CairnTalk

Forum Banner Image - Test and Troubleshoot

remltr

That one's 1024 × 217.  There are many ways to find image size. For an image posted on the forum I can click on it (to ensure the forum pops up the full size version), then drag it off onto my desktop, where right-click, "Get Info" (on a Mac, you may have a "Properties" option or similar) tells me this one's 1024 × 217. Or I can right-click on the image and choose "Open Image in New Tab" where the browser tab itself includes the dimensions.

Try clicking on my sample image, or remltr's, to pop up an image of the target size.

Note: the forum will FORCE a large image to fit by shrinking it down ... it does this to avoid a super-large image from breaking the layout. It's most direct to look at dimensions using File-Property or File-Get Info.

CAIRNTALK: Questions? Need help? → Support Forum Please do not use PMs for tech support
CRCTC: Columbia River Cairn Terrier Club 

Idaho I don't know much about picaso, but it is possible that it is only giving you a ratio of 297/1400. Those numbers divided by 2.17 will give you close to 137/640, which is what was uploaded. If you can send me via email your original image that is not greater than 10 mb I can try to size it for you in photoshop. My email is dnorth12 @ comcast . net  Remove the spaces of course.

Edited by remltr

Sassy Jan 22, 2005

AM. CH. THARRBARR LITE MY FIRE ZOMERHOF

Idaho Cairns

Unfortunately, I am not using a Mac, so I can't find the image size that easily--I have to rely on what the picasa program deems the pixel count to be.  Apparently the above needs to be made larger  and I am getting a feel for the "custom crop" function and will try, using percentages, to increase the banner to the usable size.  I doubled the initial test image from 1400x297(picasa count) to 2800x596(picasa count) and got an image of 1040x217{ your count} from 640x137 {your count} so it is simple mathematics to get it all up to the proper size.  Once I get it to your usable size thru trial and error I can simply go back in to the original images and resize them.  Now it is all a matter of getting it done.

One other possibility is when saving the image, like in photoshop, there may be different levels of quality. Try saving again before you go through all the other stuff and see if there is save at the highest quality or some such option that would give you the full size you are working with as opposed to a smaller image size with the same ratio.

Sassy Jan 22, 2005

Idaho Cairns

I was wrong, Picasa will resize and here is an example of resizing a previously cropped photo with some distortion that is obvious when resizing to the required size.  Brad, review it for me with your measurements and see if THIS if finally the right size for the banner.

DSC05034-001.JPG?gl=US

Edited by Idaho Cairns

Idaho Cairns

Better yet, here is one of the initial considerations resized instead of custom cropped to the dimension required.  Tell me if this is correct.  Sorry about all of this but .... I do want to get it right.

DSC00710-001.JPG?gl=US

• Like 1

Interesting.  I cropped mine in Photoshop and got it to 1400 x 295.  After I save it, it was still the same size when I right-clicked Properties.  I saved it to Photobucket and gah!  In there it's 884 x 186 and if I right-click it here, it's 1024 x 215.  Weird...  Not that I want this picture to be in the banner, but I was just playing around with getting the size right.

Jandy and my Cairns, Kirby & Phinney 

I couldn't get the size right in Picasa at all! Most I got was distorted like Idahos with ball.

I've had better luck with pixlr. I'm not the greatest photographer but it is fun playing with this. Will post if I ever get a decent one.

Edited by Hillscreek

2012-10-31DogsinLeaves-Narrow_zps68edf7e

This is a great image. I would get it to the right size and submit. Beats the one I submitted. I show the actual size as 1024 x 215

• Like 1

Sassy Jan 22, 2005

I have the worst time trying to upload photos here. I have mine on Flickr. I clicked on the "image" button above and copy and paste the link/code and it keeps telling me that I'm "not allowed to use that image extension on this community"?  It is a .jpg file.

I have the worst time trying to upload photos here. I have mine on Flickr. I clicked on the "image" button above and copy and paste the link/code and it keeps telling me that I'm "not allowed to use that image extension on this community"?  It is a .jpg file.

I had the same issue with flickr. Don't really use it anymore.

Try this:

On the flickr site click on the share button and copy/grab the html/bbcode for the size you want.

Come back here to your reply and click on the icon to the left of the font window at the top of the reply box. It is called special BBcode, looks like a blue computer monitor. On the pull down select google and then paste the bbcode that you copied from flickr into the content box. When I do it I get a double image and some extraneous code, but at least the image shows. Example below. Maybe Brad knows how to clean it up.

Google: 4739831678_fa8441ffbe_n.jpg" target="_blank" style="text-transform:capitalize;">4739831678_fa8441ffbe_n.jpg

Sassy Jan 22, 2005

Thanks, Remltr. I guess it is just me! I followed the instructions exactly, but still it didn't post. The second link does lead to it, but it won't actually put the picture in the post. :(