CairnTalk

Favorite Cairn Color

bradl

What is your favorite Cairn color?  

271 members have voted

1. 1. What is your favorite Cairn color?

• black
    • black & silver
    • black & tan
    • clear red
    • cream brindle
    • red brindle
    • silver brindle
    • wheaten
    • gray brindle
    • cream

My Hannah and her pups covered every colour possible! But my personal favourite was Wheaton - a dark one.

However I have no doubt that what ever colour my next Cairn is will rapidly become my favourite!

:D

• Replies 84
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Tuk is wheaton. He doesn't have any black tips or black on his muzzle (except right under his bottom lip, but just a little!). I'd say he's wheaton with red. I looked at the chart and he definately fits the wheaton, but he does have some places where he has red showing like around his nose and down his back, but the hair on the top of his head turns really blonde (cream) right after bath/brushing. He was so cute as a puppy he had black tips all over his body, it was so adorable, alas they are gone. I voted wheaton today, but I agree whatever color my next Cairn is will probably become a favorite!

Sparky is black with tan tiger stripes and a very black muzzle and ears, so of course I'll say black and tan!

Sparky Jones & Scout Jones
ShannasCamera112-1-1.jpgSparkyScout-3-1.jpgScoutFloor-2.jpg

Sparky is black with tan tiger stripes and a very black muzzle and ears, so of course I'll say black and tan!

But you know that is just Sparky's color of the moment. Since he is a brindle he will change colors during his life.

Tracy, Amos, Walter, Brattwrust & Mettwurst a.k.a The Gremlins

Yup, I know, and that's part of the fun...always guessing what color he might turn out to be. I'm sure my favorite Cairn color will be whatever color he is at the moment!

Sparky Jones & Scout Jones
ShannasCamera112-1-1.jpgSparkyScout-3-1.jpgScoutFloor-2.jpg

• 10 months later...

My Molly is a Wheaten with black markings. It's so amazing to see her baby puppy pictures and see how she was mostly really dark and now she's only got a bit of dark on the tips of some of her hair.

I think Bailey (2 yrs) is changing some...when I first got him he was wheaten but now I'm finding more black and red on his back and his snout is getting blacker...he also has a white ring around the middle of his tail. There's also some graying going on. Whatever he decides is fine by me...just love the cairns!

Fergus is a red brindle so I'm biased.

A couple of you have mentioned a white ring around your dog's tail which Fergus also has, altho the older he gets (he's now 4), the less noticeable it becomes. As you guys are on the other side of the world, it can't be an inherited trait, so I have to wonder why? Any ideas out there?

Veni, vidi, velcro - I came, I saw, I stuck around

If I didnt know better I would have thought Jock was swapped from the 12 week old puppy I bought 8 yrs ago!

He was a lovely red brindle... so red that the breeder said had he been a she, the puppy would not have been for sale. By 4 Jocks was a golden wheaten...... by 8 Jock is now totally black faced, silver ruff around his chest and neck , with the undercoat on the rest of his body a strawberry red! I have had people come to our house that havent seen Jock for a few years and wonder who the new dog is! Does anyone know if there will be another coat change? ANd do all Cairns coats change?

Until one has loved an animal, a part of  one's soul remains unawakened.  - Anatole France

Adventures with Sam &Rosie

If you breed to a type, why is it a sin to ask for a certain color?

You like what you like!

And breeders shouldn't get their backs up over it !

I love all the colors - it's what makes the cairns sooooo interesting but I love the clear reds best of all and NOOO points!

post-3604-1247514169_thumb.jpg

Terrier Lover - your Jock sounds like Holly - she is supposed to be a red brindle but has dark face/legs [with ginger beard] and her body is a mixture but her undercoat is light red. And, she has a silver ruff round neck.

I get many comments about my multicoloured little dog!

www.cairnterriertalk.co.uk

Holly&Me,

I love Holly's coloring! We thought we were getting a black Cairn with Gypsy, she's turned out to look like a Westie, almost. It's like a grab bag, you just don't ever know!

Let me introduce Saffron.... look at her color. My guess is she will be a wheaten with dark points. Both parents are reds, Dirty Harry has dark points Sugar has some dark on the muzzle not much, eyes aren't open yet.

post-291-1247596742_thumb.jpg

She is only 2 weeks old in this picture but you get a good look at the color here

Here are the Parents, as you can see Sugar was a bit unhappy about the situation and Dirty Harry well he is very happy! They are reds with a wheaten undercoat. They are really not groomed in this picture but you get the idea

post-291-1247597445_thumb.jpg

Liz

Rebel, Hammurabi, Sugar, Dirty Harry, Paint, Duncan and Saffron

I love all colors but I've had 2 wheaten so I guess I favor that color the most, our newest is Dixie and she will be 5 mo. the 24th............WHAT A SWEETIE !!!!!!!!!!!!

post-4129-1247869196_thumb.jpg post-4129-1247869064_thumb.jpg

Cosy's wheaten so I guess I'll stay loyal to her. Frankly, I just love that Cairns come in so many colors!

"There is no psychiatrist in the world like a puppy licking your face." ~Ben Williams

**I'm a cairn lover for life!**

• 2 weeks later...

My Maxwell is a red to dark red brindle with black markings and dark points. He's got loads of colors in him: red, wheaten, black, silver and they all seem to be in different proportions depending on the day

Mama was a red brindle, but daddy was a dark brindle.

Maxwell is just a little guy now. Its really strange to think about how his coat will change as he gets older - probably grow darker. Its also strange to think that he will look so different once his hair grow in. I'm so used to the funny, spastic ear hairs and short coat!

My Zachary is has been at the silver brindle stage for the past few years and I just LOVE it. Although it is difficult to find Cairn things with the silver brindle coloring. He still has his wheaten undercoat.

I will admit I am VERY fond of a nice, rich red when one comes along. The bitch I am currently specialing is a lovely red color, and her sire (Watson) is black with a red undercoat...just gorgeous!

Kintra Cairns

Home of Multi-Group Winning Ch. Paragon's Stately Affair CD RN CGC "Zach"

And ZaZa, the Min Pin

Canine Chronicle article - "Through the Storm" about my first journey to Westminster

/>http://www.onlinedigitalpubs.com/publication/?i=31613&p=205

I honestly don't know what color Louie is. It says Wheaten on his paper, and he was very blonde when we got him, but he gets redder and darker over time! Still not a lot of black. I wish he had more black around his eyes. I love "manliner" :lol:

Just checked the chart that was provided earlier.

Overall, right now I'd say he's red, with some rich red, some wheaten, and very slight black/gray on ears and mixed in with his muzzle.

I'm not sure what color Pepper is. She has a light wheaten-like color, red, silver and brown in her fur on her body. Her head is mostly silver and gray with a dark beard. Her breeder called her a wheaten, but her mom was a red brindle. One question I had about the brindle classification is do the individual hairs have to have a color variation or is just having dark hairs in "stripes" mixed in the fur make a dog a brindle? post-4359-1249157922_thumb.jpg

I love all the colors but my first Cairn, Missy was a solid black. Beautiful coat, ears straight up what a beauty she was.

This was Missy when she was very young

Missyinpink.jpg

Kramer when he was around a year

new001.jpg

current

dea5341f-1-1-1.jpg

He has a few colors going threw him as well. His face has the silver and I do seem some red/gold streaks threw his coat. I get a lot of compliments on his coloring.

Rhonda,Kramer & Angel Missy "Blessed is the person who has earned the love of an old dog". "It came to me that every time I lose a dog they take a piece of my heart with them. And every new dog who comes into my life gifts me with a piece of their heart. If I live long enough, all the components of my heart will be dog, and I will become as generous and loving as they are" Missy Rainbow Bridge Memorial
/>http://www.indulgedfurries.com/petdiabetes/memorium/missy2.htm

My Shaaba is a BEEAUUUUTIFL rich red (I might be a little biased, though). However, he's not even six months, so I guess I haven't seen his "truuue, colors, shining through..." yet. I have to say though, I really like a red brindle.

Archived