CairnTalk

2-year anniversary

Autumn & Lola

Today, New Year's Day, is 2 years since we welcomed little Lola into our home and hearts.

Lola originally lived with my DH's ex-wife's brother and sister in law. Lola also had a sister, with whom it's been said she fought with constantly.  The people who had Lola said she was mean and vicious and wanted to dump her. My DH's ex-wife took her in, having recently and unexpectedly lost her Greyhound.  However, it didn't work out and the ex-wife was very stressed with having to deal with a terrier.  After a lifetime of Greyhounds, the ex had no idea what to make of a high-strung little dog. Nobody in their family wanted her and they were going to bring her to the pound.  

DH was over at his ex's house to drop off his son to visit, and took a picture of Lola (who was then Lulu).  When he came home, he simply showed me the photo of this adorable Westie. I had been wanting a dog, and particularly a Westie (because it is the next best thing to a Cairn, and Cairns are very hard to come by, while there are tons of Westies in England.)  I said, "Bring here here! I want her!"  

I asked a few questions on this forum regarding her reported past, and how to deal with any problems that might arise regarding her "mean and vicious" streak. My fears were alleviated and Nick picked her up on New Year's Day.

"Mean and vicious" tore around the house, inspecting every corner, including us, and gave all her seal of approval. She doesn't like other dogs to this day, that is true, but she adores all people. You could turn her inside out and she wouldn't even growl at you.  In the beginning she seemed to definitely like us, although she was a tad nervous and unsure. Of course that was to be expected - it was her 3rd home in a month!  Poor thing had no idea where she'd end up next!   :confused: 

Even Nick was a little unsure (although he loved her from day one). He thought she was "a bit unbalanced/crazy". LMAO!! :w00t:   He's another one who's only ever had Greyhounds. I assured him that she was perfectly normal. We brought her to the vet for a check-up and was told she was in perfect health. We re-christened her 'Lola'. 

A few weeks later Nick was exasperated that she wouldn't come when called, "She doesn't know her new name!", he said. I said she knew it the moment we said it. She wasn't coming because she didn't feel like it. LOL! (We've since worked on this and now she (almost) always comes when called.

Nick is utterly in love with her and she is in love with her Daddy. She loves me too, but she *stares* at her Daddy all the time.  :wub:  When I got sick, she seemed to shift her focus, and now she's all about her Mummy. :D

She's been a wonderful addition to our home and we are so lucky that we got her and didn't listen to people who simply didn't understand her nutty, terrier ways.  We love you, Lola!! 

• Like 7

Happy anniversary, Lola!

Isn't it wonderful when things work out like this?  Lola was misunderstood and needed a forever home; you wanted a Westie and knew how to deal with the terrier personality.  A perfect match!

I have come to the conclusion that you either are or are not a terrier person. For us it has always been all about the terrier...doesn't really make a huge difference what breed of terrier really because I think they share so many similar traits.

Thank goodness Autumn you are a terrier person because poor Lola might have not landed up in a great home as yours if you and your DH had not understood their unique nature. :) happy home coming Lola!

• Like 1

Until one has loved an animal, a part of  one's soul remains unawakened.  - Anatole France

Adventures with Sam &Rosie

Happy New Year anniversary Lola!  I am happy that Autumn jumped at nabbing you up! :hug:

Edited by Dempsy's Mom

Elsie, Max, Meeko & Lori

Lola thanks you all, and so do I. My avatar is the photo that Nick brought home for me to see - the first pic I saw of Lola. WHO could not fall in LOVE with that face?   :wub:   She is saying, "Please come get me and take me home with you." :)

Happy Anniversary Lola, you certainly are one cutie pie.  When we decided to get another dog, we agreed it had to be a small dog but one that could hold their own against Tess.  Westie was my dog of choice, but found Maisie and never looked any further.

I am so glad that Lola ended up with you, she's right where she's supposed to be.  Happy New Year to you Lola and your wonderful family for bringing you home for good.

Happy Anniversary, Lola!  As the saying goes, 'the third time's the charm' and you are her lucky charm!  I'm so happy you found each other.

She doesn't like other dogs to this day, that is true, but she adores all people. You could turn her inside out and she wouldn't even growl at you. 

This describes Ruffy to a "T"! If Lola was a cairn I'd say she was Ruffy's long lost twin sister! :lol: Terriers are the best!

• Like 1

FEAR THE CAIRN!

She doesn't like other dogs to this day, that is true, but she adores all people. You could turn her inside out and she wouldn't even growl at you. 

This describes Ruffy to a "T"! If Lola was a cairn I'd say she was Ruffy's long lost twin sister! :lol: Terriers are the best!

It's probably a good thing she isn't, because Lola didn't like her sister either. LOL!!  Thank you everyone! :D

My mother reminded me that my first dog (of my own), a toy Poodle/terrier mix named Mandy, didn't like other dogs either. I said there was a big difference there. Lola doesn't like other dogs and will bark terribly at them. Mandy completely ignored other dogs because, bless her heart she didn't know SHE was a dog. She thought she was a little girl. :D

Happy Belated Anniversary Lola. Sorry to be so late. Lola sure did end up with the right people. Oh, just a thought, Lola probably stares at daddy because she knows she can get away with more than she can with you :devil:

Its surely a wonderful 2 years of Lola's life and you, belated happy anniversary. Wishing you all along with Nick and Autumn more happy years and anniversaries! :D

To sit with a dog on a hillside on a glorious afternoon is to be back in Eden, where doing nothing was not boring - it was peace!

Dodge - 1.8 years old rescued cairn

Missy - our beloved jrt, we miss you!

Can't believe I missed this. Happy anniversary to our lovely white Cairn!

"as far as i am concerned cairns are the original spirit from which all terriers spring, and all terriers are cairns very deep down inside." pkcrossley

• 2 weeks later...

Of all the really good "dog stories" Autumn, I think stories of successful adoptions are the most heartwarming.  There is something so right about taking a unappreciated and perhaps unloved dog into a new situation where the opposite is the case.  No creature on earth seems as responsive as a dog to human caring and devotion and no dog deserves those gifts more than one that has been pillar to posted.  Good for you and Nick, and, especially, good for Lola.

Hello forum people. I'm not sure where to post this, but I saw Autumn's name on this thread and thought it was as good a place as any. Autumn asked me to post to two of her favorite forums and to friends. She had to go into hospital today as she became very ill early this morning. I am home to take care of a few things and to collect some things to bring to her shortly. Hopefully she will be home in a few days. Thank you for reading.

Nick. (Autumn's husband.)

Nick, please tell Autumn we hope she recovers and returns home quickly.    We'll be sending prayers, hugs and good thoughts her way.  Give Lola an extra belly rub from all of us, too.

Helene

Autumn I'm so sorry to hear about this. I hope you are getting the best possible care and are on the mend soon. Addie and I send hugs and Cairn kisses.

"as far as i am concerned cairns are the original spirit from which all terriers spring, and all terriers are cairns very deep down inside." pkcrossley

Sorry I missed this post originally. Congratulations on your anniversary. It seems that Lola is a perfect crazy terrier match for your home.

Autumn I hope all goes well for you. Sending you happy thoughts.

Sassy and Dave

Sassy Jan 22, 2005

AM. CH. THARRBARR LITE MY FIRE ZOMERHOF