CairnTalk

Another Unknown Growth

_whits_

Thanks for the update, Whits. I am glad Addie is making new friends!  Strange, though, that she's seemingly gone off the cats - "for reasons that would only make sense to a Cairn" seems to sum it up! :)

• Like 2

After 4 days with the cone and the entederm, I didn't notice much of an improvement in Addie's wound and she started getting dry scaly spots on other parts of her leg. Not wanting another $100+ vet visit what with Addie's insurance maxed out this year, I called Doctor Grandpa (DVM) for a phone consult (figure I'll save the $$ for any possible serious ailments). 

Per his suggestion, she's got Bacitracin (my dad thinks the steroid in the entederm cream could be slowing healing) on herfoot. Then non-stick gauze held in place with regular rolled gauze, topped off with self-adhesive bandage. Human skin has shown to heal better in a moist environment, so hopefully this will improve things.

I'll see how it looks in 3 days and then if it isn't doing any better we'll head to the vet again. 

Poor girl I just want her to healed   . The post-radiation period has definitely been the hardest part on her. I feel so bad that she's so frustrated and limited in activity. 

image.jpeg

image.jpeg

"as far as i am concerned cairns are the original spirit from which all terriers spring, and all terriers are cairns very deep down inside." pkcrossley

Aah, Addie must be getting so fed up.  Do hope this different cream will help along with the wrapping and her skin soon heals.

Edited by josie&holly
  • Like 4

www.cairnterriertalk.co.uk

It took less than 24 hours before we made it to bandage #3. Partly because I am not a professional and partly because Addie is a stubborn and tenacious little Cairn. She's a master contortionist now, tearing these things off while wearing a cone. So far bandage #3 has stayed on for almost 24 hours, so either I'm getting better or Addie's giving up. I'll look at the wound tomorrow and if it doesn't look demonstrably better, I'm taking her to her vet. 

Think I figured out the reason she's gone off the cats: because the thrill of looking at them through a window is nothing compared to the thrill of being in their home. Ever since both cat parents have let her into their apartments to meet the cats, Addie's stopped interacting with them though their closed windows. 

But today the windows were open on the Bahraini cats' apartment, and Addie stuck her nose up and could smell and nuzzle them through the screen and she was so excited she started whimpering. Then the mom let Addie into the apartment and Addie was so happy she could barely contain herself. She was still VERY respectful of their space and let them approach her while she stood still, but she spent the whole time whimpering in joy with her tail wagging 100mph. Addie and the black & white cat were nuzzling and purring and sniffing and wagging. The calico cat kept her distance but stared in amazement. Addie did slowly approach the calico cat, but when the cat looked obviously scared, Addie simply walked away. 

I have NO idea how my Addie can have such poor (albeit incredibly friendly) social skills with dogs but seemingly know exactly how to approach a cat respectfully. I've spent ages trying to teach her to sniff butts instead of lunge at faces with dogs, but she instinctively knows exactly what to do around an animal she's barely had any interactions with. Now if only she'd stop ignoring Mufasa every time she walks by his apartment, because the pathetic looks he gives me as she ignores his valiant efforts to entertain her are breaking my heart. And if only I wasn't so terribly allergic to cats maybe I could enjoy the interactions too. 

• Like 5

"as far as i am concerned cairns are the original spirit from which all terriers spring, and all terriers are cairns very deep down inside." pkcrossley

Ha that sounds like really hard work. Rylee is not respectful to the cats on my property(it came with cats). He chases them and then goes and eats dead stuff that makes him reek(toads,lizards, and snakes). On the other hand I thinks it smart that you take Addie to the vet if her leg doesn't start getting much better. 

• Like 1

Your tales of Addie and the cats amaze me.  Buffy hates cats more than anything in the world, even though she has never had any interaction with them.  The fact that Addie is so respectful and friendly is truly astonishing!

• Like 1

We're on bandage #5 within approximately 48 hours and now Addie's sore is a small puncture wound from her efforts ripping off bandage #4 while I left the apartment for a doctor's appointment. 

I called the vet and the soonest she can get in is Wednesday. My goodness, she left her foot alone through 3+ months of diagnosis and treatment and has decided in the final stage of recovery to extend her misery as long as possible. 

Have we discussed how stubborn Cairns are recently? 

For your entertainment, here is Addie's new sleep position and here is her staring at a wall for reasons only she would understand. 

image.jpeg

image.jpeg

• Like 3

Poor Addie - making things worse - she is probably fed up of all this messing about, however, her leg may well be itching or irritating her so that is why the bandage gets pulled off?

Though it was not a serious thing, when Ivy had her front dew claw removed that had been left  [from when breeder had vet come and do the litters] and had to have her bandage changed every day for over a week after she pulled the stitches out she never bothered with it, but then when it was every other day she would chew at it.  And yes, the inflatable collar was no obstacle.  They seem to be such contrary creatures these Cairns!

• Like 1

I think Addie is giving herself a time out for pulling off her bandages! Poor girl, I feel sorry for her....you also Whitney. So stressful.

Edited by Terrier lover
  • Like 3

Until one has loved an animal, a part of  one's soul remains unawakened.  - Anatole France

Adventures with Sam &Rosie

I know the inflatable collar is somewhat more acceptable than the classic cone, but I had to switch to the latter when Gus's eye was healing. Cairns are very adept at getting paw to eye or mouth to paw, but it was impossible with the cone. Poor Addie and poor you!

• Like 1

Addie went to her regular veterinarian today. She brought in her colleague who used to work with Addie's oncologist. They both, after looking at the wound and a looking at a sample taken from the wound under a microscope, concluded that it's not actually a sore from the snow boot Addie was wearing to protect her paw. It's actually a late-appearing radiation burn. The second doctor said it doesn't look as bad as most radiation burns he's seen, and that it isn't unusual for a burn to appear, even this long after the other burns have healed. 

I have been told to continue with the cone, the bacitracin antibiotic ointment, bandaging, and to add an oral antibiotic (Simplicef) for 14 days. They reassured me that it's not as bad as I seem to think it is, and that it's not unusual, and that it just takes a very long time sometimes for radiation burns to finally clear up. 

With it being more than 4 months since I discovered Addie's tumor, I am just ready for my sweet girl to be able to be a dog and get the exercise she so desperately wants, but we have to wait a little longer. 

image.jpeg

image.jpeg

• Like 5

very stressful for you both, but i hope it helps to know that it is not unexpected and all part of the healing process. hope addie will be more comfortable very soon!

• Like 1

You all have been so supportive, I can't properly thank you for how much it has helped. 

And on the plus side, I've learned how to apply an Addie-proof bandage at this point! We're now only replacing bandages per doctor's orders (every 2-3 days) instead of multiple times a day. 

• Like 4

Way to go with the bandaging!  I'd be very curious to know how any bandage can be Cairn-proof, but I'll take your word for it.  ;)

It's a relief to know that Addie's situation is not unusual or cause for worry.  We're all hoping the burn heals quickly and Addie can be Addie again.

• Like 2

Whitney I would search Addie's pockets... I swear she has a book on how to untie bandages and blow up cones of shame.  :P

Glad you went to the vet and have new methods  on how to get that burn healed.  You are a wonderful mum. Big hugs.

• Like 2

Until one has loved an animal, a part of  one's soul remains unawakened.  - Anatole France

Adventures with Sam &Rosie

Hang in there, sweet Addie.  At least we all know what the problem is now. Hopefully you'll be able to get that poor paw healed quickly.

I do empathize with the bandage situation.  Nikki is an expert bandage and boot remover, and a harness Houdini. Even at eleven years old, he still keeps me on my toes, as he always finds ways to make sure his opinion is expressed. XD 

In that one wall staring picture, I wonder if she was just trying to guilt you for putting that collar on her, or if she was listening to something on the other side of the wall? I would not put it past her to manipulate you into feeling sorry for her. XD She's a gorgeous, true-blue cairn.

Edited by Lupinegirl
  • Like 2

I'm glad you found out what it is. That's some small comfort, I imagine. I hope it heals soon. It's been a long, tough road for the both of you and I truly pray it is over soon and you both can resume your normal lives.

I laughed at Addie staring at the wall. My Mandy used to stare at the wall at the back of our closet. No idea why.  Was she communicating with a spirit? Was she sad she couldn't wear all my fancy shoes? :D

• Like 3

Glad that you are hanging in there and you managed a "Addie proof" bandage.  Keep on working through it you will get there. I wish you good luck and that she heals up soon!

• Like 1

This has been such a long haul - when Addie reaches a full recovery, we are going to have one of the BIGGEST on-line Cairn party's ever!!  What should we do?  All take snap shots of our cairns with a special message congratulating Addie for a successful recovery? :D

• Like 7

Elsie, Max, Meeko & Lori

We're getting so close! Cone is still on, antibiotics are still being given, but bandage is off (purposely taken off by mom!), and it's so close to healed I kissed her foot in glee yesterday. 

image.jpeg

• Like 6

So glad that the healing is now going well!  and am sure Addie is glad along with you!

[she will also be happy am sure when you stop grabbing her foot for photographs! :) ]

• Like 3