CairnTalk

Tuk-tuk might have Vestibular Syndrome!

DawnandTuk-tuk

I'm so upset over this. I have been away for some time. The first post I read, I went to Tuk Tuks story. I read all 7 pages from beginning to end and cried. Dawn, I have no words, I'm speechless. Such a young little guy to have to have this and go threw this is just not fair. Tuk Tuk will be in my daily thoughts and well wishes. I just don't understand, why take such a young fellow. I don't want any pet to be ill, or have this, but life is just not fair sometimes. My heart is heavy and I pray for Tuk Tuk. Please give him a big hug and kiss for me. I'm glad you are having good days. Miracles can happen Dawn and in my little mind I'm going to think and hope just maybe Tuk Tuk will be a miracle. Hugs to you and so sorry you have to go threw this.

Rhonda,Kramer & Angel Missy "Blessed is the person who has earned the love of an old dog". "It came to me that every time I lose a dog they take a piece of my heart with them. And every new dog who comes into my life gifts me with a piece of their heart. If I live long enough, all the components of my heart will be dog, and I will become as generous and loving as they are" Missy Rainbow Bridge Memorial
/>http://www.indulgedfurries.com/petdiabetes/memorium/missy2.htm

• Replies 186
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I always feel bad when someone who hasn't read Tuky's story does so and is so sad. But I always appreciate the kinds words and warm thoughts sent along.

Personally, I already think Tuk-tuk is a miracle. He is my miracle. The last five years have been a bit difficult for me and so every Tuk moment is its own miracle. The time he almost pulled me in the lake. How he and cats kiss, too sweet. How he sits calmly so my dd can pet him, but plays tough with my son. When he follows all the people at the dog park so that no one knows who his person is. How he rolls on his back for belly rubs only for little kids. How much he loves to sit in my lap. There's so much more. It's all a miracle that is wrapped up in the form of this adorable little Cairn terrier, at least to me.

that was my thought too, dawn. tuk-tuk is already a miracle, and always has been. and he always will be.

• 2 weeks later...

It was time to refill Tuky's steriod scrip, and the vet has decided to try stepping down the dose. So, he get's a 5mg pill in the morning and a half one at dinner. I hope this works! He is ever so hot all the time and our temps are hovering around 100 now and will only go up from here. Plus he's just STARVING all the time. He eats his meal and not an hour later will act like I didn't feed him a thing. Two hours after eating I can hear his tummy growling too. :( I'm having a love/hate relationship with those little pills. They are keeping him alive, but making him miserable.

I got out his doggy pool this weekend! I thought it might help keep him cool. He got in it for 5 seconds, got out when I started taking pictures. I got some good ones I will post later this week. He hasn't got back in it though...just uses it for a giant water bowl. I was thinking of putting some ice cubes in it and see if that might make it fun. When I figure out where him and the babies have hid the kong I was thinking of freezing something in it, but I'm nervous cause he has a hard time with things that overwork his jaw. I've never froze the kong before. We'll see. His hair cut is growing out and it's at the stage where he looks like an overloved teddy bear. I love it when he looks like this.

Tuk-tuk and the babies work well together. While I was out at lunch today the cats drug 3 treat bags down off the counter and Tuk obliged by opening all 3. One was an almost full bag of Bil Jacs. The cats can't/won't (I've never, ever seen them up there) get on that counter so I thought the treats were safe there. Lol, they are not particularily graceful cats and can't seem to jump very high. I think I've figured out how they got up there, I will be fixing that for tomorrow. :thumbsup: Plus there's no more treats to eat! lol

When I figure out where him and the babies have hid the kong I was thinking of freezing something in it, but I'm nervous cause he has a hard time with things that overwork his jaw. I've never froze the kong before. We'll see.

I freeze peanut butter or applesauce for our dogs, and they don't really have to use their jaws much they just use their tongue to scoop out the goodies. Hope the new dosage works for Tuk & that the heat isn't too much for him. Can't wait to see the pix of Tuk in the pool!

Jim

Jim, Connie, Bailey & Sophie

FLOWERCHILD-1-1.jpgBAILEYSOPHIE4-22-07002-1.jpg

Dawn, my husband was looking over my shoulder and saw Tuk's avatar photo and said, "What a beautiful Cairn!"

Hope all is going well with you and Tuk! :hug:

Melissa

sheila and Misty

sounds like Tuks doing a bit better if the vet is dropping the dosage. and look at the positive side hes still enjoying being with you and hes eating. still in my thoughts and prayers :pray:

Just wanted you to know we're still thinking of you. Buffy sends her good wishes (and lots of nuzzles) to Tuk-Tuk. :hug:

Stopping by to catch up and say we are still thinking about you 2 :)

I LOVE MY CAIRNS PUDDLES AND IRIS!

I haven't been on this site for awhile, so am just hearing of Tuk-Tuk's fight. I will be thinking of you both and sending positive thoughts your way. Tuk-Tuk is lucky to have you!

Stacey

Hiya Dawn.

Just thinking about you and wanted to say Hi to you and Tuk-tuk.

All our best wishes, hugs and scratches,

Autumn & Molly

I haven't been on in awhile...end of the school year-ahh! I catch up on my phone though.

The lower dose of prednisone is agreeing with Tuk! He's in a better mood and even plays with his toys now. He still gets warm but isn't as hot and miserable as before. He's getting into even more loads of trouble with the babies (Batman and Robyn - the cats) so I know he's doing better all the time. I think they have worked out a dog/cat language and conspire to knock everything off the table/counters so Tuk can rip it all open to see what's inside, edible or not. This is new for Tuk, as he used to not chew up anything that wasn't food. My theory is, if it makes a mess, then it's grand fun! Over the weekend I saw the 3 of them in another room and I kept watching them to see what they were up to, but everytime I would look they all would just look at me all innocent like. I couldn't find them doing anything wrong. Then the next morning I went downstairs and they had knocked a shopping bag down and ripped it all up. I could tell the chewing was Tuk's handy work. I still can't figure when they did it as I was WATCHING them, but they sure did manage it. Fortunately nothing was damaged, but I still had a massive mess to clean up. There are worse things than ripped up shopping bags I guess. And it is funny when I'm not irritated at cleaning another mess. lol He's also enjoying outdoor time too. I think our weather here this year is karmic. As far as I know we haven't 'officially' hit 100 degrees which is unbelievable for approaching the end of May. And on Saturday I was cold when I went out in a tank and shorts to do yard work. This makes it way more bearable for Tuk-tuk. It's like all the wonderful energy in the world (and from you guys) is making us have great weather just for him...so he really can enjoy himself as long as possible. He goes out at night and chases/eats moths. He comes back in with a face full of leaves. :) Then he shakes them all over the house! The babies appreciate this, they like to play with/eat what he brings in. I would worry about vacuming it all up, but everyone seems to enjoy it so much I leave it. Besides, leaves on the floor remind me he's having fun. I like that.

The kids and I have had a vacation to San Diego planned since before we found out about the tumor. We leave Saturday. My mom is coming to stay with my furbabies. I've decided not to take Tuk since activity seems to really throw him off. We had a visitor and he just wanted to go outside and then lay down, it was shocking...not like his usual jumping all over self at all. Anyway, I was doing a good job of not thinking about leaving him here for 5 days. And I know he's not going to be alone, and he loves my mom. But... I've left instructions in case the worst happens, everything is ready, he has enough pills. I'm not ready. I don't leave for long periods of time on the weekends cause I don't want to be away from him. My mom and sister made me go out with them this weekend cause they said I need to stop that. I kept thinking I needed to get back. He needs to 'go' alot so I just want to make it easier on him. Plus, well, I just don't know how long I've got with him. I feel like I'm being a bad mom leaving him here and going off and having fun. He's doesn't get a break from his tumor, he doesn't get a break from dying. sigh

Idaho Cairns

Dawn, guilt is not the answer. Your dog doesn't think that way and neither should you--he doesn't fret about what fate has given him, he lives with it as best he can. He will enjoy his life as fully as he can for as long as nature has given him.

I know it is hard but experiencing the maximum amount of joy you can for yourself is appropriate for a dog owner--they always do what is joyful for themselves and those around them--double that in the case of Cairns.

Thanks for catching us up--I think of all of you daily. Chuck

Idaho said it so well. I do part time elder care. Sometimes its just to give the regular caregiver a break they really need. Your situation can be mentally exhausting. Take a break and you will come back with a renewed energy to take care of Tuk-tuk. He should be fine while you are gone, you have a trusted companion to be with him.

Dawn, I, too, think of you daily. I am so happy to hear that Tuk-tuk is enjoying himself playing with his toys and the cats. I can just imagine Tuk with his face full of leaves...what a joyful sight to behold! It sounds like the prednisone is really helping him feel better. And I know it means so much to you to see him happy.

Feeling guilty when your furbaby is sick and not wanting to leave him is completely normal. I would feel the same way. At the same time, I think it is really important to make some time for yourself. I hope you can get away with your family and enjoy yourself on this vacation. You so deserve it, Dawn. Remember, no matter where you are, Tuk knows your heart and feels all of your love. He will be fine with your mom. And when you return, it will be a joyful homecoming.

I am keeping you and your Tuky in my prayers. Have a safe trip!

Melissa

So glad that Tuk is enjoying himself playing with the cats and being a normal naughty Cairn![Holly loves to shred a plastic shopping bag too and make a mess!] Do enjoy your little break away - it will give you the strength to continue the care. Thinking about you!

www.cairnterriertalk.co.uk

I completely understand your feelings about leaving Tuk but, as others have said, you need a break. Go on vacation and enjoy yourselves. Tuk will be fine with your mom and you'll only be a phone call away. :)

Yes, it's important that you re-charge and that your kids still get their vacation. Tuk is in good hands and San Diego is not that far away. Try to relax and enjoy your time there. The ocean air will be therapeutic! B)

If your mom should need anything at all while your gone, you have my number.

• 2 weeks later...

Thanks for all the help you guys! I had alot of fun on my vacation and whenever I would start to get sad about Tuk-tuk I would just think of what you all had said. It was hard cause my mom said Tuk-tuk did his usual stay-by-the-garage-door-till-mom-comes-home routine. :( She would call him over to her, but he would just go back. She said she didn't get any sleep cause he snores, lol. And the babies make a racket. I knew he snored...but I guess I'm just used to it.

It's time for belly bands. He was having more pee accidents before I left, but it's been non-stop since I've been back. And, it's like he can't control it too. My local pet bakery/specialty store carries them so I'm going to see how much they are there compared to online w/shipping. I'm wondering though, cause the lady there mentioned you put in a ladies, er, 'pad' to soak up the pee, do any of you have recommendations on what works best? This is so embarrassing. :shy:

Ok, so I never ever post pics of my kids online so you guys are getting a treat here. I know their dad does on his facebook so I shouldn't be so worried about things like this, but I just don't like to put them out there, you know? Anyway, we were at Sea World waiting for the Shamu show to start so I took a pic of us. Give me a second here to brag...aren't they so cute!? The kids are cute, the dog is cute, the cats are cute...how to I get through the day surrounded by so much cuteness!? I'm so lucky! :wub:

post-3497-12757546102041_thumb.jpg

Most likely you'll need the 'overnight' or 'incontinent' type pads as they're the most absorbent. You can try cutting them in half to see if they keep your floor dry, otherwise you'll need the full pad and in that case when you measure Tuk, you'll need an extra inch or two for a full length pad. You might want to try Col. Potter's on ebay; if you'll email what size you need and make several choices & explain you need them quickly, they may have some already made in the needed size & get them out ASAP. http://http://stores.ebay.com/Col-Potters-Eclectic-Corner_Belly-Bands_W0QQ_fsubZ192413011QQ_sidZ240343341QQ_trksidZp4634Q2ec0Q2em322

Try Sam's or Costco for the pads for your best price. And I'd suggest you getting some baby wipes, too; just plain ones, certainly not antibacterial. When you have times when a wet pad stays on him a bit, wiping him off with the baby wipes will be fast & easy & help protect his skin, as he can & may develop a rash from 'wet diaper' syndrome.

Yes, yes sooo very cute!! You are so very blessed to have such a support system around you all the time!! Kuddos on making it through the vacation. And many happy days with family, babies and of course Tuk-tuk! As for the absorbent problem....see what will fit that area on the belly band and kinda go from there? With so many styles and sizes to choose from........this is (and I agree with you) a different conversation than I thought I would be having......mine are getting to the age of "OLD FARTS" and have this to look forward too? ;-0 Anyway, to those that have had to use the belly band.....your wise thoughts are needed!

Glad you enjoyed the vacation - lovely picture of you all!

In a way it is nice to know that Tuk missed you isn't it!

Can't offer any help on belly band and what you use as I don't know what is available in the States but am sure others suggestions will help! :hug:

www.cairnterriertalk.co.uk

You have a lovely family and glad to hear you enjoyed your vacation. I can't help you on the belly bands, but it is wonderful we have a place to ask these questions and get such excellent help. It sounds like the same theory as when the kids were in diaphers.

Welcome home! We're all glad to know you had a good vacation and, yes, your kids are adorable!

I used a belly band on Ziggy a few times - just until he stopped marking in the house - and this is the limited advice I can offer: I purchased the kind that just slip over the dog and fit around the belly (all one piece sewn together). I believe they also make velcro belly bands - one long piece with velcro on either end to fasten the band around the dog. From my experience, the one-piece type was a little difficult to get on and off because it required actual cooperation from my dog.

I'd think it would also be easier to get a snug fit with the velcro type.

You may want to start a new thread specifically about belly bands so you can get more input.

Again, we're always here for you! :hug:

Archived