CairnTalk

Holly is in Hospital

josie&holly

So glad things are looking up. I come here every night just to check on Holly!

Taffy, Reuben, Annie, Moondoggie, Lexie, Walter, Joey, Tonto, Earl, Beebo, Fuzz, Mr Bean.  And a whole bunch of cats.

Holly is still eating well, but her poop is still very loose. However the plus side is that she is only going twice a day now whereas at beginning of week it was about five times a day!

She has been very restless today, could not settle, think she is fed up with not having walks.

www.cairnterriertalk.co.uk

This is good news, Josie.  Sounds like things are slowly but surely getting back to normal.  Her restlessness is understandable.  Poor thing wants to get out and chase critters again. :)

We went back to the Veterinary Hospital this morning for check up. The main vet there, Andrew Robinson, saw us and watched Holly walk, and then examined her thoroughly. Felt that there was some improvement and so can just give her the same amount steroids every orher day for next two weeks, and then reduce the amount.

He could not say how much recovery she will have, she may always now have a limp but she may recover completely, it is hard to say in this situation.

I can take her a short gentle walk each day now. We talked about hydrotherapy and he felt that may well help and would not harm her. So am going to look into that.

I do not need to go back there but he would like to hear how she is in a couple of weeks.

He was not sure whether the loose poo was connected with her problem or the steroid, but if still the case next week to have another wors with local vet.

• Like 1

That's good news Holly, I was thinking that the loose stools could be due to the steroids and now that she'll be going to every other day, I'm hoping that they will clear up and become regular.  Steroids are so strong and toxic and have been known to cause excessive urination so maybe they are causing the loose stools.  Anyway, I'm so glad to hear that she's getting better and eating like a little horse..;) 

that is a good report for this disease. i suspect that holly's attitude will be a great advantage to her. physical therapy is a proven method for optimal outcome. she is already so improved, this is great. you are doing a wonderful job.

Thanks again for continuing to keep us updated. Holly and you are being very strong and brave. I am looking forward to hearing more about her improvement. 

"as far as i am concerned cairns are the original spirit from which all terriers spring, and all terriers are cairns very deep down inside." pkcrossley

Continue to think of you little Holly.  Mom is taking real good care of you - you better give her some loves. :hug:

Elsie, Max, Meeko & Lori

Holly has enjoyed getting her five minute walk morning and afternoon but this afternoon she wanted to keep going! We did not though. And now after her dinner she had a few minutes play with Teddy and Snake, then she discovered the stag bar so is having a good chomp on that! Pleased as she has had no interest in toys up till now.

Am investigating hydrotherapy now but as she is still having loose motions (but nothing like they were and is now regular again) not sure when she could start. And being a Cairn and awkward she may not like it either! So will have to see.

Meant to say, since being back home she has been much more affectionate and loved some fuss.

Edited by josie&holly
  • Like 2

Just read the thread. Glad to hear good news. She has you to take good care of her. Wishing Holly the best.

Glad for the continued improvement. Sending warm wishes.

Taffy, Reuben, Annie, Moondoggie, Lexie, Walter, Joey, Tonto, Earl, Beebo, Fuzz, Mr Bean.  And a whole bunch of cats.

Have booked an appointment for next Friday for hydrotherapy. A friend is taking me for first one as she knows whereabouts it is and I do not know area. If Holly likes it, then will have to learn how to get there myself!!

Really strange, this afternoon I went to to my hairdresser. She has an otterhound so we tend to talk about dogs! I was telling her about Holly and she suddenly said that is what my brother's dog has! Her brother has a border collie and about six weeks ago he was playing with football in garden and suddenly collapsed with a yelp and could not move his back legs at all. So the vet where they live sent him to a Vet Hospital over hundred miles away (I thought 46 miles away was bad) and they diagnosed this FCE. He remained there for four days and since being home has recovered a bit but still drags his back legs. He is having hydrotherapy, acupuncture and deep heat massage. Obviously he is much worse than Holly.

But never having heard of it before seems odd now to have heard of it in another dog.

It's good to hear that Holly continues to improve, thanks to your persistence and attention, Josie. 

I'm very interested to hear how she responds to hydrotherapy.  My little boy, Ziggy, has a deformed front leg.  It doesn't keep him from running and playing but I can sometimes tell the leg is painful.  The only place he seems 100% normal is in the water, swimming.  You should see the joy on his face!   It is excellent excercise for dogs (or their owners) because it doesn't put as much strain on the joints. 

I have read thise links preciously Bradl but thanks for showing them. The strange thing is that everything I read says that the dog is usually playing, leaping about or similar and yelps when the FCE happens. Holly was asleep and just got up and started limping so cannot understand how hers happened!

Hoping the hydrotherapy is worthwhile.

I think that is what happened to my first dog, Annie.  One day all of a sudden one morning we got up and I noticed she could not walk and one of her hind legs was just hanging there like a piece of meat, completely flaccid.  So for Annie too it came out of the blue. 

She wasn't able to pee or poop by herself.  She was old, and we made the decision to put her down.

Well been to own vet this morning, got weight checked and has put on a kilo, now 7.2 so still needs to go up more. More steroid tablets so alright for while.

Met a handsome wheaton Cairn in the vets, Holly sat next to him whilst we waited. Fiona the vet was tickled because she does not see many Cairns so having two together was good.

Have booked hydrotherapy for Holly on Friday morning so will see how it goes, she may well hate it!

• Like 3