CairnTalk

Getting to know YOU

Teri9672

Oops.

Edited by Terrier lover

Until one has loved an animal, a part of  one's soul remains unawakened.  - Anatole France

Adventures with Sam &Rosie

• 3 weeks later...

Hello, I have just joined the site last month. I have been really enjoying reading the post from y'all. Lots of good advice. I will be picking up my very first Cairn puppy this Sunday. She will join our family and she will have a big sister and a kitty to play with. I have always had bigger dogs, ie: Irish Setter, Golden and a Husky but have always wanted a Cairn. So, I'm not getting younger and so this Pup will be for me and I love her already. I enjoy all the advice I have read so far and I look forward to getting to know some of you. Oh, I hope I get the hang on the site and learn how to post things and some pictures of my new Baby Girl MORAG.

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...

Hello everyone! My name is Denise and I live in Rhode Island, I"m a mom to 3 grown boys, a cat Cosmo, Zack's snake while he's away at college, and Jasmine, a 4 year old Silky/Cairn..we think!  I am an avid hiker, walker, and cyclist. I adopted Jasmine in October of this year after losing my very beloved 5 year old Tibetan Terrier to lymphoma. These have been the most heartbreaking 10 months of my life. I wasn't sure if I wanted a "little" dog that might not be able to hike, or worse a yippy little barker!  She is a doll! We walk 4-5 miles every day. She is confident, and isn't yappy at all!  Jasmine came from a local shelter, taken from the owner because he wasn't treating her very well.( to put it nicely)  She loves the outdoors, playing with her many tennis balls, her baby kermit, and snuggling close with me. Jasmine starts her basic obedience classes this next Saturday! Can't wait for the warmer weather so we can have fun hiking together! Nice to meet you all!

Welcome, Denise!  I'm sorry you lost your Tibetan Terrier. It is always heartbreaking when we lose one of our furry friends, especially so young. :(

I am glad thought that you got Jasmine and that she is such a doll. It sounds like you are having a lot of fun with her!  Pics, please!

Good luck at obedience class!

Hi Denise! A warm welcome to you and Jasmine. Got any pictures of Jasmine you can share with us? I've never seen a Silky/Cairn - she has to be an interesting gal with loads of personality.

Helene, Jasmine looks a lot like your dog with the red bandana, but she has the buff and blue markings of a silky. Oh yes, she has a big attitude for a 14 lb dog! I will post pictures  soon!

Besides Silky Terrier, I am not 100 % certain what Jasmine is.The vet, and groomer both said Cairn, maybe Norwich or Mini Schnauzer. I plan on doing a DNA test to find out for sure though!

Helene, Jasmine looks a lot like your dog with the red bandana, but she has the buff and blue markings of a silky. Oh yes, she has a big attitude for a 14 lb dog! I will post pictures  soon!

If your profile pic is Jasmine, she sure has a Cairnish look to her face. Sweet girl!

Hi Denise and welcome to Cairn Talk!   Jasmine is adorable and looks like she has a lot more Cairn in her than Silky Terrier.  I love her coloring!

Edited by LindaMC

• 3 weeks later...

Hi, I'm Lacey's Mom. Lacey is my Cairn Terrier... a mix, I think, as her legs and nose are a little longer than most pictures I have seen. She is a mix of brown, black and blond and she is approximately five years old. I got her from the county shelter when she was around two years old and she is a wonderful companion. I live in southeastern Michigan and we are all having a time with the snow this year. I browsed the forum and found some interesting topics. Looking forward to more. Thanks!

Lacey's Mom

• 2 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...

Hi, I am since a while here so I will introduce my Cookie. He is 1 year and two months old now. He is a pure cairn terrier and rather small. He weights about 8.5 kg. We live in France (I suppose Cairns in Europe are generally bigger - every cairn we have met before were much bigger then him).

I love to talk about cairns and dogs. and in the future I plan to addopt another cairn :wub: because I love their character.

Cookie is very easy going, he will make friends with everyone. He hardly ever barks but he talks to me by doing this funny noises with his throat - especially when he does not agree with me, it is not growling it is something like purr. He loves to play and run freely and smell also hunting the dragonflies in the garden. We attend to dog school since 1 year now and he is the best student there. We also do agility once a week and do a lot of walking in the hils.

I hope we can shere our experience here about those small but big dogs.

;)

• Like 2

Hi Cookie. Angus makes those same throaty noises -almost like he might talk any minute.

Please post Cookie pictures if you can.

• 8 months later...
Account Deleted

It is wonderful to hear so many great stories.  I am married, with 2Step-Son's, one beautiful Granddaughter who just turned 13..Yikes.  I am a nurse, have been so for 34 yrs working in both hosptials and pre-hospital areas( flight nursing).  My Husband is a network engineer, turned Chef and gives cooking lessons.  We have 4 furry kids; a black Lab, now 10 yrs old, Main coon cat, TIckfaw( found him in Tickfaw Louisiana...long story), Moggie, our 12 yr old Cairn and Lola, yorkshire terrier.

Moggie found us at the longterm parking at Modesto, CA airport....not in the best area of Modesto.  She crawled out from under our car, not wanting to walk on her back paw.  Of course it was a Sunday, to after taking her to an Emgerency Vet after X-rays we found out she had nothing wrong with her paw, but when she thinks she maybe in trouble she uses this ploy to gain sympathy or deflect any blame.  She is terrified of loud noises, have to give her tranquilizers during the 4th, as she shakes herself into a frenzie and starts smelling very unpleasant.  She is very smart.  We do allow her off lead, as she instinctively know the property boundries.  Because of her fear of everything the only time she strays from us if there is a loud noise, or what she detrermines to be a loud noise...you will soon she her trying to shuffling down the sidewalk searching for a less noisey family. 

She is very passive...she will let the Yorkie walk all over her..I am sure this is because of her past life on the wrong side of the tracks.  She has some indepent traights, has perfected the "stare" and has slective listening to mom and dad.  She is a joy, as are our other human and furry kids.  However, we are in love with the bread and have planns to adopt another when our lab passes. 

Thank-you to everyone who send us support and positive vibes when she had to have surgery to remove the tumor from her under arm.  She is doing well playful, happy and healthy!

• Like 3

• 1 year later...

Hi, my name is Diane. I live in Goldendale, WA. I have been active in dogs for many, many years.

I recently purchased my first Cairn, though I had a Patterdale who really looked like a cairn for 14 years. I've always had large dogs other than my patterdale, but I have to say, I AM IN LOVE with this breed!

I will be getting another cairn in May. I hope to show my dogs, but if they don't turn out to be show quality its no big deal. I will do earth dog stuff. I have done obedience and tracking and stuff in the past, but I'm getting kinda old for that. Where I live it is PERFECT for cairns, 20 acres that is fully dog proof fenced, and lots of rocks, badger sets and grey digger squirrels! : )

I have 6 American pit bulls and two black and tan coonhounds, a retired race horse, 22 sheep/goats, a steer, 2 prairie dogs, a Patagonian cavie and a lot of poultry. Oh, and some rabbits. I really like my Nubian goats! The sheep are Barbados black bellies (American).

I am a retired animal control officer and writer. I've published three books and hundreds of articles on dogs. My one and only "Great American Novel" is called The Dog Who Spoke With Gods. Of course its about a dog! LOL.

I'm glad to be here. Look forward to hearing about other cairns!

• Like 2

Idaho Cairns

Well welcome aboard Diane--my two Cairns are thinking you just describe their personal heaven!  I would love to see them around goats but, I'm afraid from past experience, your prairie dogs might be short lived with my girls.  Otherwise--Nirvana!  Happy New Year to you and all of yours!

Wow, Diane!... Your ranch sounds like a cairn's idea of heaven... Or, for that matter - anyone's idea of heaven!

I expect you will be having loads of "cairn" adventures ahead, and I'm looking forward to reading all about them!

Welcome to this wonderful forum!

FEAR THE CAIRN!

• 3 weeks later...