CairnTalk

Favorite Cairn Color

bradl

What is your favorite Cairn color?  

271 members have voted

1. 1. What is your favorite Cairn color?

• black
    • black & silver
    • black & tan
    • clear red
    • cream brindle
    • red brindle
    • silver brindle
    • wheaten
    • gray brindle
    • cream

Berit has a nice page illustrating a sampling of Cairn colors. Good cream vs wheaten example.

Note that her sample names do not match one-for-one the list of colors AKC offers when filling out a registration slip. (Example, "rich red" is not an AKC color, but a fine description nonetheless.)

Because of the variability through time, if we have a dog with *any* brindling, we no longer even bother to note whether it's red brindle or silver brindle. We just choose the undifferentiated 'brindle' option to cover all bases.

Maybe it's just me, but when it comes to matching/choosing colors, I always need to see more paint swatches...My cairn looks like a " Red Wheaten" although apparently, no such color exists in the world of cairn colors.

FEAR THE CAIRN!

• 5 weeks later...
  • Replies 84
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I'm not picky. If I could, I would have one of each!!

Murphy was a gray brindle, but he seems to be morphing (or "Murphing") into a silver brindle over time.... B)

• 9 months later...
Idaho Cairns

After three wheatens we obviously like that color but our little Bonnie as a red brindle is awfully pretty. I'm much Betsy tho--I have never seen a Cairn color that I didn't really like as my daughter says with her black--"She's my Coat of Many Colors and I love her!" we are much that way ourselves. If it is Cairn it is wonderful--we've never seen one we didn't like--color wise at least.

Pegi also has many colors; she has a few gray streaks, some very light fur, and a little reddish. I have had several women stop me to say that they wish they could have their hair highlighted w/the light and red fur....hum, cairn hair...could be a winner!

Linda & Pegi

A child I see regularly calls Holly a "multi coloured" dog! I love her mix of colour and how it changes from when she is stripped to different again when the hair grows!

www.cairnterriertalk.co.uk

Baby Fly is mostly cream on her body (although it is changing as I type this to a more redish brown color). She has the cutest little silver face, but with black points on her ears and mane. She has a gray chest and gray feet (her chest used to be black)... and to top it all off, she has a red mustache. I have no idea what color she will be next month.

Wow! Wheaten is the odds on favorite!

I think in Zekey's case, you'd need to add Calico or Tuxedo to your categories! I was also looking for "brown brindle" Mish-mosh also works for him. :)

Idaho Cairns

Here is a picture of my daughter's black Cairn that shows the red brindle just under the black outer coat--this dog is less than a year old and I am curious to see how she turns out. Tho the dog is wet, you can see the underlying lighter highlights in the coat. I think it is a neat color and one that I haven't seen before.

DSC01614.JPG

• 2 weeks later...

No option for "whichever one listens best and does not destroy couch in process"?

"Did you ever walk into a room and forget why you walked in? I think that is how dogs spend their lives." - Sue Murphy

WallE was pure black when I got him, with a hint of red in his mustache. Hes now got a lot of gray throughout his coat, so id say hes black/gray brindle. Hes also got a white lightning bolt down his rear left leg :) Hes just 1 now, but he has the look of a distinguished, older gray haired man, lol! A George Clooney of pups!

After a day of rolling around in the sand, hes kinda roughed up here, but its a good shot!

38440_410854338058_502218058_4727121_1483061_n.jpg

Heres a link to a side view where you can see more of the grey and colours as well :)

http://sphotos.ak.fbcdn.net/hphotos-ak-snc4/hs187.snc4/37676_410852328058_502218058_4727055_3938589_n.jpg

Puntuation MAKES the post

Archived