CairnTalk

Found a 9 year old male I want

Lynn in TN

With fingers crossed I filled out application for Col.Potter Rescue.

I found a Male Cairn born 4/24/2004 I would like to have. He is beautiful, but I have a 10 year old son. What are my chances? One thing in my favor is I have a Cairn already. I have been looking for a while now, but they always seem to be so far away. This one is in TN but still a long drive, but worth it. 

So is there very much difference in a 9 year old Cairn compared to a 2 year old?

What are the differences between a male and a female Cairn?

• Like 1

Great, I hope you get him... I have noticed the female cairns do tend to 'boss' around the boys.

And the boys put up with it. Well my boys do when there is a bossy girl around. ;)

Edited by Lizzie&Addie

Like Liz says, it's been our experience that our girl can be pretty bossy to our boys.  So I wouldn't

worry about that.

On another note, I've applied for a Col. Potter pup before, and been a home inspector

for the group as well.  I have yet to hear of anyone who got offered the dog in whom they showed interest.

Col. Potter is kind of funny that way.  Just like others said, I hope you get

your pup.  Maybe the group is different than it used to be.

Addendum:  like Idaho Cairns said below, strictness of the Col. Potter organization

is a good thing.  I had to enforce that as a home inspector.  Just wanted to prepare you

for possibly not getting the pup you've fallen in love with.  I've seen people really

hurt when that happened.  In one case, I tried several times to call a lady (whom we gave an A+ rating),

just to check up to see how she was doing and how the adoption went.  I know she had

her heart set on one particular dog. She never picked up the phone or returned my calls.

I can only assume she didn't get the pup.

One thing you have in your favor is you're applying to adopt a senior.  I know Col. Potter likes that.  :lucky:

Edited by tlwtheq

Max and Nelly
signature.jpg.1a2f02ae93418630654caf879c6d4783.jpg

My single experience with trying to adopt from Col. Potter was not positive but then I would hate to condemn an organization that does such good work based on such a limited basis.  Their physical requirements (fenced yard, children, etc) are strict and they were singularly uncommunicative with me during the process.  I understand that strictness now but I was less charitable then.  It is by and large a good organization with a wonderful purpose as a goal.

All  you can do is apply and see how it goes.

No help on the male vs female thing--it has been decades since I have had a male dog of any breed.  It is my understanding that male Cairns are more affectionate than females which is a good thing.

I adopted Gavin at 7 and he's now 9. He's a plodding little guy but does get lively -- I think that's just his personality. He was probably plodding at age 2!

I have no direct experience with Col. Potter, but my cousin does. She fostered 2 Cairns (1 guy, 1 girl) and later adopted both of them. I know she's very happy with her little brood!

Finger's crossed for you that everything works out.

Keeping my fingers crossed for you and the boy that's up for adoption.

Until one has loved an animal, a part of  one's soul remains unawakened.  - Anatole France

Adventures with Sam &Rosie

Keeping my fingers crossed here!

"as far as i am concerned cairns are the original spirit from which all terriers spring, and all terriers are cairns very deep down inside." pkcrossley

Lynn, I am too keeping my fingers crossed for you as well. I have been looking to adopt another cairn as well. Please let me know how it turns out-how long it takes, etc.. I have never done an adoption but I think I would like to go this route next time. I am ready for any issues a dog may have but I am definitely willing to skip the puppy stage.  GOOD LUCK!!! :D  :D  :D

• Like 1

What's the difference between a 2 year old and a 9 year old?  Not too much.  The nine year old should behave like an adult but he still is a cairn and will have plenty of energy.  It will also depend a lot on his background.  Do you know much about where he came from and what kind of life he had?

Wishing you the best of luck!! You and your family would be a great fit for a rescue!

His name is  Molito! His family had to give him up. His foster has a young Cairn girl that looks and acts like Kelly in the video and they are playing so well together.

He is also close enough that I can drive to pick him up, about 4 1/2 hours away. Most of the ones I have found are just to far for me to drive, and I really wouldn't want to put a dog that has been through enough already on a plane. Not only that I don't trust people with my animals, or my human children.

I love Kelly and would like for her to have another Cairn to play the few times a week she is at home alone, but most of all my whole family wants another one. My kids at first thought they would like to have another puppy but only because of the play factor. When they say the video of Molito and how alert and active he was they said Go For It, he is perfect for us. He seems to be still active but not too active, just the perfect amount for us. Like Kelly.

• Like 1

I adopted Maggie from a shelter at eight, and she just turned nine (we know her birthday because she was microchipped). Daisy, who we also adopted from a shelter, is around 5 according to a Vet (but I keep thinking she's younger, just not sure....).

Anyway, I wouldn't hesitate adopting an older cairn based on my limited experience.  The difference I see in the two I have is that Daisy is waaaayyy more energetic and ready to go off at any moment, where as Maggie goes from outbursts of energy to lots of chill time.

Maggie is much more set in her ways, and occasionally crankie towards Daisy.

Maggie will occasionally snap and growl at Daisy once in awhile, like when Maggie is enjoying laying next to me on the couch in the morning while I drink coffee, and Daisy runs up with a toy or tries to jump up in my lap (which she does a lot!).

Other times Maggie is happy to chase after Daisy in the yard or run behind her a lttle when we toss a ball.

Older Cairns seem to have less energy then younger Cairns, but still more energy then other breeds I've been around.

As for Col. Potter, I've never dealt with them and have no oppinion.

I have TRIED to deal with some local Cairn rescues over the years, but they have all been pretty unresponsive.

I have TRIED to deal with some local Cairn rescues over the years, but they have all been pretty unresponsive.

I have had the same experience with some rescue organizations.   When we were looking for a buddy for Buffy, we wanted to get a Cairn and contacted several organizations.  Many never responded at all; some responded by sending us an application.  We'd fill out the application, return it, and never heard from them again.  Very disheartening.  Luckily, though, the Doberman rescue had taken Ziggy (Shih Tzu/Silky Terrier) to help out a county shelter and they were absolutely wonderful.  

Maybe I wasn't persistent enough so, Lynn, keep after them!

For others who might come by the forum, I had really good luck with Cairn Rescue USA (CRUSA). Although they prefer fenced yards and no young children, they seem to place a preference on finding good homes instead of sticking steadfastly to set rules.

I'm not saying the other rescues aren't amenable, just letting it be known I had a great experience with CRUSA. I submitted an application without a specific dog in mind and they matched me quite perfectly to Addie, who wasn't even listed on their site yet.

• Like 1

"as far as i am concerned cairns are the original spirit from which all terriers spring, and all terriers are cairns very deep down inside." pkcrossley

Oh Lynn, that is a gorgeous dog!  I can see why you are excited about him.  Crossing my fingers here!  

I also like the CRUSA site tho I have had no experience adopting from them.  That could be a fall back possibility but I surely hope this little guy is in your stars. My goodness!

immensely adorable. persist. i'm sure they will be impressed that you are eager to take a mature dog. surely their adoptable rates falls with age. show them he couldn't go to a better home.