CairnTalk

The battle is on

Dempsy's Mom

I think Demps will be glad to have your full attention again. Little does he - or my cairns for that matter - understand that they are really NOT the center of the universe. But I am glad you have found someone to care for Gracie, and I still hope you will let us know what happens as she grows. I hope she does become a beloved pet - no greater calling!

• Replies 117
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I'm relieved that Gracie has relieved herself (sorry, I couldn't resist). She seems a natural for becoming the world's first therapy cow. I hope she does well with the goat, although I was kind of looking forward hearing about Dempsey teaching her to bark at cows.

My favorite shot from one of the videos - Gracie curled up beside Digger.

Who rescued whom?

Aah, good to hear that gracie will have a Mother to care for her soon. Gosh, fancy taking her to visit homes etc - I imagine they do not have much chance to see a calf close too. Hope that gracie continues to thrive.

I have enjoyed your stories about her and Demps as your lifestyle is so very very different to any you can experience in UK!

www.cairnterriertalk.co.uk

I love this story. I believe you could turn this into a book and become an author. I look forward to the updates of Gracie as well as Dempsy. Thanks so much for opening your life to all of us. It is so fascinating and we are all rooting for Gracie. Good luck and I hope, and I am sure everyone else agrees, that you can update us every once in awhile on Gracie's progress.

Ditto...Would love to hear updates on Gracie and in the meantime Dempsy will have to continue his wonderful farming adventures.

I am so thankful that I was allowed to carry on this story even though Demps was phased out sometimes. Poor Demps - last night he came up to me with his favorite toy in his mouth,.... "Remember mom? We used to play with this." So we played and Demps was overly excited and is more than ready to resume his life prior to Gracie. I am deeply touched that you all enjoyed the journey. You are all such a great bunch of people. I am a little saddened that Gracie is leaving me but she will have a good life up there. The family also milks cows so I am not sure if Grace will have cows milk or goat milk - they will know what's best. Sure hard to turn her over though. Just wanted to share some pics:

Out in barn, by straw bale, yesterday.

Out in barn - yesterday

"Mom - Gracie farted!!"

"I think I like it here." This morning as I was getting dressed.

"Yup, this is good. I promise I won't do a pp or a poo. I'll just snooze."

Elsie, Max, Meeko & Lori

I had to laugh... a cow on your bed. Most of us have our Cairns on our beds (which horrify some people).

Thrilled that you are sharing your Gracie with us and happy that she has a chance, even if she lands up having a goat for a mum. :P No doubt Dempsey will find other adventures at the farm that you hopefully will share with us all.

Until one has loved an animal, a part of  one's soul remains unawakened.  - Anatole France

Adventures with Sam &Rosie

Thanks for keeping Dempsey intertwined in the story. I'd have hated to miss it. It's added wonderment and no small amount of enjoyment to follow this part of Dempsey's life on the farm with you.

Between Gracie's "therapy cow" visit to town and her curled up on the bed, my mind is officially blown :P

CAIRNTALK: Questions? Need help? → Support Forum Please do not use PMs for tech support
CRCTC: Columbia River Cairn Terrier Club 

I have mixed emotions - very, very happy that Gracie is doing so well and has found a place with your neighbor but sad that she'll be out of our lives now. Her story brought tears to my eyes more than once. Thank you for sharing it with us.

On the bright side, though, Dempsy is once again the center of your universe which, as we know, is where every Cairn should be. -_-

The calf on bed photos are amazing...

Add me to the list of people who have loved the unfolding of this story, especially as Gracie began to thrive, and think it would make a fabulous book!

I have followed this story from the beginning as well and have enjoyed every second of it. I believe it would make a excellent book, for young and old. I hope she Gracie has a great life and you and Dempsy can rest and play more together.

I hope that when you get updates about her you pass them along to us. Thank you so much for sharing this with us.

so will these people keep gracie permanently? as a pet?

My question also. I hope she has a forever home at one of the farms.... I wouldnt make a very good farmer... nothing would ever land up in a hamburger patty :cry:

Until one has loved an animal, a part of  one's soul remains unawakened.  - Anatole France

Adventures with Sam &Rosie

It'd be nice to think that Gracie would be a pet. I'm not a farm girl but growing up I'd visit my grandparents house. They had some chickens and a cow that they'd get serviced every year. My brother and I would go out and pick some grass to feed to the cow (Red) and her calf (also with descriptive names such as Blackie). At the end of the year the calf would be sent out to slaughter. We never were upset about it and in fact those calves made fantastic meat.

Somehow I suspect it'd be a little different with Gracie. She's come so far to beat the odds that you just can't help but root for her survival. It does seem like that would earn her a place as a pet. :)

Glad to hear the Dempsy is back to being king of the farm .. of course I doubt that he ever once thought that his position was really in jeopardy.

Cheers,

Tami

Well .... I miss my Gracie. A part of me really really wanted to keep her, but I can already tell that things are getting back on schedule for spring planting. Little Gracie was definitely sucking up my time. But you know nobody would take care of her like I would and I guess that's typical feeling from a mom. Dempsy is very happy, but he even (as you can tell by the pics) was adjusting to having Gracie as part of the family. I have a dog hammock for the back seat of a car that I strapped in the back seat of the pickup. Little Gracie sat back there so nicely. Didn't say a word - just a sweetie. It took about an hour to get to my girl friends farm. So that's the story of Gracie. Once again I am happy that you all got to take the journey with us and that it was a happy journey. Thank you to all who tolerated this story of a baby calf on a Cairn site. :) So glad everything turned out. Happy Spring!

Yes, I needed to give Gracie a Gator ride before she left.

Just the cutest.

Little Gator pals.

post-4719-0-35560100-1332592906_thumb.jp

Jim, Gracie & Digger

Me, Gracie and Dempsy

Gracie at her new home. Hungry after trip.

Gracie and baby goat, Snickers.

Elsie, Max, Meeko & Lori

What a life for little Gracie! Went from having a Cairn brother, to Snickers the goat for a sibling! Thanks for all of the updates and the wonderful photos! Hope your friend obliges you (us) with updated photos from time to time.

I nominate Gracie as honorary Cairn of the month.

What a life for little Gracie! Went from having a Cairn brother, to Snickers the goat for a sibling! Thanks for all of the updates and the wonderful photos! Hope your friend obliges you (us) with updated photos from time to time.

I second the nomination! She has all the credentials - she never gives up!

Idaho Cairns

I certainly enjoy the "Gracie" story and am not wanting, at this point, to let it go. Hopefully we can see how Gracie progresses as she grows and thrives. Lori, you opened this wonderful door for us and now you have us all standing here with our feet across the threshold saying "Wait a minute! I want to see what's in there!" so, busy as you are right now, keep the updates coming.

Thank you Lori for sharing part of Dempsy's (and your) life with all of us. I loved this latest round of pictures so much!

Gracie is going to be remembered by many people, near and far and even farther!

I third that.

Thanks for your time keeping us updated. I'm learning a lot about farm life from you. And some hugs for Digger.

Oh, how we have loved your reports on Gracie's progress, Lori. She is a little trooper, for sure. I hope she continues to do well in her new home with her new "momma." Would love to hear further updates if possible. By the way, thanks so much for the pics of Gracie and Dempsy in the Gator. He seemed very protective of her. Even Digger seemed to have a soft spot for her!

Hugs to all,

Melissa and George

I third that.

I add my vote. And I'd like to change it to honorary Cairn for life.

"as far as i am concerned cairns are the original spirit from which all terriers spring, and all terriers are cairns very deep down inside." pkcrossley

The gator pictures are great. Everyone loves to go for a drive on the weekend.

I think I finally understand how small she is, these latest pictures really tell the story of her struggle.

May she grow healthy and strong, and be a great pet. Maybe visit a nursing home or two in her spare time.

Gracie is very flattered and would be deeply honored to be an honorary Cairn. She excepts. :king:

I washed her bedding yesterday - made me sad. I called on Gracie last night - Donna says that they were out in the back yard yesterday " and Gracie jumps like a goat!" (I already knew this about my little girl - my jealousy showing) Donna's little girl was running with Gracie and Gracie was chasing. :D They are feeding her 1/2 mix 1/2 cow milk and soon it will be all cow. I was worried that Gracie was outside - it has been chilly - but Gracie is in their basement. They are very happy with my Grace. Told her that she will have to get me some pics.

Yes I can't relay to you sufficiently how small my little Gracie is. What a little trooper she is. Dempsy on the other had is enjoying being carried by me and not watching me carry Gracie. We are back on Dempsy loves, snuggles and play times. :hug:

Elsie, Max, Meeko & Lori

Archived