CairnTalk

Night distress

josie&holly

Holly has been waking up between 3 and 4am each morning now for the past three weeks, and she has been very distressed - barking, crying, moaning and pacing round the area she sleeps in. This has gone on for a couple of hours at least each morning and affecting my sleep. Holly sleeps in her bed on floor next to mine with a wooden folding gate across end of bed to wall to prevent her roaming.

So have tried various remedies, have seen if she wanted out but no, tried Bach Rescue Remedy and helped for a few nights, rhen earlier this week went to pet shop and got some doggy herbal calming stuff but that did not work.

So went to Vets yesterday and she gave her a good physcial examination and said she was healthy and good weight. The Vet gave me some Xanax as she felt that would help with the anxiety. So gave ber one last night before we went to bed. Holly woke at 4am but did not cry or bark as much so I ignored her and went back into a deep sleep (normally have just ended up dozing and listenng to her!) but when I got up this is what I found -

http://www.flickr.com/photos/jod1947/11906867924/

Not sure what to do next! Do not know why she keeps waking at this time, have a feeling that some noise spooked her and now it is habit.

Edited by josie&holly

www.cairnterriertalk.co.uk

Maybe you should give the dog its freedom on a non-work night and simply observe or try to observe what it is that  she is focused on every night.  That might give you a clue about the change in behavior.

I do not work! Am retired. Did spend some time awake a couple of nights before Holly woke up a couple of weeks ago and could not telll what was the cause if anything. Hve downloaded a free voice recorder app on to my iPad and will leave plugged in tonight.

However distressed she has been she has not been destructive until last night/early morning. Holly is a laid back quiet Cairn normally.

So unsure whether the Xanax made her worse or not. Until three weeks ago she would go to sleep about 11pm and would not know she was there until I woke up anytime from 7 to 8am so this is a big change of habit.

Edited by josie&holly

I could not tell from the picture if there is food and/or water available for Holly in her "space".  Normally when our dogs get up at night and leave the bedroom it is for a drink of water.  Is it possible that Holly could be simply getting thirsty at night?

She has water available but never drinks in night, there is always same amount in dish in morning.  In fact Holly does not drink very much at any time.

Thinking of just giving her the Xanax when she wakes not at bedtime.  I do not give her any fuss when she wakes [did at first though].

and try to keep her awake in evening, would take her a quick walk round block but raining most evenings here though she has two good walks a day.

Have been advised to ask Vet about Melatonin or Vivitonin.

Edited by josie&holly

Really interesting behavior--it takes a determined effort to chew thru wood to the extent that Holly did on that gate.  How about some type of vermin--is it possible she is reacting to a mouse out and about the home after dark?  There has to be some motivation for her to want to get out of her pen that much.

Well they say Cairns are determined so she certainly demonstrated that. Took me a while this afternoon to collect all the bits up, and then use the hand Dyson to collect splinters! Am amazed she did not hurt herself.

Sorry, no vermin in my little two bedroom house!!

Edited by josie&holly

Sure hope you can get a handle on her source of distress--she is obviously determined to be free of her constraints at night.

Maybe no vermin inside the house but how about under it or in the roof? How old is Holly? What is the weather like where you are? Could it be distant thunder?

Taffy, Reuben, Annie, Moondoggie, Lexie, Walter, Joey, Tonto, Earl, Beebo, Fuzz, Mr Bean.  And a whole bunch of cats.

Holly is ten. No thunder at present in this area though there might have been three weeks back when if started. Nothing in roof which js fully insulated. Do not have an underneath as such that is accessible by anything. I live in a semidetached house in UK in what you may call a urban area.

We had a heavy frost last night, but is raining this evening.

Will set this voice recorder on iPad tonight see if hear anything on that could wake her.

Is there a chance that someone has something on , in your house or your neighbour that is a low frequency that she can only hear? I know Jock would go crazy if the smoke detector would even beep. Someone on this sight a while back had a similar issue and if I remember correctly there was something that only the dog could here. Wish I could remember. Obviously something is really stressing her out around the same time so I would focus on what noises could possibly be upsetting her so much. Can you bring her into your bedroom at night?

Until one has loved an animal, a part of  one's soul remains unawakened.  - Anatole France

Adventures with Sam &Rosie

Maybe you have started talking in your sleep?  Or something like that?  Maybe she is sensing something about you and trying to tell you?  (or maybe I have been reading too many National Enquirer pet rescuing owner stories...)

My doggies often sense things I don't, and carry on about them.  I remember for a time there was this very weird large wild turkey living in a neighbor's back yard -- possibly got lost in a storm -- and all of the neighborhood dogs were crazy over it.  Then suddenly one day it was gone.  But while it was there it would make these odd honking noises at dawn every day and the dogs would get riled up.

Maybe follow her and see where she goes when she is upset?

Edited by arseovrteakettl
  • Like 1

Taffy, Reuben, Annie, Moondoggie, Lexie, Walter, Joey, Tonto, Earl, Beebo, Fuzz, Mr Bean.  And a whole bunch of cats.

Hiya Josie,

I'm sorry I have no advice to give but I truly hope you can get to the bottom of this quickly. It is strange behavior for sure, and moreso for a quiet dog such as you describe Holly.  I hope it is something silly and easily remedied.  *good thoughts*

Holly sleeps in my bedroom and does nit have free run of house at night. Did not give her the Xanax until she started this morning at 4.30am and about thirty minutes lates she was quiet, but did not go to sleep but just sat in her bed.

I put the voice recorder on last night (found an app for iPad so left the iPad plugged in) but there was nothing on it after my Good Night!

So assume it is now a habit which have to break which as you know is difficult with a Cairn!

It is hard when they get fixated on something. Once Lola saw a spider, which ran behind our couch. I pulled out the couch while the menfolk climbed up on chairs.  :whistle:   Lola got the spider. Still, for about a week afterward, she would try to squeeze behind the couch, and kept sitting there, staring in between the couch and the wall. Nick was convinced there was another spider, but there wasn't. Lola was just on the lookout for more.

The breaking of the gate is alarming, though.  Hopefully you've seen the last of this nighttime distress.

I just did a quick search on the forum for noises and PK had posted this. I still wonder if there is a change in someone's routine or as PK suggests a tree or?

something is going on in the house or the neighborhood that you are not noticing. somebody has a car whose engine sounds different, there are new voices, a tree is brushing the house, construction noises (maybe from far away), somebody has a new dog, whatever. it clearly doesn't scare spencer but he is curious and probably thinks it is best to mention whatever this thing is. once he is used to it or it goes away he will probably stop. he's making small talk, basically.

Until one has loved an animal, a part of  one's soul remains unawakened.  - Anatole France

This is so odd, Maisie started to wake up very early in the morning for three days in a row last week, which is very out of character for her, she usually sleep very well at night.  In the morning, she usually just lays in her crate until I open the door, but for 3 days last week Maisie woke every morning at 4:30 and cried to be let out.  I would let her out, bring in to bed with us and she would just sit there for a while and eventually go to sleep.

I thought it was going to be the beginning of her wanting to sleep with us every night but on the 4th night, things were back to normal.  Not sure why this was happening, maybe she was hearing something, not sure I'll even find out now.

On another note, re: Valium.  We once got a prescription from the vet for our Lab ........ it was a long time ago so I forget the specifics behind it.  We gave him half of the recommended dose (thankfully) because he had a very strange reaction to it, he was very nervous, not like him at all.  Please be careful if your still giving it to Holly.

Hope Holly is back to herself soon.

Linda

Edited by LindaMC

Since you can't seem to find an external cause for the change in her behavior...

Did your dog have the rabies vaccine just prior? Flea/tick preventative? Heartworm pil

Did the vet suggest lab work? Other than the physical exam did he think it was indicated...

Have there been any recent changes in the household? Someone leave or come back?

Do not have rabies vaccine or heartworm pills in UK. Vet did not feel need for blood tests. No changes in household as only me!

Yes, she is a senior and that may well be relevant as a couple of people have suggested medication for senility. However, she is perfectly fine, happy, during the rest of time. She has no other problems.

I have asked my neighbours if they have noticed anything different in neighbourhood but nobody has noticed anything. The dog next dog has not changed her habits.

So it all remains a mystery though am convinced that there was some sort of different noise when it started just before Christmas and now it has become a habit. Just wish I Holly could get rid of this habit!

Edited by josie&holly

Whatever is causing it, I wish you luck in riding her of the habit.  You must have been so freaked out when you saw the fence she broke, she wanted out of there......curiosity of the Cairn.

I wonder if you give her a biscuit before bed time if that might help. Who knows perhaps a rumble empty tummy is bothering her.

Thanks Terrier Lover, this was suggested to me a couple of weeks ago so she now gets some of her kibble before going out and having the biscuit she has always had before bed! She thnks it is great that she extra food (well not really as I reduced the dinner amount slightly!) and then goes out and has her bedtime biscuit!! Though have tried it before and after her biscuit/trip round garden for a wee, but does not make any difference.

My Beagle, Molly age 14, has developed Canine Cognitive Disorder.  She started pacing and whining continuously and would reach a fever pitch in the evening.  Before Christmas it was HORRIBLE - plus we had a very sick kitty and were also trying to go out the door for a 1 week vacation in Cabo.  We tried prozac and Xanex.  The Xanex made it worse, but she now takes a tranquilizer (can't remember the name) that knocks her out for the night.  We are weaning her off the prozac as well.  Melatonin works to calm her somewhat and is not harmful for these senior dogs.  She is much improved at this point with her pacing and whining and sleeping past 6:00 AM in the morning.  Today she woke up at 7:00 AM!  YAY!! I will try and post the name of the tranquilizer when I get home. I am at work now.

Pepper's Mom

Our experience (summarized).  Trazadone, tranquility blend with kava, and acupuncture.  Holly does not sound like she's really at that late stage though. I do know dogs will know about critters we don't know about. Our dogs were doing a lot of deck snorting and we'd hear the occasional "critter bark" but could find nothing. I put out rat traps anyway and Lo' ... three so far. When the water rises in the community pond (er "lake") nearby I think they may take the Sewer Highway and go visiting in the neighborhood.

I know when it rains we often have ducks camped out in the front yard. Fortunately the dog' line-of-sight is all to the backyard.

Good luck finding the mystery distraction! I know it's hard to sleep when our dogs are in distress of any kind.

CAIRNTALK: Questions? Need help? → Support Forum Please do not use PMs for tech support
CRCTC: Columbia River Cairn Terrier Club 

Molly the 20 pound Beagle gets 1/4 - 1/2 of a 10 mg tablet of Acepromazine 2 hours before bedtime.  It has really helped her restlessness, pacing, whining.  She sleeps through the night so far with this medication.  She can't hear anymore and will stand at the wrong side of a door and gets confused.  If her routine is messed up she goes into a meltdown.  It is called Canine Cognitive Disorder (CCD).  Hard to watch.

Pepper's Mom

Fortunately Holly does not display any signs of confusion, not in the day, snd she is not confused when she wakes in nght, just distressed and restless. Am seeing what half the Xanax does tonight and can give her other half when she wakes then try ignoring her. Not easy though.