CairnTalk

Packy's Unknown Tumor

kjwarnold

Hard news to hear. Not what we hoped for. Take it one day at a time like Packy does. Live every moment like he does.  :hug:

Very hard news to hear ..I can so relate. It sounds like he doesn't know he is in trouble so in his world all is well. 

Thinking about Packy and your family...big hugs.

• Like 1

Until one has loved an animal, a part of  one's soul remains unawakened.  - Anatole France

Adventures with Sam &Rosie

Olie's was a sarcoma, with tentacles reaching into the muscle, and it grew very fast.  I'm so sorry.  I hear about

pups getting cancer more often than I care to.  Scritches to Packy (and Kirby, of course).  We're with you all the way.

Tara

Max and Nelly
signature.jpg.1a2f02ae93418630654caf879c6d4783.jpg

Wishing the best for Packy and family.

This is the hardest part of belonging to this wonderful forum - worrying about our virtual Cairn buddies.

Oh Packy. I'm so sorry to hear these results. It sounds like he's in good veterinary hands and we of course know he's in your loving hands. Addie and I will be sending all our warmest thoughts and wishes your way. 

"as far as i am concerned cairns are the original spirit from which all terriers spring, and all terriers are cairns very deep down inside." pkcrossley

Love you Packy.  Looking forward to a fishing story.  Special little fisher guy. :wub:

• Like 2

Elsie, Max, Meeko & Lori

i know from experience this is the kind of news that is extremely hard to take. you need some time to digest it. i can also say from experience that there have been very significant advances in treating dogs (too bad the same cannot be said for cats). if they mention chemo or radiation, please remember that for dogs these are not particularly unpleasant --they are not trying to cure the dog, only provide more time and more comfort. dogs do not suffer from these treatments. they can also use radiation to raise the chances of successful surgery. the main problem with radiation is that, unlike chemo, it is hard to find a center that can administer it. be sure to ask the doctors anything you want to ask, and take a breath, listen to what they are saying and not to what you fear or hope they are saying. packy has got what it takes to deal with this. 

• Like 6

How is Packy doing?

"as far as i am concerned cairns are the original spirit from which all terriers spring, and all terriers are cairns very deep down inside." pkcrossley

He's doing really well.  His incision is healing nicely and we get the staples out today.  We have an appointment with a oncologist this Thursday.  I don't expect to do chemo; from what I've read with this cancer, it doesn't prolong life much.  I know with all my heart that Packy would rather spend his time swimming and fishing at the lake or hiking and hanging out with family at the farm, instead of running back and forth to the vet for chemo and treatment.  The oncologist visit will tell us how far this has advanced and teach a bit more about Hemangiosarcoma.

Right now, Packy's biggest complaint is that he can't get in the water.  We hang out on the dock and lure the big carp in with food so we can watch them, but it's not the same as jumping in, swimming and catching bluegills.  He was incredibly jealous that Kirby got to go for a JetSki ride with DH this weekend.

I do think he's slowed down some.  We know there is another tumor but not sure what kind it is.  It's small and hasn't grown as fast.  I'm hoping it's just a lipoma.  I've got some alternative meds on the way that seem to have good results for dogs with HSA.  Yunnan Baiyao helps with coagulation so if a tumor ruptures, it won't kill them.  I'm-Yunity (turkey tail mushroom) works against tumor growth and had good results in a Penn State study.  I'm also going to switch both Packy and Kirby over to a raw diet or home-cooked.  I'm still researching that.  With as much as we travel, I have to figure out which will work best.

This is a bad cancer but we're going to make sure he enjoys the time he has left.  Thanks for asking about him.

• Like 4
Jandy and my Cairns, Kirby & Phinney 

You are amazing and loving Cairn parents!  Dr Steve Marsden, a holistic vet here in Edmonton, and who lectures all over the world has done some really good treatments for animals and cancer.https://pathwithpaws.com/blog/2012/07/31/the-hardest-cancer-how-to-treat-hemangiosarcoma-in-dogs-holistically-with-herbs-and-supplements/

Edited by Terrier lover
  • Like 4

Until one has loved an animal, a part of  one's soul remains unawakened.  - Anatole France

Packy is always in my thoughts.  When will he be able to get back in the water?  I'm sure that would raise his spirits.

Has Kirby been behaving differently since Packy's surgery?  Buffy and Ziggy always seem to know when something isn't "right" with the other one and they seem to watch over each other.

Edited by hheldorfer

Yes, so much in our thoughts.  I just wait patiently to hear any news.  It will be so hard to let go of our babies that sometimes words help and sometimes just knowing that we are all there - loving all Packy has giving us.  I still have the Christmas card of Packy & Kirby tucked in bed with little fish skeletons over their heads.  Still the most adorable card.  Yes, I bet Packy was so jealous of Kirby .... soon our little Packy you can make a SPLASH.  :hug:

• Like 1

Elsie, Max, Meeko & Lori

you've got your battle plan. given the brevity of any dog's life span, every extra good month, week, day and hour is worth the struggle. hope you and packy keep on keeping on for a good long while. make it all wonderful. 

• Like 1

Packy, fishing buddy. Hope you will get back in the water and swim and fish as long as you possible can. You are lucky to have such a caring loving family........Angus

How was the visit with the oncologist?

Packy and his pack are in my thoughts daily. I'm hoping his incision heals swiftly so he can have a wonderful summer out on the water. 

Buffy applauds Packy's determination and moxie.  God bless the little guy.  Have a wonderful time floatin' in the lake today!

P.S.  Count Buffy in for the fishing tournament.

Edited by hheldorfer

It is great to see Packy fishing again. Sassy says to come out to the west coast and she will take him deep sea fishing.

• Like 2

Sassy Jan 22, 2005

AM. CH. THARRBARR LITE MY FIRE ZOMERHOF

How big are the Gar...yikes.:cry:  You are an amazing wee dog Packy! Surgery and already you are catching fish. 

Edited by Terrier lover

Way to go Packy!!! So thrilled to see you out on the water. Live it up you amazing boy.