CairnTalk

The Wonder Dog at Work

Dempsy's Mom

Nipper stood out.  Hmmm.  Nip.  "Come on Nip."  "Sic em' Nip!"  I will have to play with that one.  Thanks for the suggestions.

• Like 1

Elsie, Max, Meeko & Lori

Oooooh!  I like Rowdy for a name!  Maybe his full name could be Rowdy Nipper Yates of Dempsy Acres.  :P

• Like 3

I have really  had a great day so far and it has even involved dealing with the IRS - can you believe I actually found a person that laughed and talked normal in the IRS department.  Whew, what a relief.  But even better - I am taking Nipper up to the beauty salon at 5:15 today. :) for his appointment.  I got my hair cut this morning and I was telling the gal about Nip.  She said that she would help me. 

Last night I laid awake thinking that I would take Nip to the vets for a clip - but I am pretty sure they would want an arm and a leg and he needs his shots yet.  So I wasn't looking forward to finding out how much they would charge.  So I will let you all know how it goes at the beauty salon.  Can my lucky day last?

• Like 3

Elsie, Max, Meeko & Lori

Love all he names, they are all great! Lucky would  work on both ends of the  story, Lucky he found you and Lucky that  you are kind and loving enough to give him a chance. Sure you will settle on the perfect name. Love the video.

post-4719-0-58433400-1401321544_thumb.jp           post-4719-0-93855400-1401321550_thumb.jp

Well, beauty is in the eye of the beholder.  We did get all of the mats out - in some cases it kinda fell out all the way down to the skin and in other cases we shaved.  Sarah didn't want to take it all the way down because she thought he would burn.  She suggested that I spray it with a water conditioner mixture and try combing it.  I may do a little of that tomorrow.  I suppose we worked on him about an hour - fill a plastic bag full of hair.

Sarah thought he was older than 7 - and when I asked her whether it be Nipper or Rosco - she thought Rosco.  I will bring up the name thing to Jim tonight and throw in Lucky.  A name just isn't jumping out at me. 

So next stop to the vets - maybe next week.  I guess that's the end of this "Wonder ful story."  Thank you all for your support and you will more than likely see Wonder in the stories of Dempsy and Elsie.  Digger by the way, still thinks that this dog is "ok" as long as he stays outside.  Digger pokes fun at Wonder when he gets to come in the house and Wonder doesn't.  Seniority counts.

Edited by Dempsy's Mom
  • Like 2

Elsie, Max, Meeko & Lori

Wow Lori - he looks so much better. You sure did a lot of work and how wonderful your hair stylist offered to help too. I have a feeling he feels loads more comfortable. I've so loved hearing his story and can't wait to hear more about his life with his new family.

"as far as i am concerned cairns are the original spirit from which all terriers spring, and all terriers are cairns very deep down inside." pkcrossley

Bless you for taking on this homeless dog and providing him with love and care. And what a great hairdresser you have! He looks so much more comfortable and cooler.

If he could talk I wonder what stories he could tell. : where he was born, where was he raised who abandoned him, who left him in such a mess. Sad but it's a happy ending. :)

http://www.amazon.ca/Safari-De-Matting-Comb-For-Dogs/dp/B0002ARR2W

These work great in cutting through mats. Just be careful as they are very sharp.

Edited by Terrier lover

Until one has loved an animal, a part of  one's soul remains unawakened.  - Anatole France

Adventures with Sam &Rosie

Thanks for telling us about him. He is not the ordinary stray dog. He has talents that will be useful on your farm. Looking forward to his adventures with Demps and Elsie. He sure found the right spot with you. I wonder if anyone else would take good care of him like you are doing.

• Like 2

He looks much better now. Probably feels better too.

Personally think Nipper not good name for herding dog. Herd 'em boy don't nip. Like Roscoe but think the name you choose for him whatever it is will be the right one. 

He 's so lucky (another good name) to have found you who are willing to help him and give him a job he knows how to do. 'That's just wonderful.

• Like 1

I love nipper also...or get um in Nip. :devil:

Edited by Terrier lover

Until one has loved an animal, a part of  one's soul remains unawakened.  - Anatole France

Adventures with Sam &Rosie

Absolutely loved the video!!! What a lucky dog he was in finding your loving home....you can tell he loves to work and please his new owners...getting to do what he was bred to do!!!! Yay!!!!

Pepper's Mom

I think he is a good looking dog under all that mess of mats and fur, with such a sweet expression. I think it is wonderful that he found you and he will be an asset to your pack! Just wondered what breed he is and then realised he is a Australian Shepherd Dog see http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Australian_Shepherd

Name - think he will decide what name he wants to answer too but think he looks like a Shep.

Edited by josie&holly

www.cairnterriertalk.co.uk

Woof! Malcolm here. Demps I have an idea. Let the new guy heard the cows. I can show you how to heard people. I'm good at it. I leap in the air and nip people. It makes them run. Demps, Elsie and I can go to the mall. We will heard the people into the mall and we won't let them out until they buy something.

• Like 1

Well, yesterday we sorted pairs off on cows.  Cows are a different story for Wonder.  I wonder is that's  how he lost a couple of his teeth?  The old cow isn't taking any crap from some bare butted dog. :)  He tried real hard, but a couple of those cows were too much.  He prefers heifers.  Then we took the cows to pasture -  he worked good then.  But when we were done he runs over and positions himself in the gator while I shut the gate.  "Ride home please."  I parked the gator in the shade and a couple of hours later I noticed that he was still laying in the gator.  Silly dog.  He doesn't sniff.  Finally this morning when I put my face up to him he found my ear - he liked that - that was the first time I heard or saw him sniff anything.  I am used to sniffers.

He does like Nip - but (and I know you are all going to have a hissy fit over this one) Jim and I were thinking .... (I hate to tell you) .... Wortless.  And he does respond to Wortless.  And it is a name that rolls off our tongue when we see him.  Like you say it's the tone and when Jim and I say Wortless!  It is a jokingly, laughable tone and he likes that.  Remember we are rednecks here.  Rednecks find things humorous where others may not. :P

Yes, he is happier with him freedom of the matted clumps.  He really is a happy dog and I can tell what's on his agenda next.  He would like a place in the house.  I am sure it won't be too much longer and he will have secured a pillow in the main entry. :( I put him in the front entry one night during a storm and he chewed on the door frame.  Guess he thought, "One more room in please."    

Edited by Dempsy's Mom
  • Like 2

Elsie, Max, Meeko & Lori

Wow, he looks fantastic!  He's a very handsome boy and looks very happy.

What does "Wortless" mean? or is it just a name you made up?

I know .... but we love him.

Best words I've heard all day. Whatever you call him, you're calling him yours and he's calling your place home.  :hug:

My childhood dog was a JRT mix called Leftover. It was because she was the last pup in the litter and no one wanted her. We loved our little left over puppy and the kids in our neighborhood loved her name. 

Edited by _whits_
  • Like 1

"as far as i am concerned cairns are the original spirit from which all terriers spring, and all terriers are cairns very deep down inside." pkcrossley