CairnTalk

Packy's Unknown Tumor

kjwarnold

Last month we discovered a hard lump on Packy's side, right in front of his back left leg.  The vet did a needle aspiration and the results did not show anything that jumped right out as bad, but there were some unidentified cells.  We decided to watch it for a month.  

This past Tuesday we took him back in and they confirmed what I already knew, it had doubled in size in just one month.  Packy had surgery on Wednesday to remove it.  The surgery went well but the vet has concerns.  The tumor had tentacled deep into several layers of muscle and he could not get it all out in one piece.  He's not sure he even got it all since it was so embedded in.  This tumor was not like any he had seen before in his 20 years of practice.  He had been expecting soft tissue sarcoma but that's not what it looked like to him.  It's been sent off to determine exactly what it is and that will help us determine our next steps.

Packy came out the surgery just fine although he was groggy and sore that night.  I had to carry him out to go potty and around the house.  I was expecting that would continue a while considering what the vet said about how much cutting he had to do into the muscles.  We have an antibiotic, anti-inflammatory and pain meds.  Fast forward to yesterday afternoon, just 24 hours after the surgery and when I mentioned going for a walk (expecting to get some exercise for Kirby and maybe walking Packy a bit and carrying him the rest of the way), here comes Packy trotting out, tail wagging and ready to go!  That little dog walked more than a 1/4 mile around part of our usual path with no stops, trotting along like nothing was wrong!  He sniffed, stuck his head in holes and enjoyed the beautiful day.  I didn't push him at all, he wanted to keep going, but I tempted him back to the house with the promise of a liver treat.  No ill effects after and he's eating and drinking normally.  You don't know how happy that made me!  These Cairns are tough little guys!

So now we wait for the pathology report, expected in about 7-10 days.  In the meantime, he's got a big 4" incision that will need staples removed next week.  The worst part for him?  No fishing or swimming for a few weeks!  Oh, the agony of watching visiting dogs on Memorial Day, jumping off the dock and swimming while he sits and watches!

• Like 4
Jandy and my Cairns, Kirby & Phinney 

Packy is a tough little boy and I hope everything turns out OK for him.  It's amazing that he was able to take all those notes and prepare a complete report for you.:P

Helene

I'll be happy to come down and keep you occupied for the Memorial Day weekend, Packy.:wub:

Buffy

Packy you are loved by all who follow your fishing tales. I was going to say speedy recovery but it seems you have ready dealt with that already. I hope the vet brings good news, but what ever the news is I know you will handle what ever is thrown at you. You are one little tough Cairn. :wub:

Until one has loved an animal, a part of  one's soul remains unawakened.  - Anatole France

Adventures with Sam &Rosie

good job taking care of this earlier rather than later, and hoping the best for your path report. he sure is tough --and happy and optimistic! that all counts. 

Dear Packy, 

Sending you lots of love and loads admiration for your remarkable spirit in coming through this. Keep up the good work!?

FEAR THE CAIRN!

You keep showing cairnitude Packy!  Continue to recover well but take care!

www.cairnterriertalk.co.uk

Packy - you are a tough little boy! Be sure to soak up all the attention - and extra treats - you can get for going thru surgery and recovering so well.

Packy you are handling this like the tough little guy we know you are.

I love the way the vet has the patients 'make notes' and sends them home. Wish mine did that. Have to get Angus to mention that to his vet on next visit.

We'll be thinking of you and wishing for another good report.

The very best of luck to you, Packy. I hope the pathologist report is good. You are one tough little guy!  You were so smart to take notes. You could get a job as an administrative assistant while you are waiting to return to your regular fishing job. :)

• Like 2

Best wishes for a speedy & as pain free as possible recovery for Packy!  Fingers crossed for a good report!

Becky & Tanner

Fingers and toes crossed for a good pathology report and a speedy recovery. We love you here Packy and need our fisherman in shape for the summer!

"as far as i am concerned cairns are the original spirit from which all terriers spring, and all terriers are cairns very deep down inside." pkcrossley

I've been so remiss in missing this one.  Sounds all too familiar.  We're with your family...God bless.

P.S. - I'm such a dummy in not getting the signature fixed.  I'm sorry.

Edited by tlwtheq
Addition

Max and Nelly
signature.jpg.1a2f02ae93418630654caf879c6d4783.jpg

"P.S. - I'm such a dummy in not getting the signature fixed.  I'm sorry."

Hey, its nice to look at pictures of our Cairns who have crossed the Rainbow Bridge and remember the joy and love they gave us.  And even the frustrations, because, you know...they're Cairns!  Don't worry about changing that signature.

• Like 2

14 hours ago, tlwtheq said:

I've been so remiss in missing this one.  Sounds all too familiar.  We're with your family...God bless.

P.S. - I'm such a dummy in not getting the signature fixed.  I'm sorry.

I've been remiss as well. Thinking about you all and hoping for a good report!

Tara I don't see a thing wrong with your signature I agree with kjwarnold.

Our vet just called with pathology results.  Packy has Hemangiosarcoma, Stage 3.  We're being referred to a university vet hospital.  At this point, you wouldn't know anything is wrong with him and as far as he in concerned, he's fine and wants to get out there swimming and fishing.  We're kind of numb right now...

(Brad, maybe this should be with my original post.  Go ahead and move it if it's better there)

So sorry for the results. :hug:May you be comforted in knowing you are trying and heading forward to help Packy, also that he is just leaving you with a GREAT spirit. He is ready for FUN, that is what is so GREAT about this breed.

Prayers for the whole family.

So sorry that the results were not what we all hoped to hear.  Hang in there and let Packy be your inspiration to stay optimistic and take it a day at a time.  Hugs to you and yours.

I'm really sorry to hear this result.  To echo hheldorfer, live in the moment, as Packy does.  I hope he can go swimming and fishing soon. Big hugs.