CairnTalk

Shakes

lyric35

Poor child! I don't know how I missed this thread previously. Please let us know what's happening with Kiko.

Tara, Olie and Teddy's Mom

Max and Nelly
signature.jpg.1a2f02ae93418630654caf879c6d4783.jpg

• Replies 108
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Hoping Kiko is having some better days and doing better... from your last post I hope to hear an update soon. I'm so worried for you and little Kiko! Our best wishes and prayers go out to you.

Kate, Darcy & Bailey's mom

post-1225-1137732025_thumb.jpgThank you......All of you! We've had our hands full over the past few days with puppy and people stuff (father-in-law ill). Here's the Kiko update:

The last I spoke, I had to take Kiko to the Animal ER for dark, tarry stools. At that time they took a sample testing and found that her coccidiosis was all clear and there were no longer any parasites. They of course found blood in her stools and she's now on flagyl for 5 days to clear that up. They suggested that we do a bile acid test to see how her liver was functioning and to rule out any liver shunt possibilities. We did that and the results came back NEGATIVE!

I can't tell you how relieved we were. We have yet to discuss the particulars of the results, but we were happy to get that news. Our internist let us use our local vet for the bile acid test so they local vet was able to observe her after not seeing her for about 2-3 weeks. He was amazed at how progressive her tremors and muscle contractions had become but felt strongly that Kiko had cerebral hypoplasia. (I thought, "something else now").

Cerebral hypoplasia can be congenital or can be caused by the distemper virus. It's a "nonprogressive" disease meaning that it will not get "worse" with time and often pets with it can still make good family pets. It's up to the family to determine the "quality of life" of the pup. He was convinced that this was Kiko's condition.

So......Kiko is off of the albon (toxcicity) off of the amoxicillan (coccidiosis) , Off of the procainamide (muscle weakness- it had no affect on her) and is on the flagy. We'll discuss with her doctor the possibility of treating her tremors if possible. I would kind of like to give little Kiko a rest from all of the meds and just let her grow a little!

She still exhibits those surprising moments of "aggression"- could be she just doesn't want to be bothered. (I've been reading up on dog body language!)

She's crate trained! Hasnt pooped in her crate for about 2 weeks. We need to introduce her to the outdoors though (ugh).

She's still on the low protein Science Diet...hoping to wean her onto dry food to eliminate the soft stools.

Otherwise she still running and playing (tremors not visible while in motion). I'll have to take some new pictures of sweet Kiko to share!

Again I can't thank alllll of you enough for your thoughts, prayers, advice, emotional support and all! I feel really blessed!

post-1225-1137732026_thumb.jpg

Glad things are looking up and that your pup is feeling better. :)

For the progression to dry food, mix in a few pellets at a time - it makes the transition easier. And the pups like the "crunchy" aspect of the food. :)

Wow, what a trip, eh?

We are also glad to hear that things have settled a bit. I bet you are exhausted. How blessed Kiko is to have such caring kind parents as you. Hang in there. Our prayers and thoughts to you all.

Val

It just breaks my heart that this beautiful little baby has been through so much. You guys are TREMENDOUS in how much you obviously love her and are giving her so much care.

We'll keep praying for Kikko!

I am so sorry that poor Kiko has been through all of this but I am thankful that she found a home with people who would do all that you have to make sure that she was getting better. You guys are great parents and I know that she appreciates all that you have done for her.

Will continue to pray that things continue to get better.

We give dogs time we can spare, space we can spare and love we can spare. And in return, dogs give us their all. It's the best deal man has ever made.

-M. Acklam

Savannah's Dogster Page

Hi! I am terribly sorry to hear about Kiko and all that you have been through - - - My Riley was diagnosed at 4 months of age with a liver shunt - - - is now almost 3 years old and thriving - - - but I wanted to address the "aggression" Kiko is exhibiting. When Riley was very sick he would be aggressive even toward my children - - we couldn't pick him up to cuddle him - - - my vets explained that sometimes the dog is in pain that we are not aware of and will act out with aggression or sometimes just want to be left alone. As Riley got healthier - - his aggression lessened - - we now can do just about anything to him and he lets us!!!!!! Needless to say he gets a daily dose of kisses!! Hoping Kiko continues to get healthier - - will be thinking of you.

Guest Darcy's Mom

I've been following this thread for news of Kiko's recovery. I'm so relieved that her medical condition is not fatal. We have a mixed JR terrier/Scotte that survived Parvo, so I can relate somewhat to what you have been going through. Thank God she is getting better. When you are feeling down about her condition, just try to think that she is your special little girl that was sent to you to care for. How lucky for her that her family is willing to do all possible to save her.

My prayers continue for Kiko's successful recovery and to grant your family the strength through this difficult time.

Please keep up posted on Kiko.

Well we're back from visiting my inlaws after 6 days. Our babies were in our local vet Kennel.....I'm sorry to say that I'm not sure how well they took care of Kiko..though I'm trying not to come to any hasty conclusions.

Her tail was caked with poop as well as dark streaks on her belly....Is this the usual care a Kennel gives? She was happy to get home; my daughter placed her in the sink to get her washed up. ...after giving her something to eat. She ate a little and tried walking but kept flopping on her front paws.

By the time the bath was complete, her whole body from head to toe went into convulsions. We placed her on the carpet and she was unable to move at all- with the exception of her convulsions she was as limp as a wet rag. we tested her responsiveness by getting some kibbles and placing them under her nose but her jaws remained clamped tight. We wrapped her in a warm towel where my daughter is holding her while she is apparently sleeping but body still undergoing these twitches and convulsions.....

I want to cry......I'm trying to wait this out to see if she awakens perky.......

Please pray for her ......and my daughter....

post-1225-1138236474_thumb.jpg

It just breaks my heart that this beautiful little baby has been through so much.  You guys are TREMENDOUS in how much you obviously love her and are giving her so much care.

We'll keep praying for Kikko!

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

I am so sorry that poor Kiko has been through all of this but I am thankful that she found a home with people who would do all that you have to make sure that she was getting better.  You guys are great parents and I know that she appreciates all that you have done for her.

Will continue to pray that things continue to get better.

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

Hang in there Kiko. Things will get better. Best wishes to you and your family.    :halo:

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

THANK YOU ALL SOOO MUCH!

From the sound of your post I would not hesitate calling your vet right now. I will be praying for Kiko.

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

Thankyou..... still awaiting word from the vet..... We weighed her when she awoke...still weak but able to support her head. She ate a little when spoon fed. She lost a pound. She was 4lbs when we left her and now she's 3 lbs. I suspect that they probably put a bowl of food in front of her and walked away without seeinf if she were eating.......

Keep praying for little Kiko

but I wanted to address the "aggression" Kiko is exhibiting.  When Riley was very sick he would be aggressive even toward my children - - we couldn't  pick him up to cuddle him - - - my vets explained that sometimes the dog is in pain that we are not aware of and will act out with aggression or sometimes just want to be left alone.  As Riley got healthier - - his aggression lessened - - we now can do just about anything to him and he lets us!!!!!!  Needless to say he gets a daily dose of kisses!!  Hoping Kiko continues to get healthier - - will be thinking of you.

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

Yes I think you're probably right about that....right now I wish she would growl or bark or something.......

I'm so happy to hear about Riley though!!!!!! What relief that must have brought your family! I'm so glad that happy endings are possible!

Thank you so much for the encouraging story!

Hi! Yes - - - happy endings are possible but it took a lot of determination and investigating on our part to make that happen. When Riley was diagnosed by our local vets they told us to "put him down". He had major liver shunt problems and surgery was necessary but very risky - - not much hope of a good recovery. We loved our little guy - - just as you love Kiko - - and that was not an option. We persisted with our inquiries and finally were referred to a vet at the Cornell Animal Hospital who was an expert in liver shunt surgery. They gave him a 50-50 chance of survival. He was found to have two major liver shunts and several smaller ones but they managed to ligate the larger ones - - he was critical for several days - - but with a lot of prayer and a lot of luck - - he pulled through. We watch what we feed him - - only dog food (Solid Gold for small breeds - - a holistic dog food)- - and sometimes hamburger/rice boiled - - but he is now almost 3 years old - - weights 18.3 pounds and is full of energy. He does have episodes now and again where he won't eat and may even vomit a lot of bile - - but all in all - - - he is a little rascal!! Here's hoping you find a solution to Kiko's problems and a possible happy ending!! God bless!!

:pray::pray::pray::pray: for little Kiko. Savannah sends puppy kisses and wishes for a quick recovery. Please let us know what the vet says!

We give dogs time we can spare, space we can spare and love we can spare. And in return, dogs give us their all. It's the best deal man has ever made.

-M. Acklam

Savannah's Dogster Page

Archived