CairnTalk

Getting to know YOU

Teri9672

I LOVE Cairns but I must say, I love the name of your Sheltie-cocker mix...  :D

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

I thought you might. I was aware of your Cairn Savannah. Actually, our Savannah was already named when my Mom got her. She's a real sweetie and was a wonderful companion to my Mom. When Mom became ill, we just had to take care of her. Our Savannah is 12 years old. She deserves to be loved as she gave Mom so much love. I'm sure Mom would not have been able to live on her own as long as she did without Savannah.

MAKE it a GREAT day!!! :D

Marge

Well here goes nuttin!  Hi, I'm Terry ....with a "Y"

I've been married to John for 28 years, I have one daughter, Kerri  from previous marriage, 2 wonderful grandkids, Emily 12 and Mitch 10.  We live on a small 80 acre farm in Illinois, just 2 miles south of the WI line ....Cold!!!  Which brings me to our obsession...our motor home and our florida house.  The older I get, the more I hate the cold.  We just got back from being gone 3 wks, and have already planned the next trip....  We got our babies so they go travel with us, good compact size!!!    We own and run an international manufacturing business in the printing/converting industries, I use to work there till my dd had her first baby...enough said, I had to stay home and play!!  She took my job and is much better at it!!!

I dont have any fancy titles, I'm just a grandma/wife/mom and that's fine with me.  I do love quilting/sewing, scrapping and have made well over 100 quilts, some soon to be delivered to the hurricane babies.  My husband, grandaughter and I are ceritfied scuba divers, that was a cool project to do with Emily. 

Here's our Motor Home, it takes up the space of 10 cars!!!  I do have three tucks....excursion, yukon and a pilot, Looks like Papa, Mama & baby bear! ....hubby drives a gmc p/u

affinity.jpg

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

Hi Terry - This is amazing - I too have a daughter Kerri and we are Disney/Ft. Wilderness (hotel) lovers. We are going back in Dec. This is Gracie - 12 wks.

Bonnie

post-1143-1130548927_thumb.jpg

Oh wow Bonnie, that's cool!! We're going in Dec, hopefully the first week if I get off my butt and make our ressies. We do the hotels too, but not since we got the girls in Feb. I hate the thought of boarding them yet. I know they'd be ok, and i will sometime, i miss the hotels. We're DVC members too....we are so spoiled!!! I'm going to take my Cairn flag and put it on our site, maybe you will see us! I'll post when we go just in case.

Edit: Darling baby gracie!!! Love the name. My grandaughters middle name is Grace.

Edited by mrskti

Terry, mom of Dori and Ellie Mae

th_IMG_0641-1.jpgth_prettypuppies.jpgth_IMG_0068.jpg

Hi everyone! I'm late getting to this thread, but I'm so glad to read everyone's stories. I've not been able to get on the board much because I've started working again.

My name is Thela, and I have been married to my husband, Taylor for almost 20 years. We have three children, a daughter who is 18 and a freshman in college, and two boys, 10 and 8. We live in south Louisiana, about 60 miles west of New Orleans.

My husband is a Lt. with the state police, and I have recently started my own business cleaning houses. So far, it's working out really well for me. I get to set my own hours and I'm not away from home for long periods of time like a full-time job would keep me.

My hobbies include photography, scrapbooking, and my dogs. I love learning about them, spending time grooming and playing them, and just watching them play! They are my constant source of joy.

I've also recently become involved working with the animal shelters in my area. After Hurricane Katrina hit our area, I saw the need for volunteers at the big shelter that had been set up in our town. I worked there for three weeks until Hurricane Rita hit. The shelter closed on October 15th, so now I work at our local parish shelter.

I've been grateful for the friends I have met on this board. Y'all have become my second family. I'm so glad to get to know y'all even better now!

Thela

Greetings from the beautiful state of Tennessee!!!

Jan here.

In 1988 at the tender age of 35, I became a widow with 2 young children to raise. Here it is 2005, my girls are young ladies, and I'm a new mom to Booker.

I'm an LPN working in a doctor's office....been there for 14 years. My youngest girl (age 23) followed in her mom's footsteps by becoming a nurse herself.

My oldest daughter (31) is on her 2nd ownership of Amy's Kitchen, a restaurant she started at the ripe ole age of 21. She relocated the restaurant 12 miles up the road from the original building. She's very successful with it.

http://jansown.com/kitchen.html

No grandchildren yet. My youngest girl is getting married in 5 weeks, so I'm busy working on that. I'm in the midst of making the invitations by hand, by myself.

Empty nesting right now, and it's more lonelier than I ever imagined.....never remarried. So, last April, Booker came into my life and is now my life. I said I'd never have another dog after losing Keesha when she was 16 years old.

I drove 100 miles last spring, took one look at Booker and decided he's mine. This was after doing a lot of online research about the breed.

I found this forum and learned a lot more about the breed. Glad it's here so people can become educated about Carin Terriers.

With Booker....I'm back to step one because I feel like I'm raising another child. He's into everything, but he's learning! It's super right now because the housebreaking ordeal is finally over. The members on this forum were so helpful. Everyone said it'd suddenly click with Booker, and it did.

Great Forum!!!!...............jan

jan

He who laughs last thinks slow.

Hello from America's sailing capital, Annapolis, Maryland. I'm Linda, 48-years-old & married to Bill for 5 years (2nd time for both of us). Murphy, a 2 1/2-year-old female & Trapper a 4-year-old male, are our furry family. I have NEVER had a dog in my entire life but fell in love with my husband's daughter's boxer 5 years ago. I knew then I was a "dog person" and had to have one. Easy to say but it too me 3 years of research to find a good fit for me, us and the dog. We settled on the Cairn! And, I can't imagine my life with out them!! We obtained Murphy from a great breeder (int'l dog show judge) in Va. and opted NOT to show her. She is a beauty, graceful & princess-like in demeanor. Trapper, we adopted 5 months after Murphy from a Cairn rescue group in our area. He is spunky & a true athlete. They get along like true brother & sister. BOTH are very affectionate in their own ways.

My husband is a retired airline pilot & a great guy. I have been in the media relations/PR biz most of my life as a small business owner. I've also done stints in the US Air Force & with FEMA doing the same. Today, I'm freelancing and working on a book about cruising with your canine companion. I have TONS of research to do on publishing a book & want to interview other boaters with dogs. I hope to publish in a year or so.

We have 42' sailboat named Joie de Vivre and have trained the pups to a sailing lifestyle when we're not hanging around here in Annapolis. We love sailing & have taken the boat to Maine (twice), New England, the U.S. East Coast, Bermuda & the Bahamas. We have a wonderful active life with my husbands two grown daughters, one grandson, one granddaughter & one "unknown" on the way.

I have just been elected to serve as our yacht club's Vice Commodore and anticipate a very busy year with these new duties. Yikes!! I also adore gardening (veggies, herbs, flowers, etc.), cooking, biking, reading & drinking wine! Life is indeed very good!!! :thumbsup: I invite all Cairn owners & their pups to visit us in Annapolis!! Thank you for the opportunity to chat! I just LOVE this forum. Cheers all!

Linda (AKA: Murphy & Trapper's mom)

Linda, we visit Annapolis once in a while - my husband's aunt and uncle live there (near the water tower by the academy, overlooking the lake). His uncle is a retired surgeon (Anne Arundel) and when they were younger they did own a boat AND had a miniature schnauzer, not sure if they had both at the same time. Now that they are empty nesters they travel a lot. We didn't bring Alfie with us when we last visited but regretted it when we saw tons of pets walking with their owners in downtown Annapolis. I love Maryland crabs!!!

Anna,

Annapolis is, indeed, a VERY dog friendly town. Most of the shows downtown have water bowls outside for furry friends. And, everyone seems to ahve a dog here. Have your seen the great boutique called Paws? Wow, it's fabulous. Next time you're visiting your family DO bring Alfie & DO let me know we'll roll out the red doggie carpet, make a day of it at the Dog Park and show your the sights.

Linda (AKA: Murphy & Trapper's mom)

Linda, I didn't see Paws but we'll watch out for it next time. A sight I couldn't forget was in front of an ice cream shop on the main street - there were 3 aussie terriers being fed their own ice cream! I will definitely let you know when we're coming over. It will be with Alfie, for sure. We got grief for not bringing him :-(

I was excited to see this thread! I always wanted to know about the people here but didn't know how we could do that and stay on topic of Cairns. Thanks Teri!

I am Marsha and am 38. I've been married to DH, also 38, for 5 years on 12/2. We actually met when we were 3 years old at church but I don't remember him until jr. high when we were in confirmation class together. We never had a class together in school believe it or not. We were boyfriend/girlfriend for most of 8th grade, (I kept a diary and found it not long ago. What a hoot! I was sooo in love!) :whistle: In high school I worked as a lifeguard and swimming teacher at the local pool. DH would come to swim and splash me on the lifeguard stand. I found out much later that he was flirting with me! I just thought he was bugging me. I was engaged twice after college but never married. DH did not go to our 10 year HS reunion but looked me up not long after. We still lived in the same city, now about a mile from each other. He had just gone through a divorce and his dad had recently recovered from prostate cancer. About a year after that phone call, (he said he'd call again sometime...never did...MEN! LOL) I called him. We started out as friends again and got engaged 2 years later. Our parents live in our same city and everyone gets along great, (of course they knew each other from church too.)

We live in a suburb west of Denver. I was born here, as was DH. I am an elementary school teacher and DH manages an auto body shop. He used to be a systems administrator but was laid off and ever since 9/11, those jobs have never bounced back.

Many of you know that we recently adopted a baby, (which is why I don't get on here much anymore!) Our dream of a child took over 4 1/2 years but it was worth the wait. Our adoption journey was rough. We brought a baby home in May 2004, only to have his birthmother change her mind the next day. We had 2 other potential situations fall through after the babies were born but before we brought them home. Our son was born on 9/9/05 and we brought him home the next day. He is almost 8 weeks old and weighs almost 13 pounds! Big boy and an absolute doll baby! :wub: I have taken another year off from my teaching job. I took last year off too since we thought we'd be getting a baby. I went back to work in August and then of course we got the call that we had been chosen again by another birthmother. Less than 2 weeks later our son was born!

Carolina LOVES "her baby". I have some great photos of her lying right beside him.

Sorry this got so long!

My name is Wendy and my husband and I (and the furry family members) live just outside of Jacksonville, FL, GO JAGS! My husband works for the federal gov't with the Navy here and I work for the Jacksonville Zoo. Figures. We love to go for rides on DH's Harley and I take lots of pictures of the puppies. They take up lots of my time, especially Vinnie Barbarino, my first Cairn. He's way different than my big dogs, with a personality to rival all of them!

post-1069-1131397418_thumb.jpg

The more I know of people, the more I like my dog.

Guest girliejr

Hi everyone. I'm April and I am the proud "mother" of Jack who will be 4 in January. I am not married and have no fur-less children. I'm 32 and I live in Dallas, TX. I am in television advertising sales and I've been in the business for about a year and a half. Before that I was a makeup artist and before that I was a flight attendant for seven years. The first thing I did when I stopped flying was get Jack! I couldn't have a dog as a flight attendant because I was out of town 3 days a week! Now I can't remember life without him!

I love this thread! It was such a good idea to get to know everyone!

I also like this forum alot, although, lately, I've been so busy with work, I rarely have time to post anymore! I was checking the site pretty much every day for a while, but I recently took a new position that keeps me a lot busier than I was!

Thanks everyone!

• 3 weeks later...

Well first, I want to say to Linda--My daughter has a close friend, female, who is attending the academy in Annapolis. She sings the praises of the area often!

Now, let me say first, that I am Abe and Scruf's mom, posting under dad's name as usual. Since he only mentioned me in passing (hmph) I thought I would add my two cents.

I am the mother of his three furless children, and the two furry ones. I am an artist, I paint murals as well, and I am the art/program director of a local Cultural Arts center. (which I will be leaving soon to go decorate for the holidays).

I have to admit, after our collie died, I was adamant about NOT getting another pet, I just did not think I could do it again, the loss is terrible. However, James never gave up, and eventually we broke down and went to a breeder to look at the two puppies she had left, of course the rest is history! I am glad I gave in.

I also wanted to express appreciation for the fun and joy we have looking at the board. It is an invaluable tool for information, shared experiences, and common interests. Thanks to all who share their dogs, and their time and efforts, making this forum a great place to be a part of.

Mom

I'm Jen, I live in Indiana with my family. I'm married almost 8 years, two kids, Andrew 6, Elisabeth 4. I am currently a stay at home mom and have been since Andrew was born, but looking to return back to work sometime in 2006. Time for the "seasons" to change again in life.....

I was raised with animals, I've had a pet literally since I was brought home from the hospital at birth! I've always considered myself a cat lover at heart, but Alfie has changed that tremendously, I can't believe how much I love the little guy!!

We got Alfie in August of 2005 on his 12 week birthday. I've had labradors my whole life but decided it's just too much dog around my kids and our home, so I started looking at the smaller breeds. I just happened to run into information on Cairns and once I did I was hooked! It wasn't too long after that I saw an ad in our paper about Alfred. It was completely meant to be!!

I've only been at this forum for a week and already love it here. everyone is so friendly and helpful. it has already made such a big difference in how Alfie is doing, the kind of mommy I can be to him. I love it that we all share the same passion for our little furkids!!

Guest CairnTCrazie

Well my name is Marin (mare-in) im 14, Im a big animal person! I have 1 cairn (Emma), an Appendix Quarter Horse named Tucker, a Percheron/Quarter Horse named Willie, A Thoroughbred named Darby, and two Miniature horses named Widget and Cricket, plus a cat named Bast, and a bird named Voodoo. I ride english and love jumping as well as dressage. Im also a member of the USPC (United States Pony Club) which is like 4H for english riders under the age of 25. Emma is our 1st Cairn and we have had her for 5 years/her whole life, and we hope to buy another little one soon!

Hi Marin! You make me feel old! I have a daughter who is 16 and my son is 12! You seem to be well-accomplished at your age. My daughter has a friend who is also a member of the USPC and rides english. My daughter used to go with her to the farm to feed her horse and she would come back stinky. Anyhow...welcome to the forum!

Hello from the Lone Star State,

I have been reading these posts - these are great. :thumbsup: I'm always skeptical about posting too much personal information online, but I want to post just enough to let you know more about me. I'm Lynn 30 yrs old with my first cairn, Rocko (3 1/2 months). (Yes, I'm the one reading all the previous posts on crate training/house training/hand stripping, I definately appreciate the advice!!) I'm currently a stay at home Mom, and I've been married for 11 yrs. My Dh, R.J. and I have 3 girls 7, 5, & 3. We live in a small town in TX, 12 minutes to the nearest store. Others in our family consist of our 5 yr old yellow lab and 7 horses, plus our cows. Our girls love to ride their horses and that makes their Daddy proud. They've wanted an inside dog for so long (and so did Mommy). Daddy said sure and I knew I wanted a breed that was scruffy and tough, good with the girls and yet won't get trampled by them.

Rocko's the best. :halo: (Well, maybe not an angel, but still...) He's the cutest little thing and best of all R.J. loves him as much as we do! I searched and searched to find a cairn terrier, for many people didn't know what they were. I guess we're in a class all of our own! :confused: But to add to the difficulty, I wanted a black, or dark brindle. (See if I would of found this forum, before I found mine, I would of known that they change colors anyway!!) Well, I found him! we drove 5 hours to get this little bugger and he's been so worth it. At 10 weeks, his coloring was black brindle, but now he's already begun to lighten up. Toomanypaws, I'm with you "He could turn purple and I'll still love him!"

I want to truely thank you all so much for all the great advice that I've read up on. This forum is terrific, I check it daily. I see all the fun that you have with your cairns, it's great. And for you that have 2 or more :shock: ...I think it's addictive! I'm already planning for my 2nd Cairn. Which, of course, will be once Rocko is completely house broken and mellowed, as much as these guys can mellow - what, maybe around 2-3 years, if I'm lucky? Oh yeah, don't tell my husband! ;)

I am so glad to know alittle more about me and my family. God Bless you all.

Lynn

I'm going to have to figure out this picture posting...I want you to see Rocko.

Hi everyone! I'm new to the forum...my name is Dana, and my 4 month old baby boy Cairn, Miles and I are from Central Illinois. I also live with my husband and 3-year old daughter and 3 Border Collies. :) I've been a licensed veterinary technician for 9 years, and work for an animal welfare organization. I'm really lucky that I'm able to bring my dogs to work everyday, and my new little guy, Miles, has been my constant companion ever since we first laid eyes on each other on October 17, 2005. As you can see from the attached photo, Miles puts in a hard day's work when he comes to the office with me! :D

It's nice to meet everyone- I look forward to chatting with you!

post-1206-1134351831_thumb.jpg

Dana a.k.a. Miles' Mom

:lol: - Oh yes, Miles sure "works" hard when he comes to work with me....he has his own group of work buddies that he plays with every day: a beagle, a pug/boston mix, a maltese and a yorkie. We call them the "biscuit klatch"- tee hee!post-1206-1134697629_thumb.jpg

Dana a.k.a. Miles' Mom

Dana, that picture is precious........they will sleep anywhere, won't they? My DH looked at your picture and said,"looks like our dogs". I swear they will sleep anywhere and in any position!

Hello! My name is Dawn. I'm an orthopedic trauma surgery office manager, also from the Lone Star State. Hubby, Mike, and I have been married for 4.5 years.

I'm new to Carins. We're getting our first one on Wednesday.

She's 2 months old. I swore I'd never get another puppy, but it seems to be the best bet as a lifelong partner for our son to grow up with. Our son, Brock, is 2.5 years old.

I've had Ridgebacks for 20+ years and we wanted a smaller, tough dog to travel with as Ridgebacks take up a lot of room!

I rodeo and will start hauling heavy again in 2006 after a 5 year hiatus and look forward to having a Cairn as my co-pilot. :halo: / :twisted:

Well, I'm coming late to the party but have enjoyed reading about all of you!

I am Kim. I'm 43 years old, married to Lou for the past 20 years. We have three children, Sean (15) who is a freshman in HS and identical twin boys, Brian and Craig (11) who are in 5th grade. No fancy title for me either. I've been a SAHM for 15 years. Piper is 2 and is the love of all our lives!! I first started coming here to this website after we had to have our first Cairn, Lucy, put down due to kidney failure.

We live in Knoxville, TN and have for the past 8 years. I am originally from the Northwoods of Wisconsin, my DH is originally from Long Island. In our 20 years of marriage, we have lived on Long Island, in Maryland, Atlanta, Wisconsin, North Carolina, Ohio, and now of course, Tennessee.

Besides being a mom to my boys and Piper, I enjoy reading, traveling (just not enough time or money for it now), cooking, music, and I am an AEROSMITH fanatic. In fact, appropriately enough, Piper's sire's name is Tyler and she was born on what is Aerosmith Day in Massachusetts. I also moderate a few forums on a twins-related website that I am active with.

Hmmm, that's about it for now. ;)

Kim,mama to furbaby, Piper 4/13/2003

"Things that upset a terrier may pass virtually unnoticed by a Great Dane." ~ Smiley Blanton

• 2 weeks later...

Hi Everyone,

My name is Lisa, I live in Maine. I am 39 years old and I have been married to my husband John for 8 years. We have no children but we have a little cairn named Harry. Harry just turned 8 months old and is prooving to be every inch a cairn. My husband is my very best friend and we enjoy lots of hiking, skiing, biking, scuba diving and boating. We take Harry everywhere with us and he has become a lover of my kayak. I enjoy this forum very much and I am very grateful to all of you other cairn lovers who have helped me out so much during our first year as puppy owners!! Thank you!

post-958-1135800059_thumb.jpg