CairnTalk

Overlapping Dogs - Need Advice!

Rattlesnake Gal

You guys are going to have such fun over the coming days! And Bailey is a cute name and does fit with her coloring. Funny how their names just come to you when we get a chance to live with them for a while. Our dogs love the active lifestyle, too, and both ride with us on the SeaDoo. Kirby especially likes it, while Packy is more of a slow-moving fishing boat type of guy. Well, he likes anything having to do with fishing.

Have fun and be sure to catch it all in pictures and video! I'm glad Mac is taking it well, too. Give he a good belly rub for us!

Jandy and my Cairns, Kirby & Phinney 

• Replies 77
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Tonight I gave them a little less supervision/intervention. Bailey got a little too rambunctious and too close to Mac and he let her know it. She was just perfect - flipping right over onto her back.

Things here with our fury friends are going to be just fine. I've got a warm happy feeling.

Two Cairns are better than one! Mac is so much more active and happily, Bailey loves the lake!

CairnTerrierSignaturepicture.jpg?t=1312994920

P. S Idaho - you should write a book! Your stories always make me laugh and cry!

Thanks--my Cairns just inspire me--the little things are just so much fun and so hard to lose.

Things here at our house is going wonderful! We are super happy that we brought our sweet little Bailey into our home. :hug: I have video, but haven't had the time for editing.

My mom went into the hospital last Thursday for what was supposed to be an over-night surgery and is still there. To say it's been an awful week, would be an understatement. Thank goodness she is much better now and hopefully will be home in the next day or so. I was very lucky that Paul had work to do here at home, which also helped him to bond with Bailey. It would have killed me not to be with my other best friend while she was down. Saturday we even snuck Bailey into the hospital for a few minutes in an LL Bean tote bag. She stayed perfectly still in route and didn't make a peep. Mom loved it and now she has a great story.

We've seen much more of Mac than usual. He is right there almost all the time. I won't kid you, he does growl every now and then and Bailey even got nipped on the nose on Saturday. It was actually a blessing because she is a little more respectful of his moods. You can tell Mac does want to play and does through me. They get very close during our play time, within inches and sometimes touching. Warms the heart. Sunday Mac actually grabbed a toy that Bailey and I were playing tug of war with. It was brief, but he did enjoy himself for a few brief seconds until he realized she had the other end!

MacCelBailey.jpg?t=1289952904

Mac and Bailey actually came nose to nose during this photo shoot. He didn't even growl. Good boy! I figured it would be weeks before I got this picture.

My area rugs are up and she is having a ball on the hardwood and tile floors. Enjoys peeling out and doing power slides. She loves her sheep fleece pieces, balls and the other stuff. She plays fetch quite well. Mac usually won't play fetch unless on a certain rug and for only a couple throws. These days he actually goes for 6 - 10 throws, so I'm thrilled! She especially likes my lambs wool duster/broom and the sponge mop. Housework takes much longer with the help of two Cairns. :P

Our oldest son and his girlfriend came to meet her on Sunday. Both dogs didn't disappoint. Bailey was a riot and even gave a good show of hop and pounce. I think Kayla could have lived without the puppy fart though. ;-) Just picked up some holistic food, which has to be better than the Purina One puppy formula she came with. She does eat fast, which could also be a factor.

She seems to be quite smart and is doing great with the training. Only one poo overnight in her crate (I should have got up, my bad.) and one on the floor, which was right at the front door as I was putting on my coat. I hope she continues to do so well with her training!

I promise to post the video very soon. I will be sure to keep it in order for time, so that you can see the changes in her. Puppies sure are fun and sharing that fun is an absolute pleasure.

Two Cairns are better than one! Mac is so much more active and happily, Bailey loves the lake!

Great! Thanks for the update. Those two really look like my two--your Mac is the spitting image of our Sammi and Bonnie looked EXACTLY like Bailey at the same age. There are going to be a few nips on the nose and maybe worse before they sort out the relationship but at some point they stop being rivals and become companions--then the fun really begins. You can see the dependency build and build as they begin to entertain each other. Of course we were really fortunate--Sammi was a big old pushover--she has loved to play since day one so the puppy really sparked up her life.

Thanks for the follow-up. Hope your Mom will continue to do heal up.

That is beautiful photo! Glad to hear that things are going well.

Same here, i'm so pleased things are working out.

www.cairnterriertalk.co.uk

Thank you for the update sounds like things are off to a great start. Everything you’re describing sounds perfectly normal and can get a little wild at times as Bailey feels more comfortable and decides to test you and Mac. It’s wonderful how a new puppy can bring out the youth in our older dogs – they really don’t want to miss a trick or possibly any treats.

You could be describing our daily pet activities. We brought Radar into our home four months ago and he’s still testing Casey & Bailey. (Yes, I have a male Bailey – love the name!) I have to laugh when my two younger guys get going and start running & chasing each other Casey (the ol' girl) has to go and stick her nose into it too -- she usually give a couple of barks as if to say "knock it off" then walks away content that she has done her job. They do keep me amused!

Great! Thanks for the update. Those two really look like my two--your Mac is the spitting image of our Sammi and Bonnie looked EXACTLY like Bailey at the same age. There are going to be a few nips on the nose and maybe worse before they sort out the relationship but at some point they stop being rivals and become companions--then the fun really begins. You can see the dependency build and build as they begin to entertain each other. Of course we were really fortunate--Sammi was a big old pushover--she has loved to play since day one so the puppy really sparked up her life.

Thanks for the follow-up. Hope your Mom will continue to do heal up.

I am in complete agreement with Idaho Cairns. When we added Ziggy (Silky Tzu) to our family I thought Buffy (Cairn) was going to kill him, but Ziggy was already an adult dog. I'm sure things are a little easier with an adult and a puppy; just be prepared for a few tiffs as Bailey grows up and wants to assert his place in the household. My advice would be to not interfere in these situations unless it appears that one of the dogs is actually being hurt. It's a necessary phase that will pass and, yes, the dogs will eventually become great buddies. It hasn't even been a year since Ziggy moved in and Buffy has fully accepted him. She's the ideal big sister - even rushes to Ziggy's aid when the big dogs pick on him at the dog park.

The picture is fantastic and both of your dogs are gorgeous! Best wishes for a speedy recovery for your mom.

Bailey really is adding so much fun to our lives!

Thanks for the helpful hints and bits of advice. I love hearing the stories about your babies.

OMG what a great video!!! Thank you so much for sharing with us. Bailey is simply beautiful, and what a good boy Mac is with her. You are going to have so much fun with them together. I watched it, then called Connie into the room and watched it again with her. We want a puppy!!

Jim

Jim, Connie, Bailey & Sophie

FLOWERCHILD-1-1.jpgBAILEYSOPHIE4-22-07002-1.jpg

Great video - my hubby and I grinned the whole way through. I'm now tempted to go out and get a video camera as well. As Idaho Cairns mentioned - he wished he had taken more as these times pass all too quickly. Your puppy is adorable and Mac seems to tolerate him quite nicely. You look like you're having a grand time.

Husband and dog missing ...25 cents reward for dog

I really enjoyed the video--it brought back such good memories. I see things in your pup that is so familiar--that big sigh as Bailey laid down, the absolute fearlessness with the dust mop, the obsession with toys, and that really good small bit with "No Bite!" and the ball--that is, by the way, exactly how deal with puppy biting--I notice Bailey has the "turn loose" figured out inside a week--good for her, bright little penny that she is.

Looks to me like Mac is doing fine--his demeanor was relaxed and non-threatening. As I have said before, you are in for some real romping once Mac figures out that this little girl is more fun than intrusion. Then you are going to get some real fun videos.

What a pretty puppy--I could watch them for hours. I even liked that stand up behavior against the alien presence of the remote vacuum--now that's the way a Cairn is supposed to act toward Space Invaders!

I really enjoyed the video - the puppy is so cute and funny! Love the bit with mop and the roomba!

Mac seems to enjoy her comopany and not be fazed by Bailey.

Seeing how well Mac has adjusted to a new kid on the block gives me hope that Jock will accept a new pup as well. I just love the colors of both dogs! :wub:

Until one has loved an animal, a part of  one's soul remains unawakened.  - Anatole France

Adventures with Sam &Rosie

OK..this is a little off the subject, but do you like the Roomba? I had thought about getting one.

OK..back to the subject, Bailey is so cute! I love the way Mac guards his yard too. Ozzy does the same. Ozzy came running up to me all cocking his head one way and the next when he heard Mac sing. Very sweet. I'm jealous!

What a great video, I love in the beginning how they are both perched on the window sill and Bailey looks over to Mac as if to say "I can do it too". She does look up to him -- she's the cutest little furball. Mac seems to have adjust very nicely to having her around. Thanks for sharing.

OK..this is a little off the subject, but do you like the Roomba? I had thought about getting one.

OK..back to the subject, Bailey is so cute! I love the way Mac guards his yard too. Ozzy does the same. Ozzy came running up to me all cocking his head one way and the next when he heard Mac sing. Very sweet. I'm jealous!

I just love Rover, my Roomba!!! There was a lot of whooping and hollering when my boys gave it to me a few years ago for Christmas. It works super well with the hardwood and tile floors. It does a reasonable job on the area rugs when they are down, but of course, nothing beats the beater brush on my central vac. My first battery did wear out. Paul found a better and longer lasting one that is excellent and it roams around the downstairs, without any of the virtual walls. I do have to keep clearing the filter each time I empty the bin, but that is no big deal. Mac leaves a lot of hair around the house. Is that usual? My other Cairn never shed at all. After a while, Bailey got used to Rover. She is really going to like it when she discovers that there are treats on top of it each time it starts! That's how I got Mac to accept it and it has become a ritual.

Thanks for all the great feedback on my video. You have pointed out some mannerisms that I had missed - You're right, Bailey does emulate Mac's actions. So cute!

Mac is making amazing strides with accepting our sweet little Bailey. The other night while making my ice cream base, I stepped on her bitty toe. Wow did she yelp! Mac came running to see if she was all right! Today out in their yard he let her get so close they were almost touching. The three of us played a bit of tug of war today and when Mac went running around the house, Bailey was right behind him. (At a safe distance of about a foot away.) We're so proud of them both!

I cannot thank all of you enough for giving me the courage to go and check out this puppy. It was absolutely the right decision for us, especially Mac. His golden years are going to be G-R-E-A-T!!! I'm insanely happy with my two babies!!! I sure hope she likes the boat, lake and island life. :D

Terrier lover, I do hope that you try again! If Mac can do it, so can Jock. My internet research led me to believe that a territorial, long-time only dog will be more accepting of the opposite sex. Young as possible too. Don't know if that is true, but the female is working for us.

My vet recently added a third dog to his household. One dog accepted the new member right away, but the other dog hid for more that two weeks. Now they are all good friends. Good things take time and it is very important, as you already know, never force the friendship, it has to happen in its own time. Good luck and if you take the plunge, be sure to share it with us!

6100719.box.GIF

My video was shot with FlipShare Ultra HD. We are very happy with our toy. I've been having fun posting videos on YouTube - RattlesnakeGal's Channel

A Google shopping query shows that you can pick one up for about $137! Christmas is coming!!! :thumbsup:

I love the fact that Mac came to see what had happened to Bailey - that is very sweet! He is getting adjusted to having her round very nicely.

Somewhat of topic [sorry] -A friend of mine has a roomba and her Irish Terrier won't go near it! She sits and watches it through the glass door with a worried look. Perhaps she should had treats on top too when they first got it last year.

I fancy one of those Flip camcorders and see that Amazon UK is going to have them on special offer next week for Black Friday [not normally done in UK!] so may see about one. Cannot really afford as just bought a new television as I could not see the screen of my other when Holly sat on my knee! That is my excuse anyway!!

ROFL - With puppies, you need a very good sense of humor!!!

Today I was multitasking, getting ready for Thanksgiving. Started Rover and went on to do some other cleaning. Bailey thought this was great fun! Woof!

Next thing I know, I smelled something. Oh, oh. Sure enough the little dickens dropped a nuke in the living room. Rover wasn't too far behind her. :shock:

How can such a little thing go so much?!!! Rover got a bath and the floor got washed. I'm tired. Need more Fantastic and paper towels. :w00t:

I am so impressed at how well Mac is doing with Bailey.

I picked up a sterilized beef bone with the thought that my husband slice it up for her smaller mouth. I needn't have worried about that.

11-23-2010007-3.jpg?t=1290540115

They both love the bone!

11-23-2010017-3.jpg?t=1290540619

Looking forward to this evening. Our youngest son, Jeff and his sweetheart, Mindy will get to meet Bailey for the first time.

She is going to love them, especially Jeff - she loves men!

11-24-2010006-3.jpg?t=1290541235

Tomorrow Bailey will be 13 weeks old. This sure has been a very fun couple of weeks!

Archived