CairnTalk

Another Unknown Growth

_whits_

You and Addie are doing so well, Whits.  You are already 1/3 finished and it sounds like she is taking it like a trouper. I'm so glad she is maintaining her happy-go-lucky attitude. I hope the both of you can start getting some better sleep, but hey, naps are fantastic. I never realized how great they were until I reached my mid-40s. Oh, and thanks for reminding me to water my cacti.  :D

• Like 1

You guys are doing great! Keep powering through it. I know you really do love Addie. Just keep loving her?

• Like 1

Addie looks really alert and good!  So happy things are rolling along.  Thanks for all the updates!  With you Addie!

• Like 1

Elsie, Max, Meeko & Lori

It's been a frustrating couple of days and I could use some advice. 

Addie's oncologist is great. The front desk staff are very kind and compassionate, and even the ones who work different departments in the hospital recognize Addie. One of the oncology techs (we'll call her tech A) is so lovely and wonderful, and takes the time to console Addie when she picks her up, and always takes a moment to explain how the procedure went and how Addie did and answer any of my questions. She's, in short, fantastic.

But the other oncology tech (we'll call her tech B ) has frankly been rude, disrespectful, and unkind to myself and Addie. Our first interaction is when she happened to be in charge of the front desk one morning due to staffing issues. I asked her to fill out my insurance form for Addie's procedure (it involves putting an official stamp or sticker on the form and writing one sentence to explain the treatment done). She said, "I don't have a stamp and I'm not looking for one and I'm not filling out the doctor's notes." I figured she was having a bad day and let it go. Especially since I didn't deal with her again at all last week.

This week I arrived on Monday for Addie's radiation and the oncology team wasn't at the front desk, so one of the critical care nurses paged oncology. Tech A promptly arrived, scooped Addie up in her arms and walked her back. Tech B arrived about 5 or so minutes later, walked up to me and said in a demanding way, "Where is your dog?" I explained the other tech had already taken her back. She rolled her eyes at me, loudly huffed, and said, "well why did you bother paging me then?" and then walked to the back. While waiting for Addie to be delivered to me, I was reading. Suddenly I hear a "Hellllllllo, your dog is here!" and looked up to see Tech B rolling her eyes at me. It was 15 minutes earlier than I expected and she came down a different hallway, so I couldn't quite figure out why she was so obviously frustrated with me for not immediately noticing her. I also noticed Addie was clearly not as awake as she usually is when I pick her up.

Today, tech B came to get Addie for her treatment. The waiting room is usually crowded and very narrow and Addie is always very very nervous, so Tech A always carries Addie back for treatment. Tech B snatched Addie's lunch right out of my hand. Then she stared at me, waiting for me to do something. I was confused and said, "Well Tech A typically carries her back." So Tech B goes, "She can walk," and literally dragged Addie down the hallway as she was digging her nails into the floor and whimpering. Then less than 30 minutes later I see Tech B dragging a barely coherent Addie down the hallway, watching Addie trip and fall repeatedly over her own feet, lacking any coordination. She obviously didn't give Addie time to wake up. Before I can say anything, she hands my insurance paperwork over to me (which I had asked the front desk to fill out today), and says, "I'm not filling this out because we don't do 'doctor's notes'."

I want to stand up to her and do something to make sure Addie isn't treated in this way. I also think for the $5,000+ dollars I'm spending I deserve to be treated a little better than a demanding customer at a discount buffet. But I'm worried any approach I take will result in Tech B taking it out on Addie. They only have two oncology techs and I'm not entirely sure both are there everyday. I know the veterinary world well enough to know that there are a million little ways Tech B could make Addie less comfortable (being less gentle, sticking her harder with the injection . . . ). I'm afraid speaking out will make things worse for Addie, but I don't like seeing my dog treated so rudely in what is already a stressful situation. 

Edited by _whits_

"as far as i am concerned cairns are the original spirit from which all terriers spring, and all terriers are cairns very deep down inside." pkcrossley

Do not remain quiet. I know this from personal experience. There was a tech at my clinic who was horribly Rude, dragged Rosie  into the back for her nail trims, then came back 20 minutes later claiming how impossible she is, having her nails trimmed and boy did her anal glands stink. She said this all in the front area. I saw red. I called one of the vets when I got home and told her my story. The tech was gone within the month. I love my clinic, and they respect  and treat their customers amazingly well.  What you need to tell the vet and or owner of the clinic that this tech is under no circumstances aloud to handle Addie.  I did that at my clinic and they made sure that this woman never came near my dog until she left the clinic. If you don't Addie will land up being scared and that's the last thing you want. It took Rosie a while to get over her rough handling and I now have a wonderful tech who can trim her Nails etc in minutes, picks Rosie up instead of dragging her, and I have a dog that is way happier. So don't take any garbage from this woman as she isn't fit to work in the clinic. Raise Hell!

• Like 4

Until one has loved an animal, a part of  one's soul remains unawakened.  - Anatole France

Adventures with Sam &Rosie

I agree with Terrier Lover. Raise Hell!! A person who isn't compassionate with animals should not be working at a clinic. When you go to the clinic tell whoever runs the place you will not allow tech B to handle Addie.

• Like 5

That's absolutely unacceptable!  Addie should never be subjected to that cretin again!  Please make your opinion known!

• Like 4

Max and Nelly
signature.jpg.1a2f02ae93418630654caf879c6d4783.jpg

My blood started boiling as I read your post, Whitney.  Absolutely, positively do NOT let this go.  Insist on speaking to the manager of the clinic or one of the oncologists (either in person or by phone) and tell them about this.  My guess is that your complaint will not be the first they have heard.  In addition to Tech B's attitude problem, poor little Addie should not be dragged along while still partially under anesthesia.  She could easily be injured.  Tech B's actions and attitude are not only rude but downright dangerous.

• Like 6

Do you have a cell phone? Does it do video or audio recording? If so, have it on when you enter the clinic and if you encounter Tech B, keep it on. Keep it on when you expect her to return with Addie. If you get on the recording what you have been dealing with then take that recording to your vet and let him deal with it.

If that doesn't work, there is the Marine Corps way of dealing with this. That would be a discussion for a private message though.

• Like 5

Sassy Jan 22, 2005

AM. CH. THARRBARR LITE MY FIRE ZOMERHOF

I am so sorry this has happened to Addie, and to you! I was angry up to the point in your post about Addie falling and stumbling over her own feet. At that point I was furious. I agree with everyone above. This is completely unacceptable and should be reported, along with the order that this tech may no longer handle Addie. Let them figure out their staffing issue and call in an alternative tech if need be. I would also mention how naturally this treatment is very stressful on you and you don't need the added stress of a rude and harsh tech (and worrying what to do about the situation) when you need to focus on Addie and her healing. 

• Like 3

this is outrageous. i've been in these centers and, 1, i've never seen anything close to it, and 2, the demeanor of the techs is so important for the dogs and their families in these situations. do you never see anybody who is in charge? during redmon's radiation, i had a consultation with the doctor (not the techs) at least once a week. it is important that they know the way this tech is treating you and addie. i can't imagine they have not already heard of it from other patients. 

i would assume that during your intake they gave you numbers (perhaps of your radiologist) to call if you have any questions. i certainly think you can call those numbers and explain both the way you are being treated and also your concerns about retaliation if the tech learns that you are telling on her.

i completely understand your concern that the tech will treat addie even more poorly if you stand up to her. i personally cannot understand how the clinic works if Tech B really has no supervision that you can see. in any event, she does not do the radiation, and the radiation is what counts. it would be best if addie trusts everybody there and has no concerns about her visits, Tech B is clearly raising addie's anxiety, which is a legitimate issue to raise with supervisors or the radiologist.

i'm so sorry to hear about this. it is extremely unusual, since these centers normally make a point of hiring techs and office staff with the best demeanors. how they came up with tech B is a mystery. she sounds like a temporary assignment or at least somebody new. if you think you can tough it out and report her after addie's protocol is complete, it might alleviate your worries about her taking any criticism out on addie. but if you just can't tough it out, tell your radiologist or the office manager that this tech is having a very deleterious effect on your family's experience and is raising addie's anxiety. 

Edited by pkcrossley
  • Like 4

Thanks for all of the advice and support. I was able to get in touch with Addie's oncologist this evening via email (I didn't explain any details) and he's going to call me tomorrow so I can expres my concerns. 

• Like 5

"as far as i am concerned cairns are the original spirit from which all terriers spring, and all terriers are cairns very deep down inside." pkcrossley

Outraged here. This is not just a "customer service"issue but a "patient care" issue. That tech is treating your dog in a way that could further injure her. It is dog abuse.

I really do not understand why that tech has a job. 

Hope you get this resolved quickly so you and Addie can focus on her health.

Edited by Kathryn
  • Like 4

This was the first post I checked today because I was still angry when I went to bed last night, thinking of you and Addie.  I'm very happy to hear you managed to contact the oncologist.  Please let us know how it goes when you talk to him.

• Like 2

Yep, definitely follow up with the oncologist.  Not sure what type of vet hospital you're at but if it's a teaching hospital like the one we use for Packy, it might be hard to determine who's actually in charge.  The oncologist for Addie would be your first stop.  There's no excuse for being rude and deliberately cruel to Addie.

In the meantime, could you schedule your appointments when you know the Good Tech will be there?  Can't hurt to ask for her specifically.

By the way, glad Addie is doing so well!

• Like 1
Jandy and my Cairns, Kirby & Phinney 

After emailing the oncologist, he asked his office manager to come into the clinic early today (her hours start later than our very early treatment time) to speak with me. 

I said I wasn't comfortable with Tech B being involved with Addie's treatment and explained to the manager my experiences, emphasizing Tech B's treatment of Addie this week.

She asked if the problems were only this week. I said that she's been rude and dismissive of me for 3 weeks now but this week was the first time I'd seen her interact with Addie. But that Addie went from being nervous about being here to acting terrified, and that Addie's reaction was waaaaaay different with Tech B than anyone else at the clinic. 

She asked me to explain the rude and dismissive stuff. I said, honestly, it was the least of my concerns because all I cared about was that Addie was being treated poorly and getting terrified. 

She said I'm "certainly not the first person to bring up Tech B's lack of people skills" but it is the first time anyone has mentioned her being rough with a dog, which she seemed genuinely shocked about. 

Manager said she'd talk to Tech B, and that Tech A would be dealing with Addie and I exclusively from now on. 

I mentioned my fear of retaliation and she said there's 3 people with the dogs at all times so Addie wouldn't ever be unsupervised with Tech B. 

She apologized profusely and said she'd be addressing things immediately. 

The oncologist called a few minutes ago and our conversation was very similar, he was very apologetic, said he was very concerned and disappointed with Tech B, and said he'd be working with the manager to address the situation. He expressed his appreciation that I brought it to his attention.

To both the manager and oncologist I also emphasized that Tech A is one of the best techs I've ever encountered and my experience outside of Tech B has been excellent. I wanted to make sure they realized I wasn't a "complainer" since they don't have any history of dealing with Addie and I beyond a handful of conversations over less than a month. 

Overall, I'm very glad I brought this up and happy so far with their response. Tech A was already assigned to Addie today and Addie had a much more pleasant experience once she saw Tech A, (poor girl was practically vibrating the whole clinic with shaking until that point). Addie came back to me much more awake and cheerful. I am exhausted from the stress (I slept a fitful two hours last night) but once again forever and overwhelmingly grateful for Cairn Talk and the amazing support system I've found here. 

Addie and I are off to take a nap. 

• Like 8

Good for your Whits! Best to speak out loud not only for your Addie but all the other animals that are being miss handled by this person. If we dont speak up for the care of our animals they are at the mercy of people that dont care. Big hugs to you and Addie. It sounds like the matter has been taken care of.

• Like 1

Until one has loved an animal, a part of  one's soul remains unawakened.  - Anatole France

Adventures with Sam &Rosie

I am glad that you took care of it, and you don't have to deal with tech b anymore. Sleep well both of you.

• Like 1

I'm so glad you it has been taken care of, Whits. Now you can go back to taking care of Addie and yourself and not worry quite so much. Hope you get some SLEEP! :)

• Like 1

that's well handled on your part and on the clinic's part. i'm glad they did more than give you soothing talk, they seem to have acted on your concerns. tech B is still a mystery to me. if she has been rude to patients before (with or without being rough with the dogs), why on earth is she working there? it could be that you have come in at some kind of anomalous or difficult time for her. no excuse, everybody who is bringing their dog their is having a difficult time of their own, by definition. aggravation from the staff and anything at all that makes the experience more difficult for the dog is intolerable. 

• Like 2

Good job, Whits.  Sounds like you expressed your concerns clearly and concisely to the right people and have achieved a good result.  (Me?  I probably would have gone ballistic on Tech B and been hauled off  in handcuffs.:P)  It's a huge relief to all of us that Addie will be cared for properly.

I share pk's puzzlement about Tech B.  It doesn't matter if she was having a bad day/month/year; you are a customer, Addie is a patient, and both of you deserve to be treated with respect.  Tech B should see how it feels from the other side of the reception desk.

• Like 2

7 minutes ago, hheldorfer said:

Me?  I probably would have gone ballistic on Tech B and been hauled off  in handcuffs.:P

That is the Marine Corps way of handling things that I alluded to. Black eyes, bloody nose, bumps and bruises all around!!! :mad:

• Like 4

Sassy Jan 22, 2005

AM. CH. THARRBARR LITE MY FIRE ZOMERHOF

I am so glad that whits didn't have to resort to the Marine Corps way of handling problems. What would Addie do while her mom was spending the night in jail?

• Like 3