Welcome to Cairn Talk. We hope you become an active, enthusiastic participant, and that you make every effort to keep these forums an enjoyable and educational environment for every visitor.
As a participant, please keep in mind the following:
- The terms and conditions of the registration agreement that you acknowledged during your registration.
- The rules in this posting, all pinned topics in the Read Me First forum, and requests by forum moderators and administrators.
We hope that you agree that what we are seeking is nothing more than common courtesy and respectful use of a public resource. If this purpose meets your need, we are pleased to have you on the board and look forward to your participation. Enjoy!
Rules apply to all of the following, unless otherwise specified:
- status messages
- private messages (PM)
- email sent via the forum
1. Who can post here?
Any individual is welcome to post on topics of interest to Cairn Terrier fanciers. We reserve the right to disable the board, limit access to the board, ban users, and edit or delete topics and posts at the discretion of volunteer moderators.
2. You are responsible
You are responsible for what you post, and what you read. All posts made are the opinions and views of the author. CairnTalk.net is not responsible for the veracity or validity of any information posted here, nor do we vouch for the authenticity or the identity of any of the posters. CairnTalk.net and its representatives will not be held liable for any information or message posted to any discussion forum and disclaims all liability resulting from any action or inaction taken as a result of reading or posting any message in any discussion forum.
3. No advertising or fund-raising
Advertisements for products or services are prohibited. Similarly, endorsements, referrals and recommendations to specific breeders are not allowed. Watermarked and branded photos are usually treated as advertising. Use of your dog's registered name (which typically includes the kennel name) is permitted when the presence of the kennel name is incidental to the post.
Use of Cairn Talk for fund-raising or soliciting donations for any cause, no matter how urgent or well-intentioned is prohibited. Posters will be banned for repeated, egregious, or willful violations. Exceptions by prior arrangement only.
- By virtue of being predominantly self-funded, advertising related to the support or maintenance of CairnTalk as a public resource is permitted.
- With respect to the origins of the forum as a project supported by the CairnTerrier Club of America, advertising in support of CTCA and its affiliated member clubs is also permitted. Disclaimer: CairnTalk.net is no longer affiliated in any way with the CTCA but we maintain its historical advertising exception and support its projects and those of its affiliated clubs.
- CairnTalk.net is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to www.amazon.com.
A note about Display Names: your forum Display Name should represent an individual or noncommercial entity (a family, for example) and may be considered advertising if it appears to represent an enterprise with any commercial aspect.
In almost all cases your kennel affix is permitted — however please omit "Cairns" or similar to prevent your display name from appearing to be an advertisement.
- McFake Cairn Terriers = advertising; McFake = OK! McFake's Shazam at MagicLand = OK!
- Crofter Tractors = advertising; Crofter = OK! Tractor Gal = OK!
- Liberty Tax Services = advertising; Liberty = OK! Liberty Sam = OK!
If your display name is in violation and the site software prevents you from changing your display name to one that complies, please ask an administrator to make the change for you.
4. No placements
Please keep Cairn Talk a marketplace of ideas, not a marketplace of animals. Discussion about breeding theory and practice is fine but any use of the board to discuss placement of specific animals, including rescue placements or surrender, is not. This includes posting requests for others to contact you, posting links to pages where puppies or placements are offered, making referrals to specific breeders, and any posting that could even remotely be considered a solicitation or endorsement of, by, or for a specific breeder. Additional rules apply.
5. Stay on-topic
Post in the appropriate forum and remain on-topic. Start a new topic if you wish to introduce a new subject. Follow-ups should usually be posted to the original topic. Ignore posting errors and duplicate posts. A moderator will usually fix them. Cairn Talk is for talk about Cairns and life with Cairns. Virus warnings, urban legends, world events - all are off topic unless Cairns are somehow related to the topic. As a practical matter, more leeway is allowed within a topic for 'drift' than in obviously off-topic new topics.
6. Be original
Cairn Talk is for discussion and your contributions should be specific to this forum. Do not cut-and-paste lengthy messages from other websites or lists. If you want to use a lengthy article elsewhere as the basis of discussion that is fine - simply link to it - quoting a paragraph or two for context is fine. Note: if you ever receive an email urging you to cross-post something to every source you know, absolutely do not post it to Cairn Talk.
7. Be civil
Be civil in all of your posts and refrain from using inflammatory language or expletives. Your language and demeanor should be similar to how you would speak and behave if you were invited into a stranger's home to share a holiday meal with their family. Be aware of the effect you are having on others and make an effort to avoid giving offense. Equally as important, give others the benefit of the doubt and make an equal effort to avoid taking offense.
Volunteer moderators will determine what is inflammatory using their own judgment.
8. Don't monopolize the board
We encourage you to participate actively, enthusiastically, and frequently. However, for reasons of bandwidth, disk space, and encouraging participation by the broadest audience possible, we ask that you voluntarily limit your postings to ten a day within any specific topic or conversation that you participate in. You are welcome to participate in as many different conversations as you have interest in.
9. No Shouting
DO NOT POST IN ALL CAPS!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! Please mind your CapsLock key and do not use excessive punctuation or smilies.
10. Avoid hotlinking images
Consider thoughtfully when linking to remote mages. If the owner of the remote image replaces the image without your knowledge, your post could inadvertently become very inappropriate. Be mindful of copyright, ownership, rightful attribution, and fair use. Consider the linking and embedding policies of the source site. If you don't have your own site to host images there are many free image hosting services available that support hotlinking and embedding.
11. Keep signatures short
In the interest of controlling bandwidth and enhancing readability, extravagant or distracting signatures are strongly discouraged. The forum provides a robust profile capability for contact information and personalization. If you use a signature, it may not exceed 5 lines. Images in signatures may not exceed 100 x 640 pixels. No signature shall exceed a height of 150px plus one line of default text. Violations may be edited without notice.
12. Fraud is a crime
Impersonation of others is a criminal fraudulent act. Individuals who choose to do this will be banned and their Internet service provider may be contacted.
Posts that will be edited, deleted, or get you banned:
- Posts containing offensive racial, gender, sexual preference, religious, political, or nationality-bashing language.
- Any post containing language that is offensive in a public, family context.
- Links to inappropriate content.
- Personal attacks on other posters or club members. Comment on ideas, not people.
- Flame bait. In other words: inflammatory messages posted with an intent to provoke emotional responses. This is not to be confused with a sincerely held belief or opinion that differs from the norm and is expressed in a meaningful and congenial way.
- Repeated posting of the same or similar messages, and "bumping" a topic more than once.
- Cross-posts and link dumps.
- Posts promoting a specific breeder or kennel.
- Any post that violates the letter or spirit of any item described in this list, in these guidelines, or in any announcement or pinned topic posted by a board administrator or moderator.
By posting, you agree
By posting to this discussion board, you agree to be bound by these rules, including rules which may be referenced or linked herein.
All Posts are the opinion of the poster. Post content © the author.