CairnTalk

Holly is in Hospital

josie&holly

I keep checking here and am glad she is showing improvement. It is so tense when our pups are ill, isn't it? So do glad to hear she is eating...

• Like 2

The Vet checked her this morning and she is staying on same level of steroids as her reflexes are still not right, she will walk a bit then suddenly drag her leg. Vet was pleased she was eating and felt the diarrhoea would cease, bu it has not (my lawn has been well manured!).

So she as kept her also on the antibiotics and the Zantac syrup.

Hoping the runs do stop soon.

www.cairnterriertalk.co.uk

Well this morning she was not so bad, and the Vet wants to see how eating again her normal food settles her. I was giving her moist food as someone thought that was better for her, but today have gone back to kibble with just a tiny bit of the moist to put the tablets in! So will see how that goes. Also am giving her arrowroot biscuits as a have been told that can help.

My neighbour had someone come to replace a window unit this morning and she wanted out to bark at the men! So she is obviously feeling livelier and better in herself.

Edited by josie&holly
  • Like 1

I suddenly remembered that in the top cupboard in my kitchen I had stashed away something I bought ages ago.  Aldi, a low price supermarket in UK, has special offer weeks and last year they did American stuff including cans of Libbys Pure Pumpkin. Have never normally seen in on sale in UK. I bought one after reading about it on here and then when had kitchen done just put it in a high cupboard and then forgot about it.  But seeing someones suggestion on here provoked me so had to look to see if still had it and still OK date wise.  Found it, gave her a spoonful with breakfast and have also given her some with her dinner.  Holly has just been out and though poop still very soft it is not runny!  So thank you for the reminder and suggestion!  Hoping it continues to help.

it is a large can so hope that this is OK, have put half in a container and popped it in freezer to keep for a future occasion?  The rest is in another container in fridge.  Can you keep it like that please?  

• Like 1

We put our canned pumpkin in a plastic container and keep it in the fridge for several days.  I don't think it should be a problem as long as it is kept refrigerated.  I have never frozen it but I doubt that there is anything wrong with doing so.

Frozen pumpkin is one of Roux's favorite snacks! Being the garbage gut she is, pumpkin is a regular part of her diet. I use a silicone ice tray so the little cubes are easy to pop out. I also usually have half a can or so in the fridge and never had a problem keeping it a few days.

Glad you found something that helps!

Freezing teaspoon to tablespoon size is a norm here, in ice cube trays.  Some years here (US) finding the canned pumpkin is hard, so 'hiding' some in a cabinet is usual--as is freezing when only the large cans can be found, or on sale. 

You can also freeze dabs on a flat sheet, then dump the lumps into a freezer container.  When defrosted it may seem a bit runny, but it's just the natural water content separating a bit--a stir fixes that.  Some brands have more water content than others--just as long as it says pure pumpkin on the can, then all is good. 

Just don't give her to much...it can also help with constipation.

Until one has loved an animal, a part of  one's soul remains unawakened.  - Anatole France

Adventures with Sam &Rosie

I'm so glad to hear that Holly is home, but sorry to hear that she is still dealing with diarrhea. Like Idaho, I swear by FortiFlora. Addie has a very sensitive stomach and gets into everything so she gets a packet of FortiFlora every day. 

I hope Holly is back and better than ever soon. Give her cuddles from us!

"as far as i am concerned cairns are the original spirit from which all terriers spring, and all terriers are cairns very deep down inside." pkcrossley

Holly is still having loose poop, but not as bad as it was. She is eating well. Have ordered some Fortiflora.

Her front left paw seems to be much better but still drags back leg.

Sounds like Holly is feeling a little better each day....baby steps is good, she's adjusting at her own pace.  Will keep Holly in my thoughts and prayers, I know she is going to back to her old self very soon.....She's being carinish more and more and that's a wonderful sign!

*huge hugs*

• Like 1

Yup.  Like Linda says - baby steps - as long as she keeps improving.  Give her a scratch and a hug for me too.

• Like 1

Elsie, Max, Meeko & Lori

Wonderful news, so happy Holly is recovering. And what a fortunate girl to have such a devoted and caring owner. Keeping you both in my thoughts!

I'm so glad to see that Holly is improving bit by bit each day. I'm sure the chronic diarrhea really knocked her out, so she is slowly building herself back up.  You have really persevered Josie, and I know Holly is very grateful. Once she gets her full strength back, you can work on the leg issue again.

Great to hear Holly is slowly but surely making progress. Pumpkin has become a regular item in Jagger's meals to help control her weight. It takes her at least 5 days to go through the contents of the can which we keep in an airtight glass container in the fridge, without any issues.

Sending positive healing thoughts your way!

Jo, Jagger & Eddie

jagger_julytomarch.jpg

I feel bad that she had to go through all of that.  I'm very happy that she is back with you and that things a slowly getting back to normal.  I wish both of you the best.  I hope she heals well and heals faster.  Best of luck to you and Holly.

Josie, You know how I feel about you and Miss Holly.  God bless you both.  B'Shalom.

Tara

P.S. - You mentioned about Aldi;  They're just taking hold on the East Coast here

across the Pond.  Haven't found one close to visit yet..I think all the ones the radio

keeps advertising are probably closer to Baltimore, MD.  I'm looking forward

to them coming closer. :)

(Baltimore is close but still a substantial drive to go to a grocery store.)

Edited by tlwtheq

Max and Nelly
signature.jpg.1a2f02ae93418630654caf879c6d4783.jpg

it does sound like steroid munchies. it is one of the things steroids should do --pump up the appetite. she should return to a more normal pace once she is off the meds. 

What wonderful news! Thank you for sharing. Please keep us updated - I'm so glad to hear she is healing. Here's to a full recovery. 

"as far as i am concerned cairns are the original spirit from which all terriers spring, and all terriers are cairns very deep down inside." pkcrossley