CairnTalk

Barney's heart stopped during his neuter surgery!

Barney's Mom

Good Morning!

Barney's Mom, your posts just bring tears to my eyes as I read everything that the little guy is doing. I can just feel the love you have for him and how heart breaking all this has been for you.

I agree with what you said about "what happened, happened - what will be, will be." It was one of those misfortunate things but a miracle occurred and little Barney is back with you. We're all taking a chance whether it's a doctor we're seeing for ourselves or a vet for our babies. We're putting ourselves and them into someone else's care and the rest is up to the Big Guy upstairs.

Continued good thoughts are with you and Barney today!

• Replies 183
  • Created
  • Last Reply
...And now I am starting to feel these terrible guilt feelings for even sending him in there in the first place. I think to myself if I never would have had him neutered, this would never have happened, and he would be my whole, perfect little boy. But what's done is done, and what will be will be I guess. I am still very heartsick about the whole thing though, and will be for quite some time.

Barney's Mom,

You can't blame yourself about the effects of the anesthesia...he might have run into the same problem further down the line when you had his teeth cleaned...or if he were under the knife for some other reason. You did the best you could for your fur baby and you continue to do so. It sounds like, from your description, Barney's making a slow but sure recovery from a traumatic experience to his body. It sounds as if he's happy and feels secure and you and your family are the reason why.

Again, please keep us posted, and don't waste valuable life moments blaming yourself for anything...we'll all be here with you every step of the way.

Tara, Olie, Teddy and Sweet Pea's Mom

Max and Nelly
signature.jpg.1a2f02ae93418630654caf879c6d4783.jpg

Can't wait to hear what the vet says about Barney! I just know that it is going to be encouraging! Hugs to Barney and to you. Don't blame yourself! You were being a responsible pet owner by having Barney neutered. There is no way that you could have known what would happen. I am a firm believer that everything happens for a reason and I am sure that that is the case in this situation as well. Please continue to keep us posted on Barney's progress and let us know what the vet says.

Hugs and kisses from Savannah to Barney (and his mom). :hug:

We give dogs time we can spare, space we can spare and love we can spare. And in return, dogs give us their all. It's the best deal man has ever made.

-M. Acklam

Savannah's Dogster Page

Please don't blame yourself for what happened to Barney. You were being a responsible pet owner and this could have happened to any one of us.

It sounds like Barney is doing MUCH better! From what you have told us, it sounds like Barney is using what sight he has, and his ability to smell what we can't, to adapt to his world. I'm anxious to hear what the vet has to say....it sounds like Barney can see plenty and maybe when it seems like he can't see, he is being a "Cairn"? There are times when my two act like I'm not even in the room.....and they can't hear me!

I'm glad to hear you are getting rest. It's important to take care of yourself too. ((hugs)).

Sounds like he's much better! It sounds like he is happy, and like Shoe I

wonder if part of his behavior now is him just being a Cairn, Kai-lee too will act like she is deaf/blind when she decides to ignore us. I've often told my DH sometimes she acts like things aren't "connecting". Enjoy the good moments though and don't blame yourself for doing what is right. I hope your visit goes well today and I too I'm anxious to find out what procedure they used since Keegan will be neutered in the next couple of months. You all continue to be in my thoughts and prayers. Keep us posted.

It sure sounds to me like Barney is pretty much Barney again. :thumbsup:

There is absolutely no reason for you to feel any kind of guilt or regret having him neutered. How would you have felt if he somehow got loose going after a neighbors female dog that was in heat? Then you would blame yourself for not getting him neutered.

All three of mine are fixed and even though your experience wil forever be in my mind, I wouldn't hesitate to have a new pup fixed or have a surgery done that was necessary for their health.

So give Barney all the hugs that are coming from this forum, enjoy him and STOP worrying. You have a survivor!

Checking in to see if there is any update on Barney. Please don't place the blame on yourself. You've been through enough and adding guilt to it will totally wear you down. Besides, I too believe there is really no one to blame. It just happened. Just love him and hug him and let him know every day what a special little guy he is. We all love him here on the Forum and wish him a speedy recovery. BTW I hope you are holding up okay through all this. Take a few moments for yourself when you can and just RELAX. I'm relieved to read that he has made so much progress from last week. Wonder dog Barney!!!

I've been out of town on vacation and wondering how Barney was doing. I'm glad he made it home and it sounds like he's making some great improvements. My hope is that he's actually seeing pine cones and things, maybe he's just got blury vision at times and can really see :) He's going to be fine. I know what you mean about the check up and being nervous. I had a bad vet experience myself over the weekend, but it is in no comparison to Barney's ordeal. We all wish we could go back and do things differently - and we ask ourselves "what if" all the time. But you have done wonders by Barney and I'm so proud of you and everyone that participates in this forum as the love for our pets demonstrates what wonderful people there are out there. Barney can only keep getting better from here. You are so devoted to him and his needs. He'll be just fine and before you know it this will just be a bad old memory. I'm so thankful he's doing better. My hugs continue for you and your family and little Barney. :)

Hollie Edelbrock & Brystal Sonoma
Chris, Stacy and Little Noah

Hi Barney's Mom

From everything that you have said, it sounds like Barney can see, especially when you mentioned about the stranger that was a fair distance from you when you walked Barney. It's possible that he may still have some blurry moments, but it also sounds like he is making a splendid recovery. I think as time goes one, his little body will heal itself completely and he will be more than 100%.

Mike

Archived