CairnTalk

Forum Banner Image - Test and Troubleshoot

remltr

Did you take a picture of the drawing and post that to flickr or did you save the drawing itself from a computer generated image as a jpg? I am just trying to think that if it is a computer generated image that it might be missing some kind of coding that an actual camera generated jpg might have.

Weird that the first link takes you to google search result.

Sassy Jan 22, 2005

AM. CH. THARRBARR LITE MY FIRE ZOMERHOF

I scanned it in, then saved it as a .jpg. Then I uploaded it to Flickr.

Yes, that first link is weird. Almost as bad as the second link. LOL!

I'm putting far too much time into a joke. :D

Thank you for all your suggestions!

From flickr, using flickr's own tools:

7196796144_54b9328f7d.jpg
Untitled by robinsend, on Flickr

How to do it:

post-3-0-58643100-1377874860_thumb.png click to embiggen

To me it looks like you are letting it give you HTML (which will not be allowed) instead of providing the sanitized BBCode option (selected by the radio buttons below the code sample).

CAIRNTALK: Questions? Need help? → Support Forum Please do not use PMs for tech support
CRCTC: Columbia River Cairn Terrier Club 

I can't get the size even at resizr. I type in the figures like it says but they they are overidden to some proportion the site wants. 

Brad I tried that when I was trying to assist Autumn and I wasn't having any luck, and now I see what I was doing wrong. I was pasting the bbcode from flickr into the special bb code box to the left of the font box.

Autumn, just grab the bb code as Brad shows in his post and just paste it directly into your post. Copy and paste only.

4219762005_7edc5b74ff_n.jpg
Egg Baby by remltr, on Flickr

4739831678_fa8441ffbe_z.jpg
Afternoon Nap by remltr, on Flickr

Edited by remltr
  • Like 2

Sassy Jan 22, 2005

And uh, that's an interesting use of the custom google bbcode :) All that code does is take your words (indicated by {content} below) and insert them into a link format and pass it along to google as search query (wrapped with pretty colors).

Taking this:

[google]your words here[/google]

and turning it into something like this:

<b><span style="color:blue">G</span><span style="color:red">o</span><span style="color:goldenrod">o</span><span style="color:blue">g</span><span style="color:green">l</span><span style="color:red">e</span>:</b> <a href="http://www.google.com/search?q={content}" target="_blank" style="text-transform:capitalize;">{content}</a>

It's purpose is to create a pretty link to the search terms that the code tags wrap. It's meant to be a bit kinder than telling someone"just google it" and is more like, "Here, I googled it for you." 

CAIRNTALK: Questions? Need help? → Support Forum Please do not use PMs for tech support

I can't get the size even at resizr. I type in the figures like it says but they they are overidden to some proportion the site wants. 

That's why  the original process I described to get the banners correctly sized was two steps.

1. take a big image and size it to 1400 px wide. It doesn't matter how tall it is at this point, because step 2...
  2. use a crop tool to take a 297 pixel high slice of that image

Since the image you cropped was already 1400 px wide, you end up with a perfectly sized 1400 x 297 image.

Resizr is not a complete editing application. It assumes you want the same picture you started with, only smaller (not differently shaped). Even using Preview on the mac it's two steps: resize to width; crop to height.

Hope this helps. 

I see I'm really slow to 'get' this and have been in too much of a hurry to read your excellent instructions Brad. Apologies.

:(

I'm working on yours! The reason your image won't post using the bbcode that resizr provides is because they don't provide a link directly to the image (as required by our forum for security reasons) ... they only provide a link to a script which then fetches the actual photo (which is not allowed). 

[url=http://www.resizr.com/share.php?key=3fa53a6bf4970cb2c3ba861b41dd6eee]Click to see my image online[/url]

As described in Forum Support, How To Post Pictures, you can tell before you even try whether or not an image is going to work: if the URL to the image includes a script reference or a query string, it won't work. The telltale indicators in the code sample from your resizr bbcode above is this bit:

share.php?

Bascially, if there's a ? question mark in the URL, it ain't gonna work.

Flickr provides a proper link to an actual file, although you have to dance a bit to get it (as shown in the flickr screenshot).

But where there's a will there's a way. Can you not download the image from resizr to your desktop? Then you have an actual file on your desktop. You can then attach that to a post.

post-3-0-12304300-1377878033_thumb.jpg

Hiya Brad,

Thank you for the explanation. I had it on my desktop originally, but for some reason I didn't think I could upload it to the site from my desktop. I thought it HAD to be on a hosting site. I will fiddle with it later, as I am on a deadline now, editing a book. Thank you so much for your help! :)

Brad, when you say I can "attach it to a post" from my desktop, which tool/button do I use above?  If I click, "image" or "special BB code", I am asked to put in info that isn't relative if uploading from my desktop.

Autumn,

Since Brad, like most normal people, is probably sleeping at this time of night and I am not, I will try to answer your question. I believe Brad is referencing the "choose files" button below on the left side of the dialog entry box. There is a paper clip image next to it. You have to select more reply options in order to see it. Also there is a restriction on the size of the file you can attach/upload. If that doesn't work try the basic uploader, by clicking on the phrase Try our basic uploader.

Sassy Jan 22, 2005

I hate being such a pain in the ass.

Remltr, thank you so much for all your help!  Thank you too Brad, and for the link.  Hope you have a great time at Cairntastic Day!

WOO-HOO!  I DID IT!

post-4156-0-82080400-1377960465_thumb.jp

• Like 1

Love the images, Zekey's Mom, but dimensions won't work for this application. These are 1024 x 217. Close!

Check this topic where we're learning the ins and outs of preparing images of a specific size: http://www.cairntalk...d-troubleshoot/

I've moved the posted images there. Hope you can resubmit at 1400 x 297.

Hmmm. Don't know if I have the patience to figure out what's wrong... In Photoshop, the dimensions are dead-on. Upload to PhotoBucket, then download from PhotoBucket to re-check, and the size has changed!!! Oh well.

That's a photobucket thing, most likely.  Here's an interesting topic I found Google: photobucket resizing my images:

How to Get Photobucket to Stop Resizing Your Images

Does that setting still exist on photobucket? Maybe it will help?

Edit: on reading that article, the suggestion to use GIF format to keep file size down won't work for our purposes. The background switcher is hardcoded to select one of seven .jpg files. File size should not be a problem for this size image anyway.

Edited by bradl
don't use GIF format

Zekey's Mom. That's what I did too. When the image was transferred and uploaded the dimensions change. I couldn't fix it. Kind of given up for the moment as tried a number of ways. grrr. I'm also wondering if photobucket link is the problem.

Will try the link

Edited by Hillscreek

Zekey's Mom. That's what I did too. When the image was transferred and uploaded the dimensions change. I couldn't fix it. Kind of given up for the moment as tried a number of ways. grrr. I'm also wondering if photobucket link is the problem.

Will try the link

That's a photobucket thing, most likely.  Here's an interesting topic I found Google: photobucket resizing my images:

How to Get Photobucket to Stop Resizing Your Images

Does that setting still exist on photobucket? Maybe it will help?

Edit: on reading that article, the suggestion to use GIF format to keep file size down won't work for our purposes. The background switcher is hardcoded to select one of seven .jpg files. File size should not be a problem for this size image anyway.

Thanks for the link Brad! I think it worked.

Hillscreek -- here's a link to Photobucket's support page -- I clicked on "Display my photos in their original sizes", re-uploaded the photos again, downloaded to check sizes, and they seemed to be fine (check below).

I may have spoken too soon.

Brad -- I tried posting the direct link from Photobucket, and got an error message from CairnTalk -- "You're not allowed to post an image with that extension." I went back to Photobucket and looked at the link - at the end of the long file name, it ended with ".jpg~original". The above image is the same file name, but with "~original" removed. Not sure if it posted the original (correct) file size or the resized one from PB.

Arrgggh. I hope our wee doggies appreciate what we go through for them! (Gavvy's a star, I tell ya, a STAR!)