CairnTalk

The Wonder Dog at Work

Dempsy's Mom

I know .... but we love him.

That's all that matter" :)

• Like 2

Until one has loved an animal, a part of  one's soul remains unawakened.  - Anatole France

Adventures with Sam &Rosie

Wow! I missed a lot while moving. I knew you would keep this one when he jumped in the gator seat. No redneck could resist that.  :P    

We have been known to name our dogs some crazy names too. I seem to like dogs better than people these days. Dogs don't care if you are politically correct or not so long as you love em. I wish people were more like that and not so sensitive. 

I like the name Crockett myself, and Whistle. Had to throw my 2 cents in there. haha

Whatever you name him he will be happy because he knows that you love him.

• Like 2

Loved the video Tuesday. That's what I meant. Get what's his name a few sheep Lori. Or just start 'dancing with heifers' right away.

• Like 1

Woke up to a bit of a problem with Wortless.  Last night we had a thunderstorm.  Locked Wortless in the garage.  When I woke this morning Wortless was gone (pushed the other garage door open) and this is what is left of our other door.   So far no sign of Wortless - I am worried about him, :( because if someone else finds him with his butt shaved they will probably think he is sick.  Still raining.  The door is not a problem - a little plywood will patch that up and get us by.  So it will not be a fun day - hopefully he will show up.  Sorry about the bad news. 3 days of thunderstorms in the forecast. ? :cry:

attachment=6984:007 (1024x768).jpg]

post-4719-0-34860200-1401548844_thumb.jp

Elsie, Max, Meeko & Lori

Why do I find your comments rather ridiculing gone to the dogs?  Right now I am stressed.  No he doesn't have a tag on his collar because I just claimed him last week.  I have 3 other dogs that are also sensitive to storms and I don't medicate them either.  Maybe I will in the future but for right now, no.  Here in the rural area we obviously are a little more behind the times, so you'll just have to get over your rules, regulations and this is the way it should be attitude.  I am doing the best I can with the time I have available to me.

Now - Wortless was in the cat house.  He is fine.  I will pick up something for him today for medication.  Possibly grab him a tag.  I will have to think about where to keep him during these next few storms.  No - he is not coming in the house. Not yet anyway.  I do not want to go through this again, believe me.

Elsie, Max, Meeko & Lori

Oh so glad you found him! And sorry you had to deal with the stress of losing him, if even for a short while.

You are doing more than anyone could expect in the middle of a busy farming season with a poor dog just dropped on your property.

"as far as i am concerned cairns are the original spirit from which all terriers spring, and all terriers are cairns very deep down inside." pkcrossley

OK - talked to Wortless - he said, "There was a spider on the door.  He got it."  I told him, "Thank You.  You are such a good dog."  :lol:

Sorry - I was just tense this morning.  But now that I have calmed down and thought about it.  No collar for Wortless.  Most farm dogs won't have collars because of fences and shelterbelts that they can get hooked up in.  I will look into having Wortless microchipped.  Dempsy and Elsie both have collars with tags, but they are never out of my sight - this dog will be from time to time.  Digger has no collar, no tag but he also has no ambition at 15 years old.  As far as the medication - I will have to do some research - anything you all have to offer as far as extreme dog anxieties.  I am not real happy with the thought of medicating for 3 days.

Elsie, Max, Meeko & Lori

Can say no collar for any of my dogs when out in the field no dangly tag either. Or at home. Too many tails of dogs getting caught by tag in slats of chairs or on other furniture or even in their crate.

Easy to get hooked up on a branch or brush when they are off leash. They are only free to run where no vehicles and very few people about. In the last few years my dogs have been micro chipped, including Angus.

In town Angus wears a collar and leash and (after much training) walks by me.

Seems really there is no one way to care for our dogs.

It depends so much on what nature of dog is and where one lives etc. etc -  extra hard with new rescue like what's his name -Wortless is it? Pretty funny. He knows how you feel as soon as you open your mouth and that's what counts. V kind to let him know OK re the spider he he.

No Animal control within fifty miles of Angus's home.

When I had a dog scared of thunder generally acted like it's no big deal, played a game or whatever. No medication. For Wortless maybe secure him where he cannot damage himself or surroundings. Poor guy. I bet he could write a book about his life.

Sure to be a bunch of discoveries for both of you as he settles in to his new home. Keep up the good work!

• Like 2

Well, lordy, you've certainly have had a rough day, Lori. I am so glad Worty (my nickname for him. LOL!) was safe and sound and quickly found.

I see why collars/tags wouldn't be safe on a farm. Years ago, my Mandy once got the hook of her tags caught on a looped rug. God knows how long the poor girl sat there, her little head and neck hooked to the stupid rug, while we were out for 2 hours. I still use collars/tags for my dogs, but I don't have any looped rugs or pillows, and check the collar often to make sure the metal parts aren't opening up to get hooked onto something. But we are in the house, and are usually home. If no one will be home for several hours, I take the collar off. Much different on a farm with all the potential hazards. So I second HIllcreek's opinion that there is no one way to take care of a dog. Everyone's homes, properties, lives and activities are different. Lola wouldn't have a clue what to do with a cow if she met one eye-to-eye. Me, I'd run. LMAO!

Mandy was also terrified of storms, but mostly she'd just shake all over for hours and there was no consoling her. I tried distracting her, turning up the TV or radio, but I couldn't do that in the middle of the night, and it only helped for a short while anyway.  I almost was glad when her hearing started to fade because the storms didn't bother her nearly as much. We tried some treat-like meds from a popular dog supplier (can't remember the name. Dr. Something or other), but she wouldn't eat them. It was like she knew we were trying to medicate her and refused.

• Like 1

Not sure how much they would calm Wortless Lori but they helped Holly so will pass on the recipe here rather than in the recipe bit!

Heat oven to 350 degrees, mix half cup of oats, half cup rice flour, 2 teaspoons chopped mint, 1 teaspoon chopped parsley, 3 tabkesoons of oil, 1 teaspoon canomile (I use the canomile out of a teabag!), and water to make a dough (I stick a canomile teabag in water for while) and either roll out or just take small balls of the dough and flatten em, and bake for 25 minutes.

I think a collar is difficult in an area like yours, and microchip would mean he can be checked out.

Edited by josie&holly

www.cairnterriertalk.co.uk

Not having a collar on is a wise decision Lori. Just like never leaving a halter on a horse....just to many things to get caught on. Jock always went nutty with thunder but I tethered him to me (even in bed) and it worked, but some how I don't think Jim would appreciate that. :)

When you first got him you had him in a chain link dog run...he wouldn't be able to chew his way out of there, or perhaps a hay barn you could put him in when there is a storm brewing. Perhaps get him a goat for companionship.....ok I am only kidding now!

Until one has loved an animal, a part of  one's soul remains unawakened.  - Anatole France

Well - Jim & I finally got out of here by noon. I locked the dog in the shop (gave him his bed, food, water) and ran to Watertown to run errands. Went to Walmart and bought Pro-Sense anti stress calming tablets for dogs. Looks like it's all natural ingredients. Got back home about 5 hours later. We had some thunder and rain while I was in Watertown 30 miles away.

When arriving home we noticed tracks in the 3rd driveway. No one ever uses the 3rd driveway, especially when it's raining because it is so muddy, unless you are trying to avoid the house, then you would use this drive. Who ever it was drove up to the shop, got out of their vehicle (muddy shoe prints) and went into the shop. I now have a missing dog again. For crying out loud - what a day. Jim is all worried about who it was and what they were looking for, but all I could think of are those stupid --------. What the ---------. It is sunny out now and quiet. I got in the gator and drove around. Checked the cat house first, but no wonder dog. It really wasn't a good day. I don't ever recall having a day filled with such drama ... It's like - ridiculous.

Jim was ok about the garage door. But then when we went to leave for town he put on his new shoes. OMG - one of the little dogs chewed a hole in the heal. Then I did catch a little hell. I don't know when that happened. I think I will use the stress pills for myself and just call it a day. Geeze. I am hoping that he will turn up. I feel like I let everybody down .... Especially Wonder.

Edited by Dempsy's Mom

Elsie, Max, Meeko & Lori

Oh my goodness....here are some super duper hugs for you!!!!  :hug:   I feel so sorry for you right now...you put yourself out there for a animal who truly was thankful and now some one comes along and takes him or just let him out.  So sorry for your day!!

As for the two cents you keep getting from others....please take it all in stride.  If we all could walk in each others shoes...maybe....just maybe we would understand the view point and heart that was speaking for help or trying to help each other.  I think you have done such a wonderful thing taking in strays.....when my Dad was young and living on a dairy farm...strays were dumped regularly!  Just like your house.  Each dog got the name "Skippy Fye Do"...don't know why he just named them all that,,,starting at a very young age.  Now in those days....1930's...you just let the dog roam and whatever happened...happened...no vaccine...no tagging.  Well you know...it is called....FARM LIFE!!!!!  Wortless...if he has any sense about him and felt as loved as he looked in those pics...he could show up again or be found by y'all!  :hug:   Another hug for your heart!!

Also....a hug for Jim and his shoes. :hug::D   I know that when on the farm...you don't just go down the road a bit and buy another good pair of shoes...so here is to hoping it won't be long and the one who chewed is showing how sorry they are for ruining a good pair of shoes. :)

Hey..if during you hallucinations (taking the stress pills :shock::lol: )...you would like to tell a story or two...I am ALL ears,,,,,, :D .

I truly hope your day ends well...and that your week be even brighter.

This has not been a good day for you at all  :(  Not a good feeling when you see someone has been on your property. And then to find Wonder is not around. Is anything missing from the shop? I hope your place wasn't burglarized. As if you don't have enough things to do around the farm now you have to worry about this. Hope Wort shows up and nothing was stolen.

What a terrible day for our Cairn Talk family. First the heartbreaking loss of Roux and now this break in and either the theft or escape of Wortless. I am so so sorry Lori. You deserve better than this for your hard work and kind heart.

• Like 1

"as far as i am concerned cairns are the original spirit from which all terriers spring, and all terriers are cairns very deep down inside." pkcrossley

What an awful day you had! I would have been tempted to take those dog calming pills as well!  I pray Worty shows up very soon.

Did you notice anything else missing in the shop? Did the person break in/break a lock? I can't image the stress you had yesterday. Why did *you* catch hell for the hole in the heel? *You* didn't do it. Tell Jim to chill. :)

Yes, it was a very bad day for our Cairn family. :(

I pray today is a better day for you Lori. I can't imagine what you are going through. I hope everyone is well this morning. 

Wow, when it rains it pours.  Very sorry to hear of your troubles Lori.  I hope it all gets sorted out quickly and Wonder returns.

No kidding what a crappy few weeks! I hope poor Wonder wasn't kidnapped by his previous owner! How horrid for the poor animal as it's obvious he was terribly neglected. Especially after such a loving and caring new owner like you Lori.

OK - he's back.  I let him in the house early this morning.  I was nervous and kept getting up to check on him.  Jim came down the stairs this morning and couldn't believe I had that dog in the house.  We won't get into that.  We had to run to Redfield this morning so I, once again, put him in the shop and when we arrived home he was still there.  The rain is gone.  The sun is out.  The dog is happy.  Jim not so much.  We're hanging in there.  Thank you all for listening to my rants.  But I think the roller coaster is back on track.   

No nothing was stolen from the shop that we have noticed - but the tracks in the yard indicate that they drove by, turned around, came in and left the yard in a different direction.  That happens once in a while when you live on the highway - we did have cameras but there not running right now.  We have fuel tanks right out by the highway and usually people are after fuel - Jim rigged it up so we can turn the fuel off at the house, but if they want it bad enough they can always suck it out. 

• Like 2

Elsie, Max, Meeko & Lori

Lori I so admire your love for animals. I would be the same, with my DH perhaps feeling the same as Jim . I hope things calm down now. At least Wonder knows where his bone and biscuits are .

• Like 2

Oh I'm so glad he is back! You're going to have to put one of those car-tracking devices on him. :D  Hope today is a much more peaceful one!

• Like 1