CairnTalk

Holly is in Hospital

josie&holly

How did I miss so many updates?!?!

Holly is the pool is one of the coolest things I've ever seen. 

And she looks like quite the queen in her chariot. Hopefully this will help her get out and about more. 

• Like 1

"as far as i am concerned cairns are the original spirit from which all terriers spring, and all terriers are cairns very deep down inside." pkcrossley

Oh wow that is adorable!  I'm glad she settled right in. Lola is jealous!

I've been away for awhile, but wanted to 'catch up" on how Holly is doing. She's an amazing girl and the pool therapy videos are wonderful! I'm so happy she is doing well. Thanks for sharing the pool pictures.

Nancy and Brinna

That is so funny with Holly in the stroller. She looks quite content. The videos of her in the pool are cute too. Glad to see she is doing so much better. Holly has a wonderful mommy who takes really good care of her.

We went to hydrotherapy again this morning. She coped better this time with the shower before and seemed to be happy to be in water. However, madam decided she was not wearing herself out paddling and floated for a while held by Kate. Eventually the swimming instinct took over and she even had a few seconds swimming with Kate not holding the life jacket. She swam towards were I was watching at the side and gave me a splash with her paw!

Kate felt that her back leg was a little stronger so that was good. Have booked further appointments for next week and week after.

www.cairnterriertalk.co.uk

Our neighbor and friend just told us today that her (aging) beagle suddenly came down with FCE.

(I gather it's always a sudden onset.)

He can't use any of his limbs at all.  I told my neighbor, Jennifer, about Holly's hydrotherapy.

She plans trying this, among other things, for her beloved Oscar to get him back on his feet.

I need to show her Holly's stroller.

• Like 1

Max and Nelly
signature.jpg.1a2f02ae93418630654caf879c6d4783.jpg

Tara - I am sorry to hear about your neighbours Beagle. Hopefully he will get some use back but apparently it is according to where it happens in the spinal cord. Holly's was/is in the lower oart of neck and that is why the affected area was one side. It is also apparent that the sooner the dog is treated the better the outcome. I know of another dog that was affected like the beagle who has has hydrothwrapy, acupuncture and deep heat treatment and is now much improved.

I do not think I am super good at caring for Holly, am just using commonsense.

Holly now walks with a limp and occasionally her back left leg splays out but if going at her own pace off lead she does better that when I take her on the lead for her five minutes.

I think Holly will never go on long walks again, but she will enjoy short walks with the opportunity to sniff and potter about as we did this afternoon. Went with my friend to Clumber Park and parked the car by top end of lake where it is quieter, got the stroller out and pushed that and Holly was off lead trotting along in her style, sniffing and having a poke in undergrowth. We walked for about five minutes and then I put her in stroller and we carried on along the path for another five minutes or so. So found a bench to sit on and so Holly had another snuffle round the bench (people drop food sometimes!) and then we walked back and after a few minutes she was back in the stroller sitting land looking round and we got a few smiles from folk passing! I think she enjoyed her outing and so we will have more like that if the weather is suitable.

Go to hydrotherapy tomorrow so am hoping I do not get lost on way through Sheffield as have been previously with a friend!

• Like 7

Thanks for the wonderful update on Holly.  It's great that the two of you can still get out and enjoy your walks. 

Don't be so modest, Josie.  You are a fantastic caregiver for Holly!  The two of you have a very strong bond.  She obviously trusts you completely to care for her.  You haven't mentioned Holly ever throwing a Cairn conniption when you were exercising her legs, putting her in the stroller or anything else.  You were made for each other! 

• Like 3

Considering a slightly bigger car as have had the Hyundai i10 nearly four years. So took Holly with me to the Toyota dealer near me yesterday afternoon as considering going back to a Yaris. She walked really well while I was looking at the nearly new ones on forecourt and the salesman opened the doors of one for to see space inside and her ladyship nimbly jumped into the back! So think she liked it! Being a bigger car the door opening is wider. The salesman impressed me as he was not at all pushy and was genuinely interested in Holly and knew she was a Cairn! So went into showroom so he could give me figures etc and the receptionist brought her a water dish which was most appreciated. After having a good drink she sat watching everyone coming in and out and got fussed by a couple of salespeople. Still thinking about it but am returning tomorrow to see how her stroller fits in and have a test drive. However, will leave her at home so can concentrate!

But am impressed by the attitudes at the dealer to having a dog wandering round! Bet not many folk get the dog to approve a car!

• Like 5

I wonder what the salesman would do if you popped the hood open and had Holly take a look inside . . . :D

• Like 3

It's so nice that the dealership was cool about Holly checking out the cars. :)  Good luck with your new auto!

Cute story.  Don't you just love it when people relate to you?  Genuine people = :) 

Elsie, Max, Meeko & Lori

Yes, and that dealership got my business today - am changing to a 15 mth old automatic Yaris. And Darren the salesman, and another one asked where Holly was! She stayed at home so could have test drives without worrying about her!

The change of car will give me more room for her stroller and it will be much easier to get it in and out.

See?  Now our Cairns have us buying new cars to chauffeur them around.  Sheesh!

The new car sounds lovely.  Has Holly ridden in it yet?

• Like 1

Do not collect the newer car until next wednesday! So Holly will have to wait for her new transport.

Sounds like those salespeople are animal lovers. Of course Holly wants to check out the new car. She isn't going to let you buy just anything it must meet Cairn standards.