CairnTalk

The Wonder Dog at Work

Dempsy's Mom

Yes, Jim had a new name for Worthless, but we will stay with Worthless.  :confused: He was hungry.  I see the rain clouds are coming again and tonight I think we will try the kennel.  I have a great dog house in there that is fully insulated so maybe the rain and thunder won't be so scary.  We will see how that works for him.  Right now we are all going to load into the gator and drive a couple of miles to give the bulls some salt - that will be a  nice break for him.  He really is a sweetie.  Yes, I do love animals.

Last  night, since I didn't have Worthless, I tried those pills on Digger and Elsie didn't seem to help at all.  I thought it did on Elsie a little bit, but it was hard to tell. 

• Like 1

Elsie, Max, Meeko & Lori

Oh good. Mr. Wortless is back :) Any idea where he could have wandered off to? I'm kinda of on Jim's side. After seeing what he did to that door I'd be cautious about letting him in the house. If he can chew a door to get out he can chew a door to get in. When my brother moved into his house his young Lab had to be kept in the laundry room. He would leave gifts on the floor. That dog chewed the slats off the laundry room door so he could roam the house. My brother put a piece of sheet metal on the door thinking he couldn't get through the steel. The Lab watched intently as he fastened it on the door. Next day they found the sheet metal torn off the door. The Lab did learn to go outside. In the mean time my brother just left the door open. You are very patient with Mr. Wortless, taking the door damage in stride. Jim doesn't want to see it happen again I'm sure you don't either.

Maybe someone did need to turn around. Life is different in your part of the country. I worked in North Dakota for a few weeks. Not too far from the Canadian border. Up there they write down what they need from the department store. It was 80 miles to the Kmart. On the way back if you realized you forgot something there was no turning around to go get it. Too far to go back and start heading home again. They wrote it down again for the next long trip to the store. There is a Kmart 1 mile down the street from me. If I forget something its only 3 stoplights to wait on to go back.

Hope you and Jim have a better day today. Oh, yes like Terrier Lover says, Mr. Wortless knows where his home is now.

Home again and it iS his home and he knows. What's a shoe and door when you have given a home to such a good and thankful workman.

I can say this because my furniture is chewed and my boots too. Many dogs before Angus and the little rascal himself have left their mark on the house and in my heart

• Like 1

I like the nickname Worty :). Very relived to he's he is back safe and sound.

For anxiety I've heard you can use an old sweater of yours that would fit snugly around Worty's body. The smell of you and the grip of the sweater may calm him, like your giving him a hug.

I think animals like to hide when scared so maybe some old towels or blankets for him to burrow in May be good.

A goat friend could always work too lol.

• Like 2

post-4719-0-97446700-1401656488_thumb.jp                      post-4719-0-49259200-1401656491_thumb.jp

Yes, like it or not it looks like he has claimed us.  He loved his ride today and we chased some cows across the way - now he is ready for a snack.  All is well.

• Like 4

Elsie, Max, Meeko & Lori

Whew!  It's been a crazy few days for you.  Love the pics of Wortless.  It looks like he has chosen you and can look forward to a happier life.  Bless you, Lori.

• Like 2

Ok, I just had to share this with you.  Another storm is coming and Worthless was in my way with the lawn mower again.  I have to make this my last post on Worthless.  This dog has taken over my life for the past month.

• Like 2

Elsie, Max, Meeko & Lori

I can't even imagine a dog riding on the lawn mower like that.  Buffy, for example, barks her fool head off at the lawn mower (nothing like yours, of course - just a little walk-behind) when I so much as move it out of the garage.  Wortless must really feel safe and comfortable with you, Lori.  He has such a beautiful, soulful face.

He does have a beautiful face.  Why he can handle riding on a noisy old lawn mower and can't handle a little thunder is beyond me.  But I could tell he wasn't going to leave me alone till he was where he wanted to be. Silly dog.  Where is he now, you ask?  Under my feet as I type. Perfectly content. :innocent:

Elsie, Max, Meeko & Lori

Oh we must always hear stories of your pack on the farm. I can't imagine one of us not missing the adventures, of Dempsey, Eliie, Digger and Worthless. It just wouldn't be the same without all the adventures. :)

Until one has loved an animal, a part of  one's soul remains unawakened.  - Anatole France

Adventures with Sam &Rosie

Just had another blast of rain - hated to take Worthless out to the kennel. Tugged on his leash many times before he finally gave in and came. Like you say that soulful face grabs your heart. Hopefully this will be our last shower for the evening and Worthless will have a good snooze in his dog house. Sleep well.

Elsie, Max, Meeko & Lori

As far as the medication - I will have to do some research - anything you all have to offer as far as extreme dog anxieties.  I am not real happy with the thought of medicating for 3 days.

Be extra careful with any sedatives, Collies often cannot tolerate them as well as other dogs do. Also, if you use Ivermectin on the cattle or other dogs that is something else that many collies cannot tolerate. There may be other drugs that I'm not aware of, ask your vet.

George

Wow! What a farm dog! And as has been said, he has a beautiful soulful face. After some time for all of you to adjust I bet you and Worthless will find that you've hit the jackpot. So glad you have the heart and patience to take him in, especially after all of this early drama. Can't wait to hear more tales of Dempsy, Elsie, Digger and Worthless. 

"as far as i am concerned cairns are the original spirit from which all terriers spring, and all terriers are cairns very deep down inside." pkcrossley

he is so charismatic, it seems like just his presence is calming and reassuring. he really seems like an old soul.

• Like 1

His eyes, his expression - what a lover. I think Australian Shepherd ( different from Aust. Cattle dogs) dogs have a collie background long ago.

He does look like an older dog who's seen a lot.

Edited by Hillscreek
  • Like 1