CairnTalk

Packy's Unknown Tumor

kjwarnold

Packy, you look AMAZING. You are a champion and a fighter and I'm so glad to hear you're having a great summer with your loving family. You're my official Cairn Talk Hero 2016. 

• Like 3

"as far as i am concerned cairns are the original spirit from which all terriers spring, and all terriers are cairns very deep down inside." pkcrossley

On 7/13/2016 at 9:02 AM, kjwarnold said:

Just a quick update on Packy.  He's 8 weeks post-diagnosis (they gave him 3 months) and he's doing pretty well.  We decided against radiation and chemo since it would affect his quality of life and not extend it much anyway.  We're using Chinese herbs instead.  Yunan Baiyao helps with clotting, important if one of the Hemangiosarcoma tumors ruptures.  I'm-Yunity (turkey tail mushroom) is in its second round of successful studies at Penn State and while we're not in the study, we're using it to fight the cancer.  We've also switch to a freeze-dried raw diet.

I think (fingers crossed) that the re-growth of the tumor has slowed somewhat.  He does seem to have some issue with incontinence at times and definitely has to go potty more often.  I guess it's possible the tumor(s) are pressing on something internal.  Anyway, I've made him a nice denim belly band and he sports it with style and flare.  He can still swim like a fish and has been catching them daily when we're at the lake.  We do put a leash on him when he's swimming out with us now, since we don't want him to have a problem and not be able to reach him.  I swear he'd swim to the other side of the lake after a big fish if we'd let him!  We're at the farm right now, so he's enjoying long walks, Ranger rides and visits with family.  He loves going to see my folks because he gets spoiled, of course.

So,overall, I think he's doing better than expected.  We're going to beat that 3 month prognosis!

image.jpeg

image.jpeg

I love the "seal" look they get when their hair is blown; really cute.  I might consult you with regard to the herbal therapy.  Will certainly look those things up.  Hugs and scritches for Packy and Kirby.  T.

• Like 6

Max and Nelly
signature.jpg.1a2f02ae93418630654caf879c6d4783.jpg

Packy you are looking just great! Love that you can swim and play and go riding with Kirby and wonderful caring family. Denim belly band sounds like a cool fashion statement.

Tara, our Chinese med treatment is really focused on Hemangiosarcoma but I do have a friend who's Cairn has lymphoma and is still living way past what they expected.  Her owner didn't think she'd see Christmas but she's going strong today.  She is using some alternative meds and raw feeding.  She goes to Dr. Barbara Royal in Chicago.  I can put you in touch with her if you want.  Her dog, Ellie, is Kirby's sister.

• Like 1
Jandy and my Cairns, Kirby & Phinney 

5 hours ago, kjwarnold said:

Tara, our Chinese med treatment is really focused on Hemangiosarcoma but I do have a friend who's Cairn has lymphoma and is still living way past what they expected.  Her owner didn't think she'd see Christmas but she's going strong today.  She is using some alternative meds and raw feeding.  She goes to Dr. Barbara Royal in Chicago.  I can put you in touch with her if you want.  Her dog, Ellie, is Kirby's sister.

Yes, please do!  I want the Bear to have the easiest time of it possible.  For one thing, Miss Nellie is delightful and I think he would enjoy her company.  And I don't want to subject him to chemo or radiation.

Max and Nelly

Packy looks so good, it's hard to believe that there is anything wrong with him.  I'm sure that his swimming, fishing, basking in the sun and more are helping him stay strong.  He doesn't have the time to feel badly, there's just way too many things for him to do right now.  Thinking of you Packy, so glad that your enjoying your summer!

Edited by LindaMC
  • Like 3

Packy looks fantastic. He actually looks like he's smiling ear to ear in that first photo! :)

We love Packy and Kirby so much.  Glad to see they are continuing to have alot of fun together.  Love the pics!!

Elsie, Max, Meeko & Lori

• 2 weeks later...

So On Wednesday we were having a pretty good day.  The boys were fishing and we all went swimming, Packy's favorite thing.  As soon as we got back on the dock, he started acting weird.  Head hanging, didn't want to walk, just wanted to be in my lap.  As I held in, he almost passed out twice.  We quickly got an emergency "magic red pill" in him (Chinese meds that help with coagulation) and went to the vet.  He'd had a small tumor rupture and bleed, the first one we've experienced since his diagnosis.  His gums were pretty white at home (from bleeding internally) but by the time we got to the vet, he was already improving.  He's fine now.

While the vet can't really do anything for him, she did explain what to expect a bit more.  He'll have more tumor ruptures and if it's a big one, he'll probably just do the same thing and when he passes out, he just won't wake back up.  She said they don't think there's much pain except for the initial rupture.  So we're really just living with a ticking time bomb.

He's doing really well this morning.  Right after, he didn't want to want to walk and I carried him out to go potty.  Now he's doing most of him own walking except for jumping up or down on some things, like the bed. We have a bench in front of the bed for the dogs, but I guess he's not comfortable with it now.  So he whines a bit when he wants back up and I wake up and help him.  We're limiting his activity for a couple of days as he recovers, meaning no jumping off the dock or swimming.  He can fish from shore for now.  We gave both dogs some raw chicken liver last night.  Packy got a little more since we want to build his blood back up, but both Packy and Kirby were thrilled!  He's lost about 2 lbs. since last fall, not an issue now but I don't want him losing much more.

So, that's where we are.  I guess we're going to have good days and bad days.  We'll be ready with our emergency magic red pill for bleeds and just let him spend his days doing what he loves. Here's a pic from about an hour before the bleed.  Packy has the dark ears.  Look close, you can see the bluegills in the water!

image.jpeg

Edited by kjwarnold
  • Like 4
Jandy and my Cairns, Kirby & Phinney 

You are being so brave...it breaks my heart that you, your family and Packy have to go through this. I hope that he has many many more days and weeks  of fishing and cuddles and when the time comes , it comes swiftly , with little pain. Big hugs.:hug:

• Like 1

Until one has loved an animal, a part of  one's soul remains unawakened.  - Anatole France

Adventures with Sam &Rosie

Held my breath reading about Packy's episode. Hugging you all as tight as I can over the internet. And praying Packy's summer will be long and full of fish.

You are handling this so well.  I couldn't help but cry while reading your story, knowing that the nasty tumor is reasserting itself.  I'm praying that Packy gets to catch a few more fish and do the things he loves, right up to the end.  Big hugs to you.

very hard. you know packy is loving his life and loving being with you. it is hard on you, but not on him. you will be easy with yourself later when you know that packy knew you did everything for him. he loves you. i hope you have many enjoyable days ahead. 

• Like 1

I'm so sorry you and Packy have to go through all this. It is heartbreaking. We all love the #1 fisher-dog on this site. I'm so glad he's still able to do the things he loves to do. Big hugs...:hug:

fish emoticon.pngfish emoticon.pngfish emoticon.png

Keep on fishing Packy. We want you to enjoy it as long as you can.

You have a loving family watching over you - physical and virtual :hug:

Thinking of you all during this time...wishing Packy sweet days of fishing fun and precious memories for you all to treasure.

Becky & Tanner

Keep on fishing Packy...... you like Holly was are a brave little Cairn!  It is difficult at this time but letting him enjoy his days even with the fear of something happening means that he lives a good life right to end!

www.cairnterriertalk.co.uk

Packy, you and your family are my 2016 heroes for facing this with such courage and grace.  

I'm glad to hear his vet doesn't think he's in much pain or going to be. Hopefully that gives you the chance to make some wonderful memories with our favorite little fisherman. 

Thank you for sharing Packy and Kirby with us, and for continuing to do so during this difficult time. We all love you and your fur babies very much. 

• Like 3

"as far as i am concerned cairns are the original spirit from which all terriers spring, and all terriers are cairns very deep down inside." pkcrossley

I echo every single sentiment, wish and prayer written so eloquently above. 

Cherish the good days, endure the bad days. 

Love and light.

Can hardly type through the tears. I hate that you have to go through this. It is so heartbreaking. Praying for your family.

14 hours ago, kjwarnold said:

So On Wednesday we were having a pretty good day.  The boys were fishing and we all went swimming, Packy's favorite thing.  As soon as we got back on the dock, he started acting weird.  Head hanging, didn't want to walk, just wanted to be in my lap.  As I held in, he almost passed out twice.  We quickly got an emergency "magic red pill" in him (Chinese meds that help with coagulation) and went to the vet.  He'd had a small tumor rupture and bleed, the first one we've experienced since his diagnosis.  His gums were pretty white at home (from bleeding internally) but by the time we got to the vet, he was already improving.  He's fine now.

While the vet can't really do anything for him, she did explain what to expect a bit more.  He'll have more tumor ruptures and if it's a big one, he'll probably just do the same thing and when he passes out, he just won't wake back up.  She said they don't think there's much pain except for the initial rupture.  So we're really just living with a ticking time bomb.

He's doing really well this morning.  Right after, he didn't want to want to walk and I carried him out to go potty.  Now he's doing most of him own walking except for jumping up or down on some things, like the bed. We have a bench in front of the bed for the dogs, but I guess he's not comfortable with it now.  So he whines a bit when he wants back up and I wake up and help him.  We're limiting his activity for a couple of days as he recovers, meaning no jumping off the dock or swimming.  He can fish from shore for now.  We gave both dogs some raw chicken liver last night.  Packy got a little more since we want to build his blood back up, but both Packy and Kirby were thrilled!  He's lost about 2 lbs. since last fall, not an issue now but I don't want him losing much more.

So, that's where we are.  I guess we're going to have good days and bad days.  We'll be ready with our emergency magic red pill for bleeds and just let him spend his days doing what he loves. Here's a pic from about an hour before the bleed.  Packy has the dark ears.  Look close, you can see the bluegills in the water!

image.jpeg

Max and Nelly

Cancer is so cruel to our children...especially since we know how strong their will to live from day to day is so evident.  You're following (in my opinion) the best path a true and loving companion can.  We're trying to do that with Teddy as well.  We'll be with you in devout spirit and friendship.

Max and Nelly