CairnTalk

wandering/barking at night - sundowning

Bonita

My Spencer is 10-11 yrs old and is not wandering/barking at night.  It just does not stop.  the vet gave us Valium but I worry this could become habit forming.  I also tried the Thunder Shirt but that does not seem to do the trick.  Anyone got any ideas about this so we can get some sleep?

Do you punish him in any way when he wakes you up?  I think I would be inclined to put the dog in the bedroom with me, keeping him close and preventing him from wandering during the night.  It also makes it easier to discipline the dog when he wakes you up if he is within sound of your voice and grasp.  When our dogs do this (and they sleep with us) we have an immediate "Come to Jesus" meeting over their barking--consequently we are rarely awakened by barking.

I wanted our dog to sleep in the bed with us when he got a little older, but he was on such high alert that one teeny tiny noise from outside he would be up on all fours, barking his fool head off.  Only lasted one night.  

We crated before and crated after.  He's able to shut down completely and everyone gets a good night's sleep.

Also, being an older dog (thinking of my sleeping habits as I grow older) maybe he's not sleeping as well as he did a few years ago?  Maybe he has to go to the bathroom in the middle of the night? Maybe try taking his water up earlier and a few more frequent trips to water a tree before bedtime and see if that helps.

Not getting a good night's sleep is no fun!

Possble to take him for a long, exhausting walk before bedtime.  I'm learning from experience that the key to a good night's sleep (his and mine) is exercise.  When I think he's tuckered out, we keep going.  We have had good nights, except for the neighbors arguing at 2 AM, but that's another story.

Hope all goes well.

• Like 1

Please visit Dickens at "The Daily Dickens" at http://www.itsthedaughter.blogspot.com.

I have Spencer in the family room and I have opened up the sofa bed so he can sleep with me but he does not stay asleep for more than a few minutes.  Then he moves all over the bed, sits and stares.  Sometimes I can feel him shaking.  Valium helps for a short time as I only give 1/4 tablet, but I sure would like a permanent solution.  I don't believe it is a discipline issue.  During the day (most days) he does  not have a problem although yesterday was an on again off again and I can send him out of doors.

Possble to take him for a long, exhausting walk before bedtime.  I'm learning from experience that the key to a good night's sleep (his and mine) is exercise.  When I think he's tuckered out, we keep going.  We have had good nights, except for the neighbors arguing at 2 AM, but that's another story.

Hope all goes well.

Hi Bonita.  Cairns do seem to need wearing out.  My babies are very old now, and they still need the stimulation.

They're just made that way....and I love the way they're made.  Glad you're here on the forum. :)

---------------------------------------

Please allow me to apologize...you're not talking about a puppy.  Whenever pups or kitties have been

bothered that way it was usually a health problem driving them to distraction.

Unless someone else has mentioned it, it may be time for a trip to the vet.

I hope you and Spencer find some answers...with great love and compassion,

Tara

Edited by tlwtheq

Max and Nelly
signature.jpg.1a2f02ae93418630654caf879c6d4783.jpg

there seem to be a few other threads on related topics going on now. in general pacing and barking are signs of anxiety which can be caused by environmental factors but can also be caused by medical issues, particularly rising intracranial pressure (sometimes associated with "sundowning"). valium is commonly used to control the behaviors. i agree with others that it is important to investigate and try to resolve any environmental factors that could be making spencer anxious. but it is also important to keep investigating the medical issues, particularly if his symptoms are starting to show up in the daytime. there are all kinds of causes for intracranial pressure, but it is a symptom you want to treat if you can, as it can cause anxiety and some peripheral pain.

valium is not habit forming. if it is not helping spencer sufficiently, the doctors may move on to other meds --perhaps prednisone or mannitol to lower intracranial pressure, perhaps phenobarbital or a related drug to control the agitation. drugs like that are "habit-forming" in that withdrawing them suddenly is hazardous (they can be tapered off), but if you need them you will find that they work very well. dogs get used to the side effects and return to their normal behaviors and personalities within a couple of weeks or so. not so say that the meds are necessary for spencer, just that you should not hesitate to use them if the doctor feels they are indicated. 

• 3 weeks later...

Had a vet visit last Friday.  All seems well and Spencer was not a bit anxious.  Vet suggested trying a pheramone spray for calming him and some drops for his anxiety.  At first, they seemed to work very well.  Have even got back into walking although he does more sniffing than walking.  This all may have something to do with the fact my husband has been ill for a very long time and died just two weeks ago.  Maybe it is just old age (he is 10 or 11 yrs old). Spencer has never been really active and I don't know what kind of environment he had other than abusive before we rescued him 6 yrs ago.  He has also taken to following me everywhere.  This is new behavior.

Very sorry to hear of your husband's illness and passing.

A similar thing happened after my OH passed away. A JRT who was close to him since a puppy changed in behavior. She sat at the bottom of the stairs each morning waiting for him. She would not come to me or react to me. She went off her food. She wandered around. All our dogs were always crated at night so she couldn't wander then. She would have been about 8 or 9.

It was a month before she came to me when I called her. She lived till she was nearly 15 but not lively like before.

I learned then that dogs do grieve.

"This all may have something to do with the fact my husband has been ill for a very long time and died just two weeks ago.  Maybe it is just old age (he is 10 or 11 yrs old). Spencer has never been really active and I don't know what kind of environment he had other than abusive before we rescued him 6 yrs ago."  Bonita

Bonita, I think you might have answered the question with this.   I guess I would suggest that you simply give the dog time to adjust to the changed environment in your home--no doubt that the passing of your husband is going to unnerve the dog after six years of companionship.  The restlessness, nervousness, watchfulness can all be expressions of a dog waiting for a beloved person to return to the home.  I think I would try to tolerate the behavior a bit longer until the dog adjusted to his new life. 
My Cairns are very uncomfortable when either one of the two humans aren't around--particularly if the absence is extended to a few days -- as much as any dog I have had these Cairns seem to need the environment to be predictable and complete.

I'm very sorry for your loss and suspect this might well be the root of Spencer's behavior--the following you around makes sense in context with the passing of your husband as does the alertness at night.  Give Spencer time.

So very sorry to hear of your husband's passing and your loss. 

I agree very much that the changes could be related. I've also seen that older dogs sometimes begin to stay closer and closer as they age, until they are constantly underfoot. I sometimes think some part of it may be related to a gradual loss of vision and hearing, because they also seem to get louder.

CAIRNTALK: Questions? Need help? → Support Forum Please do not use PMs for tech support
CRCTC: Columbia River Cairn Terrier Club 

i am so sorry for your loss. spencer will be very attuned not only to his own bereavement but to yours --he will be taking a lot of cues from you. as brad says, expect him to be close all the time, even if it is inconvenient, until he feels you have both regained your footing. please take care of yourself. spencer will help you any way he can. 

• 2 weeks later...

We have a senior Beagle that is very anxious.  We tried the Clorapramine to calm her down - it worked too well.  She was a zombie.  I was giving it to her every 12 hours, but would suggest just at night....  Anyhow, turns out she had a SEVERE uti which was causing a lot of the wandering, staring, moaning, etc.  Also started her on Metacam for back issues - she is now a NEW dog!  Runs and plays and interacts at the dog park with Pepper!  Still being treated for the uti but getting better.  Anyhow, the Clorapramine worked and might be worth asking your vet to try for a week or two to see if it helps.  Good luck.

Pepper's Mom

Bonita, How painful a loss!  I'm so glad you're here with us.  I believe your instincts about Spencer are correct.  He needs you,

and you need him, I think.

Bless you, and please stay with us for comfort.

Tara

Max and Nelly
signature.jpg.1a2f02ae93418630654caf879c6d4783.jpg

How is it going with Spencer? 

We went through hell trying to find something that helped Haggis when he started what seemed a lot like sundowning at 16. We tried Anipryl (selegeline) for several months, but it did nothing. In desperation (under the care of a vet) we finally found that a small dose of Trazadone at night helped him sleep well, without turning him into a zombie in the day. He also took "tranquility blend with kava" at bedtime and had acupuncture every other week. He had no further issues at night and seemed quite comfortable until other age-related factors overtook him.

• Like 1

CAIRNTALK: Questions? Need help? → Support Forum Please do not use PMs for tech support
CRCTC: Columbia River Cairn Terrier Club 

I too am very sorry for your loss.  I think Spencer senses the loss of your husband.  He is probably nervous and anxious about it.  That's why he follows you around.  I don't know alot - but I have been around animals enough to know that they are very much in tune with life.  Dempsy knows when Digger (golden lab) is in pain or when I am in pain.  The cows sense when another one is in trouble and they all gather around.  It is amazing.  I have no answers, but give Spencer a long hug and a kiss from Demps and I.  I wish I could calm him for you.  And while you're at it give yourself a hug from us too. :hug: Best wishes.

• Like 1

Elsie, Max, Meeko & Lori