CairnTalk

Tuk-tuk might have Vestibular Syndrome!

DawnandTuk-tuk

Talked with my vet office today. They do not want to lower his dose of prednisone and added pain meds. I'm pretty disappointed. I was hoping for better but knew it wouldn't be. He has trouble coming up the stairs. And over the weekend seemed uncomfortable, hot and was breathing hard alot. He got into my lap and his heart felt like it was going to beat out of his chest. He tried to lay his head on me, but after a few noises of discontent, alot of fidgeting he finally got down and laid on the tile floor. He never passes up the chance to lay in my lap, so that was a big deal. He's showing Tuk version of food aggression-which is not really aggressive at all more like cranky don't come near my bowl behavior. The kitties are really interested in all his yummy smelling food and hang around him while he's eating and he's bark-y growled at them a bunch. This morning my DD was putting fresh water next to him while he was eating and he did the same...very shocking behavior for him. I know it's all the steriod, but it's hard to watch. The vet said the breathing thing could be the tumor causing pain cause it's so large which is why they put him on the pain meds.

I'm not doing well today. I go from if he's in pain from a big tumor then I shouldn't let him suffer...but pain meds will help that, right? Or I'm thinking I'm being paranoid cause if he even sneezes I hold my breath. I'm having a hard time seeing reason or the reasonable...and I'm usually the voice of reason in situations like this. For whatever reason when it comes to Tuk I'm blinded by love and reason and logic fly out the door.

And then, because my poor little dog cannot catch a break tonight he got stung by a scorpion. 5 yrs and he's never been stung until today. Indoors no less. My dd had been sitting on the floor in the exact spot not 1 minute before. He seems to be fine, it's been 2 hrs so far. I called the emergency vet and they seem to think it shouldn't have any impact on his tumor...just to watch him for allergic reaction.

Sigh

• Replies 186
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Idaho Cairns

"I'm not doing well today. I go from if he's in pain from a big tumor then I shouldn't let him suffer...but pain meds will help that, right? Or I'm thinking I'm being paranoid cause if he even sneezes I hold my breath. I'm having a hard time seeing reason or the reasonable...and I'm usually the voice of reason in situations like this. For whatever reason when it comes to Tuk I'm blinded by love and reason and logic fly out the door."

Dawn, bless your heart, you are where any loving owner is during times like these--of course you are having a hard time being reasonable--anyone would find it hard to be. There is no magic formula but if your little Tuk-tuk is taking food and water and has his wits about him he is probably fine--a dog in extreme pain will not eat and, in my experience, will wander aimlessly trying to relieve the pain.

The best advice I can give you is to trust both Tuk-tuk and your Vet to give you direction right now--the vet has the technical knowledge to let you know when it is probably time and your beloved dog will also communicate when you should act--you may not hit the precise best time but you will get very close by paying attention.

I so wish there was something that I could do to help you thru this transition but the only thing I can do is remind you that you have been a good steward for your dog--you have given him the best you could provide, you have loved and protected him when he needed you and you will do right by him in every respect.

I'll be sending a lot of thought your way--lean on us if you need to.

Dawn my heart goes out to you and Tuk Tuk.... having a sick animal is heart breaking and I know you want nothing but to ease his discomfort. I can only advise you to be gentle with yourself and know that your love for Tuk Tuk will carry you through this crisis. Having had a sick Scottish Terrier for a long period of time was exhausting and I felt just like you, but you will know what is right in the end. You love him and thats what will make your path clear.

Until one has loved an animal, a part of  one's soul remains unawakened.  - Anatole France

Adventures with Sam &Rosie

Dawn, you are doing a wonderful job in the worst possible situation. No one could do more, or better, for their dog than you are doing for Tuk. We know that the decisions you must make in the days ahead, will be made with love & compassion. It won't get easier, but your deep, deep love for Tuk will guide you, and your choices will always be made with Tuk's well-being at heart. Our thoughts remain with you both.

Jim & Connie

Jim, Connie, Bailey & Sophie

FLOWERCHILD-1-1.jpgBAILEYSOPHIE4-22-07002-1.jpg

Thank you so much! All your responses really helped. I will use all your advice to help me when we have bad days. As soon as she said he might be in pain I just freaked out again. I absolutely don't want him to suffer. Those MRI scans were hard to look at. I also have a tumor, on my liver, its harmless, but when we didn't know I did a bit of research about them so I had to jog my memory a bit. After talking with his vet I've discovered that increase blood flow can cause it to grow. This makes me nervous now to take him out places cause he'll get excited and worked up=blood flowing. But I don't want his all his time left to be spent cooped up in the house. Rock, meet hard place.

Today he had a good day, rolling around on the floor like a goof ball this morning and having fun with a bully stick this evening. Tuk-tuk is good right now, so I'm good right now. However, if tomorrow he has a bad day I may be back crying my eyes out! :) Thanks again for all your support, everyone. It really, really helps.

Glad Tuk Tuk is having a good day and so of course are you :beer:

When our Scottie was diagnosed with a tennis size primary tumour on her lung,it felt like I had been hit in the head with a two by four. This is after years of coping with her inflammatory bowel disease. The emergency vet just said sorry and I am sure he thought Sandie had a few months tops. Well Dawn, that little girl took us all by surprise. She never looked back and lived another full year. With the help of our Holistic vet you wouldnt have known this girl had a huge tumour on her lung. Only the last 3 weeks of her life were tough and we had to make that hard decision we all so dread.

So my adivise for you and Tuk is to enjoy each day to the fullest and hug him and have a little cry yourself on the days that are tough but laugh and rejoice on the days that he is feeling fine. :hug:

Until one has loved an animal, a part of  one's soul remains unawakened.  - Anatole France

Adventures with Sam &Rosie

Thank you all for the kinds words/thoughts/prayers. It is very much appreciated.

T The kids and I have decided to make whatever time he has left a party everyday! We will, of course, not let him get fat or anything...but there's no reason he can't have chicken from the table now, or corn chips (he loves those) or whatever his little heart desires. As soon as he is well enough to get around there is not going to be a moment wasted. We've always gotten out and about, but now it is on! Let the spoilin begin. She said he won't make it to Christmas so I've got 10 years to cram into whatever time that's left...gonna make it count!

I was afraid of that. Bless you and your family, especially dear little Tuk-Tuk. I hadn't

posted until now because I didn't have the nerve to look at the topic in the first place.

I'm glad our Cairn Talk family has been supporting you so heartily. I know

my heart is breaking for you.

Take care,

Tara

Max and Nelly
signature.jpg.1a2f02ae93418630654caf879c6d4783.jpg

I'm so glad Tuk was having a good day, those are the days that help you through this mess. I will keep you in my prayers.

I was reading this and memories of my dog I had before Molly. Her name was misty and she wasn't a full blooded carin but she was my heart. She lived until she was 15. She started of seizures and the doctor said it was a brain tumor. We gave her meds and it got to the point where they just weren't helping anymore and we had to make that horrible decision that we all dread. I am so very glad that Tuk is getting better. You sound like a very good mommy and I am sure he will keep getting better from all the love and affection that he gets.

Keep us posted as Tuk progress and we will keep Tuk in our prayers.

How is Tuk Tuk today? I hope that your little guy as well as you are having a wonderfully special day.

Keeping Tuk Tuk in our prayers..................

Bless you and Tuk Tuk

Every time I go onto this site I wonder about Tuk-Tuk and hold my breath a little as I look for updates on how he's doing. I hope - and I'm sure you are - making each day a great day for him! :hug:

FEAR THE CAIRN!

Just a quick note, Dawn, to let you know I am thinking about you and Tuk and sending lots of positive thoughts and prayers his way! Murphy, our Cairn, and Gracie, our Lab, are sending big hugs! :hug:

Melissa

Every time I go onto this site I wonder about Tuk-Tuk and hold my breath a little as I look for updates on how he's doing. I hope - and I'm sure you are - making each day a great day for him! :hug:

Ditto. You're always in our thoughts.

After we hung up, Taz jumped all over me saying ... hey, I wanted you to pass the phone to me so I could say hi to Tuk!

Dawn, you are a wonderful Dog Mom -- Tuk is lucky to have you :)

Keep your spirit....

Tuk-tuk had a good week! We had cooler weather so I think that helped alot. Yesterday he was playing with his toys! This is a first since he initially got sick and went to the emergency vet waaay back when (what a month ago?) so I was very excited to see that! I had to resist the urge to jump down and play tug with him. The babies (Batman and Robyn, the cats) have been hanging out with him and knocking stuff off the table/counters for him to play with/chew up. So mischief is back in the house! :devil: This morning Batman jumped from behind a wall and grabbed Tuk by the neck! Tuk was surprised and just looked at him kinda funny. LOL! All this is alot of fun. Tuk continues to get food spoiled and more bully sticks than before, he loves that! Whenever I give him corn chips I remember to give him an extra one from Buffy! :thumbsup:

With all that good stuff I see tiny signs of the tumor. He has days he just can't go up the stairs, it seems to be too much for him...so I carry him and get extra kisses. He can't jump onto the ottoman which was never a problem, so if he wants up while we watch tv he asks me and I lift him...the perk on that is, again kisses and he usually lays right with me so I get extra snuggles too. I take the perks for sure! I figure if we can't get 100% like we were hoping at least I'm getting 80% and my frosting on the side. I like eating frosting out of the can anyway! Last night he wanted up so he came and pawed me (its a cute gesture he does). I put him up on my lap. He stretches out and puts his head on my chest. My DD looks over and says "Aw, you guys look so cute!" Then Batman comes up and lays on the other half of me. And in bit later Robyn lays her head on my legs. It was perfect.

It's good to hear that you and Tuk are truly enjoying every minute together. I wish Buffy was so generous with her cuddles! :P

Wow, Dawn, that update really warmed my heart. It sounds like Tuk is really enjoying life: playing with his toys, making mischief with the kitties, snuggling with you, and--of course--chewing on his bully sticks. Way to go, Tuk!! :thumbsup:

Dawn, I am so glad you and Tuk are having a good week. I do think about the two of you every day and hope that he is feeling as well as can be. Give him an extra hug from me and Molly. :)

Last night he wanted up so he came and pawed me (its a cute gesture he does). I put him up on my lap. He stretches out and puts his head on my chest. My DD looks over and says "Aw, you guys look so cute!" Then Batman comes up and lays on the other half of me. And in bit later Robyn lays her head on my legs. It was perfect.

Thank you, Dawn, those words painted a beautiful picture for us all to see! :hug:

Jim, Connie, Bailey & Sophie

FLOWERCHILD-1-1.jpgBAILEYSOPHIE4-22-07002-1.jpg

Very happy news to hear on what is, in Missouri, a rainy, gloomy day. Belly rubs & hugs to Tuk-tuk & prayers for you both....

Becky & Tanner

Archived