CairnTalk

Found a 9 year old male I want

Lynn in TN

Aww looks like little Molito found another home. Great for him but bad for me. 

I haven't made it that far in the process yet so It's not for me. I guess I will keep looking. I did see a six year old girl I liked in PA.

my Application has forwarded home safety inspection team. So I guess I start the home inspection as soon as I hear from them.

I hate how long it takes because once I make up my mind I want it NOW! haha I'm a Cairn myself.

I can understand the process though and wish everyone had to go through this to get any kind of pet. In a town next to ours a renter moved out and left his dog behind in the house, no food no water. the owner of the house found the dog dead. After reading that I cried all evening and haven't stopped thinking about it today.

Well, I shouldn't have done this but I sent a nasty-gram to CPCRN about this and told them that's why

I quit.  If they don't want people to get their hearts set on a certain dog then they shouldn't publish

pictures and give a play-by-play status for each dog.  And yes, I do find it irritating that I know NO ONE

who has ever gotten the dog they asked about.  It's as if they have a policy against it. :mad:

Sorry, don't want to upset everybody; I should just fume to myself.

God bless you and your family, Lynn.  I know you'll get a lovable, loving Cairn some day.  Just maybe stop

looking at all the pictures and bios.

Tara

Max and Nelly
signature.jpg.1a2f02ae93418630654caf879c6d4783.jpg

Tara - I'm just curious...don't you think it's good that they post pictures and status reports for the dogs? Isn't that what peaks people's interests and motivates them to fill out adoption forms? I know in my case I didn't realize the lengthy process or I would have started long before we were actually ready to adopt. It's shocking how many dogs are looking for homes and I imagine many are available one minute and adopted the next. But I know you have had much more experience with the organization and from a different perspective.

Lynn..I'm just like you. When I make up my mind on something I became very impatient!! Although you had your heart set on Molito for whatever reason it wasn't meant to be. There's a little cairn out there just waiting for you to find them!! And keep in mind once you pass the home inspection they'll start sending you reports and pictures of dogs that haven't even made it to the site yet. Wishing you all the best!

And so sorry to hear about the dog in your town. Heartbreaking how ruthless people can be.

Edited by jo_

Jo, Jagger & Eddie

jagger_julytomarch.jpg

My quote ended up below the reply and I don't know how to fix it; sorry.  I guess I just think CPCRN should make it

crystal clear that the probability of getting the dog that won your heart in the first place is just this side of zero.

Tara - I'm just curious...don't you think it's good that they post pictures and status reports for the dogs? Isn't that what peaks people's interests and motivates them to fill out adoption forms? I know in my case I didn't realize the lengthy process or I would have started long before we were actually ready to adopt. It's shocking how many dogs are looking for homes and I imagine many are available one minute and adopted the next. But I know you have had much more experience with the organization and from a different perspective.
  • Like 1

Max and Nelly

Lynn, I'm so sorry to hear that Molito already found a home.  On the bright side, though, your application is in the works and progress is being made.  Smile and stay positive - a furry little guy will come your way eventually. :wub:

Idaho Cairns

I've had my issues with Colonel Potter but, in the end, they do good work supporting a good cause.  I assume they are entirely a volunteer outfit and final decisions about dog placement subject to all the many problems associated with getting things done.  Most of the work is probably done by a few and their attitudes and prejudices rule the day.  I always try to remember that these are, like me, Cairn people and like most Cairn people I know they reflect their dogs--stubborn, independent, and focused which is understandably how the organizations runs.  Also they have a network of volunteers that foster these dogs, make all the arrangements for vet care and housing of their little charges--that necessarily creates a certain possessiveness I suspect.  Those foster people must know plenty of Cairn fans in their communities so the placement of a young, healthy, attractive Cairn like Molito probably wasn't hard.  I mean, if you had him as a foster wouldn't you like to keep him close at hand after an adoption?

So Lynn, accept the missed opportunity but try to understand that rescue people are a special brand of folks--they wouldn't take on this difficult chore of bringing in a wonderful little dog only to have to eventually give it up if they weren't big hearted and loving people.  I try to focus on "what" they do rather than dwell on "how" they do it.

I'm sure your day will come with another Cairn and remember two years ago as we all met you the first time, got caught up with your hunt, discovery, and long exciting wait to get Kelly in your hands and home?? If CPRN could have somehow seen into your heart and soul they would have express shipped little Molito to you in a heart beat but, alas, they can not know that.  Be happy this little guy is placed.

I think my attitude is going to remain one of a deep, deep appreciation that there are people and organizations like CPRN who gather in, heal, soothe, nurture, and protect Cairns from all the dangers that fall on unwanted and uncared for dogs.  We are all better today because these people exist and take on such good work and God only knows how much better thousands of Cairns are for them.

• Like 3

You all are such wonderful loving people and I Thank God I found this site 2 years ago. It never fails that when I have had a bad day, you all are here for me.

I have seen so many on Col.Potters sight that I would be happy with. Vreni would be my next choice if she is still there and I make it that far. I may not even qualify. A lot of places look down on people that live in mobile homes, and I don't have a fenced yard.

Thank you all so much for caring.

Lynn,

I saw Vreni on the Col. Potter website-adorable. I like to just look. Eventually, I will get another one as well. 

• Like 1

I do know how you feel. When I wanted Angus I wanted him right away!!!

I think the Col Potter group do a lot of good work under difficult circumstances. They do post this notice by each dog that is pictured.First you get approved then you can request a certain dog but this does not mean you will get it.

I'm sure a cairn will come your way if you keep looking.

Please note our applications are not for specific dogs. Changes in status during the application process do not mean the dog is yours. Requests for specific dogs occur after you have been approved to adopt during the MatchMaking Process.

5386-1.jpg
5386-2.jpg

I can understand why a fenced yard might buy some bonus points but it shouldn't be a deciding factor, nor should the fact you live in a mobile home. I'm sure there's lots of dogs in mansions with acres of fenced yards that live miserable lives. There's plenty of ways to exercise and entertain a dog without a fenced yard. I don't know you personally, but from what I've seen on this forum over the last couple of years any dog would be lucky to be part of your family Lynn!!

• Like 2

Jo, Jagger & Eddie

jagger_julytomarch.jpg

I think they have changed the language since the last time I looked, 4 years ago.  It still does not

address the "probability = 0" issue.

Max and Nelly

Lynn, the right dog will come along and will be perfect for you-just like Kelly. She found her way into your heart and so will your next little sweetheart/terror or do I mean terrier???? Well, they all describe our little cairns. It will happen. Keeping our fingers and paws crossed for you.

Re fenced yards.We've never had fenced yards. The dogs have been boundary trained if possible and if they unreliable (Angus!) then they are walked out on a leash to do their business.

I know of more than one dog (including cairns) who has escaped from a fenced yard by digging, squeezing through a corner or climbing over. Fencing does not always equate with security.

And fencing can mean turning the dog out and leaving him/her.

When I looked for Angus some people turned me down at once when I said I didn't have a fenced yard, even though we've had dogs in unfenced yards for many years and never lost one.

I can understand why a fenced yard might buy some bonus points but it shouldn't be a deciding factor, nor should the fact you live in a mobile home. I'm sure there's lots of dogs in mansions with acres of fenced yards that live miserable lives. There's plenty of ways to exercise and entertain a dog without a fenced yard. I don't know you personally, but from what I've seen on this forum over the last couple of years any dog would be lucky to be part of your family Lynn!!

Which is exactly what I said to Col. Potter when I chewed them out.  Also made sure they knew Lynn had no idea of

me contacting them with regard to her application.

Max and Nelly

Sorry to hear Molito is no longer available, but don't give up Lynn.  Continue with the application process and keep an eye out...something will come along. I will continue to keep my fingers crossed that you will find your next cairn.  

Re fenced yards.We've never had fenced yards. The dogs have been boundary trained if possible and if they unreliable (Angus!) then they are walked out on a leash to do their business.

I know of more than one dog (including cairns) who has escaped from a fenced yard by digging, squeezing through a corner or climbing over. Fencing does not always equate with security.

And fencing can mean turning the dog out and leaving him/her.

When I looked for Angus some people turned me down at once when I said I didn't have a fenced yard, even though we've had dogs in unfenced yards for many years and never lost one.

Same here.  We didn't have a fenced yard when we adopted Buffy from a local shelter and it wasn't one of their requirements, but many of the organizations I contacted would only allow us to adopt if we had a fenced yard.  After we added Ziggy to the household we also added a fence.  I admit it's much more convenient than having to take them out on a leash and it's more enjoyable to have them "working" in the yard with me, unrestrained.  That said, a fence is no guarantee of safety.  Gates can be left open, dogs can dig (and climb) and it's easier to let a dog out and forget about him or her.

A dedicated dog owner is going to be vigilant, with or without a fence.  

• Like 2

How frustrating indeed! I totally understand the need to carefully screen people, however, when an experienced Cairn or terrier owner wants to adopt a Cairn, and a senior dog to boot and you with good references, is denied a dog who needs a loving wonderful home, I thing protocol needs to be definitely looked at! We here in Alberta don't have any such adoption centres for Cairns and I wonder where they land up...I have only ever seen one at the humane society. All I know is that any terrier type that comes into the humane society is adopted out first before any other type of breeds.

It is a shame when there is such a great need for good homes for these wonderful dogs and red tape and "procedures" stop the process. The thing I don't understand is that you can't necessarily have the dog you have chosen? What's that all about?

Until one has loved an animal, a part of  one's soul remains unawakened.  - Anatole France

Adventures with Sam &Rosie

He wasn't denied he was adopted by someone who got through the process before I did. It could have been the foster for all I know. It does make it frustrating to see a dog that is perfect for your family and before you get through the process it is adopted by someone else. 

I understand their process and even though I am disappointed, I am still glad that they make you walk through fire (so to speak) to adopt one of their dogs. I see to many news stories about neglected dogs and cats. Maybe this process helps to stop that.

They will be calling me for a home inspection soon, and I will be interviewed. If I make it through this process with a passing grade I will pick one of the other Cairns they have.

What makes it frustrating is the dog that makes you want to got through this process is normally adopted out before you get through the process, and you have to choose another. The other dogs they have are really far away from me, at least a full days drive one way. To pick one of the others up will take 2 days total drive to get them home with me.

• Like 1

Lynn, I am so sorry you weren't matched with Molito. I so hope you are matched with a dog because you definitely deserve one.

Based on my personal experience with CRUSA, it seems as though CRUSA is most concerned with finding a good home and less concerned with requirements like no kids, fenced yard, own home. Do consider them if things with Col. Potter don't work out, or perhaps even in addition to your application there. You're welcome to list me on any application with CRUSA (PM me if needed).

They currently have 3 boys in TN and might have more going through the foster system.

"as far as i am concerned cairns are the original spirit from which all terriers spring, and all terriers are cairns very deep down inside." pkcrossley

a sweet disappointment --molito will land safely, but we are sorry it won't be with you. your approval will be good for a while, and you can wait for the dog that is right for you. fortunately the cairn breed is full of super-cute, super-smart, loving little folks who for all kinds of reason end up homeless. you can wait for the dog that is right, including close enough for you to actually meet. the right dog will turn up and you will be waiting.

Sorry to hear you didn't get Molito. Another Cairn will come along completely unexpected. You will get a phone call out of the blue and there will be a dog waiting for you and Kelly.

The shelter I got Malcolm from requires fences depending on the size of the dog. Chihuahuas and teacup size dogs do not require fences. Dogs the size of Cairns and slightly larger also do not require fences.

Knowing how a Cairn will take off and run means a fence is necessary for a Cairn living in a city like Malcolm does. There is a busy street 1/2 block down from my house. Out in the country where you don't have to worry about cars hitting your dog and even your children for that matter a fence doesn't seem necessary.

Good luck.

Sorry Lynn you didn't get Molito, but on the bright side I am sure he has gone to a good home and will be well looked after, your chance will come and by the sounds of things will be a perfect match.

They are clearly a popular breed, I have never seen a cairn in rescue here in Aus, much coveted, which just proves how wonderful they really are.

Edited by Lizzie&Addie

Lynn, so sorry you didn't get Molito.  There is a little one out there who perhaps needs you even more and he/she will come to you in time.

<<I know of more than one dog (including cairns) who has escaped from a fenced yard by digging>>  CHECK!  Molly did this.

<<, squeezing through a corner>>  CHECK! Molly did this.

<<or climbing over.>> CHECK!  Well, she didn't get over, as the fence is 6ft. But she did TRY!

<<Fencing does not always equate with security.>>  

Neither does a 6ft wood fence with a 4ft cyclone fence behind it, chicken wire at the bottom, large stones along the perimeter and mounds of dirt packed tightly into any tiny spot. 

The only thing that is (nearly) foolproof is watching them like a hawk! :D

• Like 1

States on Facebook that Molito adopted today. Sorry about you not gettting him Lynn but hope you are successful with another one!

www.cairnterriertalk.co.uk