CairnTalk

Tuk-tuk might have Vestibular Syndrome!

DawnandTuk-tuk

:crybaby: What terrible news! I am hoping for the best for you and Tuk. I can only imagine what you are going through.

• Replies 186
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Updating real quick while I'm at work...thank goodness for the distraction. Neuro vet doesn't think he has Valley Fever. She said she thinks he did have a stroke that day I took him in, but he shouldn't be getting worse from a stroke...perhaps he has some kind of birth defect or other thing that is confounding making things worse. She thinks he has...forgive the spelling as I'm not taking the time to look it up...insephilitis menigitis. The swelling in his brain is causing it to herniate at the lower back which controls motor function. It is herniating through to to back of his neck causing his stiffness. It will eventually, untreated, cause death. They hospitalized him and put him on iv steriods to stop the swelling. She said he is a treatable dog. I didn't ask alot of questions as my brain stopped working at the images she showed me of other dogs with herniated brains. I will ask more when she calls me this afternoon. She was amazed that he was hydrated. She said he is a scary case but with him being hydrated and getting him in they hope to help him. I am scared. I alternate between crying and numbness. They want to do an MRI tomorrow if they can get the swelling down, but she says he can't have anesthesia right now cause it's too dangerous for him. Anyway, I'll update later. Please send Tuky lovy feelings so he doesn't feel so alone over there.

sheila and Misty

I havent been here awhile Im so sorry its taking long to figure out what poor Tuk and you are going through-sending positive thoughts and prayers to you both.

So the vet said he's still not well enough for an mri. We'll see how he is in the morning. I don't know when he'll be out of the hospital. Should he respond to the steriods the idea is that they will make him well over time (a couple months) and we hope he doesn't relapse. If he relapses then he may have to go on steriods for the rest of his life. She keeps using terms like 'he's not a safe dog right now' and 'if he were my dog I'd be worried'. This does not make me confident. I've got one person who keeps talking to me about 'quality of life' and thinking about money too. Tuk's birthday is Monday, he'll be 5. I don't care so much about the money, but if they can save him I want to save him. He is uncomfortable but not in pain (except in very specific positions). He shows interest in food and water and what is going on around him. I don't think he's given up yet so I shouldn't either. I'm just afraid he'll think I've abandoned him. I'm so sad/worried.

Dawn,

Hang in there. I had a very hard time with a Cocatoo that had some major medical issues. Her name was Cleo and everyone told me to give up on her. I didn't give up on her too soon and she recuperated and had a great life with us.

Wishing you and Tuk the best.

Ada

There is a drug called Mannitol, ask the vet if this is used in the animal world. The med helps decrease swelling in the brain. I'm hoping it stop him herniating his brain.

We also share your concerns about Tuk-Tuk's condition, and he will be in our prayers.Please know that we understand your feelings, as many of us have experienced very serious health issues with our own dogs. You have the full support of everyone here on the Forum. :hug:

Jim & Connie

Jim, Connie, Bailey & Sophie

FLOWERCHILD-1-1.jpgBAILEYSOPHIE4-22-07002-1.jpg

Sending our love, prayers, positive thoughts and many hugs to you and Tuk.

You have so much on your plate righ tnow and I am so very sorry that you have this added stress and worry. We are all rooting for Tuk-tuk.

I wonder why the haven't done a spinal tap to gather fluid to test- I thought you could test both kinds of manigitis.- or maybe they can't in a dog... I would ask- they can guide a needle with ultrasound... i think. At any rate I am so sorry to hear what's going on with Tuk- I hope he imporves quicly.

Tracy, Amos, Walter, Brattwrust & Mettwurst a.k.a The Gremlins

Well he is wagging his tail and walking a bit today so they want to do the mri. But his head tilt is back...I don't know what that means.

So she did mention the Manitol but didn't want to use unless as a last resort...she said it yestereday and I don't remember much but I think she said something about it affecting liver function? And they are going to do a spinal tap with the mri if she feels it's safe and/or necessary. So all bases will be covered. The bill is staggering on my meager income...$2900. My ex is financing it, but I will pay the bill. Sigh. Back to work.

Glad to hear he is improving- Hey at least the ex is being useful- I know MRI's in humans run 900-2k depending on the facility...so i'm feeling your pain from a far

:offtopic: - Dawn when this is over, i'll email you and i'll teach you how to cut your grocery(and all the incidentals) bill in half using sales, coupons, rebates, and customer rewards- so you won't have to starve to pay the bill off :hug: in fact it's amazing what you can get for free and it doesn't take a ton of time either. You'd be amazed, but that's a topic for a different forum than this one!

The doctor called to say she is so sorry cause she was wrong about my dog. He has a brain tumor. I can barely type, I hope this makes sense. It has attached to both sides of his skull. She gave him about six months to live. I have this weird thing now, an ache in my brain and a pain in my heart. I can't feel my limbs but know they're there cause I'm shaking so badly. Sometimes I feel like I can't breathe. I'm at home now, had to leave work. He'll be on steriods the rest of his time with me. If they don't work I'll have to make that difficult decision most every pet parent has to make at some point. Or he may pass in his sleep at some point. He'll come home tomorrow, she still wants to keep him tonight cause he was on the anathesia for the mri.

My dog, my dear sweet little dog. How can this happen? He's so young? I wanted a smaller dog cause they usually have longer life spans, I need him to be with me for a long time. This is cruel.

Dawn - Once things have settled, please don't just pay the bill without asking whether you could get some kind of discount. Regardless of what their "official" policy is, vets (like other healthcare organizations) are sometimes willing to give you a break. It's easier and less expensive for them to write off a portion of your bill than to send you to a collection agency. Talk to the vet, talk to the business manager/office manager, chat up the receptionist if you think it will help. Explain your current circumstances if you haven't already done so. Any discount beats no discount at all.

And I'm still praying for Tuk-Tuk!

Oh, no. What awful news, and it's terrible that you should have to go through this with a 2 yo pup. I have tears in my eyes just imagining how you feel right now and I'm at a complete loss for anything to say.

Take some time and give Tuk all the love he deserves. We'll all be here for you whenever you need support or a shoulder to cry on.

Dawn, I'm so very, very sorry. My heart aches for you. I'm sorry I don't know what else to say, but my thoughts and prayers are with you and Tuk-tuk.

Dear Dawn,

I was shocked to read of Tuk-Tuk's diagnosis. Please know that I have some idea of the ache in your heart and if there were a way to alleviate it, I would. Bless you for shouldering the vet costs for Tuk-Tuk. Reading of your concern and care for him, lets me understand what a special person you must be. You and Tuk-Tuk are in my prayers.

FEAR THE CAIRN!

Oh Dawn, I just read this thread and I am so sorry about Tuk-tuk. What heart-breaking news. I add my prayers for you and Tuk-tuk.

Dawn,

I am so sorry to hear the diagnosis. And your right, it isn't fair and it is cruel- At least you will have some time with him-

Archived