CairnTalk

Barney's heart stopped during his neuter surgery!

Barney's Mom

We took Barney in for his neuter today and the vet called and said his heart stopped beating when he was coming out of the anesthesia and they had to do CPR!!! I was totally FREAKED OUT!!!! They said he is awake now and fine, but STILL!!!!!!

They said in the future that he will have to really be monitored if he needs another procedure requiring anesthesia. I have just been beside myself all day, wondering if he will have any kind of damage to the rest of his body or brain. They said it was a short episode, but I still worry about it!!

Sorry to take up board space for this, but just had to share..... :cry:

I can't imagine anything happening to my baby Barney......

All creatures great and small, the Lord God, He made them all!

• Replies 183
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Oh my God! I would have freaked out too. Did the vet have any reason for why this could have happened? I would ask. I'm very happy that Barney is ok and I'm sure that he will be fine. It may be that he was allergic to the anesthesia, but I would still want to know. His little guardian angel dog was watching over him! :halo:

Mike

You must never apologize for posting anything, much less your poor baby's heart stopping. Lots of hugs and kisses to Barney. I'm sure he'll be just fine.

Ang.

I would have been a nervous wreck hearing that. And I would definately ask the vet for detailed information about the episode just for future reference.

So glad little Barney is okay...hugs and kisses from us

OMG - Barney - I feel like I know him eventhough we've not met - we're doing the puppy pains together. I'm SO glad he's okay. It's so scary. I worry everytime when they go under that they won't wake up. Makes every hard moment seem like nothing when you have a close call. You have to be a wreck right now. Please let us all know when he's home and how he's doing.

Hollie Edelbrock & Brystal Sonoma
Chris, Stacy and Little Noah

Wow- that's scary and I am so glad it turned out ok. I wonder how common an occurance it is to have these kind of problems during routine surgeries? Thankfully the vet told you.....they could of kept that to themselves and you would be courting disaster for any other procedure.

Sophie

Image032.jpg

I am sobbing right now!! the vet called and said he is not coming out of the anesthesia the way he should! They told me his heart had stopped for about two minutes when it happened!! She said they are putting him on IV fluids to flush the anesthetic out of his system. They said his pupils are dialated and not constricting!!!

She also said that sometimes brain damage can occur if their heart stops for a certain period of time!!!!!

I am so upset I don't know what to do!!!!! I have to call the vet tomorrow @ 8:15 and see how he is doing.

EVERYONE please PRAY for him!!! I can't bear to think something could happen to him!!

Thank you!

All creatures great and small, the Lord God, He made them all!

We are keeping all our fingers/toes/paws crossed for Barney, and praying like crazy he will be FINE. Do not apologize, keep us posted on how he is doing!! Also, try and get as much information as possible on WHY this happened.

Oh gosh, Barney is so like Angus, same age, etc. Angus goes for neutering in 2 weeks.

We feel like we know you and Barney through the emails. :( We are worried!!

Karen and Angus MacDoggal the Braveheart

I am so sad to read of this happening to Barney - we are sending prayers to you and to Barney - he's such a sweet little dog, I have to believe he is being watched - and will recover soon. Blessings- Lesley & Rusty

Oh my gosh I am so worried for Barney and for you too. I will keep him in my thoughts throughout. You never imagine anything like this could ever happen just from neutering. He is a gorgeous little dog, and I do hope that he will get through this. I know he is very loved, and I do believe that helps.

Kathryn and Allie

I am so sorry you are going through this, I will be praying for you both, I'm sure this will be a long night for you but know that you are in all our thoughts.

I'm so sorry - you're just breaking my heart - I wish there was something I could do - You know puppies are so strong - and Cairns are strong little fighters - I've seen Barney's pictures - he's got some spunk - he won't leave you - hang in there - we're all pulling for him, I'm so sorry you're going through this. Maybe you should go to the vet and insist on seeing him right away. I know it's going to be scary and traumatic but maybe he really needs to see you right now - remind him there's something worth fighting for and a beautiful family to come home to.

OMG! I am just crying here as well. I'm SO sorry to hear this. Please know that my family and I will pray for Barney's return to good health. Our thoughts are with you.

First...we are praying for you and Barney. Yes, Carins are mighty

strong little dogs. My heart goes out to you. I too, wish there was

something more I could do.

Second...is it possible to go in and see him? I think I might push harder

than h@ll to see him. I know it would be upsetting, but it might help him.

Oh, god I feel so bad for you right now. Please, please, please keep

posting. Don't ever apologize to us, we care!

my care

ellie

I'm so sorry you and Barney are going through this! I will keep you and Barney and my thoughts and prayers and cross all my fingers and toes that everything will turn out ok. (((hugs)). I wish we all lived close to each other. I would love to come over and give you a hug and hold you right now. :hug:

First...we are praying for you and Barney. Yes, Carins are mighty

strong little dogs. My heart goes out to you. I too, wish there was

something more I could do.

than h@ll to see him. I know it would be upsetting, but it might help him.

Oh, god I feel so bad for you right now. Please, please, please keep

posting. Don't ever apologize to us, we care!

my care

ellie

I agree push like H@ll to go see him - whenever I receive bad/questionable news I am on the vets' doorstep and I'd refuse to leave until you see him. Don't wait until morning for a call - it makes the world of difference - trust me - I've been there many times before - too many times - it's why it's taken me 4 years to try this again. He needs you - go to him.

than h@ll to see him

Thoughts and prayers are with you and your baby. I can't imagine how you are feeling. Currey got neutered last month and it was a full 3 hours later than they said they'd call when I finally got the news that he had complications but was ok. I can't imagine those 3 hours maginified overnight. I hope you can go there and find out more TODAY. If it were me, I wouldn't ASK to come, I'd call and say I'm on the way now. You can't possibly wait till tomorrow morning. Keep the news coming.

I agree with everyone else. I would be insisting on seeing my little boy. Just need to kiss that little muzzle and remind him how important he is.

I, too, would also ask that you find out what could have caused such and incident. Digger is scheduled to go in 6 weeks, and I would like to have a conversation or two with our vet before hand.

Digger will be a part of our prayer circle for Barney.

Ang.

I am sending prayers and positive thoughts for you and little Barney. This is absolutely breaking my heart.

Mike

Please know you and your little guy are in my thoughts and prayers - Sending strongest good thoughts your way -- Pam

Archived