CairnTalk

The battle is on

Dempsy's Mom

Oh I'm so happy to hear that the calf is still fighting to survive. I forget whether you have dairy cows or cattle for slaughter. What will happen to the calf when she's a bit stronger? Will she have to stay indoors with you and Demps for more than a few weeks?

Cheers,

Tami

• Replies 117
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Lori, your dedication is beyond amazing

Ditto! You are a true blue animal lover. This story couldn't have been written by the best writers in Hollywood. Imagine a show about a bunch of dog owners who are rooting for a tiny baby calf to poop, cheering when she does. Then the calf takes over the dog's spot in the house. All the time under the watchful supervision of the farm manager Cairn. Sounds better than what's on TV now.

Hope she improves and finds her own spot so Digger can have hers back.

Oh and thanks for the pics.

The name Gracie did seem to fit her well. I weighed her yesterday - 20lbs. Demps is 23. A normal calf - 70-80. In this video notice Dempsy's nature has totally changed towards the baby calf. I didn't get a good shot showing Dempsy curiosity when Gracie is sucking. Gracie stood up twice by herself yesterday. She still has her curve spine and notice her legs in front bow out. Gracie wags her tail and is starting to moo. On the last shot Gracie is thinking about eating some grass. She spent a few hours outside yesterday. The wind was horrible.

She needs to poo yet this morning. Gracie is a very happy calf. She thinks that she's ready for full house privileges. She is quite the character and is even a little bossy.

Jim keeps asking me "Now what?" "What are you going to do with her?" .... I don't know yet - day by day.

Elsie, Max, Meeko & Lori

Gracie now probably thinks she is a dog! Lovely video of how Dempsey is appearing to cheer her on............... but my her back is bent poor soul.

www.cairnterriertalk.co.uk

are you making history? what's the youngest/smallest calf that has survived for any length of time? evidently her digestive tract is fully formed. does she seem otherwise complete? certainly looks it. i read a vet comment that if they have fur when born they are viable, if lower incisors, even better.

she is very interesting. cows normally do not have many opportunities to explore much outside the barn or pasture. who knows what they can think of with the right stimulation (and perhaps a different job).

get her some diapers and a nicely reinforced bed.

Yes, that little back is so curved you might wonder whether she is part buffalo! So cute that Demps wants to play. It will be great if you can get her to the point where she can join Demps in a short zoomie.

Gracie is wearing me out. This morning I took her and Demps out to pee and pooh. Dempsy did his business, but Gracie only peed. Oh well, half is better than nothing - I put her down and she popped up and followed me around. I laid her down again and she popped up and trotted towards me. I have created a little monster. So she has mastered the standing up mode.

OK, I need a plan. Last night we had three more newborns and three yesterday so I have 6 in the barn. Today it is supposed to rain. I need to get these out to pasture before it rains. Then I will look at Gracies mom. Maybe get a pen ready for her and in a day or two I can give you guys a report - hopefully successful. If not plan B. ?

Gracie is a little Angus. No I haven't had time to do any research on premature calves. It would be interesting. I thought Gracie would be with me in the house for a week, but she is really moving right along. If nothing else she will need her own pen outside. She loves to walk. Otherwise, I would have to devise a big bandana...maybe Dempsy's would fit. In the last video, that's exactly what Dempsy was doing. He was saying, "See Gracie, you just make a fast move like this and run! Come on Gracie! Watch me again. There called zoomies and there really fun."

Elsie, Max, Meeko & Lori

I remain astonished at this story and your videos. I can see the change in Dempsy; now he seems to think Gracie is a potential playmate. A wonderful, touching story is unfolding here and we're all at the edge of our seats to see how it turns out!

One really gets the true picture on how small Gracie really is when Dempsey stands beside her. Hopefully Gracie's mum will accept her and relieve you of your motherly duties :P .

I admire you so much for trying to save Gracie from what would have been a certain death. It must be tough in a cow/calf operation to walk away but bless you for having such a warm heart and giving this wee calf a chance.

Until one has loved an animal, a part of  one's soul remains unawakened.  - Anatole France

Adventures with Sam &Rosie

Idaho Cairns

Demps is wanting to play with that calf in the worst way! Love it when that play and romp instinct come out in Cairns--hopefully in a couple of days Gracie can get into the fray. Great video but, oh that wind! We've been having the same thing for the last few days!

Gracie is just precious. I can see how my 3 would feel the same as Dempsey...wanting to play.

Keep up the good work...you're saving a life. :)

Max and Nelly
signature.jpg.1a2f02ae93418630654caf879c6d4783.jpg

Wow! I thought the calf I raised as a teenager was small at 40lbs. That is one teeny little calf. Dempsy wants Gracie to play chase so bad. I feel sorry for him. Great video.

I am worried tonight. Gracie hasn't pooed all day. We have gotten plenty of exercise ... thought that would help move her along. We have had three meals today and I am wondering what her digestive track in doing. I have no idea as to whether I am giving her to much, but I really don't think so. The last poo was yesterday late morning. Hmmm. Gracie has met alot of people today that have fallen in love with her. We went out to the barn and mom came to visit - she sniffed Gracie, but that was about it. I tried to eyeball and see if Gracie could reach the tit. Well ... I think she maybe could but mom would have to stand completely still. Took Gracie into the vets - the main vet was out - and the gal that was there didn't have to much to offer. Gracie gave a big playful jump while we visited, so cute. At 3:00 pm today Gracie was 3 days old. Our neighbor thinks that Gracie has Curly Calf Syndrome. I looked it up and it could be, but most all the calves are still born and the ones that live don't live long - really the only trait that Gracie shows of this genetic disease is the curve of her back. Ok, we will just have to wait and see. If Gracie would just poo I would be happy. She is such a little card. Just loved riding to town in the pickup and meeting people. She put on quite a show for them. I decided today - if mom doesn't work out - Gracie will be a pet. I haven't told Demps. We will just have to adjust things and make it work.

Elsie, Max, Meeko & Lori

I love the video of Dempsy wanting to play, how cute! They could be best friends and in your spare time (HA) write a children's book about the Cairn, the Lab and the Calf!

Thank you again Lori for sharing this with us!

Gracie is a very happy calf. She thinks that she's ready for full house privileges. She is quite the character and is even a little bossy.

Of course she is. She is being taught by a Cairn. Imagine that, a calf with a Cairn attitude.

We are rooting for Gracie to do her business. GO Gracie GO! Just do it!

Poor Digger. She has that resigned look, "I'm a Lab I can put up with anything." I just want to give Digger a big hug too.

Totally enjoyed see the video and Demps showing Gracie how zoomies can be done. Gracie seems to have adopted you as her mommy, but hopefully she can be reunited with her real mom very quickly. Hopefully Gracie can beat the odds...

No - he didn't think it was a bacteria but more genetics. A gene carried by the bull - if you look up curly calf syndrome if the bull has the gene and if the mom is a carrier baby will have it. This year we have had 3 what we thought were premies. The one out in the lot -all attitude and doing great; the one that we lost; and now Gracie. Hmmm.

Anyway - Gracie still hasn't went poo. On the last feeding last night I changed her formula. Took her off the cholostrum and put her on milk replacement. Thought maybe that would shake something loose. If I had been thinking I could of milked mom for her cholostrum - would of been better than the mix, but Jim says he doesn't think it would of made that much of a difference. ? Gracie is in great spirits - doesn't show any signs of distress. I am getting frustrated and I sigh alot. She needs to get it done today or I know for sure we are in trouble.

Grace has attached herself to my heart. I smile in the mornings when I am sitting in the other room and I hear Jim peaking in her room and says, "Good Morning Gracie! How are we doing today?" with a childish voice. Very sweet. He talks to Dempsy and Digger that way too so I know that he is rooting for Grace in a big way.

Elsie, Max, Meeko & Lori

Everyone here - folks across the U.S. and even across the pond - are cheering for Gracie! Tell Dempsy to take really good care of her today.

Everyone is rooting for Gracie. Her being raised with a Cairn so close will be interesting. I wonder if she will develop some Cairn attitude! I would love to see her play with Dempsy. Both of them are soooo cute. Good luck and keep us posted. I hope she poos soon.

As the one from across the pond I am hoping Gracie does OK - hope that Demps is taking good care of his new play pal!

www.cairnterriertalk.co.uk

How about a little Molasses to ease Gracie's constipation?

Until one has loved an animal, a part of  one's soul remains unawakened.  - Anatole France

Adventures with Sam &Rosie

Archived