CairnTalk

Tuk-tuk might have Vestibular Syndrome!

DawnandTuk-tuk

Idaho Cairns

Dawn, I have been following this and am very sorry that you have received the worst possible diagnoses for your Tuk-tuk. Nothing could be more devastating and even tho many of us have been where you are in one form or another, we absolutely understand that the pain you are experiencing and the worse pain to come is very personal--there is little we can do to relieve you of any of it. Sorry, but that is the terrible price we pay for opening up our souls to these wonderful creatures.

Enjoy Tuk-tuk now, while you have him, let nature take it's course. Keep him close and commit to being his protector--promise him that you will not let him suffer unnecessarily that you love him enough to let him go when it is time.

Wish I could change it all for you but I can't. Let us know how we can help you in this terrible time.

• Replies 186
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Dear Dawn, I was so, so sorry and saddened to read of Tuk-tuk's diagnosis. I know your heart is breaking and you are so worried for him. If I can help in any way, please let me know. I will be keeping him and you in my prayers.

Melissa

Thank you all for the kinds words/thoughts/prayers. It is very much appreciated.

Tuky did so well following his mri that I got to bring him home this afternoon. He is perky-ish. The neuro vet is grasping for a cure. She said we could look at surgery by a lady in Colorado, sent me articles about radiation and such. I've looked at them and saw his scans. First the tumor has broken through his skull making the success of surgery slim (he would likely bleed out and the damage to his skull is significant). Radiation will only shrink it but the lit she sent talked alot about a reoccurrance. I don't think I want to put him through those things. It would seem Tuk managed to do what he does best, steal the vet's heart and she really was pushing for me to keep going. She admitted how minimal the chances of success were. She also said after caring for him she thinks she wants a Cairn. He really has the best personality I think I have ever met in a dog.

So she's officially diagnosed him with Vestibular Disease-Central (we thought he had peripheral in the beginning), with a Multilobular Osteochonrdrosarcoma (super very rare tumor) in the right occipital bone extending into the brain stem. He's on prednisone stepping down the dose till we find the lowest one that works for him. You can actually feel the tumor right behind his ear if you know what to feel for. 70% of it is outside his skull, but its the other 30 that's got us. It has pushed down causing the herniation which is why he is stiff necked. This in turn is cutting off spinal fluid flow between brain and spine-of course very dangerous. Reducing the swelling will restore this flow. We are only buying time with the steriods, not a cure.

We have found an upside...he can eat whatever he wants cause the steriods will keep his skin allergies away (vet mentioned it, I didn't realize). The kids and I have decided to make whatever time he has left a party everyday! We will, of course, not let him get fat or anything...but there's no reason he can't have chicken from the table now, or corn chips (he loves those) or whatever his little heart desires. As soon as he is well enough to get around there is not going to be a moment wasted. We've always gotten out and about, but now it is on! Let the spoilin begin. She said he won't make it to Christmas so I've got 10 years to cram into whatever time that's left...gonna make it count!

Wow, I don't know what to say....sorry seems so little. But do know that I am sorry this is happening and to such a young guy! They just seem to jump right into our heart the minute we pet them or even just see them. Great times, great pictures, get the camera out and remember that little guy for every moment you have. He helped you and now you are helping him...he loves all of you with all his little heart can!! I hope you feel all of our prayers and heart felt words forever! Prayers for Tuk and your family!

Furkids agree....."Let the Spoilin' BEGIN!!!"

I am so sorry...I just today saw this post for the first time...my heart aches for you....I really don't know what to say other than I will be praying for you, for Tuck and for your family.

Dawn, you seem to be dealing with this so well even though I know it's a very tough situation. I've been there - so has almost everyone else here - but I have to say I admire you for keeping it together and being strong in the face of so many obstacles. We'll all keep sending prayers and good thoughts for you and Tuk-Tuk. Give him an extra corn chip from me and Buffy.

Dawn, My heart breaks for you and Tuk Tuk as I have been there as well. All I can give you is when you get him home give him all your love and enjoy every minute you have with him. Enjoy the good days and spoil him as much as you can. Remember that you have a wonderful group of friends here always willing to listen and give you support during this trying time.

He's on prednisone stepping down the dose till we find the lowest one that works for him.

HI Dawn,

Several years ago my mother went through someing like this with her GSD Kali- She was 7 years old and was coughing an xray revealed massive cancer- Kali was put on Predisone and was good for months on it, when she started to show a slight decline, my mother upped the dose with the thought that she had nothing to loose. Kali did very well, and her final decline only lasted a day-

Tuky is going to be drinking a lot of wanter while on Predisone, so he'll need to pee a lot... he is also going to be hungery all the time- he'll be hungry just hour(s) after eating so maybe having some bully sticks around if he likes those might be helpful- my dogs will turn to the bully sticks before meals when they are hungry.

Tracy, Amos, Walter, Brattwrust & Mettwurst a.k.a The Gremlins

so sorry for you Dawn and Tuk.............. take care and enjoy him and let him enjoy his life as much as he can even if it means spoiling!

www.cairnterriertalk.co.uk

Wow! I am so very sorry to read this about Tuk-tuk. My heart breaks for you. I know that God will give you the strength you need to meet everyday. We all have been where you are and no matter what age it is horrible. Our little buddies are such a big part of our lives. Take comfort in knowing that we all feel your pain and pray for you all.

cairn terriers leave pawprints on our lives

we are all so fond of both you and tuk-tuk. i hate, absolutely hate that this is happening to you. we are with you every step of the way, we understand your feelings, we love you both.

Dawn, like everyone else here, I'm so deeply saddened by this. There just aren't words that will make it any better, but please know how much this affects us all. You are experiencing what we all fear most, I guess that's why we feel it so much. I believe, now that the inital shock has been faced, you are going to be able deal with the time left in a very good way. Enjoy every moment with Tuk, and create wonderful memories of him that you will hold in your heart forever. If there is anything that we can do for you, please ask. One thing you have already done for us is to make us realize even more how important our "furkids" are to us, and that we should cherish our time with them. Thank you.

Jim and Connie

Jim, Connie, Bailey & Sophie

FLOWERCHILD-1-1.jpgBAILEYSOPHIE4-22-07002-1.jpg

Our hearts break for you and Tuk down here in MS.. jimandconnie is right, You made me realize how important it is to make everyday like its the last with our furkids. My prayers are with you and your boy. And will be here for you all the way.

I LOVE MY CAIRNS PUDDLES AND IRIS!

Dear Dawn,

Thank you so much for the update on Tuk-tuk's condition. I am happy to hear he is doing better and is home with you and your family.

I fell asleep last night with Tuk-tuk on my mind, and woke up thinking about him this morning. Murphy, my Cairn, woke me early by lying across my chest and I think I hugged him tighter than I ever have before. There just are no words for the sadness all of us are feeling. When I first came to Cairn forum your posts were some of the first that I came across. Tuk-tuk's unique name and beautiful photo stuck in my mind. He is just precious, Dawn. I guess what I am trying to convey to you is that all of us here love your little Tuky and are holding him so close in our thoughts. My husband's thoughts are also with you. Like Jim and Connie said, if you need anything just ask.

Sending big hugs to Tuk-tuk and you all the way from the heart of Texas. :hug:

Melissa

P.S. I left a message for you on your "About me" page.

Dawn - After just posting about T Bone's outcome (uncertain, but still encouraging), I had to read this about Tuk, and I have tears streaming down my cheeks -- and now hiccups too...

You are so strong to face this so courageously. I'm glad you are thinking of the good times you can have spoiling Tuk, and providing all of the favorite treats and goodies. What a special dog -- but then they really all are, aren't they?

I've really been grateful for this community of cairn owners, and I hope you use this focum as a place to get support and solace from the folks here over the next few months. We wouldn't know each other if we met face to face (other than holiday cards, of course!), but I think of the people here as some of the best on the face of the earth.

I will been thinking of Tuk and wishing the best for him...

Dawn,

So sorry to hear what the diagnosis was. I'm sure you will make all the moments with him special and he will be a happy spoiled doggie.

Ada and Skye

Dear Dawn

I'm so sorry to hear whats going on with you and your baby. While I was reading the beginning of your thread, visions of what happened with my little Gabby came flooding my mind. I kept praying please don't let Tuk have Cancer....I'm so sorry..

When I found out Gabby had Cancer they gave me 2-3 days for her to live. One moment she was ok and the next...

We put her on predisone and I got 5 precious weeks with her and I am so grateful for that little time. It was her gift to me...

I so understand how hard this is for you and Tuk....It really just sucks.

You have the best attitude and just love him and enjoy him...he will

be with you forever in your heart..

These dogs are such amazing creatures so stoic..they don't tell they are sick ...

Someone else mentioned about the drinking of water, and constant hunger and peeing..that is so true, but this drug will make Tuk seem normal. Maybe alittle speedy..But he will feel no pain and he'll be happy..thats whats important.

Please take good care

Sirrell

sheila and Misty
:crybaby: Dawn I just read this post after a long time not posting -I feel for you its soo hard to go through things like that. Tuk has no clue so this special treatment will surely make it the happiest of time. When his time comes it will be difficult but Im sure you will make the right decision. prayers for your stength and prayers for Tuk to go peacefully when it is his times -cant really predict a thing like that. I am soo sorry.

I'm seldom at a loss for words, but this has struck me dumb for days. My heart is quietly offering volumes of kind thoughts for you both.

Sometimes caring for these dynamic little souls seems to test us. Maybe somehow when we shoulder our heavy burdens and sad duties with love in spite of it all, we are redeemed and find ourselves worthy at last of the love they give us so freely. I hope so, anyway.

CAIRNTALK: Questions? Need help? → Support Forum Please do not use PMs for tech support
CRCTC: Columbia River Cairn Terrier Club 

Well said Brad!!! We are praying that your days with Tuk be as beautiful and full filling as he has already shown you and your family!! May you and your family be blessed in all the days ahead!

As I don't have access to the internet over the weekend, I have been waiting until today to get an update on Tuk & hoping all weekend that things were well.

I am so, so sorry to hear of Tuk-tuk's diagnosis, so very sad and he is so young. I'm sure if you could feel all of our warm thoughts, you would be feeling numerous hugs as you go through this. So glad you've decided to spoil him...I say make everyday from now until he's gone a Christmas day...take lots of pictures & make lots of memories.

And tonight, I will go home & I will hug my little guy & cry some (more) tears & say a prayer for both you & Tuk-tuk....

God bless.

Becky & Tanner

Dawn, I'm so incredibly sorry for that diagnosis. I haven't been around much lately, so I'm just now reading up on everything. My thoughts are with you, and I am sincerely sorry. It's so hard to hear that such a lively little pup isn't healthy. I really hate to hear this news. Please know that we are all thinking of you and Tuk-Tuk.

Sparky Jones & Scout Jones
ShannasCamera112-1-1.jpgSparkyScout-3-1.jpgScoutFloor-2.jpg

Archived