CairnTalk

Another Unknown Growth

_whits_

Sending Irish angels over to watch out for Addie. And wishing the very best for her.

Addie, we all are about you. Oban sends his hopes for your full recovery too.

• Like 1

Best of luck today to Addie and Whits, and for the duration of the treatment. I'm sure she will be back to breaking all those rules in no time. :)

• Like 2

First treatment done! Addie came out, leapt into my arms and gave me kisses. She's slightly groggy and wobbly, but they said she did great and I'm so relieved. She's now sleeping in her car seat and we're headed home. 

• Like 9

"as far as i am concerned cairns are the original spirit from which all terriers spring, and all terriers are cairns very deep down inside." pkcrossley

Aww. Way to go, little Addie. We're all sending hugs, prayers, and tail wags for you and your mommy. And oh my. That pose on the coffee table... I thought she could not get any more adorable than that closet picture you posted a while back, but this one is priceless, especially knowing the timing and backstory. Thank you for keeping us updated. :) 

• Like 1

Took it like a true Cairn!  So happy she did well. You're a STAR, Addie and so is your mommy! :)

• Like 1

Already there's a Light at the end of the tunnel . Good job Whits and Addie! Upward and onward.:thumbsup:

• Like 1

Until one has loved an animal, a part of  one's soul remains unawakened.  - Anatole France

Adventures with Sam &Rosie

Go for it Addie. You will conquer this thing. Then you can get back to conquering your home.

Edited by Malcolm's Dad
  • Like 1

11 minutes ago, Malcolm's Dad said:

Go for it Addie. You will conquer this thing. Then you can get back to conquering your home.

No offense but I think the home has already been conquered.  Addie will have to move on to conquering the entire apartment complex.:P

• Like 5

1 hour ago, hheldorfer said:

No offense but I think the home has already been conquered.  Addie will have to move on to conquering the entire apartment complex.:P

No offense taken. hheldorfer you are such a considerate person. Bless you.  Yes Addie will have to widen her horizon.

Edited by Malcolm's Dad
  • Like 3

Three treatments in and 15 to go. Addie is getting increasingly nervous sitting in the waiting room, but acting decreasingly affected (physically and emotionally) after each treatment. The tech says she is their fastest patient to wake up in years. They feed her breakfast in an attempt to bond with her, and say she gobbles it up happily. From the techs taking her back to me getting her (and she always jumps into my arms) it's about 45 mins.

She's started losing the hair on her leg and is developing what looks to be a radiation burn. She doesn't appear to have any bad reactions to the daily intubation (they dip the tube in lidocaine) or any pain in the leg they use to administer the anesthesia. Thankfully I'm at the vet everyday to ask my many questions. 

She usually naps for a couple hours when we get home (our appointments are early, for both of us and we both apparently suck at getting to sleep early). And then she wakes up the same Addie she's always been. 

Last night she kicked me in her sleep and I gently reached over to move her leg. She woke up with a start, growling, which she's never done. So she's either in pain or just bloody tired of people touching that leg. 

• Like 6

"as far as i am concerned cairns are the original spirit from which all terriers spring, and all terriers are cairns very deep down inside." pkcrossley

Gee, Gus always growls if I accidentally touch him with my foot during the night! Maybe Addie is just getting the hang of "Leave me alone!"

• Like 3

I get it entirely.  Teddy's about to enter a set of treatments.  No growths or anything following X-Rays and Ultrasound.  The vet thinks he has an autoimmune condition.
 And he is not fond of being poked or prodded.  (Go Figure.)

The biopsy being done tomorrow should confirm/deny that.   Given how Sweet Pea (his litter mate) deteriorated, and her symptoms, I think it seems like a similar condition..speaking as a human with several auto-immune conditions myself.  We'll be following Addie..want to see her happy and healthy!

• Like 1

Max and Nelly
signature.jpg.1a2f02ae93418630654caf879c6d4783.jpg

Thanks for the update, Whitney.  Addie's reaction to you touching her leg could be a lot of things, possibly "Hey, I was having a great dream and was about to catch that squirrel!".  Also, the fact that she's losing hair on the leg may cause it to feel odd when you touch it.  

All in all it sounds like both of you are doing pretty well.  Looking forward to future updates and praying for an excellent outcome.:hug:

• Like 1

What can they give her for the radiation burn ?Anything?

Jock always growled and showed his teeth when awakened suddenly. Used to scare the heck out of me. 

• Like 1

Until one has loved an animal, a part of  one's soul remains unawakened.  - Anatole France

Malcolm growls if I move in bed. Once he is comfortably settled in he does not like to be disturbed. There are times I have to move because of the back problems. I growl back at Malcolm and he shuts up.

• Like 6

I thought of you two many times yesterday. Thanks for the update!  It seems Addie is taking it in her stride. Maybe her leg is a bit extra-sensitive with all the treatment, and like you said, she's tired of people fussing with it. It sounds like she's receiving excellent care and I'm glad the techs are treating her so kindly. I'm glad she's eating and sleeping well - always important, especially when one is having treatments. Sending continued healing thoughts your way... :)

• Like 1

Such good news Whits! No burn ....a leg rash from shaving. All of us gals know all about that! :cry:

She looks so happy and healthy.  Way to go Addie!

• Like 5

Aww, razor burn!  As TL said, we can all relate! :D  Addie does look very good and happy. You'd think she spent the week frolicking in the park and dining at McD's. Love the car seat.

P.S. I use pure coconut oil for razor burn, but unlike Addie, I wouldn't lick it off! :D

Edited by Autumn & Lola
  • Like 2

Awe, poor Addie had razor burn. I am glad she is doing so well. She looks awesome. You could not tell she's had a week of radiation. She is so beautiful.

• Like 2

On 7/7/2016 at 5:50 PM, _whits_ said:

Last night she kicked me in her sleep and I gently reached over to move her leg. She woke up with a start, growling, which she's never done. So she's either in pain or just bloody tired of people touching that leg. 

Consider yourself lucky that it's only happening now, most likely due to her being uncomfortable.  Maisie will let out a howl that scares us to death if either me or my husband disturb her in the slightest way while she is sleeping.  She can be such a little grouch at times.

I am happy to hear that Addie is tolerating her treatments so well after a whole week and hopefully a growl at night, after your moving her leg, is the most you'll have to contend with going forward.  

Addie, Maisie here.....I have to say that after going through a whole week of treatments you look absolutely marvelous.......remember, it's not how you feel, it's how you look and you look amazing girlfriend.  :thumbsup:

Keep up the great work Addie!

• Like 3

It's been a blissfully relaxing weekend without any trips to the doctors. I'm trying to draw a line in Addie's life between patient and pup, so when we're not at the doctor I'm not doing anything to remind her of her leg. She's a happy-go-lucky pup except for when she's sitting in that waiting room. 

If Addie was like some of your Cairns, she never would have forced her way on to my bed because I tend to move around a lot. As does Addie. We start on opposite sides of the bed and inevitably end up sleeping with her little Cairn butt against my lower back. 

So far (except for the razor burn) I haven't seen any ill effects from the radiation. She's sleepy when she gets home, but that's at least 50% our poor sleeping habits lately and naps are a great way to start the day over after stressful mornings at doctors. 

Her oncologist said I could look into pure aloe vera (no alcohol) for the inevitable radiation burn, so I'm bringing two brands to the office on Tuesday for his approval. I'd get an aloe plant, but I kill them. Seriously, why can't plants tell me when they're thirsty or full or hot? I either drown or dehydrate them to death. 

• Like 2