CairnTalk

Another Unknown Growth

_whits_

Poor little Addie!  I'm so sorry, Whitney. You've been through so much with your little girl the past couple months. What a sucky summer!  I truly hope she gets some relief very soon.  Then she'll get back to her happy-go-lucky self.

• Like 2

Aw, Addie.  Hang in there, little girl, and it will get better soon.  Packy, Kirby and I are thinking of you...

• Like 1
Jandy and my Cairns, Kirby & Phinney 

My eyes got a bit wet when I read about Addie and Mufasa.  You made Addie's day, allowing her to meet Mufasa up close and personal.  Sometimes the best therapy is a friend.  :)

• Like 3

Addie gave me a bit of a scare late last night, due to how labored her breathing was and how fast her heart was beating. I sent an email to her oncologist and they called me this morning to have her come in. 

They've advised me to halve her dose of prednisone as that appears to be the likely culprit for the breathing and heart side effects. 

Due to the fact that Addie has now lost most of two paw pads (one being the largest on her foot), the oncologist also bandaged her foot and leg. He wants me to come in every 3 days to have the bandage changed. 

It's a relief for me to have her foot and leg have some protection, and Addie seems to be experiencing less discomfort. The new painkiller seems to be working MUCH better than the old one, but with her injury I can't imagine it's ever truly comfortable. Despite the oncologist telling me that air was the best thing for it, I was honestly dubious, since a moist environment is considered the best environment for human radiation burns. More than anything, with missing and peeling paw pads I was terrified something from the ground was going to injure her and add to her injuries. 

Here's Addie modeling her pink bandage with purple hearts. And here's her with Autumn (calico cat), Bella (black and white cat), and Mufasa (the cat on his own). Autumn would like a chance to remove Addie's eyeball, but Bella seems to want to be friends. Addie was super excited to see Mufasa again but super disappointed she wasn't granted entrance, so spent most of her visit trying to figure out how to dig her way under the apartment to get in. 

13876329_10100198088946168_7264757455863339129_n.jpg

13879226_10100198088906248_3755887847884800673_n.jpg

13934917_10100198088891278_6097881866158143815_n.jpg

• Like 5

"as far as i am concerned cairns are the original spirit from which all terriers spring, and all terriers are cairns very deep down inside." pkcrossley

You are looking a lot brighter today Addie! Glad the meds and the bandages are giving her some relief!

• Like 1

Until one has loved an animal, a part of  one's soul remains unawakened.  - Anatole France

Adventures with Sam &Rosie

makes sense about the prednisone. it is a very powerful med, and in a way any excuse for cutting the dose is usually a good one. it convinces you that you are cured of anything, makes it a bit hard to know what is really going on. she might show slightly decreased appetite and seem slightly less energetic, but i bet that once she starts to improve you'll be surprised at how fast she will get better.

• Like 2

That's great news, Whitney!  The fact that Addie is more relaxed and comfortable means everything.  You are doing a splendid job of caring for her.

I have been on prednisone too and it had the same (rapid heartbeat) effect on me.  Sure makes you feel like Superwoman though.

• Like 1

Addie looks more relaxed and seems to enjoy eyeing the cats!  Glad the medication reduced and that you got foot bandaged which am sure will make her more comfortable.

www.cairnterriertalk.co.uk

I'm so glad Addie has some measure of comfort now from the meds and that she gets such a lift from her kitty-friends!  Hey, what's a (not so) little allergic reaction for Mom, huh? ;)  I'm glad the paw is bandaged as well. I was worried about infection. I have a feeling Addie just turned a corner. I'll bet in a few days you'll start to see a marked improvement in her overall health and spirits.

• Like 1

Addie is still lethargic and I'm sure still experiencing at least some discomfort, but she is back to being my sunshine girl. 

A combination of the new painkiller, a lower prednisone dose, the bandage, and lots of interactions with her kitties has done wonders for her. I imagine not wearing the cone helps too, since the bandage eliminated the need for it. Her breathing isn't 100% normal, but it's markedly less labored. She has a little pep in her step, even if most of the weight is being put on 3 legs. She's finally eating again, and begging for my food too. Mostly, she's got her sunshiny attitude and Cairn spirit back. She's eager to guard the windows (between naps at least) and wants to go on longer (although still short) walks. And goodness me she loves those cats. 

Tonight the neighbor of the Bahraini cats asked if we wanted to come in to say hi. Addie's tail was wagging a hundred miles a minute but she sat very still on my lap and let the cats come to her (smart move for a dog who is still working on greeting other dogs with respectful butt sniffs instead of excited lunges). The calico cat perched on a windowsill overlooking my shoulder so she could witness the action but not have to get too involved. The black and white cat very slowly approached Addie and then they started bumping noses gently. The whole time Addie's tail was wagging super fast but she was staying super still. She just stared in awe at both cats. I let go of her body but held on to her leash, and she got off my lap but stayed right next to me and totally still. It's like she knew the cats wouldn't appreciate any sudden movements. She did not want to leave and I had to carry her out cause the little sticker tried to dig in her paws (including the injured one) to stay. She's now napping from all the excitement.

The oncologist indicated that the radiation burn will continue to get worse for 10-14 days after the end of radiation (we're at day 8 now), the paw pads will probably keep getting worse for a few extra days, and then healing will slowly begin. It should be about a month after her last day of radiation until the majority of the burns heal, and her hair on that leg will grow back much later, likely a different color, or perhaps not grow at all. It apparently could take months for her paw pads to grow back, so I might need to have her wear some protection. But unfortunately - despite Addie's wonderful attitude - we're still in the symptoms getting worse phase of things. However, it is MUCH easier to bear now that I know Addie isn't struggling quite so much. 

• Like 5

"as far as i am concerned cairns are the original spirit from which all terriers spring, and all terriers are cairns very deep down inside." pkcrossley

Thank goodness a bit of good news on Addie coming back to being Addie! Yippee! I love that she digs the cats. Are you on a antihistamine? Don't you start having breathing problems...it's a long flight from my home :lol: town to yours.

• Like 1

Until one has loved an animal, a part of  one's soul remains unawakened.  - Anatole France

This is the best news I have heard today!  It's fantastic that Addie is perking up and she's wagging that tail again.  I am totally in awe of her interaction with the cats.  Buffy would have attacked them in an instant.:evil:  How great is it that Addie got to meet them?  

Oh, Whitney, what a relief to see that spark back in Addie's eyes and the wags back in her tail!

• Like 2

Great news tempered with the healing process. Hopefully it is uneventful and just goes quickly and comfortably. We need Addie out there keeping the squirrel and rabbit population in check.

• Like 3

Sassy Jan 22, 2005

AM. CH. THARRBARR LITE MY FIRE ZOMERHOF

After three bright and cheery days with Addie, she tore off her bandage tonight. 

On the plus side, her leg/foot looks waaaaaaaay better than I thought it would; it's bald but there is no redness, and her paw pads haven't gotten any worse since I last saw them. She went potty tonight without limping, so it's apparently not too sore. She happily greeted one of her kitties and trotted home and around the apartment with seemingly no pain.

On the downside, she had to get the cone back on, only this time I switched to a different one because she figured out how to lick her foot in the other one. She's been giving me death glares since it got put on. Also, her foot stinks. Like smells really bad. No way to describe it but I won't soon forget it, especially with that smelly foot on my bed tonight. 

She's due for a new bandage on Monday so I'm going to try to wait it out without one for Sunday, depending on how her foot looks once it has aired out tomorrow, and depending on her pain levels. I'm hoping maybe having some unexpected fresh air on the foot will be good for healing, although I do think the bandage greatly improved the burn the past few days. 

Doesn't my Addie look like an angry little flower now?

image.jpeg

• Like 3

"Hey Mom, you put this swimming ring on me  - so why am I not swimming?"

I am SO glad to hear that Addie is steadily improving and acting more like her old self!!  How are *you* after all the cat interaction?

• Like 3

Oh Addie you are not supposed to pull bandages off!  She looks very displeased with the cone!  Hope you cope alright until Monday.

• Like 1

www.cairnterriertalk.co.uk

Addie's look says it all.  She's definitely giving you the stink eye.

I'm surprised she managed to tear the bandage off.  It looked fairly snug and secure in the pic.  I suppose we should never underestimate our Cairns when it comes to sheer determination.

Hang in there, Whitney!

• Like 1

If Addie has the energy to give you that look and to tear off her bandages and to walk on all four legs  then I'd say she's doing pretty good! Keep it up Addie.

• Like 2

...##**#*%**%**:mad:

definately giving you the stink eye! I wonder just for today if a cotton kids sock would keep out any dirt, but let the air in while going potty or for a walk?

• Like 1

Really good news that she has the energy and Cairny-ness coming back, enough to give you 'the look.' Anyone who shares their life with a terrier knows that look! About her stinky foot, could there be something staph-related going on? Staph can smell pretty gnarly....

• Like 1

52 minutes ago, Cara L said:

About her stinky foot, could there be something staph-related going on? Staph can smell pretty gnarly....

Not to be gross, but I think the smell is the result of dead hair and skin that fell off but was stuck in a moist bandage. 

She is, however, on a wide-spectrum antibiotic as a preventative measure and we go in tomorrow for a re-check. It'll be good to have professional eyes on it. 

So far her leg/foot still still looks way better than I thought it would. I assumed the longer it was exposed to air it would start drying up and getting inflamed, but that hasn't been the case. Only one tiny spot of raw skin (about half the size of an eraser at the end of a pencil), the rest is just bald and a bit scaly and not even the slightest bit red. She's walking on it without limping, although she is bearing most of her weight on the injured foot's front paw pads as the main one is mostly gone. I'm frankly shocked she's not limping at all, let alone the fact that she is trying to stubbornly dig her feet in to clamber over wood chips despite my objections.

It was very securely fastened at the top the bandage, but while I thought the stinker was napping she was slowly pulling the top part off. Which had to hurt cause it was taped to her hair! Once she got the top torn off, the rest was easy as it was a special burn bandage with a plastic-like (but very breathable) material (so it doesn't stick to the skin) which meant it just slid right off. Thankfully I noticed before she starting licking and chewing her leg. 

As for myself and the cats, I've been taking maximum doses on Benadryl on top of my regular 3 different allergy meds (per testing I'm basically allergic to about 70% of the outdoors) and taking lots of showers. I was never very fond of cats (they were always quite vicious to me the many summers I worked at my dad's vet clinic), but these three cats have been so lovely to Addie I'm really regretting how terribly allergic I am to them. When I got allergy tested, my cat allergy was literally off the measurement scale. 

I'm crossing my fingers and knocking on wood, but I think Addie might have turned a corner and is now on the healing trajectory. 

Have I mentioned lately how much I appreciate all of you on Cairn Talk for your support, advice, and commiseration?

• Like 9

Addie's day without a bandage was accident and injury free. 

We went to the oncologist for a new bandage today. The tech thinks she will likely continue to lose hair on her leg. But in awesome news, the tech is fairly certain that - by the way her leg looks now compared to last week - it will not break into an open wound(s) anymore. She's pretty optimistic that Addie is officially in the healing stage of the radiation burn. We see the actual oncologist for a post-radiation follow-up on Thursday so we'll see what her leg/foot looks like then and what he has to say about it.

Onwards and upwards! This long summer of medical treatment is slowly but surely coming to a close. 

image.jpeg

• Like 8

That's great news!  We're all cheering for you and Addie to reach the finish line.:)

By the way, please bring that poor girl some breakfast in bed, would you?

• Like 3