CairnTalk

Holly is in Hospital

josie&holly

Glad she is home. It sounds like she is slowly recovering. My mother inlaws cocker had the same thing. He was completely paralyzed in his back legs for 6 weeks at the age of 6 yrs. She had to carry him outside to go potty, hold him up and then carry him back inside. It didn't look good, but he regained full use of his back legs, lead a normal life and died at the age of 16 yrs. it's tough to see, but these little guys are amazingly resilient . Sending healing thoughts and love your way.

• Like 2

Until one has loved an animal, a part of  one's soul remains unawakened.  - Anatole France

Adventures with Sam &Rosie

Just wishing she would eat something!  And it is a battle to get her to swallow the steroid tablets! 

www.cairnterriertalk.co.uk

Can you put a little beef gravy on her food to entice her? or perhaps some grated cheese?

Edited by Autumn & Lola

Have tried cheese, gravy, bit of steak, chicken, sardines, salmon as well as kibble with hot water!  She is not eating.

I am having trout fillet for lunch so will see if that interests her.

Have appointment at local vet this afternoon.

Nipped out to Tesco and came back to find she had had diarrhoea again and so had to throw out the old towel she was on and wash that part of kitchen floor!  Had given her the medicine for that too this morning.  So we went outside and sat on bench for a while once I had cleaned her up so she could dry in sun...... 

Poor baby. At least she ate some at the hospital. Maybe fluids are enough to make her feel full right now, or maybe the medicines are making her stomach feel yucky. Do you have a blender? Does she like chicken broth? I'm not sure if eggs or milk would be good for her or if they would bother her tummy even more, but maybe she could stomach a liquid diet? Or is that what you are trying now? I'm sorry you and Holly are having such a rough time. I'm sure she'll remember that you were there for her and she will have an even more precious bond with you when she gets better.

Well my old Beagle went through kidney failure last month due to who knows what....she had no appetite and could not walk.  She spent a week at the vet getting fluids and came home very weak...They suggested Pepcid AC to calm her nausea.  I was able to get pills down her wrapped around small lunch meat ham slices.  She had NO appetite and lost 5 pounds.... finally started eating - the Beneful Chopped Blends got her starting to eat small meals....the Pepcid AC helped with the nausea.... it has taken a month, she is off the Pepcid and eating her normal food but mixed with the Beneful Chopped Blends.  Of course, Pepper wants the Beneful as well so gets to lick the bowl clean.

Good luck with Holly - she sounds like a wonderful little Cairn and deserving of all the love you give her!

Pepper's Mom

This must be exasperating for you, not being able to get her to eat.  It sounds like you have already tried all the yummy stuff everyone has suggested.  What do you think of Lupinegirl's idea of a liquid diet/food put through the blender?  Or maybe try a jar of baby food? 

We went to local vet this afternoon. She was concerned as Holly has lost over a kilo in weight. So she gave her an injection of Zantac(rantidine for stomach acid) and an antibiotic injection in case she has a bit of infection. I also have zantac syrup to give her twice a day from tomorrow morning, and some antibiotic tablets for her from tomorrow afternoon. I was also given a tin of food for digestion, it smells awful but has allsorts in it! However, Holly licked about two teaspoons of it off my fingers! So will see what tomorrow brings as I hope she will eat some more so that I do not have to go back to vet again then.

Looks as ifI could be busy with Hollys medicines plus my tablets!

Also praying that she does not have any more diarhoea.

Then Vet though felt her left front leg was better than last week.

here we are able to get a nutrition paste for convalescent dogs and older dogs whose appetites have declined. it is full of calories as well as vitamins and minerals, and has a strong beefy/chickeny taste. it is very good stuff for tiding over a period of inappetence. i wonder if the tin your vet gave you is the same kind of stuff? ours comes in a tube, i wonder if you might pick up some of that if the vet's potion does not do the trick. keep the hopes up. this takes time.

Hope Holly feels better today. Such a worry when they won't eat.

When they are paralyzed, can they still pee and poop - are the muscles there, I mean?

Taffy, Reuben, Annie, Moondoggie, Lexie, Walter, Joey, Tonto, Earl, Beebo, Fuzz, Mr Bean.  And a whole bunch of cats.

Very stressful no doubt for you and Holly. Hopefully her appetite will come around.

Until one has loved an animal, a part of  one's soul remains unawakened.  - Anatole France

Lindy would lick strained baby food lamb or chicken off of my fingers.  Hopefully, with the tummy meds, etc., the vet gave Holly, she will feel better and start eating, again.

My thoughts and prayers are with you.

Nancy and Brinna

Holly has spent much of today at local Vets. She would not eat anything again this morning and a lot of smelly liquid diarhoea so rang them and the vet wanted her in. So she checked her bloods, kidney and liver functions and electrolytes. Fine apart from the elctrolytes so she was on drip for a few hours as dehydrated. While she was there they tried to gwt her to eat but resorted to giving her small amounts by syringe.

Whilst getting report from Vet when went to pick her up, Holly was standing on floor and sniffing around and found a bit of gravy bo e biscuit the previous dog must have left - and she ate it! So Fiona the vet gave her a whole one and she wolfed that down. When we came back home I gave her another gravy bone biscuit and she enjoyed that. Tried her with some of tinned food, sardines or kibble - no! A short while ago I was washing pots and so gave her another couple of gravy bone biscuits and they got eaten. But she is still not eating anything else. But at least it is something!

Will have to see what she will have in morning as we have to go see vet again......

• Like 1

As you said, at least she is eating something and that is a start! Maybe it's just what her stomach is telling her it wants. Maybe the syringe woke her appetite up a bit? You are taking such wonderful care of her, Josie.

Well, she is still not right.

I took her out in garden for her pee before bed, she then wanted back in. So inside,I take off shoes and coat (raining out) turn round and she has done diarhoea over kitchen floor! So had to wash floor again before coming to bed......

I take care of her as best I can as Holly is my best friend and I love her! I cannot understand how people can abandon or give up a dog when it is not well,when you own one it is your responsibility. They give so much back in return for your love and care!

And very glad have insurance as have now paid out over £2000 on a credit card and so now has to be claimed back.

Edited by josie&holly
  • Like 4

Jock had very severe diahrea about 5 yrs ago. The vet had had him on various antibiotics, and other drugs and nothing worked. She then used Tylosin.

http://www.deerhound.org/Health/Claymore_Articles/Tylosin-ReponsiveDiarrhea2010-08.pdf

Within 24 hrs it all stopped. It has little effect on the liver, which was a real issue with Jock, and ever since I always have a bottle of the capsules on hand . Rosie had a lot of runny poops as a pup and the stuff works great.

I would ask your vet about it.

Edited by Terrier lover
  • Like 1

Oh Miss Holly and Josie.  All my best prayers and hopes are with you.

God bless you and keep your.

Tara and the Wilk Pack   with love  :hug:

Max and Nelly
signature.jpg.1a2f02ae93418630654caf879c6d4783.jpg

Thank-you for keeping us informed.  I hope you can continue finding things that Holly will eat.  It might be in the presentation - in my house anything dropped on the kitchen floor is quickly devoured while some things that are offered from my hands are sometimes sniffed and contemplated before being eaten.  

It is stressful when our canine friends are ill, we change our routines, our sleep patterns, our eating habits.  Please also remember to take care of yourself as well as Holly.

• Like 1

Who rescued whom?