CairnTalk

The Wonder Dog at Work

Dempsy's Mom

We AI'd our heifers this afternoon.  We had an extra helper.

Edited by Dempsy's Mom
  • Like 5

Elsie, Max, Meeko & Lori

Wonder sure looks like he's an experienced farm hand. Love the way he looks to you and wants to work with you. To me like a collie working sheep with the sheherd. Seen plenty of that at one time.

Thanks for sharing that great video.

That is absolutely amazing Lori! He has obviously done this before. Even when he nips he is smart enough to move away fast. How lucky you and Wonder are to have found each other. Demps and Elsie will just have to keep the gopher population down as their farm duties!

Until one has loved an animal, a part of  one's soul remains unawakened.  - Anatole France

Adventures with Sam &Rosie

I agree that is just amazing. I've seen dogs herding sheep on PBS Nature shows. This is the first time I've seen a dog herding COWS! Wonder is a no nonsense herder that makes those cows move. He is a really amazing dog.

Excellent!!!  Now the only thing to do is find a site/book on how to talk to a herding dog.  :lol:   I just love watching people in tournaments doing that thing they do with herding breeds.  He really wants to work.  How is he doing with the knots in his fur?  Sure wish he would let you use a Mars comb....such pretty colors.  You have quite a buddy to help with Angus.  WOW.....they are a pretty breed (Angus)....ok those that are vegetarians don't read.....Angus pretty good eats too!!  :D

Love the videos and the other story about how Wonder has to be on the gator...ha, ha, ha, if he could drive he probably would...just to let those cows know HE is a bossy one!!!  :thumbsup:

Thank you for sharing.....hope he "works" out to stay.

I have called a groomer, but they haven't called back - Memorial weekend and all. 

Elsie, Max, Meeko & Lori

Watching the video again I agree with shergry. He obviously has been trained and it would be awesome to find out commands that are used on herding dogs. He keeps on checking in with you to wait for commands. Love this dog!

Until one has loved an animal, a part of  one's soul remains unawakened.  - Anatole France

Certainly a Wonder Dog! He has obviously been trained to deal with cattle.

www.cairnterriertalk.co.uk

Totally agree with you , Dempsy's Mom!  Just guessing....when you waved your hand for him to move the cattle that he got the signal and did just that.  Kinda sounds like it when you ask him to "get em'"...in other words you did want him to help move them into certain areas of the farm.

Really kuddos to you!!!  What a treat each day is to wake up to such a wonderful farm!!  Always LOVE watching and reading about your life, and furkids!!  Brings back many lovely memories visiting Grandparents farm in Kansas.  Also, I don't think I told anyone this....we lived in Scottsbluff, NE for 10 years....soooooo JUST love the black hills....and SD winters...WOW can they be harsh!!  And then you think you are over the bad stuff and it creeps up on you even in May!! :shock:

:hug: Hugs to you and ALL those that farm/ranch/defend the land.....we would truly be a lost country with out your help and guidance!!

OK.  Well.  Groomer returned my call and they are booked till the end of JULY.!?  Really.  Wow - good for them.  So.?  Maybe I will attempt it myself. :confused1:  Wish you guys were closer because I don't have any real crazy dog lover friends.

• Like 3

Elsie, Max, Meeko & Lori

Ok....so probably getting way off topic.  Could a person that sheers sheep help?  Just asking....looks like they have as much control over the sheep as needed to groom a dog.  I personally razor my old 18 year old Cairn and pull the hair on the other two.  Of course the boy (18) is probably telling the girls "nany, nany, boo, boo....I don't have to go through the humiliation any more of having MY hair pulled!!"  :lol:

At this point getting towards the "dog days of summer"....time can pass SO quickly!  Any help with the fur for you and Wonder would be great!!

AND I too wish others like you were close to chat in person and laugh all day long...ooops....forgot....boss husbands might not like all the Whoo Hoo's, Yahoo's, etc. :P

Mine need a good romp around the farm....Betsy is soooooooo energetic..just can't get enough play time, walk time in to satisfy her!!!!  You have a good rose, tree, herb area and Ashes (18) will snooze the day away.  Sulley would LOVE to chat with Elsie!  Those girls probably have GREAT a many stories about past owners!!!  And even better ones on us! :blush::)

• Like 1

Btw: People that try to keep their pets in good health without spending a lot of money are not crazy, they may just be on a fixed income.

Referring to anyone or any group of people as "crazy" is offensive, just saying.

I don't get it.  Who is calling whom "crazy" in this thread?  Lori said she didn't have a lot of "crazy dog lover friends" nearby who could help her groom Wonder, that's all.  Personally, I am proud to be considered a "crazy dog lover friend".  You shouldn't assume everything said on the forum is meant literally. 

• Like 2

gee wonder is quite a ranch hand. aw shucks, ma'am, a plate a beans and a bunk will be more'n enough. happy to help. 

how did he know to come to you?

• Like 3

Wow a lot has happened since I have been away.  I just meant people who are as crazy as I am about dogs (dog lovers) - sorry if I offended anyone.

Yes, Shergry, that's exactly what I need is a sheep shearer.  Now - where am I going to find one of those nearby.  We are still planting - the only reason I have a little time today is because it rained.  Not a lot of sheep in my area and, like I said - there aren't a lot of people who would donate time for a dog during planting season. Dogs just aren't at the top of farmers priorities.

So I used my little $20 Walmart shaver, because that's all I have at the moment.  We worked on half of his behind.  He surprised me by doing real well with it.  How does a dog get this matted?  I don't understand.  Was he in a kennel?  When he first came I cut quite a bit off of him with a scissors.  So I figure I get what I can and then back to the bath tub and eventually it will be hair again.? Eventually it will look like it is supposed too?   That's what I am hoping for.  Any suggestions that you all have are appreciated. 

It is official this dog has a home with us. He is sweet.  I will get him to the vets soon.  I would like to give him a name that rolls off the tongue but I haven't thought of one yet.

Edited by Dempsy's Mom

Elsie, Max, Meeko & Lori

Oooooh do I hear you on the rain....buckets here in TX since last night.  But kinda like the farmer....when you need it "whiiiiine"...when you get it "whiiiiiiine".  (just funning....not being serious!!)

But back to that sheep sheering....I do think YOU GOT IT!!!! Keep calm and just take it ALL off!!!! :lol:  (sorry got a chuckle as I thought and typed that sentence).

My worry would be if the skin under the mat could be irritated....maybe?  But you did show closer to getting down to under coat...and I truly think that is an ok thing...it will grow back in a matter of weeks.

You deserve great big :hug: !!!  I WANT to be ONE of those CRAZY peeps about dogs, animals etc.!!  After being in a family of farmers/dairy farms/ranching....I truly believe you MUST be CRAZY to do this hard work!!  And they are a GREAT bunch of peeps!!!

If I could be there Lori I sure would help or do that sheering for you....your time is very precious!!  Really kuddos to you for doing all that you have for ALL the strays that show up at your door step!!

It is official this dog has a home with us. He is sweet.  I will get him to the vets soon.  I would like to give him a name that rolls off the tongue but I haven't thought of one yet.

Just wanted to say that this has MADE MY DAY. I'm so excited that Wonder (even if you might give him a different name) has found a home with you. He is a lucky dog and I hope you are repaid with many years of companionship and his farm work. I'm also thrilled he's going to be a part of Cairn Talk. 

I so wish I could head out to SD to help you get him all gussied up for his new life. Thank you for taking on what I'm sure isn't an easy job in the midst of what is already a very difficult lifestyle on a farm. 

• Like 1

"as far as i am concerned cairns are the original spirit from which all terriers spring, and all terriers are cairns very deep down inside." pkcrossley

Wow those are seriously awful mats! I think for his comfort and your safety, I would get the vet to sedate him and clip him right down. The trouble with small clippers is that they heat up quickly and get dull quickly which will pull at the hair.(I have that issue with my horse if small clipper are used). No doubt he will feel so much better after it all comes off and has a bath. Also with those mats there is no way he can cool off properly after being the head herder on the farm....sorry Demps I said herder not farm manager. :)

If I wasn't up in Alberta I would lend you my horse clippers...they would work in no time.:)

• Like 2

You're doing a great job with him Lori!  I second Whits' comment - hearing that you are giving Wonder a home made my day too!

• Like 2

Terrier Lover - I see what you mean.  So far there doing alright but like you and gone to the dogs suggested I may be wise to use a better clipper. 

Elsie, Max, Meeko & Lori