CairnTalk

Another Unknown Growth

_whits_

Almost there! Looking great.

• Like 1

Until one has loved an animal, a part of  one's soul remains unawakened.  - Anatole France

Adventures with Sam &Rosie

Is Addie's fur starting to regrow?  I can't really tell, but it seems like that latest chicken's foot shot has a slight bit of fuzz on the leg.

• Like 1

Who rescued whom?

Hello all! It's been a whirlwind since I last updated everyone. In a generally planned but unexpectedly short timeline, Addie and I moved back to our home state of Colorado. I've been planning on making the move most of the year but Addie's tumor and treatment put everything on hold and then her continued minor setbacks delayed the move more. I didn't want to take a chance with her recovery so wanted to stay in Virginia until I was absolutely certain all was well. But when I got the all clear on her health at the beginning of September, I also had the chance to either move back to Colorado the next week or, due to family scheduling issues, wait until October or November. I was ready to be closer to family and wanted Addie and I to have a fresh start as soon as possible, so we left Virginia on September 9, after one final vet check-up. 

Addie handled the nearly 2,000 mile road trip like a champion. She slept in her car seat, enjoyed her rest stops, and made the most out of the hotels. She is so adaptable and I am thankful every day I had the foresight to take her with me everywhere as a puppy and travel with her often, as she never particularly worries about where she is as long as I am with her. Life is a grand adventure as long as mommy is in sight. 

As of tonight the last box is unpacked and the last picture is hung, and tomorrow Addie gets to see Grandma and Grandpa and some other loved ones who now live wonderfully close by. 

As for Addie's recovery: the hair is starting to grow back on her leg!!! Addie's paw pads and radiation burns are 100% healed as of 2 weeks ago. Just a little over 4 months from discovery of her tumor to complete healing, with surgery, radiation, 19 rounds of anesthesia, two courses of anti-inflammatory meds, and three courses of antibiotics in-between. It has been an arduous journey but I am so blessed to have the outcome and future Addie now has and so grateful and thankful for the most amazing support system here on Cairn Talk. I've always valued the advice and comraderie but I honestly don't know how I would have made it through this long summer without you all. I was a wreck of worry and it was so comforting to know Addie had an extended family of Cairn lovers out there, thinking of her and ready to offer so much wonderful emotional support. I will be forever grateful to each of you. 

Hoping to catch up on three weeks of forum activity soon. 

image.jpeg

image.jpeg

• Like 8

"as far as i am concerned cairns are the original spirit from which all terriers spring, and all terriers are cairns very deep down inside." pkcrossley

How to have a stressful time!  You have done well to deal with Addie's problem and then the move!  Her foot now looks so good which must be a huge relief to you along with being near family for support and help.  Hope things continue to go better for you now the long summer is over!  And Addie looks very content with the view she now has!

• Like 1

www.cairnterriertalk.co.uk

Fantastic news - both about Addie's foot and about your move!  You obviously love Colorado and Addie has a great view from her balcony (not to mention the advantages of having grandma and grandpa close by!)

P.S.  Does the  higher altitude affect Addie?

Edited by hheldorfer
  • Like 1

Congrats on your move!  Addie's foot is looking great!  It is so wonderful when they travel well, isn't it? Mommy here? Check!  Food bowl? Check!  Water? Check!  All is right with the world. :D

Love the view, too!

• Like 1

Such good news. Addie's leg is looking much better. She travels so well that it makes it easy to take her with you. Have a good time in your new place and Addie will have a good time with Grandma and Grandpa.

• Like 1

I am relieved to hear from you and so happy you and Addie are safely home in Colorado with family and friends. I'm so glad Addie is healing well. You have made my day.  

I am very happy for your parents as well. Being a Mom I know I would be heartbroken if my children moved far away and would be ecstatic at their return. :lol: 

• Like 1

7 hours ago, hheldorfer said:

P.S.  Does the  higher altitude affect Addie?

I think the cross-country drive helped us adapt slowly to the altitude change, as I haven't noticed either of us dealing with any altitude-related issues. When I've flown home in the past, however, I've definitely dealt with pretty severe altitude sickness, which is embarrassing for a Colorado native. 

The sun is a lot more intense here; being higher up means we're closer to the sun and there's less atmosphere, so the sun burns skin faster. Even though it's cooler in temperature here than Virginia, the daytime sun can get very hot and I've noticed Addie gets overheated faster. But then without humidity the temperatures are significantly cooler in the shade and it gets almost cold at night. I need to remember to layer. Addie has figured out she can cool off by moving to the shade, which would not have worked in Virginia, where it is the same temperature whether or not you are in direct sun.

The drier air is giving me some nosebleeds, so I'm keeping a close eye on Addie's exposed leg to make sure it doesn't dry out. 

Edited by _whits_
  • Like 3

"as far as i am concerned cairns are the original spirit from which all terriers spring, and all terriers are cairns very deep down inside." pkcrossley

Thanks for the reply re: altitude.  I have only visited Colorado once and discovered that . . . um . . . alcohol has a much greater effect in the higher altitude.:shy:

Had we known you were taking a cross-country drive we could have lined up Cairn meet-and-greets in advance for you.:)

• Like 4

Interesting conversation--the girls and I live at 4900 feet and we have problems when we get to sea level--if there is humidity.  That muggy weather saps us big time--and I was raised in Southern Illinois!  I couldn't imagine living back in that low country now.

• Like 1

That is such amazing news that Addie is 100% better!!! I am also glad that you were able to adapt to the higher altitude. Are you in the mountains? I used to live right by the Cascade mountain range in Washington state and I absolutely LOVED it. But anyway, we need to celebrate Addie's full recovery!:party::party::party: So glad that you were able to treat and help Addie so much! You just powered through this! Go Addie!!! Have fun with your grandma and grandpa! 

• Like 2

Yay, Addie!  We're out here right now, in Fraser.  Kirby has been doing well in the altitude but I do notice he feels the sun more.  I've gotta say, 74* up here feels way warmer than it does in Missouri!  And he's also figured out that shade is nice and cool.  We're going to do a short hike in the national forest today, maybe an ATV ride later in the week.  Kirb loves riding ATVs so he's really looking forward to that!

• Like 2
Jandy and my Cairns, Kirby & Phinney 

10 hours ago, _whits_ said:

In less than a week, she's figured out the door that goes to the garage, the door that goes to her potty breaks, the door to the trash chute, the door to the mail room, and her own apartment door, and all except 2 are on different floors.

Lola says, "Duh!  Of *course* she has!" :D

Glad she is doing so well in your new place!

• Like 2