CairnTalk

Favorite Cairn Color

bradl

What is your favorite Cairn color?  

271 members have voted

1. 1. What is your favorite Cairn color?

• black
    • black & silver
    • black & tan
    • clear red
    • cream brindle
    • red brindle
    • silver brindle
    • wheaten
    • gray brindle
    • cream

• 3 years later...
  • Replies 84
  • Created
  • Last Reply

the points point is interesting. a lot of people call light red brindles "wheaten" (i see wheaten got the most votes too). i was told by some breeder or referee or something that wheatens have no points --a light colored dog with dark points is a brindle, probably red. true wheatens will look like westies --in fact they often get mistaken for them.

i voted for the toto package --gray brindle. i've never had one, but i think they are my favorite anyway. sorry redmon (proud red brindle with points).

Beg to differ. Wheatens are ever-so-slightly darker-- and often a tad redder than creams.

Hey, I have been asked whether or not my red brindle and gray brindle (dark masks) were WESTIES!

Ah, might we be splitting hairs :twisted: ?

I begin to think that it's pretty subjective anyway.

Jill

Questions, questions, questions...

Yes, cream has been left off the choices.

Would red wheaten be clear red?

I would love to see a picture of a black and tan. Does anyone have one or can anyone direct me to one?

And what about good old grease rag brindle/wild boar?

WOW, Jill, have you just been waiting for this conversation to be resurrected to make one of your rare appearances here? I always enjoy your posts, keep 'em coming.

Gray brindle with black points, of course.

George

I would love to see a picture of a black and tan. Does anyone have one or can anyone direct me to one?

Meet Rocky.

I'll add cream to the poll. I will not add tartan, however, lest we start a clan war.

CAIRNTALK: Questions? Need help? → Support Forum Please do not use PMs for tech support
CRCTC: Columbia River Cairn Terrier Club 

Wow, that black and tan is seriously cute. I'll bet they get asked if it's a Yorkie a lot. Geez, we even get asked that with Packy!

Jandy and my Cairns, Kirby & Phinney 

I've never been clear on the brindle classifications - Rocky's a brindle but I'm not sure if he's a silver brindle or a gray brindle. He has a teeny bit of red in the undercoat of his back, but the rest of him looks black & tan to me. Can anyone look at his photo & tell me? He does have black points...

If you think you are too small to be effective, you have never been in bed with a mosquito

Here's a better picture of Rocky - let me know what color you think he is-

post-3208-1203878581_thumb.jpg

If you think you are too small to be effective, you have never been in bed with a mosquito

I've never been clear on the brindle classifications - Rocky's a brindle but I'm not sure if he's a silver brindle or a gray brindle. He has a teeny bit of red in the undercoat of his back, but the rest of him looks black & tan to me. Can anyone look at his photo & tell me? He does have black points...

Nancy, I'm confused by gray or silver brindle too. We've always referred to Sophie as a gray-brindle. Her gray varies from real light (silver ?) to real dark (almost black) and she is now showing more red under those 2 colors than she did when we first got her 11 mos. ago. As you can see, she has a black muzzle and her feet are black. She will be 2 yr. in April and I hope her coat doesn't change too much, we really like it the way it is.

BAILEYSOPHIE4-22-07002-1.jpg

Jim, Connie, Bailey & Sophie

FLOWERCHILD-1-1.jpgBAILEYSOPHIE4-22-07002-1.jpg

WOOF! Eli, here.

I must be dumb. :huh: I do not know if I am wheaten or cream. My ears and nose are black.

Don't tell the Alpha B that I don't know. :whistle:

WOOF!

Eli B)

I'm still trying to figure out what color my little girl is! lol I like all of them, though. I think Cairns are very special dogs! They told me that she would change color through out her life and end up looking like her momma when she is older.. which is black and silver...

Wheaten because that's why my Sandy was. His color used to change all of the time though, sometimes he was white, sometimes he had some red in him.

Wow - thanks for the great photos! Sophie has almost the exact same coloration as my Rocky. What a gorgeous girl! Whatever type of brindle they are, I love the colors. To me, it's black & tan but then you do get a little red thrown in in the undercoat. Looking at Sophie reminds me I need to get Rocky to the groomer.....:)

Speaking of undercoat, how wide to the colors vary? I ask becasue I've really only seen the tanish undercoat so far on a few Cairns. Mett and Bratt have the same shade of undercoat but are different shades of brindle... Metty is a Cream brindle with a locket of white on his chest. Bratt is well.... maybe a red Brindle? and also has a locket of white on his chest.

But it changes so I just go along for the ride.

I love a brindle, but i'd have to say the most striking dog i've seen is Dogwood Love Affair (Romeo), he is a Cream/Silver Brindle....I think!

Keep your eyes peeled, he shows up on the televised dog shows on Animal Planet often.

Tracy, Amos, Walter, Brattwrust & Mettwurst a.k.a The Gremlins

Berit has a nice page illustrating a sampling of Cairn colors. Good cream vs wheaten example.

Note that her sample names do not match one-for-one the list of colors AKC offers when filling out a registration slip. (Example, "rich red" is not an AKC color, but a fine description nonetheless.)

Because of the variability through time, if we have a dog with *any* brindling, we no longer even bother to note whether it's red brindle or silver brindle. We just choose the undifferentiated 'brindle' option to cover all bases.

CAIRNTALK: Questions? Need help? → Support Forum Please do not use PMs for tech support
CRCTC: Columbia River Cairn Terrier Club 

sheila and Misty

Ive had blackbrindle and wheaten brindle and loved both colors but I must say the eyes show up way better in wheaten

So hard to pick just one!! Had to pick black and silver for Harry, but I think he's really a dark brindle, not one of the choices. And Gracie is red, I guess, according to that great chart.

Makes me want one in each color! Gracie has a lighter ring on her tail, anyone ever seen something like that? Wondering if it will still be there when her full coat grows back in...

• 1 month later...

Gidget has a white ring on her tail about one third of the length from her behind. When we got her, about six weeks ago at 5 months, she was described to us as a red wheaten. Since we've had her, the red's really come out, and I have to say she's that rich red on the chart. She also has the black points.

Archived