CairnTalk

Another Unknown Growth

_whits_

Happy for encouraging news. Any minute now you'll have to fake a limp or something  Addie to get the extras we know you feel need!!!

• Like 2

She is healing quickly and that's wonderful.  Although, I'm sure to you and poor Addie, it doesn't feel that way.  She is one incredible little Cairn and so pretty too!  I think she looks adorable with her little bandages on although I know she must have been suffering.  I'm very glad that she is turning a corner and is now on the downhill side.  Love the pictures.....hint, hint

• Like 1

I'm so glad to hear that Addie is doing so well and that this is all coming to an end!  She's been such a little trooper! The two of you won't know what to do with all your extra time when this is all over. Lola suggests grilling some steaks to celebrate. :)

• Like 3

26 minutes ago, Autumn & Lola said:

I'm so glad to hear that Addie is doing so well and that this is all coming to an end!  She's been such a little trooper! The two of you won't know what to do with all your extra time when this is all over. Lola suggests grilling some steaks to celebrate. :)

I second Lola's suggestion.  Can't you make an exception - just this ONE time - for Addie?  Just a small filet will do.  ;)

• Like 2

54 minutes ago, hheldorfer said:

I second Lola's suggestion.  Can't you make an exception - just this ONE time - for Addie?  Just a small filet will do.  ;)

You two must want Addie hospitalized with E. coli or some other food-borne illness because I have absolutely no idea how to cook meat. :lol:

But I might pick up some deli turkey for her. 

• Like 1

"as far as i am concerned cairns are the original spirit from which all terriers spring, and all terriers are cairns very deep down inside." pkcrossley

26 minutes ago, _whits_ said:

You two must want Addie hospitalized with E. coli or some other food-borne illness because I have absolutely no idea how to cook meat. :lol:

I wouldn't recommend the deli turkey unless it has absolutely no additives (which is unlikely).  We believe some deli chicken caused Buffy's last bout of diarrhea.:w00t:

It's simple:  Buy a filet.  Heat frying pan.  Sear both sides of the meat at high heat, cover and let it cook on a lower heat setting for 5-10 minutes.  Cut and serve.  Trust me:  Addie won't care about your lack of cooking expertise.:)

• Like 2

Rosie here. Tell your mum Addie, that the only person who  gets  E. coli from meat would be her. We eat all kinds of neat stuff don't we. Jock loved poopsicles (I don't) but it never made him sick.:sick:  I say take hh advice and get your mum to cook a piece of steak. 

Lynn here. Well Whitney you could also give her a small piece of your cooked fish. No doubt Addie would love that also. 

• Like 1

Until one has loved an animal, a part of  one's soul remains unawakened.  - Anatole France

Adventures with Sam &Rosie

Good to hear that Addie is improving.  

[Yes, fish if not steak  - Ivy loves it!  I have a small trout fillet for a meal and Ivy has the skin off it and thinks it is delicious...... it is the only meal I have when a little Cairn sits by me waiting for something!]

• Like 1

www.cairnterriertalk.co.uk

23 hours ago, _whits_ said:

Ahhh, are you vegetarian?  I've went vegan (again) in April, except once a week when I got out to dinner with the hubs (although I do often try to find animal-free dishes).  I just don't think Addie would fully appreciate grilled tofu... :D

• Like 1

Addie wanted me to add: no more inner tube of shame!

• Like 3

"as far as i am concerned cairns are the original spirit from which all terriers spring, and all terriers are cairns very deep down inside." pkcrossley

Congrats, Addie!  Love your 'chicken foot'.:P  Thank heavens you have rid yourself of the inner tube of shame!

Just a random thought:  If Addie shows any discomfort even while wearing the boot, you could put a little piece of foam (or other type of padding) in the bottom for some extra cushioning.

Edited by hheldorfer
  • Like 1

GREAT news!

• Like 1

Until one has loved an animal, a part of  one's soul remains unawakened.  - Anatole France

Adventures with Sam &Rosie

Awesome news! Addie's expression says it all - happy times now!  Her chicken foot didn't look as bad as I expected - so glad it is healing quickly! Crap Summer 2016 will soon be a distant memory. :)

• Like 2

I could use some advice. Addie's leg has no hair from her toes to her ankle (see picture). On walks she needs to wear something to protect her missing foot pad (especially in our current 115 degree heat index). 

Her snow boot only goes up part of the way on her leg, and is starting to rub and tear the skin where it ties (with Velcro around felt). Her skin is so fragile any boot needs to fasten above the injury.

Her post-surgery boot is tall enough but is painful because it's meant to waterproof and protect a bandage and therefore doesn't have any internal padding (and actually has some scratchy uncomfortable seams on the inside). I tried having Addie wear a baby sock underneath the surgery boot but they both slipped right off.

The baby knee-high sock alone won't stay on her foot because her leg skin is so slippery. 

I can't seem to find anything that is high enough to cover her entire lower leg, is comfortable to wear, and will stay on. 

Any ideas?

image.jpeg

I'm just throwing this out here for the sake of discussion, maybe it will feed some better ideas.

My thought is stuffing a couple cotton balls at the bottom of long narrow balloon and then roll it up like you would a long sock. Then tightly tape around the top of the balloon to secure it or even rubber bands. My concern would be the inability of this to breathe. But if it is for a short time, it may not matter. If her nails punctured the balloon while walking I doubt it would shred the balloon as it wouldn't be under pressure as it would if it were inflated.

Probably not a great idea, but the only thing I could think of off the top of my head on short notice.

• Like 1

Sassy Jan 22, 2005

AM. CH. THARRBARR LITE MY FIRE ZOMERHOF

Can you turn the surgery boot inside out so the seams don't rub?  Maybe add some padding at the bottom (if needed)?

I understand exactly what you want and could probably make something for you, but not in time to take care of Addie's current needs.:(

Edited by hheldorfer