CairnTalk

Tuk-tuk might have Vestibular Syndrome!

DawnandTuk-tuk

When my little Min Pin began having accidents due to his illness, we also used the "Always" brand. I found even the thinner pads are pretty absorbent and worked just as well as the very bulky ones.

So glad to hear that you have a nice vacation, Dawn. You're family is lovely!

• Replies 186
  • Created
  • Last Reply

go with Always infinity, newer version of always with the same absorbent core as a 'pampers diaper' :thumbsup: gotta love P&G

Tracy, Amos, Walter, Brattwrust & Mettwurst a.k.a The Gremlins

Wow! Thanks for the info and the link!!!! I'll be going with the Col. Potter ones online. They had free shipping and were cheaper, plus proceeds go to the rescue center, yay! And I didn't know that about the diapers...lol. Now I just have to measure Tuky. He's gained some weight so I have no idea what size he'll need, good thing I have one of those bendy seamstress tapes my mom gave me a long time ago...obviously I don't know its proper name, hehe. I'm so glad I have all of you to answer my embarrassing question!

Thanks again everyone! You guys are the best!!!!

"I have one of those bendy seamstress tapes my mom gave me a long time ago...obviously I don't know its proper name" :confused1: ... (Isn't it called a tape measure?)

To confirm what others have written here: "overnights", without wings are the pad to use. Keeping the undercarriage clean with anti-bacterial wipes is also important. If you google "bellybands" you'll find additional sources for them online. Costs vary quite a bit and there are some very reasonably priced belly bands to choose from. All the ones I'm familiar with have velcro closures which allow for a lot of leeway as far as fit is concerned. In spite of that, I would caution you not to do what I did, which was to put some of the belly bands in the washer & dryer. They shrunk so much I had to give them away to a friend who has a much smaller, elderly dog! (A Papillion - 9 lbs.).

I'm able to be home all day with my Cairn and I take him out as much as 6-8 times, which is not a problem for me at all. Even so, he wears the belly band indoors because his control is unpredictable. I easily adjusted my attitude re his needs - went back to thinking of him as if he were a puppy - out we go when he wakes from naps, after meals, after playing and for no special reason at all - it's just in and out real fast - he pees outside as soon as he hits the ground!

Some owners in this situation restrict their dog's water intake at night before bedtime. I won't do this and my vet concurred. I think it's healthier for a dog who is already old and/or ill to be well-hydrated and keep the kidneys flushed.

Tuk and your kids are absolutely adorable ...What a great looking gang!

FEAR THE CAIRN!

So glad to hear you enjoyed your trip to San Diego. You all look very happy in the pic!!

Good luck with the diapers/bands thing. No experience there - but sounds like you have some expert advice. xoxo to Tuk!

Dawn, how are you and sweet Tuk doing these days. I have been thinking about you and sending positive thoughts your way :hug: .

~Melissa

Ok, so it's been a bit of a week. The kids went to their dad's right after we got back, and they came back almost right away with my DS sick-nasty, nasty stomach virus. Ended up taking him to the er, he's ok just got dehydrated. Well, we all ended up with it! I do NOT do well with stomach stuff, it can put me in the hospital fast. I'm still trying to feel better, ugh.

Anyway, when we got back and last weekend, Tuk was having accidents, #2 ones too. I noticed his stool was soft and sometimes like diarhea. Well, my mom overfeeds him and he put on noticable weight while we were gone and had trouble breathing last weekend. My goal this past week was to get his stool back to normal and his breathing. His breathing is a little better, no go with the stool. I'm taking him to the groomer tomorrow/today (it's early morning here) to get a significant hair cut on his backside to help keep him clean...it's been pretty nasty. So I called the vet Friday, they want to lower his steriod dose again and have him on bland diet over the next 4 days to see it that improves things.

I'm hoping he'll get back to having fun again with this lower dose. He seems to become sorta zombie like after awhile on the steriod. He eats/sleeps/does his business. When he gets up it's to find a cooler spot to sleep or look for food. He will occassionally show interest in attention from us but if we don't have food then he moves off to sleep. My ex came over this week to see the kids (a break from our routine) and wanted to feed Tuk-tuk fries. He told him 'be nice' and I told him he doesn't know that command anymore. He didn't believe me. A baby could've given Tuk food before and if you said 'be nice' Tuk wouldn't have touched their fingers. So he gave Tuk the fry and jumped back saying Tuk almost took his fingers off. I told him I won't feed Tuk from my hands anymore, I drop it on the floor...he just can't seem to control himself.

I'm totally afraid to take him to the groomer. This level of activity is very difficult for him to handle. He gets tired if a visitor comes over. But I also think he will feel better if he gets a bath, gets rid of some hair so he can get cool. I always loved my groomer they have little play pens so they dogs can hang out together while they wait to be picked up...I'll ask for Tuk not to play today. That makes me sad. Oh this while thing makes me sad! This'll probably be his last bath.

So here I am, not a morning person, got up at 4:30 cause I couldn't sleep. Worried about my baby.

Btw, the tape measure is totally hilarious! Ok, so my thinking is, if I have a tape measure for the house and a tape measure for sewing sitting next to each other and I want one....well, there HAS to be a technical name for one, the other or both! If I just say hand me the tape measure and their sitting next to each other how will you know which one to hand me? LOL! So that was totally overthought, I know. But I'm a total dork. My family likes to make fun of me cause I read the dictionary when I was a kid, yes cover to cover. In my defense, I went to a one room school and there weren't a lot of books in our library!

I know it may sound time consuming when you least need it, but you might consider handling tuk's grooming yourself. I "groom" both redmon and Teddy myself, mostly because I have a crazy schedule that makes it very difficult to plan these things, but also I don't like the psychological stress of the groomer for redmon and of course teddy's medical issues are such that I wouldn't put him into the hands of a groomer outside a medical facility anyway. My results are completely amateurish, mostly because I am not very serious about the fashion angle, but the dogs are clean, and shorn well enough that keeping them clean is not a major operation.

In the past I have noticed with my failing pets that self-grooming is very difficult when they feel under the weather, and they greatly appreciate help in keeping clean. Bathing can bring out grumpiness, but a lather and rinse in the shower involves a lot less manhandling and is easier on the nerves (it is also super quick). some really like a gentle blow-dry, but others like a genlte rub dry IF it does not bother sore spots. Combing tangles also tries the patience. I would suggest just clipping them out, never with scissors --a dog or cat that is hurt or depressed may try to attack the scissors and be injured. I just use electric grooming clippers, putting my fingers between the skin and the clippers blades. Nobody can get hurt, and depending on the time you have you can do the whole dog that way. Some dogs get tired or impatient sitting so long (you should be able to do this without any restraints), if so just end the session and continue later (or the next day). Redmon has got to where he can combine napping with having his coat shorn.

If you can deal with some home-made appearance and some extra time, you can probably keep tuk clean and comfortable, and he might appreciate the extra bonding time. With practice you might get really good at it. Anyway, the point is that I know from previous experience that even when pets get depressed and distracted by illness, they never actually lose interest in being clean, and it is possible to lower their stress and bolster their spirits by home grooming. It can even be done in segments of a few minutes a day, instead of the full, possibly traumatizing session of the groomer's.

• 2 weeks later...

hi all. I think my modem is broke on my computer so this an attempt to give an update via phone...boy does this take a long time to type! Work has been insane so no time to use the computer there either :(

so after lowering his steroid dose last time he was a happy dog with no accidents for quite a few days, then last thurs we had what a have named a vestibular attack...rapid eye movements, falling over...all the things that alerted us to the tumor in first place. After talking with one of his neuro vets she said that is tumor coming on from the lower dose of steroid and we need to up it again. She prescribed a new med to 'coat' his stomach so he does get diarhea again. So all weekend he followed me around giving me funny looks. Called the vet to report today and our other doctor dubbed this clingy behavior based on my description and said another vestibular episode is probably eminant so upped his striod yet again on alternating days. We are on the lookout for 'zombie' dog behavior cause he seems to be sensitive to the steriod for some reason and react to it over time by just being interested in sleep and food. Oh, and he had his first accident today in more than a week on our new higher dose. So that's my update. We call the tumor 'mean nasty thing' now since it won't leave us be. And he loved his shave. He is much cooler, enoug so to go back to sleeping on his blankets. Our groomer was very sweet and took good care of him.

Oh, Dawn . . . you're an absolute angel for little Tuk. I'm sure he's grateful for all your efforts to keep him clean and comfortable. Regardless of how he acts, be assured that you ARE the center of his universe. As always, we're here for you. :hug:

Thank goodness you are Tuks Mum! He couldnt find anyone more loving than you. A big hug from Jock and me to you and Tuk :hug:

Until one has loved an animal, a part of  one's soul remains unawakened.  - Anatole France

Adventures with Sam &Rosie

We're pullin' for ya Tuk-tuk ! You have a good mom. You're in good hands (and heart).

North Georgia, USA

Home to Miss Murphy-Cairn mix-born est. Dec.'07

Joined our family on June 16,'09

Dogs leave pawprints on your heart

Hey Dawn,

It sounds very tricky to get the dosage just right. You're taking the best care of Tuk.

We are sending warm doggie hugs & face licks your way from Taz & Gypsy

Hiya Dawn,

I'm still thinking of you and Tuk every day and sending every positive thought and best wishes for as easy a time as possible for you both.

I'm sorry you were all so sick last week. I can take about anything, but stomach bugs turn me into a big baby. I do hope you and the kids are feeling much better.

Re: tape measures. For some reason, I call the stiff (house) kind a "tape measure", and the soft cloth kind a "measuring tape". Who knows how official these things are, though. :D

I'm glad Tuk is feeling cool and comfortable now. Lots of hugs to you both.

Autumn & Molly

Dawn, just a quick note to let you know I think of you and Tuk every day, and I am sending lots of hugs and prayers! :hug:

well I got a new modem but it doesn't wanna talk to my router so I still can't access the internet from home yet. So I am typing this from my phone, ugh.

tuk has been having trouble getting his footing on the tile. I was considering calling the vet, after tonight I will for sure. I was getting dinner things on the table when my daughter exclaims 'what is he doing!?' I look down and see tuk completely stiff and rolling on the floor (like if you'd asked him to roll over). He rolled a couple times. When I got to him and got him to stop his head was craned straight back, it was a good thing he was already on his back or I think it wouldve just been horrible and painful. His eyes were jerking and bulging and he was so stiff. It took a really long time (or at least it seemed that way, and longer that past episodes) to go away. It was frightening for all of us, tuk included. I'm calling the vet first thing tomorrow. I don't know what to do. It was so horrible and we've already increased his steroids to fight the last attack. I'll let you all know what they say.

Sending love, prayers and hugs to you and Tuk from Molly & me.

love and prayers from Holly and me too for Tuk, you and family!

love

Josie

www.cairnterriertalk.co.uk

Idaho Cairns

Dawn, I don't know if this will help in Tuk's case but our beloved Tootsie had seizures similar to what you are describing for a number of years prior to her passing and while they were difficult to go thru, we were able to manage them to a certain extent by the use of a cold compress right at the base of her neck at the shoulders. We kept a baggie of ice handy in the freezer for just such occasions(we even used a box of frozen peas once).

Following the first incident I did some research on the Web and came across the suggestion.

I don't know if it is the case with your Tuk but Toot's body temperature went sky high during these episodes--I assume from the rigidity of the muscles and we felt the cold compress help regulate that internal heat somewhat and it helped bring her out of the seizure quickly.

Of course, work with your vet, who will have better advice but if the seizures continue, you might want to try this method. Perhaps all it did was give us the impression that we were "doing something" to help her which, in and of itself is valuable--there is nothing worse for a pet owner to have to stand idly by while their companions suffer.

I sure feel for you and your dog right now. Hang in there with Tuk, Cairns are such tough cookies and have a tremendous will to go on so you need to be ready to help the little guy all you can. Thinking of you--keep us informed. Chuck

the neuro vet said there's not much left for us to do. We can raise his dose but she didn't feel it was going be very successful at this point. She said he's done better than they hoped for. My regular vet is coming friday afternoon. I'm very sad

Idaho Cairns

Dawn, you must do what is best for Tuk--first, last, and always. God bless, I know the pain and there is so little that can be done to ease it except to do what is right by your dog. Let the dog communicate to you right now--he will tell you what you need to do.

Very sad too.

Archived