt confident in my decision but also was worried it might not work out. She has been the best thing for him and he has met his match with her. I have never seen a dog spin around like she does and look him in the eye while holding his ball in her mouth and has this look in her eyes that says bring it on big boy!( he is crazy for his tennis ball)...she loves to torment him.. LOL one of these days I am going to try to get it on video for you all to see. Henry is hard on the outside but soft inside and really loves people, especially kids. Most isssues I have with him are related to large dogs, after working on it in obedience school....class full of larger dogs ;o)... I have learned to divert his attention to a food treat or toy..and keep him from making eye contact with the other dog...it helps but not always successful. Heidi is the snuggler, never leaves your side. Only issue I have with her is when we leaving the house she really gets upset and will bite and if anyone has any advise for me on how to stop this I would really appreciate the info. I'm trying to figure out how to add a few photo's but error comes up says files to big to upload.

• 3 weeks later...

I've never done this. I think I've mentioned a bit about myself in other settings, but here it goes.

My name is Katrina but everyone calls me Katie. I am 26 years old and I live in Southeast Texas near the Louisiana border. I married Kenneth March 2010 and we have no children, but would like to have one in a couple of years. Kenneth does video production for an advertising agency, has an impressive comic book and DVD collection, and plays a lot of video games (nerd :P ).We got Ripley in January and she is 9 months old. I LOVE this breed. I would love a male Cairn, but I keep reminding myself that one is enough! I've loved dogs ever since I was young and I had a very sweet dachshund growing up named, Daisy.

My father was born and raised in Glasgow, Scotland, fell in love with Texas, and came to live here when he was 28. Family is so important to me. My parents are the best and I have five brothers and sisters. Two of my brothers live in Scotland and I see them once or twice a year. My youngest sister just moved to Boston for school (I miss her so much. Can't wait till Thanksgiving!) My mom says I'm an old soul, and I have always gotten along better with adults than kids my own age (I guess I can't call myself a kid anymore anyway!)

My favorite place in the world is Paihia, New Zealand. I spent a week there four years ago and would love to go back.

I graduated in Dec 2007 with my BS in Hospitality Management, worked at a hotel for a few years, and have recently began to pursue a different career in Medical Coding. In my spare time I watch old movies, sew, read (Alexander McCall Smith!!), walk Ripley, hang out with Kenneth, or spend time with my adorable nephews Easton (4) and Jaxon (7 months). My real dream is to be a writer one day or at least write one book!

Wizard of Oz is my 3rd favorite movie and since we got Ripley in January, I have gone Wizard of Oz crazy. It's not just for Toto either. I love everything about that movie.

• 2 months later...

Hi there,

I'm Emma and I've got two puppies that are currently 4 months old. They are cross between a Cairn terrier and a Border Terrier. They are very naughty and very cute! Here's a pic:

I live in Essex in England and work in London. I have decided to work part time from now on so I can be with my Fred and Ginger more, to have more fun with them and train their little asses good and proper!

I love windsurfing, and teach it too, so I'll be combining that next summer with being with my dogs.

Emma

post-5561-0-29650400-1320758065_thumb.jp

• Like 1

Love the smile on the dog on the left! That is a proper way to greet the world for a Cairn Terrier but one probably shouldn't be fooled--behind that smile is a lot of mischief! Welcome, looking forward to interacting with you on the Forum.

Yes Fred is giving us his toothy grin - very cheeky boy he is - managed to escape from his cage last night, silly me thinking one slidey lock would be enough - tonight two slidey locks to avoid jailbreak (he does consider himself a prisoner!)

• 1 month later...

Hello! My name is Bengt from Sweden. I'm 51 years old and live with my family in a small village, Vikmanshyttan. We have a wonderful Cairn terrier, Nisse. He's 7 years old and we all love him so much. I think cairn terriers are the perfect dog because they are a big dog i a small body. They are also happy and funny dogs.

Happy New Year to everybody! :party:

Edited by Bengt Fredriksson

• 1 month later...

Hi, I'm new to the forum. I live in South Mississippi, work full time as an Office Manager of a Civil Engineering firm, and have two wonderful kids! Leah (6) Blake (2) We are about to get our very first family dog of our own. I have always loved dogs and have had many of my own in the past, but never a Cairn. I'm excited for my children to have their own pet to love as they are with my parents dogs daily, and love them so very much. It is some of the best memories I have growing up with my cocker spaniels, and I hope to make those kinds of memories for them! Looking forward to learning from you all and sharing our adventures!

Bengt (whom I missed in December!) and Angela, welcome! It is so neat to have new members to describe their experience with Cairns. Wow, Sweden and Mississippi--now talk about your basic "diverse" environments for Cairns!

Angela your kids are going to love having a Cairn around but be aware that now they have a co-conspirator to all the mischief that kids and Cairns are capable of coming up with--fair warning! Everyone needs to be sending pictures and videos when possible so we have something to ooh and ahh over.

• 4 weeks later...

Hi everyone,

My name is Heather, I'm 26 in June. I'm from Perth Western Australia and our beautiful boy is 16 months now. We love our Cairn Gus - he is such a wonderful dog. I have never had a dog before and my partner has only had staffy's. We went to see some of our breeders cairns and the litter of puppies 2 before ours. We fell in love somewhere between 3 tugging on the bows of my shoes and one taking about 15min to get onto the bed because he was sqeezing between the frame and mesh bed.

We got our boy valentines day last year and have loved every second. Including him meeting a donkey as a puppy and his first swim in the ocean this week. Oh the look of terror! but he swam as soon as his legs were off the ground.

I work in the call centre for social security here while I try and finish my public policy degree (it couldn't come soon enough!) My partner works for a pool equipment manufacturer and between us we have every stupid customer story known to man.

I love all the help you guys provide on this forum. Cairns are not the most common here especially given it never gets below 0 degree c here. no snow - ever. most people think he is some kind of cross oversize westie - or some kind of bitsa. My breeder is fantastic but has had some problems lately so I really don't want to disturb her.

Looking forward to your Cairn stories - Its nice to hear some for a change!

Heather, Mathew and Gus

Edited by Hez

Idaho Cairns

Heather, welcome to you Mathew and Gus to this group of dedicated and somewhat obsessed Cairn Owners and we are pretty well flung world wide as you can see. Cairns are actually pretty rare here in the States as well, we don't see a lot out walking around and we often get the "what is it, a big Yorkie?" kind of thing.

Neat to have you aboard, hope we can keep you entertained and informed, console you when your Gus is being a Cairn "terriblus" as well as "ooh and ahh" when he is being a sweetheart.

• 2 weeks later...

I too have missed the new members. Sorry about that you all. Welcome, Bengt, Angela and Heather. I hope you all enjoy this forum. We are a big family here and love new members to enlighten and tell us of their Cairn tales. Feel free to join in with anything that's on your mind or what little adventure you all have been up to. It so fun to hear from people and Cairns all over the world. :)

Elsie, Max, Meeko & Lori

• 5 weeks later...

Welcome from Pennsylvania to Sweden, Mississippi, and Australia!

My Angus is a seven and a half months. He is a red brindle.

I love this site and have had lots of help from members.

And it is a lot of fun to read stories of other cairns' adventures.

If it gets tough with your cairn in health or training or whatever a big support group is here for you.

Enjoy!

• 2 months later...

I am a new Cairn owner. I have a 5mo puppy named Tessie. This is my first post on this board. I am not sure how to go about posting and asking questions but I will give it a try.

I live in Ga in the country and am taking Tessie to Obedience training. I am so enjoying having a puppy. I have not had a puppy since my children were grown

Idaho Cairns

Having Cairns is like having kids that never grow up and move away, but in a really pleasant manner. Cairns tend to be pleasant, spunky, recalcitrant, uppity, independent/dependent for their entire lives and it is our job to serve whatever need they have from their human companions.

Welcome to the forum, you posted well, ask any question that pops into your head, and get us a picture of Tessie as soon as you figure out how to post one.

• Like 1

Welcome to each and every one of you, we are so happy that you are here. I am fairly new to cairns myself, Keira was 2 in February. They are loads of fun and sometimes trying, but worth it all.

hello.

I am, obviously, new.

For years I have admired and loved Cairns terriers over other ones. I liked the way they carried themselves, their cheerful personalities and just their look.

Over the years I would look at pets for sale and see if any Cairns were around in my area and they were quite rare around here in North central Illinois.

We have been thinking of getting a dog and while looking came across an ad for a little terrier mix. The dog turned out to be a 4 year old Cairn poodle mix. I did not know at the time until looking around the web about cairns that this was what is described as a designer or boutique dog. Odd because her first owners were mean to her. the elderly woman who has her now adores her but, is moving and must give her up.

She is going from a one bedroom highrise apt to a nice size home with a big fenced in back yard. What will she think??? wow.

Before the one bedroom, her original owners kept her all the time in a cage and never played or let her out and hit her.

She is really sweet.

We bring her home on Tuesday. Her elderly current owner wants to give her her yearly shots this Tuesday before letting her go and that is very nice.

My husband is taking the day off and we plan to take her to Pet Smart to get her a new collar and leash and toys (my husband plans to teach her to play) and other goodies. and we will let her have fun exploring and then, ah! the back yard and see how she likes her place to go out and play and run and talk to all the other dogs next to us. She will find a good place to settle down inside for naps and hanging out. Meet our two cats. Just having a grand time.

Since it will be 97 on Tuesday she probably won't want to be outside too much but, at least we want her to explore and see she has a place of her own to play and stretch.

Idaho Cairns

Welcome. It is neat that you are rescuing this little dog and while I am not particularly enthusiastic about designer dogs, I can't imagine a more interesting combination than a Cairn/poodle mix--I'll bet that is one smart cookie you are bringing into your home. Bet she does well in her new environment.

What will she think???

She'll think she's in Cairn heaven!! Lucky girl. :)

Welcome to the forum! You've found the right place. I adopted a mix -- Cairn/Papillon. I wondered if he was an "accident" or a designer pooch. Don't know, but he does make for one smart and impish little devil! I'm sure your pup will be a delight.

Ahem. We will, of course, need to ooh and aah over many pix, when you get them. And hey, what about names?

Edited by Zekey's Mom

Welcome to the forum!

I haven't seen a Cairn/Poodle mix but would love to. I hope you plan on posting some pictures.

As far as it being to hot you could be surprised. Kelly (my Cairn) takes it by spells when it is hot. Some times she will play outside for hours and sometimes she wants to stay in. Cairns are really great dogs. As far as teaching her to play she may teach your husband to play. haha

I hope everything goes well and she adjusts quickly. Good luck and keep us posted.

Wonderful to be able to give this little one a home. Watch out though. I'll bet she's super duper smart and will be running circles round you in no time. You will have fun. It will be a mix of :devil: and :lol: - at least the cairn part anyway.

What's her name? We are all looking forward to pics as soon as you can get some to us.

• 2 months later...

Hi,

My first Cairn pup is still with Mom so I'm here reading everyone's posts to get an idea of how my life is about to change. Really excited about my "baby" who will be here sometime next month.

I'm located in suburban PA, married to a great guy for almost 38 years. We have an adult son who lives near by but not married so no grandkids yet. Hubby travels for his work and is away about half the time or even more. I do volunteer work at an Alzheimer's center with my 10 year old Bullmastiff girl.

Am a bit concerned that the new baby is going to be overwhelming for my old girl and am open to any advice to help with the adjustment period.

It's been fun reading about all these wonderful Cairns and I can't believe my own long time Cairn dream is about to come true!

Best Wishes,

Susan

Hi Susan - welcome to the forum. There are tons of wonderful people here who will be only to happy to help you with advice or just general chit chat. This is so exciting for you to have a new baby coming into the house. From what others have said about bringing a puppy into an adult dog home, over time, things have a way of working out. Should you have any questions, go ahead and ask in the general forum and we'll be only to happy to answer. Just remember - in lieu of answers, we really - and I mean really - need to see pics of your little treasure. Sex of the new one? Any names picked out yet?

Good luck!

Husband and dog missing ...25 cents reward for dog