CairnTalk

Night distress

josie&holly

Years ago my childhood Maltese would freak out at a random but specific time in the morning, every morning. We could not for the life of us figure it out. Turned out a pair of raccoons had taken to raiding our trash bin at the same exact time every morning. We NEVER heard them, but found evidence of their chew marks on the bin, and I stayed up all night once to catch them in the act. Could be something similar with Holly. 

Since waking up seems to have become a habit, and she's getting destructive about it, have you considered changing her sleeping habits to break this new habit? Perhaps move the location where she's allowed to sleep? Place her on the opposite side of the bed? Put different bedding down? Put her in a crate? Just trying to think of ways that might confuse or alter her habits enough that she forgets this 4:30am habit when it comes around.

Edited by _whits_
  • Like 2

"as far as i am concerned cairns are the original spirit from which all terriers spring, and all terriers are cairns very deep down inside." pkcrossley

Went back to Vet this morning for a quick chat. Mentioned Melatonin and it is not licensed in UK for behaviour problems only for skin issues. Someone on UK Forum suggested asking about Vivitonin so we discussed that and we are going to try it. The vet had to order it so will go back for it tomorrow. It is for aging behaviour issues.

• Like 1

www.cairnterriertalk.co.uk

I should have said that Melatonin is not licensed for Dogs in respect of behaviour problems. The Vets can dispense it in respect of skin problems, hair loss and seizures if they are affecting dogs. The Vet I go to has never prescribed to any patient in fact.

You can buy it for humans on Amazon and other places but would not want to use anything intended for a human on a dog

"... would not want to use anything intended for a human on a dog"

We have used both aspirin and benedryll on our dogs and when we had a Cairn with diabetes, the insulin we used was the same as dispensed to humans--matter of fact the prescription was under "Ginger Heisler" at Albertson's pharmacy.  The trick is the dosage, not that the "human" medicine is dangerous or ineffective for dogs.   I know nothing about canine quality Melatonin but I suspect it is the same substance as used for humans.

To me it seems like Holly is reacting to something and wants to get out of her enclosure to investigate it.  Were she my dog, I would leave her out of the enclosure for a night and see if it still happens, and if it does, see where she goes to investigate and see if there is something I could do about it.  If that didn't work, then I would consider things like medication.

• Like 3

Taffy, Reuben, Annie, Moondoggie, Lexie, Walter, Joey, Tonto, Earl, Beebo, Fuzz, Mr Bean.  And a whole bunch of cats.

Well the medication is not doing anything as yet! She is no longer trying to get through an barrier but is still barking and crying, s am trying ard to ignore her and go to sleep!

Keep trying tomkeep her awake during day or evening, busy playing or walks but makes no difference

She sleeps about three hours generally, but a couple of times it has only been jst over an hour, then another time she has skept for five hours.

If I open the barrier she rushes to top of stairs and starts to bark until I take her downstairs, so then I think she wants to go out, open door but either she will just go for a run round garden and back in or just stand and look at me as if to say what is that for! So we go back upstairs and she starts to cry again. If I leave her in kitchen she barks loudly so she is better upstairs when she just cries and grumbles.

I refuse to stay in living room with her at 3am or 4am and try and sleep on sofa as it is not suitable for that And cannot leave her on own in there as there are books, papers erc around that she chews if bored.

However, if I put television on to watch something interesting then that is the time I can fall asleep on my sofa!!

Edited by josie&holly

Oh Josie, I'm so sorry this is happening. I cannot imagine what is going on with Holly. For this to be going on for a month - you must be utterly exhausted!  I wish I had something constructive to say!

I think I would have a look in the attic. She is hearing something.

• Like 1

Until one has loved an animal, a part of  one's soul remains unawakened.  - Anatole France

Adventures with Sam &Rosie

Sorry we do not have an attic!  We have a roof space that is well insulated and inaccessible from outside.  Had a friend go up and look round.

Yes, Autumn I am tired so keeping hoping these tablets work or something does!!

Ok no attic but I am always amazed what little furry creatures can access through the most impossible wee holes. How about bats.? Flying around

Until one has loved an animal, a part of  one's soul remains unawakened.  - Anatole France

Adventures with Sam &Rosie

Pure coincidence, but Lola woke up Nick this morning around 4:30 a.m. I had forgotten as I was 99% asleep. He just reminded me as I was reading him this thread. He said there were birds chirping outside.

Hey Josie, how about YOU taking the sleeping meds?  Then she can bark if she wants to and you'll be sound asleep! :)  I swear if Lola wasn't so anti-dog, I'd offer to take Holly for a few days just so you could get some sleep! 

That must be really frustrating.  She seems a bit young for sundowning, don't you think?

Do you share walls with neighbors?  Or is it a detached house?  Quiet or noisy neighborhood?

Wonder if they have earplugs for dogs...

Is Josie another dog?  If not, why not try getting one : )

Edited by arseovrteakettl

Taffy, Reuben, Annie, Moondoggie, Lexie, Walter, Joey, Tonto, Earl, Beebo, Fuzz, Mr Bean.  And a whole bunch of cats.

Josie is me!  the house is semi-detached so we share a wall with a neighbour, fortunately the insulation is good between the houses, and if Holly is in my bedroom there is also a built in wardrobe between me and them.  Have asked them about noise but nothing changed with them and they say they have not heard her in night!  It is a quiet neighbourhood.

And, no do not want another dog, sorry but I go and stay with relatives and friends who happily accept one dog but would not care for me taking any more.  Also, do not want two dogs waking me up! :ermm:

Edited by josie&holly

She work at about 3am this morning, barking but then she just grumbled (euh, oh, huff, euh etc) for about an hour, meanwhile I ignored her and dozed off and then went to sleep until she barked again at 6am but then she went quiet and I slept for an hour. The odd thing is when I have a look over edge of bed with out putting light on she always seems to be sat upright, not asleep.

She does not seem to be doing the pacing and panting so much now so whether it is wearing off or tablets having some efect I do not know!

Edited by josie&holly

Dunno, could go either way, maybe depending on what the cause is. I've had dogs who were much, much calmer in a crate. My guess was that when loose they felt they had to "defend" the entire open space available to them, but when buttoned up in a crate they felt relieved of duty. 

I sure wish dogs could talk sometimes. 

• Like 1

CAIRNTALK: Questions? Need help? → Support Forum Please do not use PMs for tech support
CRCTC: Columbia River Cairn Terrier Club 

Putting crate has helped my dogs. But then they have all been crated since they were puppies. Their crate is their safe spot at home on when travelling.

However if Holly has never been crated that might be another story.