CairnTalk

Another Unknown Growth

_whits_

The one thing that has been cheering her up without fail is stopping by the windows of two apartments that have cats. On every potty walk I'm not allowed to take her inside until we see her kitties. 

One apartment has two cats that were rescued in Bahrain, and they're very regal looking, long skinny necks, one cat black and white, the other orange and white. They're not fans of Addie, and quick to guard their apartment from her intrusion,  but they do let her stare at them from a distance without getting too stressed.

Another apartment has an orange tabby that rushes to the window every time she sees Addie and they could sit there staring at each other for hours. They like to dart around and play hide and seek through the window. 

I'm terribly, terribly allergic to cats and therefore not too fond of them, but those three cats are the only thing that has brought any cheer out of Addie in the past 24 hours so I'd love to hug them if I could. 

• Like 7

"as far as i am concerned cairns are the original spirit from which all terriers spring, and all terriers are cairns very deep down inside." pkcrossley

Whitney I just thought of something. Please ask your oncologist if silver coated bandaging (for human burn victims) can be used on Addie's leg? Dr Burrell works at the University of Alberta and invented this new application. http://innovationcanada150.ca/2016/03/acticoat-one-of-worlds-biggest-advances-in-burnwound-care/

Edited by Terrier lover
  • Like 3

Until one has loved an animal, a part of  one's soul remains unawakened.  - Anatole France

Adventures with Sam &Rosie

Oh, please - please forgive me Mz Addie for suggesting something that cause you pain, and your mommy distress.  I thought the sock might be the lesser of the evil of bandaging.  :(  Should she have to go the gaze route, may she have a better out come then she had with cute little ruffled anklets!  Spoil her mom - as the song once told us:  "She ain't heavy, she's my baby."  Ok, reworded it here, but the meaning looses nothing in doing so.  Backing up a bit here, if she was distressed with the sock might the out come be about the same with a bandage?  The numbing spray if fact/option and sock/bandage might be the answer.  Do you sew mom?     

• Like 1

8 minutes ago, Donna Crume said:

Oh, please - please forgive me Mz Addie for suggesting something that cause you pain, and your mommy distress.  I thought the sock might be the lesser of the evil of bandaging.  :(  

Not AT ALL your fault! I had the baby socks and was planning on trying them before you ever made your suggestion. 

I appreciate any and all advice as I try to make my little girl as comfortable as possible. 

• Like 1

"as far as i am concerned cairns are the original spirit from which all terriers spring, and all terriers are cairns very deep down inside." pkcrossley

Oh Whitney, I am so very sorry for Addie´s pain. She shouldn't have to go through this now after all she's been through - and neither should you. I hope her oncologist can recommend something that will give her some much-needed relief, give you some peace of mind and allow her to walk in relative comfort. Did the oncologist tell you how long the burns usually take to heal? Sending great big hugs to you and Addie. :hug:

• Like 1

Lola said to add that she loves the neck ring. It looks very handy for improptu naps, especially outside. She also said that she bets Addie is just lulling those cats into a false sense of security! :D

• Like 2

so sorry that Addie is having this pain, hope the oncologist can suggest something to help.  As mentioned a spray of something may be easier.

• Like 1

www.cairnterriertalk.co.uk

so sorry that Addie has to go through such a horrible thing:cry:hey but once you get over this hurtle there will be no more Anesthesia and radiation each day. Just get past this and look forward to good things

Edited by Duck's mama
  • Like 1

Addie's having a pretty good day today. The open wounds developed scabs overnight, which are giving them some protection. She isn't limping as much and does not seem to be in as much pain as the last two days. But she did ask me to carry her back in from potty. 

On her last potty last night we ran into the mom of the cats from Bahrain. I explained Addie's tumor and why she's so often standing outside the window, and cat mom told me Addie is welcome to get as close as she wants to the windows and stare as much as she wants.

image.jpeg

• Like 6

Thank heavens last night was better!  I have been checking the forum regularly, hoping for an update.  Didn't want to pester you because I know you have a lot on your hands (and mind) these days. 

Did you talk to the oncologist yet?  

Addie looks noticeably less miserable in your latest pic and seems to be getting that Cairn spark back in her eyes.  Thanks so much for sharing the latest news!

Edited by hheldorfer
  • Like 1

Addie looks like she is thinking, "Hey, since I'm getting all this sympathy, I might as well hog the most comfy chair in the house!" :D

• Like 4

I was happy to read that Addie was feeling a little better yesterday and hopefully even more so today.  It's so hard to see our pups in any kind of pain or distress.  If I even step on Maisie's tail and she cries out, I'm a mess.  I wish I could reach through the screen and give Addie a big hug when I look at her lying on that chair, she has touched all of our hearts and we're all on pins and needles waiting for the day when it's all over and Addie is up running, jumping and playing once again.  Hang in there sweet girl, it's going to get better.

• Like 1

image.jpeg

• Like 2

Little miss Addie is having a rough day today. The largest of her paw pads on her injured foot is starting to peel off, in addition to an increasingly larger burn. She's panting like she's run a marathon. And she's eating about 1/2 of her usual food intake. Poos and pees are normal, though. Most heartbreakingly for me, is that she just isn't Addie. My sunshine, attack every day with cheer, nothing-will-get-me-down girl has been moping through life since Friday (with the exception of yesterday morning). She's either asleep or looking and acting miserable. 

The neighborhood cats still get a little excitement out of her, and her new hobby is three-legged cockroach chasing. There's been a bit of an explosion of cockroaches outside the apartment complex (I have never been more glad to be on an upper floor) and goodness me she likes trying to attack them, even with only 3 good legs. I'll carry her by those cats every day if that's what it takes to give her a little happiness.

I spoke to her technician today (who had just consulted with her doctor). They want me to stop the aloe, as it's not likely to do much good now that the burn has progressed this far. Likewise with any other creams, ointments, sprays. Apparently fresh air and keeping it dry are the best things for swift healing. They're calling in a different painkiller, but it needs to be compounded due to Addie's small size, so it could be a day or two before we get it. They want me to hold off on bandaging her foot/leg as long as possible, as the added moisture from the bandage can delay healing significantly. Her tech was REALLY surprised Addie was still even trying to put weight on her foot, thinking by now she'd be holding the leg up all the time. 

They expect the new painkiller (once she gets it) should help her deal with what is a really painful injury. And as a result it should decrease her panting and increase her appetite. It does have the side effect of drowsiness, although I can't imagine Addie sleeping even more than she already is. Like I said, they want me to hold off on coming in for a bandage until the damage she does by walking outweighs the damage the bandage will do to the healing process. 

She's been so courageous and upbeat about this whole process, since I found the tumor, it got poked and prodded with testing, through the surgery and the recovery from the nerve damage in her leg, and the daily radiation and anesthesia, that it really caught me by surprise how much this portion of the process had just crushed her little spirit. I can't imagine the pain she must be in that it's so completely overwhelmed her normal personality. 

Poor Addie, I feel so bad for her. Hopefully the new meds will make her life easier until she heals. Hugs to you Whitney, it's  so tough to see them in pain. Did you ask them about the silver burn bandages?

• Like 1

Until one has loved an animal, a part of  one's soul remains unawakened.  - Anatole France

Adventures with Sam &Rosie

Poor little Addie:cry::cry::cry:. Just hang in there. You are doing everything you can possibly do to keep her happy and comfortable as she can be

• Like 1

No doubt the pain is bad. Poor little one. I've had past experience with other dogs that letting air get to the wound does help with healiing.  Tough times but you know that cairn Addie's spirit is there (wants to chase cockroach and stare at kitties) even if she is very limited in getting around. Cairn spirit never dies - don't let yours either whits.

• Like 2

I know how pitiful it is to see a Cairn that seems to have lost her spirit.  She'll absolutely get it back, Whitney.  It will take time and patience (which is hard to muster if you're a Cairn) but she'll be OK.  

Question about the paw pad(s):  Once the worst of the burn has healed, will she need to wear a boot to protect her foot?

• Like 1

I am so sorry that Addie is in such pain, but knowing Cairns the pain in this instance may be a good thing for her body. The pain will keep her from over doing. Her body needs this down time to heal itself. If she was up being active she would be using her energy on that.

She will bounce back, and be the Cairn that she is. 

I am so glad the treatments are over. I think about y'all every day.

• Like 1

oof, sounds like you are into the worst of it. must be uphill from here. poor addie, she really does not understand it. she doesn't know what she got bitten by, but she knows you didn't do it. you'll have your addie back.

• Like 1