CairnTalk

Shakes

lyric35

Scully's mom, do you know what Rito was ill with?

If my memory serves me correctly, I believe he had the Parvo virus. She had purchased him from a pet shop who had sold other ill dogs in the past. It was a horrendously long ordeal for her. She returned him to the pet store; they wouldn't give her money back; they kept him in the back of the shop without medication, etc. Long story short, she decided she wanted to keep him and went and got him back and he went through whatever treatments he needed.

I think of your baby so often - please know we'll keep :pray:!

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

Thank you Scully's mom! I really appreciate your sincere prayers and also the encouragement that gave me!

Kiko sends hugs and kisses

• Replies 108
  • Created
  • Last Reply

More prayers for little Kiko. She sounds like a little fighter and I am sure that she will make it through. Savannah sends love and puppy kisses. Please continue to keep us posted!

Did the vet mention how long it usually takes to get over?

We give dogs time we can spare, space we can spare and love we can spare. And in return, dogs give us their all. It's the best deal man has ever made.

-M. Acklam

Savannah's Dogster Page

More prayers for little Kiko.  She sounds like a little fighter and I am sure that she will make it through.  Savannah sends love and puppy kisses.  Please continue to keep us posted!

Did the vet mention how long it usually takes to get over?

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

Just checking in to see if there is any more news.  My thoughts are with you.  Hoping Kiko is doing well!

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

Count me in as somebody checking in for news on little Kiko.  Hope all is well.

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

(((((HUGS))))))) to you, your family, and Kiko.

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

Hi everyone!

Kiko is having the usual abnormal day. The shakes are continuing, her stomach seems to be less distended also.

We're noticing bouts of aggression which could be her showing her sassiness or we're wondering if it could be the development of something called hyperesthesia (hypersensitivity to touch).

I don't want to be a self diagnoser though so I'll just say that she's been growling for no apparent reason other than that someone has touched her. In general she eats up our hugs and kisses so this kind of throws us for a loop when it happens. For now it's relatively infrequent. Right now she' growling at my daughter! (bearing fangs and all) We put her on her back and say no while staring her in her eyes.....it doesn't seem to work

If anyone has any experience with this type of agression, please let me know

A puppy if recovering can show symptoms for a variable amount of time. 2 weeks to 3 months. But as expressed, we'll usually have lingering side affects like the myoclonas (contractions and muscle twitches). More severe cases can even be left with brain damage or other neurological symptoms.

I just read today about some homeopathic therapy ( I think I said that right). I'll let you know what I find out. I'll be placing a call to the vet tomorrow to ask more specifically about length of illness, who can we tell if Kiko is recovering or if the disease is progressing.....

hugs and kisses from Kiko!

Some interesting reading below:

http://www.neurovet.org/VIDEOS/Myoclonus.htm

http://www.nativeremedies.com/petalive/vip...-treatment.html

http://www.nativeremedies.com/petalive/vip...-treatment.html

I'm going to go out on a limb and suggest that you consult a veterinarian who specializes in the symptoms Kiko is showing. I do not mean to say that your vet is not doing everything possible but he probably doesn't have the equipment or tools to treat Kiko effectively.

If I were in pain or extremely uncomfortable, I'd growl too....that is not a good sign in a dog who is normally gentle and loving.

Please don't go the homeopathic route....I honestly feel that Kiko needs some immediate care in a facility that can deal and treat his complicated symptoms.

Just my $.02 worth of caring advice.

Please let us know what's going on...we all worry so much about our Cairn families.

I too am coming in late on this sad news. Please know that Harry and I are thinking of you and praying for Kiko!!

Also, my 2 cents about the growling. My pup growled at me when he was not feeling well after he had received his puppy shots. I think Kiko just doesn't feel up to being moved and it's not due to an aggression issue in this case.

Wishing for a full and fast recovery!!

post-1225-1136514850_thumb.jpg

I'm going to go out on a limb and suggest that you consult a veterinarian who specializes in the symptoms Kiko is showing. I do not mean to say that your vet is not doing everything possible but he probably doesn't have the equipment or tools to treat Kiko effectively.

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

Our vet service was actually very good about referring us to an internist where she was seen a week ago. We would only inquire about homeopathic medicine under the care of this internist. They are the ones that determined that Distemper was the most likely cause of her symptoms. We were sent home with the additional prescription (procainamide) and instructions to just wait and see if anything respiratory occured (coughing, vomiting, runny nose). We thought that the procainamide was going to treat her muscle tremors but upon research discovered that it's not an anticonvulsant but is used indirectly to treat muscle weakness. Further research told me that myclonus (tremors and muscle convulsions) are not treatable! But this came from my own research. These are questions I will pose to the internist tomorrow.

Would this be a sign of pain or discomfort? For example, I thought she had something in her mouth, so I went to retrieve it and she went into a growling, head twisting fit! When I handed her to my husband she stopped and was completely fine!

I hope you get all the attention and answers you need when you visit the vet today. Please keep us updated. I know how sad it is when you can't seem to help them! All my best.

Maggie

Kay and Lisad, I think you're right about the discomfort and not wanting to be bothered at the moment. We'll have to begin learning her personality.

For multiple Cairne owners, we have a male spaniel and female cairn. Any suggestions on the gender of a new cairn?

post-1225-1137218005_thumb.jpgEmergency room visit today.....Kiko had dark bloody stools...We're doing the bile acid test tomorrow. She's off of the amoxicillin- no more coccidiosis. We're emotionally drained and getting financially drained too......

help....

Oh, I'm sorry to hear that. What will the bile tests show in terms of diagnosis/treatment? I am not at all familar in that area.

I hope you know you can log onto us at any time for moral support. Please keep us posted on Kiko and you too.

I think of little Kiko so much....as I do you and your family. This has to be so very hard and I'm so sorry you're going through this.

I don't know if this would be the same thing in animals, but dark bloody stools usually means internal bleeding. This is what happened with my dad.

It just breaks my heart to see such a pretty little thing hurting like this. Continued :pray: going for all of you.

Our thoughts are with you. It's scary when they are sick. At least you are now figuring out whats wrong...thats a big step to recovery. Good Luck

Tena

Sophie

Image032.jpg

My thoughts and prayers are with you and Kiko.

I sure hope they can get your baby well soon. It is hard enough just having a new puppy sometimes, let alone having to deal with such a severe illness. My heart truly aches for you having been thru some major sicknesses with my own dogs recently.

Please keep us posted.

Cathy

Cathy and Piper

I am praying for Kiko and hope that you guys can get her to feeling better very soon. i am also praying for you and your family as I can only imagine the strain that something like this can put on a family. Please update us when you can. :pray:

We give dogs time we can spare, space we can spare and love we can spare. And in return, dogs give us their all. It's the best deal man has ever made.

-M. Acklam

Savannah's Dogster Page

Archived