CairnTalk

Night distress

josie&holly

Well I am very happy to have peaceful nights now! And am very very sure that Holly is happy to have a good nights sleep with out a beep unpsetting her.

It just reminds me though thaf when you are hard of hearing and live alone, how difficult it can be, but having Holly makes all the difference to your life.

I should have i investigated cause of her distress further by getting someone in to stay for hours and see they heard something! But am so very glad my niece came to stay!

www.cairnterriertalk.co.uk

like others, am so glad that the problem was solved. If we,  humans and animals don't sleep well, we don't function well. Glad you had a nice visit with your niece.

Cool that so many of us suspected it was something like this going on.  What a bunch of Sherlocks we are.

I too was wondering how it was going, and glad to know the mystery is solved.

Taffy, Reuben, Annie, Moondoggie, Lexie, Walter, Joey, Tonto, Earl, Beebo, Fuzz, Mr Bean.  And a whole bunch of cats.

Josie,

I feel the sound of relief in your words. Glad that you and Holly will be sleeping soundly from now on.

The fact that Holly, while following you out to the garage, was shaking and barking at the offending "chirp monster," tells me you have reached the proper diagnosis!  

I would be doing the happy dance for sure!!!!   :thumbsup:  

Wishing you and Holly the sweet dreams and restful nights you deserve!

So great that you have found a solution.  Our alarm system "chirps" too when the batteries are low, and Allie was terrified of it, trembling and whining.  And she could hear it before we could...

I will bet that nights will be much calmer for you both from now on.  Thank goodness your niece decided to visit!

The smoke detector???? Wow. Glad you got it figured out, who would have thought? Darn that you can't hear it. They are meant to be ear piercing to wake people up. If there is a real emergency Holly will hear it and alert you. Poor little Holly and you can get some rest now.

I read over this thread and realized Idaho did mention smoke detectors and alarms. And you checked. If only your hearing was better you could tell. Holly does help you out by letting you know about noises you can't hear. She is a good little helper.

The thing was that the smoke detecter that was making the sounds was not flashing for months, normally they chirp and flash, so that is why I never thought of that one as just thought it was dead! 

And yes, though Holly has never been trained as a"hearing" dog she is brilliant at alerting me to the phone, the oven timer, the rubbish bin blowing over, people going by house, cats sitting on front doorstep, post,  etc.  And though at times she barks too much I would not stop her as she obviously feels I need to be told about these things..... :)

• Like 1

www.cairnterriertalk.co.uk

Was worried when I saw your name that I'd open to find her issues were back.

Still so glad you finally figured out what was wrong so both of you can sleep soundly again. And so glad you have Holly to alert you to things you can't hear. At some inconvenient times (usually the middle of the night in our apartment complex) Addie barks too much but when I scold her I swear she's saying "WHAT?!?!? YOU NEEDED TO KNOW!" Sounds like Holly takes her job very seriously. 

• Like 1

"as far as i am concerned cairns are the original spirit from which all terriers spring, and all terriers are cairns very deep down inside." pkcrossley