CairnTalk

The battle is on

Dempsy's Mom

Today has been a busy day. I thought I might share a part of it. We had another premature calf, but this one is about the size of Dempsy. Poor little sweetie. Her chances of survival are extremely slim. We brought her to the house in a plastic feed tub and put a heat lamp on her. Right now she is all dried off and is sitting up in the entry. She's not shaking any more. Mixed up a little cholostrum, put it in a pop bottle with a lamb nipple. She took a couple of swallows. She will more than likely spend her days in the house. Dempsy is kinda sad. Doesn't know what to think about this little calf.

Meanwhile, since I have been spending time with her, I have two other calves born out in the lot. I like to catch them before they drop so I don't have to haul them to the barn. But that didn't happen so I am covered in mud, afterbirth and a slight scent of colostrum. Now doesn't that sound like fun on the farm.

http://youtu.be/mhI_aTCvIvA

Elsie, Max, Meeko & Lori

• Replies 117
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Ok, I just came in again and tried to feed peewee. She drank down her milk like a trooper! Dempsy was looking on just like he was witnessing a miracle ... and he was. I wish I would of had a video of that - Dempsy looking on just like he was encouraging her. The little calf drank about a 1/4 of a cup and she wants to stand up so badly. She wants more milk but she will only get small amounts until she poos. I will get up during the night with her and we will have to see what morning brings.

Elsie, Max, Meeko & Lori

Hope things work out well for the little calf. It does sound like hard, messy work. And Dempsey looks SO solemn and worried. :-(

A very precious sight, the miracle of birth and a calm Cairn to watch over the wee little calf.

Thank you for sharing the farm with us. I hope the calf does well!

She had a great pooh this morning and is standing. She is wide awake. Drank down her milk and now she wants to walk. Hmmm. Dempsy is still sleeping.

Elsie, Max, Meeko & Lori

Dempsy certainly looked concerned about the little calf. He probably senses the seriousness of the situation and is trying to help as best he can. Sweet little man you have there, Lori.

you and dempsy are doing a great job, we are all cheering for peewee. maybe demps can skip the therapy dog phase and go straight for a nursing degree.

I am always a little naive when it comes to sustaining life. It amazes me that I go to the same place everytime an animal is in need - over and over again, as the years go by and the animals come and go - if one is fighting, I am right there with them and that strong headed attitude comes out "that we are going to make it." You would think that I would let it go, but I don't and on rare occasions I am pleased with the results. As many of you know, you just don't want to give up. She has a curve in her spine that concerns me. But she has come a long ways in 12 hours. Today she will go out in the yard in the sunshine. She does carry her weight but hasn't walked yet. She will never be a calf of 1000#'s, but I told Jim, "If she makes it she can spend her days here on the farm as a pet." He is thinking, "Lori, we have planting to get done and we can't spend all our time on this dinky little calf." Well, he knows that I will find a way to get it all done. I so dread the day when Dempsy is in need, but he knows that I will be there. Or who knows, maybe Demps will be there for me. Life is a box of chocolates.

Elsie, Max, Meeko & Lori

Wow! Again, thank you for sharing part of yours and Dempsy's life with us. I thought I was going to have a busy day keeping Murphy from attacking the power washer as I clean pollen from my pool deck.

Definitely a miracle you have there, and I love how Dempsy kept watch. These dogs are truly special.

If you get the little gal to pet size, can you donate her to a petting zoo?

I am so impressed with this little calf her spirit. I now have moved in the large dog cage to give her a space of her own. We had a feeding and she has been standing for an hour. WOW I am excited. Dempsy did not like to see the cage come in - Demps says "Ok mom, she can stand. Can't she go back to mom now." "That's the goal Demps. Hang in there." I laid down cardboard - I have a bunch of old sheets & towels. I have high hopes that she can go back to mom. Mom is a nice cow and when the calf was born - she was surprised to see how tiny she was - she was so gentle when she licked him off. It was the sweetest. Jim says it isn't going to happen - that the calf will go back to mom - but stranger things have happened. I want to get one more video of Demps watching the calf suck and then I will taper off on my progress reports. Cloudy and damp out today so no back yard time for the calf.

PS: This morning I did wrap the calf up in a sheet and sat with her watching TV in the livingroom. I had never done that before ..... Anyway luckily Demps was asleep in his hut or he really would of had a "cow". :lol:

Elsie, Max, Meeko & Lori

Idaho Cairns

We are enjoying the progress reports, keep 'em coming Lori. Personally, I think as we get older life starts getting more and more precious--all forms of life. Least it has with me, I understand why you work so hard to pull this little guy thru and know it isn't all economics.

I sure hope you DON'T taper off on the progress reports!! It reminds me of my time at my Grandparents...in KS!! My Grandpa NEVER lost that spirit of helping the helpless! Had many a cow named, some after family members then others after teachers or friends...LOVED it!! I thank you for ALL your videos, etc! I think Demps has the LIFE EVERY Cairn desires!!! Mine would be right there with him.......helping??? Oh YES, HELPING eat, run, take charge...you KNOW the duties of a Cairn!! :thumbsup:

Love the expression on Demps face - he really looks worried about that little calf - so hope the calf continues to thrive.

www.cairnterriertalk.co.uk

If this calf does continue to thrive will the mother be willing to accept it back? I would bet that handraising a calf is a terrific amount of extra work in an already busy season. I helped bottle raise one lamb and quickly figured out that I don't have what it takes to be a farmer---well, that and I really like sleeping in late!

Kudos to you and remember to keep assuring Dempsey that he's still king of his domain.

George

What a wonderful Mum Dempsey has :hug: ... I am keeping my fingers and toes crossed that peewee makes it.

Until one has loved an animal, a part of  one's soul remains unawakened.  - Anatole France

Adventures with Sam &Rosie

Well it's been about a day and a half. Last night we had a couple over for supper and they fell in love with the little calf. She is over the hump, I think. I got a video last night, but I still want to get one of Dempsy watch her eat and then I will post it. You guys will be amazed. She eats 4 times a day, 2 T. of cholostum in 3/4 cup on water.

As far as mom taking him back. She would right now, but I don't think babe can reach the tit or that she is strong enough. In a couple of weeks? - I am not to sure that she will take him or even if he will be big enough by then. ??? But we have had success at pairing them up. Mom is still looking for her. I wish I could let her know that babe is tucked away in a warm house and doing well.

She is wagging her tail and is totally content in Dempsy's & Digger's home. I don't know where this road is leading but we seem to be at a nice rest stop before we start out again and come to a fork in the road and another decision needs to be made. Still a little puzzled as to what I should call this new member of the family? Dempsy is becoming more and more comfortable with her. Digger is a litte T'd off cuz' the calf is in her spot.

Elsie, Max, Meeko & Lori

Thanks for the update. Sounds like your little peewee is coming along well with the excellent care she has been receiving from you and Dempsy. I can't imagine a calf so small she can't reach her momma's teat!

So glad to hear she is eating and doing well. I thought of Miracle, too, but Grace and Sunshine ("Sunny") also seem to fit her.

Lori, your dedication is beyond amazing. I loved seeing the video of Demps and the calf, he really seems to be so concerned. Please keep us posted on peewee's progress.

Archived